Roll Call
1 members (idle, idle, idle), 14 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
Legionnaire Mastermind
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:21 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by razsolo - 03/28/24 06:18 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: X-Statix
#477868 11/07/03 10:19 AM
Reservist
Reservist
I just picked up the last three issues of X-Static...I get to read a three parts at once! Yay me!

#477869 11/07/03 09:11 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Definately a strange read. But then X-Static is a strange comic...

#477870 11/08/03 10:36 AM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
I'm not sure what the point of having Spider-Man there was. He didn't do anything other than exchange a few (and I mean "a few") lines with the X-Statix members, and then disappear abruptly. Most meaningless "guest appearance" ever -- it wasn't even ironic or funny!

And I'm finding it disturbing that some of the images of "pop star Henrietta" (i.e., Princess Diana with black hair) bear an uncanny resemblance to Monica Lewinsky... eek

#477871 11/08/03 03:39 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I dunno, seems reasonable to me that if one is in the Marvel Universe and go into NY that there's a fair likelyhood of crossing paths with a superhero based there. It kind of made sense to me, Spidey is swinging around, sees some supertypes up to something, tries to stop them, then a whole team of people come in who obviously don't want him there, so he shrugs and leaves since the situation was in control.

Or something...

#477872 11/08/03 04:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So his guest-appearance WAS funny & ironic after all! ;-D

I don't have part 3 yet... maybe I'll go to the CBS this week if SUPREME POWER 4 comes out....

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#477873 11/30/03 10:24 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Read ish 16 last night, WOW!!!

What happened with Spike Freeman shocked & surprised me! But because of this, I am a little worried about how X-Statix will be able to continue! And what will happen to The Orphan now?

As for Lacuna-- I think (and certainly do HOPE) she's gonna be okay. The *real* cliffhanger was what happed to Spike Freeman.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#477874 11/30/03 06:52 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
I thought the first half of the issue was kind of rambling. I'd thought they were going to get rid of Henrietta by now -- I think her appearance would have worked much better as a three-issue thing, rather than a more long-term storyline.

But those last couple of pages -- SHOCKING. SHOCKING. SHOCKING. eek

It just goes to show how you can never assume anything where this book is concerned! (Which is one reason I like it so much. laugh )

#477875 12/01/03 09:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Stuey, I'm almost wondering if they aren't gonna just KEEP Henrietta on the team! Now that she's not "Diana" and all...

What did you think about the fate of El Guapo? And is he still officially on the team or not...?

#477876 12/02/03 07:24 AM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
Y'know, I'm starting to think the same thing about Henrietta. But every time I start thinking something about a character on X-STATIX, they go and pull the rug out from under me! So I'm really not sure where they're gonna go with this...

After last issue, I had thought that they were just going to write El Guapo out altogether, but he did show up briefly in this issue -- although it sounded like he was no longer part of the team. He didn't participate in any of their discussions -- but I guess he DID show up in the roll call on the first page.

I was frankly a little disappointed that they started to create some interesting story lines with El Guapo and his sentient skateboard, and now this happens... I would still like to see those followed up on, even if only in the background.

#477877 12/02/03 09:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Well, yank down my drawers and paddle my rosy patoot!

After bitching about the recent lack of X-STATIX, I went to the CBS tonight and there were TWO issues in my pull... 13 & 14!

WOO HOOOOOO!!!!
HMMMMMMM

Touch the magic...
#477878 12/09/03 08:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Over the past few nights, I reread my entire Milligan/Allred collection-- X-FORCE 116-129 and X-STATIX 1-16.

What a rollercoaster ride!

I'd easily rank the "Bush-Rangers" story (X-FORCE 125-128) up there with the finest, most suspenseful stories in comics.

And Doop.

What IS it with Doop?

It was hinted at early on that he might have his OWN agenda... and recently Myles speculated that Doop was controlling them all. Was he right or just trying to justify the wretched behaviour of the X-Statix?

Certainly, the horrific backup CODE X in X-STATIX # 1 reveals that Doop is FAR more-- and far more SINISTER-- than he seems!

#477879 12/26/03 08:19 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
Has anyone else read #17 yet? What did ya think?

(I'm not posting any spoilers just yet...)

#477880 12/27/03 12:23 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I've got it, Stuey... I'll read it today!

#477881 12/27/03 01:41 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
Me too -- let's check in with our thoughts later!

#477882 12/27/03 11:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, I guess we know now if Henrietta's gonna stay on the team. How... anticlimatic. How.... X-Statix (and I don't mean that negatively).

Sometimes life is VERY anticlimactic.

Spike Freeman's fate seems rather fitting.

Hope Lacuna gets out of that hospital soon. I found myself rather irritated with her last issue, falling all over The Orphan. I thought she might hook up with The Anarchist.

And I wish they'd stop having El Guapo on the covers and roll call if he isn't gonna be in the issue.

Stuey, I'm not sure how to put this in words... It feels like I'm enjoying reading the individual issues of X-Statix less. Yet when I go back and read 'em all back-to-back I love 'em large. Weird, huh?

X-STATIX is currently the only comic I go back and reread the full run of every few months. Despite what I said above, I'd daresay it's my favorite comic.

#477883 12/28/03 10:55 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
Yeah, I understand what you're saying about enjoying the individual issues less. I've been becoming less excited about reading the new issues of X-Statix as they come out.

However, when I go back and read a story arc all at once, I'm still glued to my seat. Not sure why that is.

I heartily concur with you about El Guapo. What's the point? And I wouldn't mind the anticlimactic resolution of the whole Henrietta thing, except that it feels to me like they might have changed it at the last minute because they swapped out Princess Diana. I wonder if they'd had some other resolution written for that character before? (Maybe the book should be called ANTICLIMACTIX... laugh )

#477884 12/28/03 11:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think the book took a slight hit with the death of U-Go Girl.

I like Venus and Dead Girl just fine, but they simply don't compare to Edie, visually OR personality-wise.

#477885 01/31/04 04:55 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
Wow -- I just finished X-STATIX #18...

*MINOR SPOILERS*

Dayum, they're dropping like flies...! eek At this rate, we're going to need a serious membership drive, and SOON.

Though there were plenty of shocks in this issue, and I liked the whole urban legend twist to the story, I thought that the story arc kind of ended with a whimper. It felt pulled together at the last minute, and didn't really hang together very well. A bit of a disappointment, really -- but I'm still looking forward to the next issue, to see how the group is going to move ahead from here...

#477886 02/02/04 03:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I DEFINITELY felt like this issue was glued together at the last minute (probably due to the changes that had to be made to the original Princess Di storyline Henrietta's tale replaced).

But unlike you, I quite enjoyed it. That last page was pretty chilling!

I kind-of think there was more that could have been done with Phat, but I felt no remorse at his passing. I think El Guapo would have been interesting to keep around as a handicapped-sex-symbol but I guess Milligan & Allred figured this was a good time to clean house.

When did Guy take back the moniker "Mr. Sensitive"?

So we're down to Guy, Anarchist, Venus, Dead Girl and Myles. Looks like we're due for TWO new members....

#477887 02/02/04 06:23 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
My question is: who was Mr. Code? confused

And are we going to find out soon? I sure hope so...

#477888 09/14/11 07:33 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:

Planned stop at the CBS, unplanned purchase. I didn't follow X-Force, but how could I resist Darwyn Cooke's cover with Edie and the oranges? I went home on that surprisingly temperate early spring (?) day with a copy on top of the comic book stack in my bike's basket.

PS: I followed X-Force following that.

click to enlarge
I never followed X-Force / X-Statix either; yet interesting enough, after Teed's post a few weeks ago, that very same morning, I went to a local comic convention and among the various items I picked up was the above! It was for $0.50 and since it was by Darwyn Cooke, probably my single favorite comic book creator alive today, I thought I must have it!

All in all, a pretty fantastic issue! I could read page after page by Cooke about anything, really, and he did a great job here. The final page with U-Go Girl and the dude with the antennae embracing each other against a cosmic background is absolutely stunning!

In terms of the story, it was a good issue to get introduced to some of the characters. U-Go Girl became an instant favorite, and like so many others before me, the awesome visual of Doop makes it too hard not to accept him as one of your favorites. Milligan has always excelled at these very personal-type issues.

I probably won't be going back to hunt down the X-Statix run anytime soon, but this was a nice introduction. I love Mike Allred's work too, so I'm sure that wouldn't dissapoint.

#477889 09/14/11 10:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
GASP!!!!!

I strongly advise you TO hunt down the entire run of X-Force and X-Statix by Milligan/Allred!!

That you haven't already read this run makes me feel somewhat cooler for not having previously read Animal Man, Swamp Thing and (insert "snooty" comic book no longer being published, wether or not recently relaunched by DC or not)!

NOTE: It is fine you read the above issue out of order... BUT DO NOT DO THIS WITH THE REST OF THE SERIES!!!!

#477890 09/14/11 10:31 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I never 'got' some writers ideas regarding super-people, and this series was one of those.

'I have acid sweat!' turns into 'I shoot powerful explosive blasts, and can use my powers while hot-tubbing with super-models without melting them like Barbies on the barby...'

I felt like I was reading the Authority, or that silly X-Men run where some idiot had healing powers because of the *black hole in his head.*

Lard Lad's powers make more sense to me. smile

I sometimes felt like they were throwing darts to design these characters;

"I have the power to..."
<thunk>
"stop people's hearts with a touch, because..."
<thunk>
"my eyes are made of antimatter!"

Some of these too-clever-by-half ideas go right past 'creative' to 'wait, what?'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#477891 09/15/11 06:11 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I've read the two X-Force trades and liked them very much, but I haven't go to X-Statix yet. Is it even in trade form? I picked up a number of the individual issue but they remain unread as there are too many holes in the series still.

#477892 09/15/11 06:42 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I probably won't be going back to hunt down the X-Statix run anytime soon, but this was a nice introduction. I love Mike Allred's work too, so I'm sure that wouldn't dissapoint.
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
I've read the two X-Force trades and liked them very much, but I haven't go to X-Statix yet. Is it even in trade form? I picked up a number of the individual issue but they remain unread as there are too many holes in the series still.
http://www.amazon.com/X-Statix-Omnibus-Peter-Milligan/dp/0785158448/

Peter Milligan and Mike Allred's subversive, media-loving mutants - the world-famous X-Statix - star in a series of bizarre, hilarious and deadly adventures with the most shocking ending ever! See all your favorites - including the Orphan, the Anarchist, Dead Girl, Doop, Venus Dee Milo and U-Go Girl - in action against and alongside Wolverine, the Avengers, Dr. Strange and others! Plus: the awful threats of Bad Guy, Pink Mink, Surrender Monkey and more! Collecting X-FORCE (1991) #116-129; BROTHERHOOD #9; X-STATIX #1-26; WOLVERINE/DOOP #1-2; X-STATIX PRESENTS DEAD GIRL #1-5; and material from X-MEN UNLIMITED (1993) #41, I [HEART] MARVEL: MY MUTANT HEART and NATION X #4.
Hardcover: 1200 pages

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,277
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
snowsparkle
snowsparkle
the incandescent world of ice
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star