Roll Call
1 members (idle, idle, idle, idle), 21 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:30 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/24/24 09:11 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Re: Thor, the God of Thunder
#479983 07/28/07 02:13 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I'm holding judgment until I get #1 witn my DCBS shipment Monday or Tuesday. (!) laugh

And Jorge, I wasn't a big fan of Simonson's Thor; I liked it enough to check out the high spots-- "Frog of Thunder", Beta Ray Bill, Thor grows a beard...

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#479984 07/28/07 03:41 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
HWW, I've never met a person who didn't like the Simonson run.
Well, now you have. smile

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#479985 08/02/07 02:04 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Blah, you Donald Blake fans can bite me! wink

Anyways, issue #2 is pretty good. Not much happens. I mean Asgard returns. That is about it. But I can't wait for the next issue.

#479986 08/02/07 02:11 PM
Blah, you Donald Blake fans can bite me! wink
We don't bite. We hit you with a big stick. laugh

I haven't bought # 2, though I'll look through it to see if it's worth pursuing next time I'm in the LCS.

#479987 08/06/07 09:57 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Finally read #1, and I have to say I'm impressed and excited. It was a very good issue and the reasoning behind Thor’s return was sound and powerful. Glad JMS addressed the reason Blake left the series in the first place, and then dismissed it.

A very powerful first issue, but lets hope the pacing gets faster as the series moves along.

#479988 08/11/07 03:45 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I really enjoyed the first 2 issues, and I say that as someone who has of late soured on JMS's comics. I HAVEN'T read Thor since Simonson, but JMS seems to have done a great job of explaining the last significant events in a very economical, uncomplicated way. I like that approach. Thor's love for Sif, and there star-crossed history, gets powerfully portrayed with virtually no exposition. The Oklahomans are treated respectfully and appropriately amusingly. I really delighted in seeing the farmer bottom out his pickup with Asgard gelt.

It's clear he's stealing liberally from Gaiman's Sandman and American Gods with the idea of "Man decides when Gods live and die" thing. Not that I object. Steal from the best. I just wonder if he talked to Gaiman about it first?

This is the first time in a long time that I've liked the Donald Blake character. The Thor/Blake relationship has always been one of the most...confusing in comics, right up there with Captain Marvel/Billy Batson. Are they the same person? If not, is there arrangement not kinda creepy? JMS does a good job of portraying Blake as a distinct personality that is nevertheless a piece of Thor's soul.

Olivier's art is a thing to behold. I cannot believe how much he has grown since his Legion days. Thor has rarely looked more compelling. I especially like his huge nose and how it basically fuses into his forehead, Mr. Incredible-style.

I have 2 quibbles that I will revise and amend as the story goes on, if warranted. First, Asgard looks too Harry Potter/Mad King Ludwig and not enough Viking/Kirby weird shit. Second, the thing I remember from the classic Kirby Thor stories I have read was that Thor was, well, jolly. He smiled ALOT. He loved his life and his adventures. I realize the story so far doesn't warrant jocularity, but if JMS doesn't take the first opportunity to give Thor a belly-laugh, I will conclude this is another post-modern mopefest.

Overall, though, it's a delight to read this character again. The Kirby/Lee Thor was the most way-out, way-cool stuff I had ever seen when I was a kid. I devoured the "real" Norse myths almost as soon as I was capable of reading them. I really want this character back and in good form.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#479989 08/11/07 01:52 PM
Originally posted by doublechinner:
It's clear he's stealing liberally from Gaiman's Sandman and American Gods with the idea of "Man decides when Gods live and die" thing. Not that I object. Steal from the best. I just wonder if he talked to Gaiman about it first?
Gaiman hardly invented the concept. It's a very old idea that was explored in Star Trek's "Who Mourns for Adonais?" for one example.

#479990 08/13/07 11:29 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well it happened in the Thor title already...well Journey Into Mystery.

The gods stuck in human form with amnesia. I am really suprised JMS is doing that again. But the writing is good and the art is amazing so I don't mind much. Plus it's always a fun way to reintroduce characters I love.

#479991 08/16/07 09:20 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I picked up the first two issues and was pleasantly surprised.

I'm a big Thor fan. He has the potential to be a VERY impresive and powerful character - if done well - and that seems to be the problem right there. He isn't always "done well".

When I first read the interview wlth JMS (The link was posted here) stating that he is planning to make it a comedy of manners I was horrified. Having read the issue: whilst the scene he described (The farmer driving up and complaining) was in the story, it came across as, quite, wry and unforced - as opposed to a total farce (as I was dreading).

JMS does get across Thors sense of granduer and nobility without making him seem pompous or ridiculous. I like his new speech pattern as well. His old "Thee" and "Thou" style was one of the easiest targets for lampooning and when done badly made the character seem foolish.

I agree with double chinner about Thors sense of humour but, as he pointed out, now is hardly the time for wild parties. When the Gods DO return though, there better be one hell of a banquet.

Donald Blake comes across as extremely interesting and I want to see his relationship with Thor explored further. Like Doublchinner said, their relationship was never really clarified. Was Donald Blake real? Did Odin just make him up? Was he a distinct personality or just a "suit of clothes" Thor donned when in his cicvilian guise? It looks like that is being set up as a MAJOR plot line for the future and I'm all for it.

The art was excellent. I REALLY like Thors new look, the squarer, flatter face makes him look much more like a viking warrior than the golden haired pretty boy he has, sometimes been portayed as, in the past.

Asgard DOES look kind of bare and medieval just now. I do prefer the Kirby dreamscape style. You could argue that the new style is more realistic but, we are talking about mythological beings here; a little grandeur and "Kirbyism" is fine with me.

So, basically, whilst the first few isues have been, kind of, slow it looks like it is only a slow boil and once things heat up we might see something really good.

It seems like Thor is in good hands. I'll be sticking around for a while yet.

Be lucky
#479992 08/16/07 01:41 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Not much happens. I mean Asgard returns. That is about it.
lol

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#479993 08/16/07 06:34 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I did mean it to be humorous. smile But besides THAT...not much happens.

Re: Asgard? I don't mind the medieval look. Sure I like it more cosmic as well but I don't think it would look very good in Montana. smile

#479994 08/25/07 04:46 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
OOOoooh, Thor's gonna %@&* some $#!+ UP...! : shudder

(Spoiler

-ish

for

#3)

click to enlarge

#479995 08/25/07 05:26 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Oh, that's only the best shot of the lettered preview . The best overall shot comes from the unlettered preview !:

click to enlarge

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#479996 08/27/07 10:42 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, I read #2. Basically all filler, no thriller. Kind of boring actually.

However, the art remains beautiful, and JMS does a pretty good job conveying Thor's mood and his love for Sif (who IMO is *the one* for Thor).

I'm into it still though, and ready for more. Especially looking forward to what's next, which hopefully will be the other Asgardians before too long. Like Doublechinner, I also want more of the Kirby influence.

Not too much originality so far, and pretty slow, but its still pretty well done despite all that. Also enjoying Don Blake.

#479997 08/27/07 10:56 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Well, I read #2. Basically all filler, no thriller. Kind of boring actually.
I toldja! I mean yeah Asgard is rebuilt. wink

#479998 09/02/07 12:34 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Has the third issue of this come out yet, or have I just missed it?
I am really looking forward to the meeting with Iron Man and seeing Thor kick his arse.
I don't have this on my pull list (I was going to give it a couple of issues yet) but this issue looks like the one to win me over.

Be lucky
#479999 09/02/07 04:08 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
#3's due out on September 12th, WWC. You didn't miss it. smile

#480000 09/03/07 07:46 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Yay!

Iron Man's gonna get a kicking!

Be lucky
#480001 09/07/07 05:19 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I breezed through a 'sneak peek' copy at my CBS-- the Thor/Iron Man confrontation takes up most of the book, but more important, to me at least, was the glimpse of how Asgard will apparently be repopulated.

The first 'new' resident is either a very appropriate one, or exactly the opposite, depending on how you look at things.

I'm amazed that ol' Goldilocks debuted at #1. I hope that portends good things ahead.

#480002 09/07/07 06:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Mystery Lad, if I remember correctly his previous series was ranked pretty high (Jurgens/JRJR) but kept dropping especially after JRJR (edited) left.

As for repopulating? Thialfi rocked! I would love to see him back.

#480003 09/14/07 11:06 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Regarding #3:

-- COOOOOOOL! JMS really has a handle on the language of Thor (and without the "thees" and "thous") - there's almost nothing more badass than Thor giving a speach about how he's going to rain godly vengeance upon you! Tony Stark certainly gets a taste of what's coming to him, with Thor drawing a line in the sand. His description of what would happen should the government act against him is downright biblical.

His smaller speach later when summoning his long lost asgardian brother is just as effective, though with a very different feel. (the aforementioned Asgardian also happens to be my favorite supporting Asgardian!)

And of course Coipel's art rocks the friggin' house!

#480004 09/17/07 04:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I enjoyed the latest issue! JMS does have Thor's dialogue down pat. Love it. Love the art! And love seeing Tony getting his helmet handed to him!!!

Thor is more powerful? No he just isn't holding back!

The intro of the other Asgardian? eh. One of my faves if not my fave but the whole gods as humans ignorant to the fact that they are gods...was old before JMS tried it and is only going to get older. Marvel already did that with the Asgardians not so long ago.

#480005 09/17/07 04:32 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Odin probably won't be a drunken down'n'out this time though.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#480006 09/18/07 01:40 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I bought this just to see Tony Von Doom get his butt kicked. Very gratifying.

And wow, that was the *perfect* Asgardian to appear at the end for the current situation. Entire governments may be mobilizing against you? Who better to have standing watch than a man who can hear every sound in the nine worlds without fail? Stark can't even mutter 'Thor sucks' under his breath, let alone something like 'let's nuke Asgard,' without it being known instantly...

Still, my absolute favorite Thor supporting character has yet to arrive. Bring on Loki!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#480007 09/18/07 06:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I thought it would've been cool to have Heimdall actually look right at the spy satellite at the end. (a bit of a cliche I know, but very appropriate)

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,928
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Luck Lad
Luck Lad
Vancouver, BC
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star