Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 14 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/18/24 05:00 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/18/24 02:18 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Another Fine Mess...
#371980 04/06/04 06:51 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Hi!

Let me tell you about the latest downtime. Last Saturday, the power supply on my personal computer burned out before I went to work. On Sunday, I had plans and wasn't able to get to a computer store (while they were open) to get a new power supply. Monday, I was able to get one, but when I replaced the bad with the new, I realized that the mother board had died as well. So I rushed to a nearby Office Depot and bought a new PC, 5 minutes before they closed, only to then log into the net to discover that LW was down (or more specifically the MB part).

It seems that PowWeb felt that the ultimatebb.cgi file was exceeding our resource allotment by PowWeb and they turned it off. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to my back ups, FTP, etc. So, Scott was kind enough to take the time to try and fix things. But anything he did, didn't matter, until PowWeb restored our ability to delete/replace/alter/etc. the ultimatebb.cgi file.

Today, I finally got a representative at PowWeb to let us regain access to the file. After I set up my old hard drive, I deleted the old ultimatebb and replaced it. That's why we're here again. Sorry! The delays are also due to the fact that today is my roommate's birthday and my BF is in town from NY. I kinda had other plans for today. But, I was able to find the time though to get this mess straigtened up.

Again sorry. I promise when I have the time and money, we'll be rid of our current server and their quirky ways.

Re: Another Fine Mess...
#371981 04/06/04 07:06 PM
Leader
Leader
I'm just glad we've got someone as conscientious as you watching our backs (just don't lower those eyes too much if the BF is around wink ). Thanks for all your hard work, and get back to your BF and roomie!!

#371982 04/06/04 07:09 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Thanks Seymour!

#371983 04/06/04 07:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Go out and have fun Gary. You deserve a good night out on the town.

And I'll be making another back up of the site for home tonight. Got one at work today so I have one at both places I have access. But, like you said, nothing would have worked until they restored access to the cgi file.

Thanks for all you do and for being you!

#371984 04/06/04 07:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thanks for all your efforts, guys! And keep in mind that even though PowWeb has been a little quirky, and we have suffered sporadic downtime, the vast majority of the time the boards have been up, so don't feel too bad if we have little outages every now and then.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#371985 04/06/04 08:01 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
*Whew*! At least no one realizes that I was in the midst of posting when the boards went down...

CalamityKing

#371986 04/06/04 08:02 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Good Work all... It sends a chill up my spine everytime Legion World is down... like I'm just about to start seeing red skies or fade out of existance or something... wink

Thanks!!!

Wayne@OZ
#371987 04/06/04 08:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Star Boy:
Good Work all... It sends a chill up my spine everytime Legion World is down... like I'm just about to start seeing red skies or fade out of existance or something... wink

Thanks!!!
We wouldn't do that to you Wayne. Not until you at least get to see Hellboy. laugh

#371988 04/06/04 11:42 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Thank you again for jumping through those hoops, these days more of 'em than ever, to keep this circus going.

What amount of bandwidth or system demand is contractually "excessive"? Did they give you a figure, so you could deal with it, or just arbitrarily cut LW.net off?

If you have only a handful of months left, it'd be worth the $25 cancellation fee to get your remaining money back from PowWeb and go to a new Web host immediately. I'll put up $5 of it right now if you'll do so ... who's with me?

They've screwed you over twice in three weeks, Gary, and you (and we) shouldn't have to put up with it. We have no shortage of inexpensive hosting providers. Their presence has ballooned in the marketplace even since last Summer.

#371989 04/07/04 02:01 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Even if I had the money to move, I'm not sure I have the time open to make the move. Maybe in a few weeks. I'll see what I can do.

Anyway, even though by my reckoning we've got about 14 days left on our Google voodoo ward, I think it may have been a spider that spiked us. Cause our problem isn't bandwidth, it's "resource abuse" which means to me that we're overworking our server and causing problems with our cyber-neighbors.

I went again to this site (and even though it appears we're current), I added us again to be excluded by their spiders. I hope that it'll give us more time before this happens all over again.

And another "request" made by PowWeb support was that I restrict our permissions on our CGI files to 755 (read only from the web) instead of 777 (read and write). Unfortunately, there's a problem in that mindset, as to do that would make this site unusable. This entire message board is made up of CGI files. This very thread is one. If I made these read only, then we couldn't post messages. Just read the ones that are already here. Even if I wanted to stay with them, I couldn't. They're getting pretty adamant about me changing "our" permissions on our files.

#371990 04/07/04 07:44 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Even if I had the money to move, I'm not sure I have the time open to make the move. Maybe in a few weeks. I'll see what I can do.

Anyway, even though by my reckoning we've got about 14 days left on our Google voodoo ward, I think it may have been a spider that spiked us. Cause our problem isn't bandwidth, it's "resource abuse" which means to me that we're overworking our server and causing problems with our cyber-neighbors.

I went again to this site (and even though it appears we're current), I added us again to be excluded by their spiders. I hope that it'll give us more time before this happens all over again.

And another "request" made by PowWeb support was that I restrict our permissions on our CGI files to 755 (read only from the web) instead of 777 (read and write). Unfortunately, there's a problem in that mindset, as to do that would make this site unusable. This entire message board is made up of CGI files. This very thread is one. If I made these read only, then we couldn't post messages. Just read the ones that are already here. Even if I wanted to stay with them, I couldn't. They're getting pretty adamant about me changing "our" permissions on our files.
You can't turn on/use the ultimatebb.php file, to maybe get round that?

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#371991 04/07/04 09:08 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
You can't turn on/use the ultimatebb.php file, to maybe get round that?
I've tried using PHP here. I only get error messages when I do. I believe that Rob K. had similar problems while at PowWeb.

#371992 04/07/04 09:31 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Nighty, if and when you ever come over to the sunny UK Sonnie and I will take you out for a mad weekend as thanks for all the love and dedication you put into this site.

hug

Bx

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#371993 04/07/04 09:38 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Thanks! I try. I REALLY, REALLY hate it when we aren't up and working and it's not my fault. wink

#371994 04/07/04 09:48 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Thanks! I try. I REALLY, REALLY hate it when we aren't up and working and it's not my fault. wink
So you love it when we're down and broken and it IS your fault? wink

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#371995 04/07/04 10:29 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
Thanks for all your efforts, guys! And keep in mind that even though PowWeb has been a little quirky, and we have suffered sporadic downtime, the vast majority of the time the boards have been up, so don't feel too bad if we have little outages every now and then.
Agreed! Everything can't be right all the time, we'd get too spoiled!

You guys are the best, so try not to stress out over it TOO much Gary smile !

hug

#371996 04/07/04 01:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Wow, all this agravation, just for us? This mangy bunch? I'm with Grey, you say where and when, and my five bucks are there. And that is no where near the amount of enjoyment you folk have provided. Thanks for the work you do.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#371997 04/07/04 04:05 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the sentiments! You guys have made this place, a place worth aggravating over!

#371998 04/09/04 03:28 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hmmm, I didn't realize I'd be able to blame Gary if it ever turns out I'm not "up and working"

Really, it's not MY fault! It's Gary's fault that I'm not up and working! See he admitted it right there!

Then again, I might have to explain WHO Gary is and HOW he could be responsible.....

Never mind! wink

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,844
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
M'onel
M'onel
Alberta, Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star