Roll Call
0 members (), 12 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/18/24 10:00 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:42 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/16/24 11:16 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Tell your story about ONE purchase of a comic book!
#480802 08/23/11 11:36 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
***This is the ANY COMIC BOOK version of a thread over yonder in the Long Live the Legion forum .***

First time you bought a comic book, most recent time, or somewhere in between....
An issue you loved, an issue you didn't, or one that was ho-hum....
A shopping trip that was unusual in some way or one that was routine....

The circumstances don't matter. So go on, tell your purchase story!

Other methods of acquisition OK too!

PLEASE NOTE: the story of you enjoying the comic book is welcome in addition to OR in place of the purchase details!

Re: Tell your story about ONE purchase of a comic book!
#480803 08/23/11 11:58 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Planned stop at the CBS, unplanned purchase. I didn't follow X-Force, but how could I resist Darwyn Cooke's cover with Edie and the oranges? I went home on that surprisingly temperate early spring (?) day with a copy on top of the comic book stack in my bike's basket.

PS: I followed X-Force following that.

click to enlarge

#480804 08/23/11 12:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
X-FORCE and X-STATIX were totally and completely awesome. Nice way to kick off the thread... BRB with my entry...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#480805 08/23/11 12:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The year: 1976-77-78mish.

I'd been an avid Defenders-O-phile for a li'l bit already, soaking up the completely weird and awesome superheroic tales presented in that book since the issues in the 30s, where wee me began reading.

Now, I don't know the story of the purchase of this book, but I *do* know ONE thing... I LOVED HELLCAT. I wanted to slap Moondragon for convincing her to turn down Avengers membership in AVENGERS 151.

And I also LOVED THIS ISSUE.

click to enlarge

It was Patsy's first full appearance after popping in at the tail-end of the previous issue. The boys had been brainwashed by the Red Rajah (spoiler: AKA a possessed Dr. Strange). The girls had to reign them in, as the cover depicts, while also dealing with the mystic might of the Rajah. (Clea was also a factor in the ladies' favor, though she isn't on the cover)

I loved this issue SO much, that I re-drew it page for page and panel for panel on notebook paper... the ONLY comic I can ever remember doing that with.

But when the art is done by Keith Giffen and Klaus Janson, can you blame me?

The story was a thrillride for wee-me.

And I loved seeing the girls kick some ass.

Cheese & crackers!!! smile

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#480806 08/23/11 12:39 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Additional info:

The issue would have come from a drug-store or 7-11 spinner rack, as was the norm in those much-missed days.

And while I *do* still have the original issue (practically read to pieces)... the re-drawn version on notebook paper is long-lost... frown

#480807 08/23/11 01:08 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
I LOVE this stuff.

Please feel free to tell more than one story...as long as the focus of each separate story is on ONE comic book.

#480808 08/23/11 01:23 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The year is 1978. Certainly this issue came from a spinner-rack. But back then, DC and Marvel were HARDLY the only comics to be found on those racks...

Gold Key, Charlton, Archie and Harvey comics were also usually healthily in-stock...

And this is one Harvey comic I never forgot:

click to enlarge

Strangely enough, the issue is NOT memorable to be because of the giant gorilla. In fact I don't even remember that story.

These oversized issues contained a small handful of tales, and in this particular issue, one I never have forgotten.

Richie, Cadbury (both in their non-super regular IDs) plus Gloria and a couple of pilots are testing a super-speed plane of some sort-- but they end up in a land that is inhabited by the old-school myths. If memory serves, They meet nice guys like Eros and Pan first before running afoul of Persephone and her nasty underworld cohorts.

Everything is resolved in the end with the arrival of Juno the queen, and Mercury gets them all back where they belong.

As I recall, it was actually a pretty SCARY tale for a little kid, with lots of fighting and destruction going on.

It was also a memorable tale for me, because I had an early interest in mythology.

It is, I believe, the only HARVEY comic I kept when I sold off my Harvey collection, but that will need to be verified.

The issue is so memorable to me, I remembered the exact issue number when I did a search for the cover.

#480809 08/23/11 02:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
A 4-issue miniseries, issues 1-3 of which were fan-freaking-tastic.

But... where was # 4?

It sure never hit the CBS I then-frequented... or if it did, I missed it. And I was space-inconsolable!

Now, back in those days, a time called "the mid-90s" by some... I was all up in a relationship with a lovely lad (may he rest in peace) who wasn't really into comics but put up with ME being into comics well, and even humored me often and read a few.

But he was definitely into road trips. So we would often go on them.

We went on one all the way to Johnson City, TN one time... now, Memphis and Johnson City are QUITE a distance apart, as can be seen here:

[Linked Image]

It was about a 10-hour drive, as I recall.

But it was in Johnson City that I finally found THIS elusive issue:

click to enlarge

And I finally got to read the cataclysmic finale to THE GOLDEN AGE, about 2 years after its publication!

#480810 08/23/11 03:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That cover is stellar/awesome/amazing. (I only have the TPB : ( )

#480811 08/23/11 08:57 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
My CBS then also missed the Golden Age #4! We found it a year or so later as well. I remember the thrill of finally reading the ending (and what and ending!!).

I have one in mind I'll do tomorrow...

#480812 08/23/11 09:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Now, back in those days, a time called "the mid-90s" by some...
We went on one all the way to Johnson City, TN one time... now, Memphis and Johnson City are QUITE a distance apart....
Why Lash, you were very near where I was born and raised. In fact, if you were traveling the interstate, you may have passed within half a mile of where I lived when I discovered the Legion. If I'd only known you were coming....

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#480813 08/23/11 09:53 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Not about one issue.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#480814 08/23/11 11:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Warlord Annual #1 - 1982

One of my dear friends in college was a beautiful Madonna wanna be, lipstick lesbian named Linda. She liked to sketch and she and I shared a love of Mike Grell. Linda was, unfortunately, also a hopeless alcoholic. She spent some time in the county jail after being arrested on DUI charges. The county jail was on the same street as my favorite local comic shop, which was called Rock Bottom Comics. On my way to visit Linda in jail, I stopped by Rock Bottom and bought two copies of Warlord Annual #1. I took one to her and she spent her time in jail making beautiful drawings of Travis Morgan and the rest of the Skataris cast.

click to enlarge

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#480815 08/24/11 03:35 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Came from the dentist one day, and had to wait for my dad at the mall. Was milling around window shopping when I found a nice new shop called Comic Odyssey. I went inside and browsed through their back issues...

And came away with Legion of Superheroes v4 Annual 6 , the very excellent issue with the origins of Kinetix, XS and Leviathan.

XS Leviathan

Thank you, dentist!

#480816 08/24/11 10:07 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally posted by Jerry:
Warlord Annual #1 - 1982

One of my dear friends in college was a beautiful Madonna wanna be, lipstick lesbian named Linda. She liked to sketch and she and I shared a love of Mike Grell. Linda was, unfortunately, also a hopeless alcoholic. She spent some time in the county jail after being arrested on DUI charges. The county jail was on the same street as my favorite local comic shop, which was called Rock Bottom Comics. On my way to visit Linda in jail, I stopped by Rock Bottom and bought two copies of Warlord Annual #1. I took one to her and she spent her time in jail making beautiful drawings of Travis Morgan and the rest of the Skataris cast.
Sweet story. I wonder what became of Linda.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#480817 08/24/11 06:38 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
When I was a little kid, I loved comic books more than any other kids I knew—because my Dad loved comic books. It was “our thing” and it remains that way to this day. My other siblings interest comes and goes over the years, but its really me and my father who consider it our hobby.

I was raised on Silver Age Marvel comics. For the first 11 years or so of my life, that is mainly what I read (or had read to me). There were some exceptions (Flash, Firestorm, etc.) but it was mainly Silver Age Marvel.

And so, one day on the way home from a family outing to the Beach, my Dad realized we were right near our then comic book store and told my Mom he was going to run in and get this week’s comics. Realizing I’d never been in it, I asked him if I could join him, and he said “of course!”. My brothers and sister decided to wait in the car.

Now, being only 11, I had no real money to my name. I could barely scrounge up $2.00. But I was determined to buy a comic book for myself.

[Linked Image]

It was “What If?” #41: “What if the Avengers had fought Galactus?”

Being a Silver Age Marvel fan (and knowing really nothing that happened between 1970 and now, which at that time was 1992), I felt it was a question I had to know the answer to!

I loved it. I loved it so much that I must have reread it a dozen times. I the early Marvel history so well at that point that each panel was like a light bulb going off for me: “No Fantastic Four means no Namor revived!” “Which means no Captain America revived!” “So Iron Man stays with the Avengers, not Cap!”

I couldn’t wait to show it to my Dad. I *knew* he would love it. I felt so proud.

And…he loved it. So much that we started to collect “What If?” Then I really felt proud—we were collecting a whole new series because of the comic I bought.

I went back the next week with him bought two more (with my own money). And then the next week. And soon even though it was on his way home from work, he’d come get me and bring me back so we could go together. And he stopped me from using my own money so I could add comics I thought were worth getting.

And I’ve never *not* gone since.

#480818 08/24/11 06:42 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
This is probably my favorite Cobie post ever.

#480819 08/24/11 08:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Not about one issue.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#480820 08/24/11 08:28 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
This is probably my favorite Cobie post ever.
smile

#480821 08/24/11 08:45 PM
Nice post, Cobie.

I'm jealous that you are able to share your love of comics with your dad.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#480822 08/25/11 08:49 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
[b]Now, back in those days, a time called "the mid-90s" by some...
We went on one all the way to Johnson City, TN one time... now, Memphis and Johnson City are QUITE a distance apart....
Why Lash, you were very near where I was born and raised. In fact, if you were traveling the interstate, you may have passed within half a mile of where I lived when I discovered the Legion. If I'd only known you were coming....[/b]
hmmm Apparently LT and I grew up very close to one another.

#480823 08/25/11 09:05 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
The summer after I finished first grade, we actually had somebody come to summer camp and give away comics. (Could it have been an actual DC directive to do this? I honestly don't remember why this happened, but I believe they were new comics.)

My comic was Wonder Woman, and somehow involved her running a gauntlet of giant exploding teeth to save the other Amazons, who were being held hostage by a (female) baddie.

That's all I remember.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#480824 08/25/11 09:32 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Cleome, was it this one? Detailed info here.

click to enlarge

#480825 08/25/11 09:38 AM
Yes! I think so. And 1973 would definitely place it in the proper time period, Teeds.

cool

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#480826 08/25/11 01:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
How did you know, Teeds?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,837
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Wayne3003
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
numberonelegionfan
numberonelegionfan
London, Ontario, Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star