Roll Call
1 members (Lard Lad), 9 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/24/24 09:11 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/24/24 06:38 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/24/24 12:59 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: DISCUSSION: Should this forum be used primarily for “serious” topics?
#368103 07/18/03 04:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't think that anyone is asking you not to be funny in replies to threads.

If I am understanding this correctly, this is talk about threads with the original intent of being not so serious posted on the Mission MOnitor Board thread, rather than here.

I'm sure any of us, if we have a funny comment about even the most serious topic would reply to it in this forum.

Like I said, I don't know any of you that well at all. So I've said my piece on the matter and will now focus my attention on other things?

What's for dinner?

Touch the magic...
#368104 07/18/03 07:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
My understanding of what is being asked is that the "serious" forum would be the place to post topics such as "Decribe the Character: Cosmic Boy" and "How Do You Pronounce?", while the "not-so-serious" board would be the place for such things as "The Legion of Super-Cheese Villains" and "Insert-Ron Karr" smile

Ultimately I don't suppose it really matters to me one way or the other. I've been scrolling through threads looking for things that interest me for years, so I'm fairly well accustomed to it. However, it would be nice to be able to quickly access the type of posts I'm in the mood for, whether it be something light-hearted to lift my spirits, or something a little deeper to challenge my mind a little more.

Like I said, though, in the end it really isn't that important to me one way or the other, but since it is important to some of the posters, I think it merits discussion, both pro and con smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#368105 07/18/03 07:08 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Originally posted by Princess Crujectra:
"Insert-Ron Karr"
[raises eyebrows]

Now that is an entirely different topic.

#368106 07/18/03 07:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
[raises eyebrows]
Now that is an entirely different topic.
Oops! Where WAS my mind when I made that post? wink

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#368107 07/18/03 07:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm disappointed that this has come up at all.

When one of the forums here becomes "the All-SERIOUS Legion Forum"-- be it this forum or the Mission Monitor Board or even Science Police Headquarters-- I'll be leaving said forum permanently in favor of the less-restrictive forums.

I don't think that's gonna happen. I'll certainly do anything I can to prevent it from happening.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#368108 07/18/03 07:34 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
I'm starting to get pissed off here at the misrepresentation of my position.

I'm not going to restate it for the umpteenth time and especially not since Princess and Drake have also had to restate it because others are assuming stuff I never said.

I'm glad you posted, TD. What's your opinion on this matter? I think you should offer your opinion.

Do you have any problem if we all do what you do and start flood posting any and every forum we want without respect to the intent of the forum or the wishes of those most frequently posting there?

Is that cool with you and everybody?

Why not? If it's cool for TD, it cool for everybody.

Please respond, TD.

#368109 07/18/03 07:49 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
bbz--

Considering your history with TD, I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't respond to you.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#368110 07/18/03 08:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by MLLASH:
When one of the forums here becomes "the All-SERIOUS Legion Forum"-- be it this forum or the Mission Monitor Board or even Science Police Headquarters-- I'll be leaving said forum permanently in favor of the less-restrictive forums.
You're not serious are you? Badda Boom!

So what are all those little icon thingies for? Can they be used to identify serious v. funny threads and used in the search function? Or does identifying a thread as funny remove the joke?

Way over thinking this. It's simple, like the college dorm roommate. If somebodys' stuff starts to impede on the other, you work it out....or shoot the roommate, hide the body, and have a room all to yourself for a semester...not that I've ever done anything like that.

#368111 07/18/03 08:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Okay.

I've read through this thread and heard what everybody who posted had to say.

As the guy who created all but two of the forums and all of the catagories here, here's my take on this issue.

I like the open and informal set up as it is right now. I like to read and post on serious issues as well as whimsical and even stupid ones. Although I missed the more LMBP type situation of the Legionnaires forum at the old DCMB, I did like the unification of the fanbase that the (just) Legion forum provided. Even with the 'floods' that I have stated aren't 'spam' to me, I don't feel that we need to clarify or catagorize the board any more than we already have. I believe bumping up your topics is a viable option. Hell, I've made bumping the "Support" threads at the DCMB my life's work.

However, I do appreciate EVERYONE's concerns and I will discuss this issue with Scott as soon as both of us have the time. I will state that this will not go to a vote. It will be a decision between the two founders. I hope you understand.

Spelling edit! I'm going to add a spelling-check mod soon, I promise!

#368112 07/18/03 08:23 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Why shouldn't there be a forum that's for a little more straightforward Legion talk?

There's little harn in it, and there's nothing or nobody saying that posts there couldn't be light-hearted.

It seems to me that it's something that the LMB did before...kept the majority of silly threads in one forum while keeping another one for more straightforward Legion talk. The Legionnaires board vs. the LSH board.

There's a forum here for polls...one for mmerchandise, and one for fan fic and art...why not have one for LSH talk and one for usual LMB stuff?

MAybe the review forum could be rolled back up here as well with the review of that months issue being stickied to the top to encourage posting.

Just suggestions...

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#368113 07/18/03 08:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Dev,

I think that this forum is about the Legion. I don't see any threads about individual posters here. They all seem about the comic book series and characters.

The MMB is about those of us posting here.

#368114 07/18/03 08:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Dev,

I think that this forum is about the Legion. I don't see any threads about individual posters here. They all seem about the comic book series and characters.

The MMB is about those of us posting here.
My thoughts exactly! I was thinking about this at work this evening... every forum here has a different emphasis... this one is about the Legion, there's one for merchandise, one for fan art and fic, one for those of us posting here (MMB,) one for other comic books, one for other topics, etc. Do we really need to change the Mission Monitor Board into a forum for funny-legion topics when it's already serving its purpose admirably as a forum for/about those of us posting here. Now, we could split this forum into two forums, one for silly Legion topics and one for serious topics, but is that really a good idea, or would it fracture the dialogue?

Seriously, I think the MMB is already doing an admirable job being what it was designed to be by the founders. Maybe those of us who have a tendency to post-flood zany topics could have a bit more consideration for the others. I totally see, understand, and support that point.

So... it's been a good debate so far. I'm interested in what EVERYONE has to say on this matter.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#368115 07/18/03 09:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Um...is that it?

Well, I've sent Scott a message and hope he responds. I'm considering expanding the Calling the Roll forum to be about more serious discussions.

Anyway, I'm extremely late for work. Gotta go!

#368116 07/18/03 09:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think that this has been a pretty respectful and interesting discussion so far and now that the founders are getting involved, I'd like to express a hope they don't feel too pressured to do something official.

I think ultimately this will work itself out on its own between us members. Everyone here seems to want to respect everyone else and anyone looking to cause trouble wouldn't be swayed by this dialogue anyway. If a new forum is added or a previous expanded, I hope nobody feels restrictions are being imposed -- like I said before, I think Reep just raised a point that he would like people to keep in mind while posting. Nobody is looking to impose regulations or dictate terms of posting.

Declaring that you'll avoid "serious" topics is an unfortunate reaction. There are threads I don't participate as much just because it doesn't suit me but I'm not put off by them. The tone of most threads are established in the title and initial posts and I post accordingly to add to the flow of the discussion, but I don't react negatively that a certain tone is being imposed on me or saying how I should post.

I just hope this doesn't blow up to be more than it is by overreactions.

#368117 07/18/03 09:25 PM
Active
Active
I must insist that we have an inebriated forum for use by drunk or chemically altered posters!
*hic*
While we're at it, you need to add a forum where we can talk about Legion space ships & other space vehicles without having to wade through a bunch of silly messages about Legion uniforms or Legion clubhouses or the plot to the latest Legion issue!
*hic*
I would also like to suggest that we have a Gender-Neutral forum so those offended by gender-specific pronouns won't be exposed to a spontaneous explosion of gender-specific topics!
*hic*
Finally, a section where we could ridicule & criticize our least favorite Legion writers & artists would come in handy as well, but the posts cannot be constructive, only mean-spirited and divisive topics will be tolerated!!
*hic*
You know, like this one!!
*hic*

#368118 07/18/03 09:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm all for good old fashioned serious topics MIXED with a hearty dose of fun stuff.

It would be dull otherwise to me.

#368119 07/18/03 09:57 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
Everyone here seems to want to respect everyone else...
Drake, based on the accusations flung my way simply for raising the issue, and the hyperbolic reactions, I am afraid I'm seriously doubting this now.

I'm afraid NC's comments don't sound encouraging to me, but I'll reserve judgment till both Founders have conferred.

I would request they consider that if flood posting's okay in this forum for TD, then newbies with even less self-control than TD will follow her example and this place will be one gigantic mess. They have to consider not just the current worst example, but what happens down the line, how it can get out of the hands quickly if there's mass flood posting.

No one thinks it can happen here?

There's another board I know. What's it's name?

Oh yeah. Rob's.

#368120 07/18/03 10:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So, if we distill everything else out, is that the main issue we're talking about here? Flood-posting? Or is it something else?

I don't think the logical leap from this board to Rob's board in one quick step is quite valid... the people using this board are not the same, and I don't think the founders are going to let that happen. I certainly see where you are coming from, though. No one wants to see a forum littered with inane topics. But let me ask this. In all this discussion, has anyone actually considered taking this up with the person responsible?

Could it be that a resolution could be as simple as saying "Hey, (insert name here)! I really think you could show some consideration for the other people using and enjoying this forum. While everyone likes some zaniness and lunacy, there are a lot of people using this board, and we think it would be productive if EVERYONE could enjoy it, not just a few."

Has anyone thought about just communicating with one another, rather than calling for new forums and intervention by the founders? Is it really that hard? Are we so isolated from everyone else in society that we can't just open up a simple dialogue one person to another?

It seems to me like we could avoid all this positioning and posturing if we just TALKED.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#368121 07/18/03 10:21 PM
Active
Active
Perhaps a lil'hootch to loosen the ole'tongue?
*hic*
Don't mind if I do!!
*hic*

#368122 07/18/03 10:40 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
I've never once felt that any of the topics posted in this subforum were inappropriate. I mean, yeesh, we ARE talking about a comic book here and one with a large element of fun and nostalgia for its fans. I think it's entirely appropriate to have a whimsical discussion about, say, Calamity King. It's just part of what makes the Legion what it is to its fans.

I mean, where would we draw the line? The Survivor threads are kinda whimsical: do those belong in a separate forum? What about the Question Game? We see a punchline, make up a set-up for it, then leave a punchline for the next poster. Should games be off-limits? Should silly, inconsequential characters like CK be left out because he was basically little more than a cameo character? Is the thread about the pronunciation of words in the Legion universe too frivolous to have a place here?

Personally, I think these lighten up the boards. And I've seen a pretty healthy balance between "serious" and "silly" topics here without "silly" overwhelming things.

Teeds's topics (since that seems to be what we're really talking about here, let's face it) really seem to capture the fun of Legion lore in a uniquely imaginative way. Some get tons of responses. Others die off quickly. But I don't thnk they overwhelm that forum at all...just add a little flavor.

So far, Legion World is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. I believe people are posting appropriate topics in the appropriate places. There really is no need to further segregate them, unless we get either the need or a spark of inspiration for another subforum. I don't think this situation merits it.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#368123 07/18/03 11:14 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I prefer this category as a general Legion forum, including both serious and silly topics.

Although there have been some very thoughtful discussions, I don't think there have been enough to carry the forum by themselves. Someone mentioned that when the next issue comes out, there will be lots of serious posting on it. But that's generally not been the case. Aside from Todd's "Calling the Roll" and my own "Off-the-Cuff" review, there hasn't been a lot of discussion about the last issue.

Creating separate boards for both serious and fun topics might be something for Gary and Scott to consider in the future. But with only 80 or so registered posters, I don't think it's currently warranted. People who want to post on serious topics will do so regardless of how many other threads are "in the way."

Creating separate forums will not, in my view, increase traffic on serious threads. Like it or not, our serious discussions diminish rather quickly (and maybe someone should start a separate topic to ask why), regardless of where they appear on the board.

Besides, good, old-fashioned bumping is an easier solution.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#368124 07/18/03 11:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
You know I think this thead holds the new record for most posts in a twelve hour period. cool

Like Kid Prime, I don't think the real topic here is serious threads vs. humour threads: it's thread floods.

And yeah, sometimes I find them annoying. Other times I think they're a blast. laugh Either way, they don't happen all the time and when they do they're easy enough to skip over.

And remember: On this board (unlike the new official one) it's easy to seperate the new posts from the old, even if you have to go back a page or two to find out where the new posts start if a flood has pushed them back.

So I really don't think there's a need for a seperate forum. But that's just my opinion, and I think it is a topic worth discussing.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#368125 07/18/03 11:21 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

#368126 07/18/03 11:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

#368127 07/18/03 11:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

shocked oooohhhh, this is embarassing shocked

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,924
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Invisible Brainiac
Invisible Brainiac
Wouldn't you like to know?
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star