Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 13 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:50 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/23/24 08:21 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/23/24 06:45 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 03:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Re: The Origin of ...
#366320 08/30/02 09:00 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
He Who Wanders said:
"By the way, you won't remember me, but you signed some LSH issues for me at the KC con back in March or so. I just wanted to say thanks again and for taking the time to chat and show me samples from the Legion "cartoon" that somebody was making."

As a matter of fact, I do recall talking with you at the convention. Thanks for hanging out and shooting the breeze.

Steve

#366321 08/30/02 09:20 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Reep:
Thanks for the info, Steve.

But to be clear, is it your understanding that a fill-in penciller/art team has been selected or that a regular penciller has been selected. Or, I guess, even both.

And by "in place" do you mean already in current production of drawn pages?

Look forward to your issue whenever they appear. (BTW, what Legionnaires are you really looking forward to drawing?)
I'm reposting the follow-up Q's, Steve, in case you missed it at the bottom of the first page.

#366322 08/30/02 09:33 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Shaggydoo said:
"I always believed you are one of the best dc artist and it would be great it you did more interior art.

Also what happened on your stint with DOOM PATROL ? Again it was tremendous art and then you were replaced , why ?"

Thank you very much for the kind words.

You know, when I started out in comics, I really was a kid in a candy store. I wasn't the least bit competitive with, or envious of, other artists. I was just happy to be contributing to an artform that I'd loved all my life. What motivated me was the challenge of bettering my own skills and doing the best work that I could do.

Unfortunately, on the Doom Patrol, I was convinced that I was not going to be able to continue to do my best work. I was fortunate on DP to be working with an inker of my own choosing, the very talented Gary Martin. I also got to work with one of my favorite people in the comic industry, a man who loves the Doom Patrol as much as I do, Paul Kupperberg. Beyond that, I really don't want to say. For the record though, I asked to be taken off of the title, citing irreconcilable creative differences.

Under other circumstances I'm convinced that Paul, Gary and myself could have created a Doom Patrol that could stand proudly with the work of Drake and Premiani.

I'm really glad that the Doom Patrol issues that we did produce together seem to be fondly remembered.

Steve Lightle

#366323 08/30/02 09:45 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Reep asked:
"But to be clear, is it your understanding that a fill-in penciller/art team has been selected or that a regular penciller has been selected. Or, I guess, even both."

My understanding is that a team is in place, presumably as series regulars. Perhaps the writers are the same, just teaming up with a new art team. I really don't know.

I'm looking forward to drawing today's Legionnaires. Each character presents intriguing challenges, and I enjoy the challenge of finding the essense of each character. And no, I've not settled on a favorite yet. Still, I'm sure I'll discover favorites as soon as the work begins.

Steve

#366324 08/30/02 11:39 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Steve, it's great to hear that McAvennie is going to let you draw some Legion again! I certainly hope this doesn't fall through as I've heard has happened before [shut up, Lardy--don't jinx it!]

Apparently, he's giving the fans a measure of what we want. Good for him! Now, we just need to get you as the regular artist....

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#366325 08/31/02 03:20 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Latino Lad:
I remember that issue. I think it was Christmas with the Superheroes 1 or 2.

That was it LL, "Christmas with the Super-Heroes #2", from 1989. And I got the quote backwards. Basically, Deadman is feeling sorry for himself at Christmas because he's alone, and Kara reminds him that heroes give their all even if no one remembers we ever even existed. The final caption thanks the creators of Supergirl by name, and assures them "We still remember".

Mark Waid was the editor of that story. So, are you saying he was fired as an editor after this? Good! He's too good a writer to not be devoted to it 100% of the time.

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#366326 08/31/02 04:35 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
>[...] Kara reminds him that heroes give their all even if no one remembers we ever even existed. <

An appropriate thought, in regard to many civic heroes, before another Nine Eleven rolls around.

And before that particular heroism is, well, put to one side in the public consciousness by the coming war.

... I'm sorry, the tragedy to come -- and war is always a goddamned tragedy, whether it's necessary or not -- has been weighing on my mind.

End of digression.

#366327 08/31/02 11:46 AM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Omni Craig said:
"Mark Waid was the editor of that story. So, are you saying he was fired as an editor after this?"
I never heard that anyone was fired for editing a Supergirl story after she was written out of continuity. I think this must be a rumor or revisionism at work.

#366328 08/31/02 11:57 AM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Eryk Davis Ester asked:
"Can you give us any info on some of the background characters from the try-out issue (#14)? Particularly the two flying fish types and the red skinned girl with the bandana who made it on the cover."

Those "fish" characters have been referred to as Skreaks ... because that is the sound that Paul had them emitting whenever they appeared. I just remember tossing them in the backgrounds for some kind of visual continuity. I would repeat species types in scenes that called for the casting of "extras" specifically to make the Legion's universe seem more real. Too often artists would create alien characters only to discard them and create new ones for the next scene. Having familiar background types seemed more realistic to me, and may have helped make it all seem a bit more real ... I hope.

Steve

#366329 08/31/02 11:57 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Steve Lightle:
Those "fish" characters have been referred to as Skreaks ... because that is the sound that Paul had them emitting whenever they appeared. I just remember tossing them in the backgrounds for some kind of visual continuity. I would repeat species types in scenes that called for the casting of "extras" specifically to make the Legion's universe seem more real. Too often artists would create alien characters only to discard them and create new ones for the next scene. Having familiar background types seemed more realistic to me, and may have helped make it all seem a bit more real ... I hope.

And your efforts are appreciated, Steve! Just one request... when you do your fill-in issue(s), could you work the "Skreaks" into the background somewhere?

#366330 08/31/02 04:19 PM
Honorary
Honorary
The issue to which Steve and some others refer is probably my favorite Baxter issue. As Steve said, creating a cohesive and complete universe for the characters really makes you care about them and makes it all "real."

I've said it before, Steve is one of the all time great Legion artists.

#366331 08/31/02 05:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
"Skreaks"? How about calling them "Pisces"? As the Legion needs a water-powered member, Pisces would be perfect since they would be the one to have an ability to create waterspout, water vortex, hurricane, water-shooting from their mouths, etc...they have potential...I admit that I am the one who wanted to see them to join the Legion, instead of Tellus or Energy Boy or whoever.

#366332 08/31/02 05:36 PM
Active
Active
To bad about Doom Patrol - I remember buying the issue after you left and being utterly horrified by how butt-ugly Erik Larsen's art was. To go from an artist like you to Larsen's intentionally more harsh-on-the-eye style seemed a bit of a reckless editorial decision. But there you go. If you'd stuck with the title though I doubt Morrison would have been asked to come on board to re-vamp it as soon as he was.

What about the Mentalla question though? Did you design it as a retro-tribute to Saturn Girl? I always assumed it owed more to Nemesis Kid - after all, that distinctive yellow-and-green helped plant the idea in the readers minds that she was a traitor.

Also - this has been bugging me (saddo!) for a while - who exactly was Terrus in the LSV? Did Levitz give you any clues as to what that character was supposed to be about?

#366333 08/31/02 06:29 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Comet King:
Also - this has been bugging me (saddo!) for a while - who exactly was Terrus in the LSV? Did Levitz give you any clues as to what that character was supposed to be about?

Good question! The "Who was Terrus?" thread comes up here every few months, so it would be nice to have a less speculative answer.

#366334 09/01/02 03:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Comet King:
. . . I always assumed it owed more to Nemesis Kid - after all, that distinctive yellow-and-green helped plant the idea in the readers minds that she was a traitor.

I don't remember Mentalla as being a traitor.
She went undercover to break-up the new Fatal Five and show her worthiness to be in the Legion, I thought.
And was killed.

I know Steve has said he designed Mentalla using his wife as the model (and shown pictures).
He didn't mention the color scheme, though.

Shady

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#366335 09/01/02 04:15 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
but her costume was soo similar to Saturn Girl's first appearance in Adv. #247 so we wonder if Steve used that as a homage. Is that it, Steve?

#366336 09/01/02 06:44 AM
Active
Active
Yeah Shady - I know Mentalla went undercover etc. but for the issues after she tried out for the Legion and before she used her powers against Flare there was the big mystery about where she went after she joined the Academy etc culminating in the "shock" revelation she'd joned the Fatal Five. We didn't actually know she was infiltrating the Five until the issue (or mebbe issue before) she died - we were supposed to assume she'd genuinely gone bad.

#366337 09/01/02 03:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Traitor is just a big label to use on someone who wasn't.

Nemesis Kid wasn't really even a traitor, he was a spy and undercover agent for the bad guys/enemy.
He wasn't a good guy who changed and joined the other side, he was ALWAYS on the other side.

A 'traitor' is someone like Saruman from LOTR.

Shady

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#366338 09/01/02 10:41 AM
Active
Active
Whatever

#366339 09/01/02 10:54 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
The point is, that she was believed to be a traitor, even if she didn't actually turn out to be one.

And one could argue that she betrayed the Emerald Empress.

But I think it's more likely the costume was meant as an homage to the early Saturn Girl. The similarities are far greater than to Nemesis Kid, anyway.

#366340 09/01/02 11:23 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I got his point Eryk, it was just too glib for me.

Mentalla didn't betray the Empress either, she was 'undercover'.

Do you think that a policeman or military agent who goes undercover to catch criminals or terrorists should be labeled 'traitor'?

Words like that have MEANING.

And CK ~ 'whatever' right back at you, dude.

Shadowplay

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#366341 09/01/02 12:10 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Sorry, but it does seem to me that if you earn somebody else's trust by making them think that you are loyal to them, and then help their enemies, that the correct description of your actions is that you have "betrayed" their trust, that you have betrayed them, and so, to that extent, you are a traitor to their cause, even if you were never sincere in adopting their cause in the first place.

That is not to say that such actions might not be the morally best actions to take, and appropriate in certain circumstances, just as it may sometimes appropriate to kill or steal from others. Robin Hood is no less a thief because he robs those who are wealthy in an unjust system and gives to those who are victims of the system.

#366342 09/01/02 12:55 PM
Active
Active
Hey Shady, fancy splitting this hare?

\\
\\_
(')
/ )=
o( )_

#366343 09/01/02 12:57 PM
Active
Active
Rar! Curses! It didn't work!

(it was supposed to look like a bunny rabbit for pete's sake...)

#366344 09/01/02 01:58 PM
Active
Active
"I got his point Eryk, it was just too glib for me."

We're discussing comic book characters here, not real people, remember? Why make such a big deal out of things?

Or should people just not bother posting in case they ruffle the feathers of the ultra-pedants?

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,913
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Queer Legion
Queer Legion
North Carolina
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star