Roll Call
2 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Lard Lad, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 11 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:37 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:37 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:36 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:34 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/22/24 02:40 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 16 April 24
by razsolo - 04/21/24 04:25 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DISCUSSION: Should this forum be used primarily for “serious” topics?
#368078 07/18/03 01:23 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
I'm probably going to catch hell for this, and I may be out of line raising this issue, but I’d like to know how everyone else feels about it.

I was under the impression that this forum was gravitating toward the more “serious” topics, like discussions of Legion eras, Legionnaires, their histories, artists and writers, as well as fan memoirs, some Legion inquiries of newer fans, and of course Legion trivia.

Likewise it seemed that the Mission Monitor Board forum was becoming the home of the more playful and whimsical posting.

But recently it appears to have changed.

I raise the issue because I was considering spending time updating the “Turning Points” topic with a continuation of my What If scenarios of early Adventure. I have mentioned that this is time-consuming; let’s face, it’s writing, not just our usual off-the-cuff posting.

But when I look at page one of this forum, I realize that perhaps within 15 minutes after posting it may be pushed halfway down the page, and who knows, in 3-4 hours maybe on page 2. It’s discouraging, because why spend all that time writing when it’s isn’t going to have a reasonable amount of board “visibility” before it gets buried? I think we all have expectations of a minimal amount of board visibility in our topics and posts.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not at all against the playful topics. I myself create some in this ID and also in my alt ID of Nardo, but I’ve been trying to keep any such primarily humor topics over at MMB. It seemed the right place.

We all enjoy adding humor to our posts and appreciate others doing it, but this sheer volume of spontaneous whimsy topics seems inappropriate in what this forum was shaping up to be.

Basically I’m saying, kids, c'mon, please don’t play in the study area. Could you take it outside?

The solution to this issue isn't flagging topics. For example, I created "Turning Points," but I don't think it deserves a "top" flag. And you can't flag all the serious topics.

Adding another forum seems unnecessary. We already have, what, 13? I'm not suggesting making new rules or new forums. I'm suggesting consideration for others' interests.

Am I being unreasonable? A grouch? I'm sure you'll tell me.

So how does everyone else feel? Should this forum be primarily for “serious” topics, or is a high volume of spontaneous whimsy topics appropriate in this forum?

Try not to burn my ears off.

ChameleonBoy

Re: DISCUSSION: Should this forum be used primarily for “serious” topics?
#368079 07/18/03 01:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I agree.

I don't think you're being unreasonable.

Maybe some clarification and renaming of the forums would be appropriate?

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#368080 07/18/03 01:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
As much as I dislike the idea of "rules", Reep has a point. I don't see anything wrong with fun titles and posts. But there is no reason they can't be contained to the Mission MOnitor Board.

What does everyone else think?

Touch the magic...
#368081 07/18/03 01:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think that seems reasonable. I realize that even serious topics can take a turn for the whimsical, but having them all mixed together does make it difficult to find topics. I certainly do partake of the whimsy threads from time to time, but in the general forum I primarily look at the more serious discussions. And sometimes those topics do tend to get pushed down quickly, so if you're looking for serious, it's tough to find them. That was my only complaint with the DC Legion Boards.

There are plenty of available forums here at Legion World. I think it sounds reasonable to have one forum dedicated to serious Legion-related discussion. That still leaves plenty of places for strictly whimsical threads. There can easily be something for everyone here smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#368082 07/18/03 01:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I certainly don't think you should tell people how to post, Reep.

As far as the "serious" vs. "nonserious" topics, I DEFINITELY think there's room for both. I'm sure once we have the next issue of Legion there will be lots of serious discussion about it.

It sounds like you're miffed about a thread you spent a lot of time on being pushed down, which is something we can all relate to, but that's the nature of posting on a message board! Not every post, serious or playful, is going to get 200 responses. I've definitely had my share of both, and I know how frustrating it can be when a fave topic doesn't catch fire like you think it should.

I definitely don't want this forum to be SERIOUS all the time. As for Thriftshop Debutante's "whimsical" topics she posts every so often en masse (and let's not be coy about it, let's call a spade a spade and talk about what this thread is REALLY about,) I like the lightening up of the forum she brings. And usually, the board irons itself out in a day or so.

EVERYONE has the right to talk about what they want to talk about in this forum, as long as it is LEGION-RELATED, whimsical or not. I like having the mix of humor and seriousness to pick from.

Mission Monitor Board seems to be a catch-all, anyway, and it's main emphasis seems to be the lives and idiosyncrazies of the people who post here: thus the different "rooms." Anyway, that's my two cents.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#368083 07/18/03 01:43 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I think all of the Legion World forums should be funny and non-sensical. Even the "study forum".

But that's just me. Sometimes you just gotta let the thread live or die under it own momentum. Sooner or later, all threads get pushed to the bottom. Take satisfaction out of the time that you put into it, and don't worry about whether or not the thread gets pushed to the bottom in a posting frenzy.

If you really like the thread, you can always come back and bump it occassionally.

I'm off to check out all the fun on the Mission Monitor Board. I didn't know there was fun to be had there...

Something Filthy!
#368084 07/18/03 02:02 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
I'm sorry but I don't think all the forums should be funny and non-sensical. Why? I can't even understand that viewpoint. Should all meals be hamburgers? Should all music be country western?

What is wrong with having a forum that's mostly serious? Why does it have to be flooded with whimsical topics?

I'm not at all telling people what to post and I don't appreciate anyone making that mis-representation. I'm simply suggesting there are appropriate areas for appropriate topics.

Yes, there is of course room for both serious and whimsical topics. Does it have to be on the same forum?

Would you expect to do practice music in a river? In a flood?

Why not utilize separate forums for separate "attitudes?"

I'm not suggesting anyone stop posting anything. I'm suggesting they consider the most appropriate forum.

What's wrong with that?

#368085 07/18/03 02:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
I certainly don't think you should tell people how to post, Reep.
I don't really think that's his intention, Jeff. One of the biggest problems the LMBP ever had to face on the old DC Boards was that some people on the Legion Board didn't appreciate having our whimsical threads mixed into their more serious topics. They weren't really interested in whimsy, and it was a pain for them to have to search through our posts to find topics that interested them.

Our answer was to go over to the Legionnaires board, where we more or less had free reign to be as wacky as we wanted, since really no one else was posting there. It was all good until the two boards were combined into one, and we tried to bring our brand of topics back into the Legion board. We had the same problem again.

Now, it doesn't seem to me that anyone is saying that everyone has to make serious posts only. What is being asked for is one forum in the Legion Clubhouse to be for more serious Legion discussion, while the rest can contain the more zany threads. I don't think that seems unreasonable. It makes it easier for people that want serious discussion to find topics that might interest them, while at the same time it allows plenty of opportunity to be as offbeat as we want.

Everyone has the right to make the kind of posts that interests them. I would hope that, in a community of our own, we could at least consider compromising a little bit to make such posting easier for everyone. It doesn't seem to me like that's asking for too much.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#368086 07/18/03 02:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, I apologize for my opening statement, Reep. It came out harder than perhaps I intended, and your points are valid. So are yours, Cru.

Still, I don't think I like the thought of having this forum only for "serious" discussion of Legion topics. I think that lmiits the creative energy of the forum... significantly. However, that's only one Kid Prime's opinion. I'm sure there will be others.

It just reminds me of the Labradorian's thread back at Legion HQ in which he wanted to limit the "gay" topics there. Is there a difference? Or does that mean we should have a "Gay" section of this board, too, once someone has a problem with it?

#368087 07/18/03 02:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I don't think it's a matter of limiting topics. It's a matter of putting the sillier topics in another forum...that's all.

#368088 07/18/03 02:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't know any of you as well as most of you know each other, so I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes.

I agree with Reep about "departmentalizing" the forums. Why would we have different forums if there is no distinction between them.

I in no way condone limiting ANY topic. But putting them in a specific place does not seem harsh or in any way limiting to one's creativity.

Feel free to tell me to shut up! confused

Touch the magic...
#368089 07/18/03 02:40 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I'd be all for having a forum set aside for the more "scholarly" discussions, because they do tend to get buried, and sometimes I forget topics I've posted on unless I go digging through the back pages. It's not really an issue for me, but what the heck, within Scott and Gary's discretion, this is our playground, not one forced on us by the man so why not be as accomodating as possible?

#368090 07/18/03 02:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
We could call this forum the Time Institute.

Sound scholarly...heh laugh

#368091 07/18/03 02:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, and I'm all for doing whatever everyone else wants to do, when this runs its course.

I still see this as the intellectual equivalent of making certain topics sit in the back of the school bus. I think intellectual segregation is still segregation. And as we've seen in history, "separate but equal" facilities aren't equal at all. Anything but. I'm uncomfortable with this. I know it's hyperbole, but I really do see this as the Legion Message Boards equivalent of whites not wanting to live next door to blacks. Let's just put all the funny, whimsical topics in a ghetto where we won't have to look at them anymore.

#368092 07/18/03 02:52 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Methinks I will agree to disagree with you on this and leave it at that. As I do not want to get into a back and forth on what I exactly think of your parallels in your last post.

Maybe changing the other forum to the LMBP hangout might work too. With a slight adjustment to the explanation of the forum.

Just suggestions.

#368093 07/18/03 02:53 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I come to this message board to talk about a comic book that I like. I go to Peegs.com to talk about Indiana Basketball. I go to Cubs.com to talk about Cubs baseball. I don't think I have ever talked about comic books at those two places, much like I usually don't talk about basketball and baseball here.

I'm usually not serious on any of those boards, but there is a time for that too I guess.

To me, a comic book forum is the appropriate place for whimsical topics and fanciful threads. If a serious post or two gets thrown in, then I am all for those too.

But a guy like me is going to look at those serious threads and try to find humor. I like to laugh and smile. Sometimes I smile then I laugh. I like hamburgers and if you are going to practice music underwater, I would suggest something other than a woodwind. Maybe a nice string or percussion would work better.

Something Filthy!
#368094 07/18/03 02:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Still, I don't think I like the thought of having this forum only for "serious" discussion of Legion topics. I think that lmiits the creative energy of the forum... significantly. However, that's only one Kid Prime's opinion. I'm sure there will be others.
I guess I don't see how it would limit the creative energy if we had one "Serious Legion forum" and one "Silly Legion forum," for lack of better names. I mean, does seeing a thread about "Should Imra be held accountable for telepathically controlling the other Lost Legionnaires?" inspire you to start a thread about "If blondes have more fun, should Imra loosen up?" Maybe it does. I don't really understand where the inspiration for some of the wackier threads come from. Is it any more restrictive than having a separate forum for Legion fan art and fan fiction?

On the other hand, is it completely fair to force people not interested in wacky threads to wade through them, searching for serious topics that might interest them, when we could just as easily place the serious topics all in one place?

It just reminds me of the Labradorian's thread back at Legion HQ in which he wanted to limit the "gay" topics there. Is there a difference? Or does that mean we should have a "Gay" section of this board, too, once someone has a problem with it?
In all honesty, if enough people were truly bothered by all of the "gayness", then yes, I think the matter should at least be discussed. It doesn't mean that "gay topics" should be or would be quarantined into its own section. But if people have legitimate concerns, I think that they should at least be addressed, which is all Reep seems to be asking for.

#368095 07/18/03 03:11 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
First things first: I would have no great objection to having this as the serious/academic discussion board. Reep was clear that he did not want to step on any toes, and his points are taken. Personally, I like the funny stuff; there's so much misery in the real world. I'm a prime offender for taking threads off-topic and into the stupid zone; speaking for myself, I am quite willing to try and accomodate the wishes of the group If LW chooses to have a serious-only board.

However, ***sigh*** did any series of posts ever trigger more smart-ass reponses in my mind than this one?

And I am being serious now: when you say No Whimsy Here, it almost begs for the rule to be broken. How and where do you draw the line on "serious"? I don't think it's feasible to have a hard and fast rule, unless Torquemada registers and agrees to be a moderator. (He was the Spanish Grand Inquisitor, in case someone doesn't know - a My Church, My Rules sort of guy.) So, despite everyone's best intentions, it may not be a perfect Legion World whatever may be decided. In the meantime, take a deep breath, count to 10 and bump your post.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#368096 07/18/03 03:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It helps if posters follow the topic of the thread (except of course non-sequitor lad). The same applies to the forums.

Without putting out new "rules," simple wording of forum topics would take care of any whimsical versue serious issue wouldn't it?

On the old board, a poster would have to try pretty hard to push all the topics off the front page, this one has fewer threads per page. It's simply a matter of encouraging self awareness to those that occasionally go on thread creation rampages. They will respect the wishes.

What was this thread about?

#368097 07/18/03 03:14 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Originally posted by Dev Em:
We could call this forum the Time Institute.

Sound scholarly...heh laugh
I thought about The Time Bubble.

Kid Prime, there already is forum segregation, (which is a very loaded term whenever used, as is "serious" - serious comic book discussion can be fun without the whimsical.)

We've had a taste of anarchy at Rob's. I'm hoping we've learned from that the critical need to allow different people their different spaces. Requesting that whimsical stuff primarily be posted elsewhere or at mostly MMB is recognizing our differences, it's not punishment or anything resembling true disenfranchisement.

Because if we don't allow us our different spaces, I tell you, we're going to eventually have another bad confrontation like Rob's MB meltdown.

We have to respect our differences and that requires the maturity to not flood-post were others don't want you to.

Some of us consider it a form of spamming. I get close to that opinion at times. And I really don't want to be that way. But if it's constantly there...

Members have to respect each other enough to not adopt a "Rob-MB-esque" carte blanche attitude to their posting, that anything goes because nobody's stopping them.

NOBODY wants a lockdown here, but carte-blanche attitudes will eventually cause this, if only from angry reactions to it's disrespect.

And that's all it comes down to: respect for others.

Balance spontaniety with consideration for others.

ChameleonBoy

#368098 07/18/03 03:27 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
It seems some posters are assuming absolutes in my opinion when I've been explicit in using relative language because that reflects my opinion.

I'm not for turning this into a dead-serious forum. I want it to remain the fun-serious forum it has been.

But a flood of, IMO, inappropriate whimsical topics changes that dynamic into forced FUN-FUN-FUN-FUN! and maybe a little serious back on page two.

It's like we've all been ordered to have FUN! And only one kind of fun.

Achtung, baby?!

Again, whimsy isn't the only form of fun. And if "serious" discussion of Legion and such isn't your form of fun, well, nobody's forcing you to like it. We're not flooding the forum with 20 serious topics in 20 minutes.

Fun's fun. So is seriousness, if it's your cup of tea.

Fun is a multi-facted entity. Like Dr. Mayavale.

#368099 07/18/03 04:08 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Whoa! Spend 11 hours buried knee deep in data files and reports and you guys get deep. Give me some time to get home and digest all the posts and I'll reply as best I can. I just wanted you to know that this topic isn't going un-noticed by myself. And I'm sure Gary will chime in as soon as he has time.

#368100 07/18/03 04:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I still see this as the intellectual equivalent of making certain topics sit in the back of the school bus. I think intellectual segregation is still segregation.
I don't think of it that way. There is no real "back" to this bus -- imagine a round bus if you will, that has no front or back -- just seats! I think Reep's actually worried that he's going to end up being pushed to the back of the bus by all the kids up front fooling around wink

I can understand Reep's pov here and I appreciate his concerns for the board. I think he's just raising an issue he has with the forum and asking people to take it into consideration when posting -- that certain forums are meant for certain things and for each person to use their own judgement about it.

There are different forums for a reason after all, and Reep's putting in his two cents for how he sees them as different so that it would better his enjoyment of the boards (and maybe others). I'd hate to see him or others like him go away because he can't find the kind of topics he'd like to disucss.

If you want to be silly and post non-sequitor threads that aren't really Legion related or if you want to enter a thoughtful discussion on a character, there's a place to express each side of yourself. And yes, sometimes it can be in the same thread -- Reep's not advocating hard and fast rules, just asking for a quiet corner as well.

#368101 07/18/03 04:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well said, Drake. I agree wholeheartedly.

Touch the magic...
#368102 07/18/03 04:31 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Torquemada: Let's face it, you can't talk him outta anything.

You know what this place needs right now?

A good food fight, or a really loud fart.

We had a guy in our fraternity, that whenever meetings got like this, you know all serious and stuff, he would lean back in his chair and just fall over backwards. Tension gone, everyone smiling.

As long as Scott and Gary allow me to post on their boards, and I thank them kindly for all their efforts at creating this place, I won't change my style of posting because somebody thinks that a topic should be serious. And I don't expect them to change their posting style to accomodate my strivings for humor. And I'm not going to run around afraid of this board becoming like Rob's boards.

I don't see a problem here. And I don't see a need to create another board either. If you want to make a serious forum, I'll check it out, but I can't make any guarantees that I won't be funny there.

Something Filthy!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,900
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
avengers, wonderpoop
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ger
Ger
Dallas, TX
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star