Roll Call
1 members (thoth lad, thoth lad), 12 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/18/24 05:00 PM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/18/24 02:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/18/24 02:18 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Encyclopedia" standards
#371966 07/07/03 05:05 PM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
The "Encyclopedia Galactica" section is clearly closed off for normal posting -- which makes sense, for a reference area.

~ Who are "general posters," though? It's not really clear. All non-"founders"? It might be clearer to note instead that postings will be made only by moderators -- and to appoint some of them.

~ If we have something to suggest for inclusion, or to request to have posted, to whom do we submit it, and at what address?

~ Who's serving as editor of that section? Would you be able to make use of more than one such person?

~ Could this Website serve as a distributor of the Legion.hlp file? If it's Scott's ISP, he had said that it had unlimited bandwidth. The .hlp file's size, though, might be straining even that kind of an arrangement.

Thanks for any information.

Re: "Encyclopedia" standards
#371967 07/07/03 05:15 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I guess the logical step toward having a few moderators would be to have the inaugural Legion World Leader Elections!!!

And no, I'm not opening up a can of worms... ChameleonBoy

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#371968 07/07/03 05:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The "Encyclopedia Galactica" section is clearly closed off for normal posting -- which makes sense, for a reference area.
Yup. See below.

~ Who are "general posters," though? It's not really clear. All non-"founders"? It might be clearer to note instead that postings will be made only by moderators -- and to appoint some of them.
Right now it's non-founders. But Scott or I can appoint an advisor (read moderator) to add stuff too. We're making this up as we go along, so I'll change the wording if it's too confusing.

~ If we have something to suggest for inclusion, or to request to have posted, to whom do we submit it, and at what address?
You can post here or PM me and Scott. I'm still trying to figure out the e-mail functions or I'd send you there. I'll come back with a more concrete answer later.

~ Who's serving as editor of that section? Would you be able to make use of more than one such person?
Right now Scott and I are the only editors anywhere except for Todd in the Calling the Roll section. We're still deciding how to proceed in this area. I've tried to give all of you (general posters) as much control as possible though.

~ Could this Website serve as a distributor of the Legion.hlp file? If it's Scott's ISP, he had said that it had unlimited bandwidth. The .hlp file's size, though, might be straining even that kind of an arrangement.
We're using Scott's server but not his webspace. So yes we have unlimited bandwidth (hopefully laugh ). I'm not sure if we want to host the file though. Maybe a link at least. I'll talk to Scott about it and get back with you.

Thanks for any information.
No, problem. Ask away.

#371969 07/07/03 06:54 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just to touch on a couple of points here Gary made in his reply to Grey.

We do have unlimited bandwidth here, same as with my site. I was able to get a deal with my host for a discounted second site because of my Lightning Lad site.

As for the Legion Help File, a link to it is located in the Encyclopedia section right now as suggested by EDE earlier today. For now, I think just providing a link to Chaim's site should suffice. Should, in the future, his site disappear then I think we can host the actual file either here or at my site.

#371970 07/07/03 07:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
LightningLad Rules!

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#371971 07/08/03 06:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Dave:
LightningLad Rules!
Thanks Dev!

#371972 07/10/03 08:38 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Hi guys, Scott and Gary have kindly given me permission to start compiling a FAQ post in the Encyclopedia Galactica so if you would, check it out and let me know any suggestions to what you want to see there - remember though, this is sticking to straight facts such as explanation of abbreviations and terms like "Pre/Postboot." It's a work in progress though, so if you don't see it on there yet, it may be on there soon. PM's are preferred.

Matt

#371973 07/10/03 10:18 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Is this an accumulated FAQ that you'll be editing repeatedly, in place, to add discussions of new topics as they come along?

You might want to use the material in the FAQ created and revised by a committee of users of the rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh Usenet newsgroup. It was last revised in September 2000, through "Legion Lost" 4, but it could be a good starting point.

Although it's aimed first at users of the newsgroup, it has a fairly complete list of Legion abbreviations and acronyms, and a then-current description of each Legion member.

#371974 07/10/03 10:47 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by Greybird:
Is this an accumulated FAQ that you'll be editing repeatedly, in place, to add discussions of new topics as they come along?

You might want to use the material in the FAQ created and revised by a committee of users of the rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh Usenet newsgroup. It was last revised in September 2000, through "Legion Lost" 4, but it could be a good starting point.
The function that I'm shooting for right now is to serve as a basic glossary for all the terms that we toss around here on the board. I'm planning to add more to it via edits to the original post on as frequent a basis as I can manage. I don't forsee adding much by way of story recaps, membership rosters and the like unless there's a specific desire from everyone, and even at that I think those types of things ought to go on a seperate post (if Gary and Scott wanted them on there, I don't want to exceed my mandate.)

I am not going to use anyone else's FAQ's for guidance for the simple reason that I just don't want to bother trying to get permission to use anyone else's work (and wouldn't dream of doing so without permission,) and also for purely egotistical reasons in that I'd rather stand or fall on my own. You all will catch me, right? Plus I think it's nice to have our own content to offer here at Legion World, and I'm not much of an artist or fic'er so this is my offering, as thanks to our hosts and as a meager gift to all my online Legion buddies, especially the newcomers I hope we get.

Matt

#371975 07/10/03 10:53 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
I can understand your pride-of-authorship reasons, but I do have to ask, especially in grinding out lists of acronyms and the like: Why wholly reinvent the FAQ wheel?

We would certainly support you in making corrections, but it seems worthwhile to me to avoid a few such cycles if some of this has already been assembled in another form.

And the references in the FAQ that I linked above to "Violators will be eaten by the Interplanetary Bank Beast-Guards" and the like were intended to be taken facetiously. Trust me. I have this from Sidne Ward.

#371976 07/10/03 10:57 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by Greybird:
I can understand your pride-of-authorship reasons, but I do have to ask, especially in grinding out lists of acronyms and the like: Why wholly reinvent the FAQ wheel?

We would certainly support you in making corrections, but it seems worthwhile to me to avoid a few such cycles if some of this has already been assembled in another form.

And the references in the FAQ that I linked above to "Violators will be eaten by the Interplanetary Bank Beast-Guards" and the like were intended to be taken facetiously. Trust me. I have this from Sidne Ward.
One person's grinding out of acronyms is another person's happy excuse to spend more time pondering the Legion, simple as that. I like this kind of stuff!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,841
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Wayne3003
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
rtvu2
rtvu2
Texas
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star