Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 05:03 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 03/27/24 04:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/27/24 10:23 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:17 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Share more completely random things!
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 03/27/24 07:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Tell your story about ONE purchase of a comic book!
#480827 08/25/11 01:43 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Google, young Lash. Cleome gave a very good description, and she lists her birthdate in her profile, so I knew the timeframe checked out.

#480828 08/25/11 02:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
You're so Oracle!!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#480829 08/25/11 06:53 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by He Who LSHes:
Nice post, Cobie.

I'm jealous that you are able to share your love of comics with your dad.
I 100% agree!

#480830 08/25/11 06:54 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
Google, young Lash. Cleome gave a very good description, and she lists her birthdate in her profile, so I knew the timeframe checked out.
Now those are some mad research skills!

#480831 08/25/11 07:35 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Shouldn't a Brainiac have research standards more rigorous than "punch keywords into The Google"?

Shouldn't everyone be telling their stories? More, people, more!

#480832 08/26/11 02:04 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K
When I was seven years old, my parents let me stay up to watch the premiere of the black & white George Reeves Superman TV show on NBC. It featured state-of-the-art special effects, like a guy suspended by wires, break-away walls, and double-exposure x-ray vision. I loved it.

That weekend, I accompanied my mother on a shopping trip which included a visit to the pharmacy. There I found a comic book which I now realize was Superman #72: the first-ever team-up of Superman and Batman. I begged my mom to purchase it for me, at the exorbitant price of 10¢. (If I had bought 10¢ worth of gold in 1952, it would be worth $6.25 today.)

I hated it. I thought it was stupid. Basically, the story is that Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent fight over Lois Lane while on a cruise, and capture some pointless low-level crook along the way. I continued to watch the Superman TV show, and loved it. Superman even appeared on I Love Lucy, and got me watching that show as well. (and may I add, Lucille Ball was a true comic genius)

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
#480833 08/26/11 02:45 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Another story:

So after I started going weekly with my Dad, I got to experience my first “Comic Book Store Sale” where back issues were like 30% off or something (in the 90’s you didn’t get that many bargains like now where you can get stuff like 60% off). So my Dad, my uncle and I geared up, rechecked our lists, and got ready to go. I was super-pumped at age 12 or so.

BTW, my Dad stopped collecting comics around 1970. He started back up again in 1981 around when I was born. By the time I was reading them, he had filled in the vast majority of Marvel and DC comics during those missing years, as well as the big holes in his DC collection in the 60’s. Some runs were totally complete like Spider-Man (his favorite), Fantastic Four (my Uncle’s) and Thor. Most of them though had very big holes and my entire teens were spent hunting them down.

Also BTW, my Uncle also loved comic book like my Dad and I. Anyone who said they didn’t like Jack Kirby was dead to him. Unfortunately, my Uncle has been in a bad way for many years now and I’d rather not get into it (he became a full blown alcoholic and in fact, has never recovered from an abusive childhood like my father did).

Anyway, most of the Marvel titles had gaps that seemed like they could easily be completed. Two of them, however, did not: X-Men and Daredevil. And with good reason as Byrne & Cockrum X-Men comics as well as Miller Daredevil comics were super-hard to find. And they weren’t cheap either.

So we went to the CBS for that big sale, probably with my Dad and Uncle having $150 between them, with the intent of filling in the 1970’s Marvels (DC always came second in back issue collecting). We found dozens of Captain America’s, Iron Man’s, Avengers, etc. And I found something really awesome:

[Linked Image]

(Uncanny) X-Men #121, the first full appearance of Alpha Flight and their first cover appearance. Looking at it just now, I can see why I was mesmerized by it! I wanted it so bad. The problem? It was something like $55.00 since it was in mint condition! Say whaaa—aaat? In order to get that, my Dad reasoned, we’d have to skip out on tons of other series that we could fill in for like $4.00 and $5.00 a pop. So the decision ultimately was, let’s skip it and get one day down the road and instead get more quantity of comics at this sale.

I was heartbroken. I thought we’d never find it again…

And just like I thought for 10 whole years, we didn’t find it. Over the next ten years, throughout my teens, we filled in the entire Marvel collection for all the main titles. (The ones that started in the Silver Age). The last series to be completed was the X-Men, as we were missing a few key issues, like the Dark Phoenix finale, the first Kitty Pryde and of course, #121. And then one day, our new CBS (which we came to in 1994 and are still with today) had a sale, and called us ahead of time to tell us. They even let us have “first dibs”, going in on Thursday since we’re their best customers.

And among them were all the X-Men comics we needed. Including that holy grail for me, X-Men #121! And the kicker, it was only like $40 and still in mint condition, so less than it was 10 years earlier. *And* we got it at 50% off!

And so that day we completed our run of the X-Men at long last! The lesson, I guess, was patience. But more than that, it was to enjoy the thrill of the hunt, since that is what the collecting aspect is all about.

#480834 08/26/11 06:15 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
I agree, and I want to compliment Cobie for another excellent post.

I'd also like to thank Tom Tanner for posting a hated it story. They can't all be diamonds, right?

#480835 08/27/11 01:39 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Thank you, Teeds! This is turning into my favorite thread.

And Tom, I agree, love a good 'I hated it' story.

#480836 08/27/11 03:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
All of Teeds' compliments to Cobie are making me space-jealous.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#480837 08/27/11 03:48 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I feel the same way when TD derides other people!

#480838 08/27/11 03:52 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Less of the Lash/Ester Emotional Problems Hour and more of the comic book stories please!

#480839 08/27/11 09:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Jerry:
[b] Warlord Annual #1 - 1982

One of my dear friends in college was a beautiful Madonna wanna be, lipstick lesbian named Linda. She liked to sketch and she and I shared a love of Mike Grell. Linda was, unfortunately, also a hopeless alcoholic. She spent some time in the county jail after being arrested on DUI charges. The county jail was on the same street as my favorite local comic shop, which was called Rock Bottom Comics. On my way to visit Linda in jail, I stopped by Rock Bottom and bought two copies of Warlord Annual #1. I took one to her and she spent her time in jail making beautiful drawings of Travis Morgan and the rest of the Skataris cast.
Sweet story. I wonder what became of Linda. [/b]
Linda didn't graduate with us. Her parents eventually pulled her out of school and sent her to rehab. Last I heard she was in Oklahoma and still partying.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#480840 08/27/11 09:51 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
In the mid-80s I was filling in my New Mutants collection with the early issues. After one such purchase, I opened the comic to realize I already owned a copy. I took it right back to the CBS, but only got 1/2 the price I paid for it---like driving the car off the lot, it immediately lost half its value. I believe I immediately repaired to a soda machine with that fifty cents.

It was probably this one.
click to enlarge

I know it wasn't this one. You don't forget Axe.
click to enlarge

#480841 08/27/11 11:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
Less of the Lash/Ester Emotional Problems Hour and more of the comic book stories please!
I for one would certainly enjoy hearing a tale of EDE's purchase of a comic-book.

What was his motive? What was he thinking? Was he thinking of me? Was it raining? Was a Tanya Tucker song playing on the radio as he drove from the seedy establishment where the purchase went down?

#480842 08/28/11 06:49 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Were Funyuns involved?

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#480843 08/28/11 07:23 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Even as a kid I wasn’t stupid enough to feel the need to buy every tie-in comic to a major crossover. However, for I can recall clearly my first experience with a “mini-crossover”, where a storyline crosses between 2-3 titles, and when I was first faced with having to decide if I wanted to buy the issues in the series that I didn’t currently collect.

Once I began reading all of the then “off the rack” comics we were collecting, Spider-Man was immediately a top draw for me since he was my favorite hero. Web of Spider-Man was kicking off a mini-crossover with ‘Spirits of Vengeance’, a series that starred both Ghost Rider and Johnny Blaze, as they were two separate characters then. It was called Spirits of Venom.

The mini-crossover is actually a good reflection of comics in the early 90’s. It featured Venom, who was basically everywhere in comics at that time and dominated Spider-Man’s comics. At the time, I actually hated the Venom character because in my pre-teen mind, I thought Venom hogged all the limelight and ‘young fans’ like myself didn’t give the Silver Age Spider-Man villains enough credit. The crossover was an excuse to pit Venom against Ghost Rider, who was also all the rage in the early 90’s. His popularity reached its peak then, though I’ve never really figured out why he became so popular right then and why it didn’t last.

It also featured the Inferno-created Demogoblin (who split from Hobgoblin) and the Spider-Man Doppleganger, a leftover from the Infinity Crusade crossovers. Hobgoblin was my favorite of all Spider-Man villains because of the Stern / Defalco issues almost 10 years earlier (literally only months earlier in my reading chronology) so I actually kind of liked Demo & Doppy. It also featured Hag & Troll, two Ghost Rider villains and the Guardsman.

We already collected Web of Spider-Man, so I got Web #95 and #96:

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Now, my Dad never collected any Ghost Rider comics, and so I never collected any either, nor had any interest in the character. I totally understood he had an awesome visual, and I had recently seen his appearance in Jim Lee’s X-Men comic, but that’s about it.

Decision time: the story was entertaining enough but was it that good, or that essential, to pick up Spirits of Vengeance #5 and #6?

…I decided, yes, I should buy these issues.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

I bought them (these with my own money), read them and was able to get the complete story.

The end result? Well, even then I felt it was all a bit ‘meh’. I learned that when you buy a crossover issue of another comic, you’re still just buying a comic book about other characters. Your favorites are really just guests that with a limited presence, and the title’s stars and subplots are paramount to the issue, regardless of it being a crossover. In terms of plot importance, well, the plot wasn’t all that complex to begin with, so I wasn’t missing anything vital. All I ended up getting was some extra fight scenes where instead of Spider-Man shining, it was Ghost Rider shining.

The issues weren’t bad by any means, but they just weren’t what I was expecting. I thought by completing the crossover, the story would be much more fulfilling and some sort of ‘ah ha!’ moment would occur. It didn’t. All I got was two more issues of a bit of a standard, albeit fun, Spider-Man / Venom / Ghost Rider story.

And all these years later, this has been my experience 98.5% of the time. Its easy to give an example with Venom and Ghost Rider because most early 90’s popular stars are scoffed at these days, but the same rule applies to Superman or any other comic book star.

I reread the issues years later and they actually are pretty entertaining and fun. I’m glad I have them, even though they’re not Shakespeare. But by having the complete set, the story by no means is “enhanced” as the company’s would like to have you believe.

#480844 08/28/11 10:04 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
[Linked Image]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mom gave my little 12 year old self my allowance and set me free in a grocery store. I grabbed up my very first DC Dollar Comic - Superman Family #183. It was perched on the top of the spinner rack. Gorgeous Neal Adams cover. All those pages of brand new stories. Nightwing and Flamebird! It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen.

I rushed to the check out stand. The girl at the register wrinkled up her nose and said, "Oh my God. Who would pay a dollar for a comic book?" My feelings were hurt. I was too shy and embarrassed to say anything. I felt like I had done something wrong. I awkwardly payed for it, picked it up, and rushed out of the store, taking with me a lifelong pet peeve. If I'm buying something, sales clerks need to keep their opinions to themselves.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#480845 08/29/11 09:43 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Heaven knows what that clerk thinks of the price of comics now.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#480846 08/29/11 10:24 AM
Cobie's Ghost Rider crossover story reminded me of my own similar experience, although mine turned out differently.

When the first Ghost Rider series began, circa 1973, I avoided it. Motorcycles and flaming skulls were the things young boys were *supposed* to like and, even at that age, I hated being pandered to. But when GR # 7 hit the stands, pitting GR against a "One-Man Zodiac," I had to check it out.

The Zodiac story line had run in Avengers # 120-122 a few months earlier, with one member of the crime cartel (Libra - my sign!) continuing to appear for a few months after as Mantis's father. I liked Zodiac as villains. In Avengers # 120, they literally burst onto the scene by ambushing the heroes in their own mansion and defeating them in a blitzkrieg assault. They seemed incredibly powerful and ruthless, and (like the Legion) there were a lot of them (12 to be exact), each easily identifiable via costume and powers.

When the cartel was defeated in Avengers # 122, I thought that was the end of them, so I was pleasantly surprised to see their story continued in Ghost Rider # 6-7. (Fortunately, # 6 was still on the stands, and I was able to pick it up, too.)

As it turned out, the cover blurb lived up to its promise: Only one member of Zodiac appears -- Aquarius. Dying from cancer, he's made a deal with the devil (never a smart thing to do) in exchange for possessing all of the powers and identities of his former teammates. In the end, Satan tricks him, of course, and claims his soul.

However, the story stood out because it made me care about Aquarius, a very minor character in the Avengers issues. I truly felt sorry for him, caught between a deadly illness and the devil with no way out. The story made me realize that people who are desperate will do desperate (and sometimes foolish) things.

It also made me realize that there was no such thing as a minor character in the Marvel Universe. Even obscure villains had their own stories to tell.

More, I liked Ghost Rider as a character (which I attribute to the writing of Tony Isabella) and continued to follow his first series until it was canceled after 81 issues.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#480847 08/29/11 11:20 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
When Sandman came out in Junior High, I was hooked on Gaiman. I went right out and purchased Black Orchid #1, which my Mom found and promptly disapproved of ("She's not really naked, Mom, honest").

It wasn't until a few years later when I was in High School that I decided I was buying the other two myself. We only had one Comic Shop in town and it was a dingy little place which was almost hilariously a dead-on Sterotype of what comic shops should be. Diving through the back issue bins, I found a decent copy of #2, but there was only one copy of #3 and it was marked up to a ridiculous (for the time) $15.00. Admittedly, Gaiman's star was on the rise, but this was far above any guide price and was blatant gouging. 15 year-old me stared and stared at it. I needed this book, but I wasn't going to pay that price. With a lump in my throat and my heart beating fast, I took a quick look around to make sure no one was watching, and quickly ....

pulled the price sticker off the plastic back, crumpled it up and put it in my pocket.

I went to the front desk and as calmly as I could said, "this one had no price". The owner looked the book over, puzzled, then looked at the copy of #2 I had ($7.00), shrugged and charged me the same for both.

It took all my might not to run from the store with my ill-gotten gains. I was wracked with guilt for months later and brought the incident up the next three times I went to Confession (I still believed in God back then), but at the same time, I never did take the book back or admit my "crime".

Of course, looking back, I laugh as it was clearly a rip-off move on the stores part and I'm sure an $8.00 "discount" won't go down in the halls of the Juvenille Delinquency hall of fame, but at the time I would probably actually tremble while reading the book, my "half-stolen" comic.

#480848 08/29/11 11:56 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Cobie's Ghost Rider crossover story reminded me of my own similar experience, although mine turned out differently.

When the first Ghost Rider series began, circa 1973, I avoided it. Motorcycles and flaming skulls were the things young boys were *supposed* to like and, even at that age, I hated being pandered to. But when GR # 7 hit the stands, pitting GR against a "One-Man Zodiac," I had to check it out.

The Zodiac story line had run in Avengers # 120-122 a few months earlier, with one member of the crime cartel (Libra - my sign!) continuing to appear for a few months after as Mantis's father. I liked Zodiac as villains. In Avengers # 120, they literally burst onto the scene by ambushing the heroes in their own mansion and defeating them in a blitzkrieg assault. They seemed incredibly powerful and ruthless, and (like the Legion) there were a lot of them (12 to be exact), each easily identifiable via costume and powers.

When the cartel was defeated in Avengers # 122, I thought that was the end of them, so I was pleasantly surprised to see their story continued in Ghost Rider # 6-7. (Fortunately, # 6 was still on the stands, and I was able to pick it up, too.)

As it turned out, the cover blurb lived up to its promise: Only one member of Zodiac appears -- Aquarius. Dying from cancer, he's made a deal with the devil (never a smart thing to do) in exchange for possessing all of the powers and identities of his former teammates. In the end, Satan tricks him, of course, and claims his soul.

However, the story stood out because it made me care about Aquarius, a very minor character in the Avengers issues. I truly felt sorry for him, caught between a deadly illness and the devil with no way out. The story made me realize that people who are desperate will do desperate (and sometimes foolish) things.

It also made me realize that there was no such thing as a minor character in the Marvel Universe. Even obscure villains had their own stories to tell.

More, I liked Ghost Rider as a character (which I attribute to the writing of Tony Isabella) and continued to follow his first series until it was canceled after 81 issues.
Great story! I know exactly what you mean. Although not a comic I purchased (and therefore, slightly off-topic), Amazing Spider-Man #38, "Just a Guy Named Joe" got across this feeling really well, and that was a story I reread dozens of times as a kid. This concept is something that also made the Claremont X-Men run feel so special--"walk on characters" like Col. Michael Rossi and Lee Forrester were fully rounded individuals that would have complex back stories and emotions even though they were supporting characters in an already crowded comic.

#480849 08/29/11 11:58 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
When Sandman came out in Junior High, I was hooked on Gaiman. I went right out and purchased Black Orchid #1, which my Mom found and promptly disapproved of ("She's not really naked, Mom, honest").

It wasn't until a few years later when I was in High School that I decided I was buying the other two myself. We only had one Comic Shop in town and it was a dingy little place which was almost hilariously a dead-on Sterotype of what comic shops should be. Diving through the back issue bins, I found a decent copy of #2, but there was only one copy of #3 and it was marked up to a ridiculous (for the time) $15.00. Admittedly, Gaiman's star was on the rise, but this was far above any guide price and was blatant gouging. 15 year-old me stared and stared at it. I needed this book, but I wasn't going to pay that price. With a lump in my throat and my heart beating fast, I took a quick look around to make sure no one was watching, and quickly ....

pulled the price sticker off the plastic back, crumpled it up and put it in my pocket.

I went to the front desk and as calmly as I could said, "this one had no price". The owner looked the book over, puzzled, then looked at the copy of #2 I had ($7.00), shrugged and charged me the same for both.

It took all my might not to run from the store with my ill-gotten gains. I was wracked with guilt for months later and brought the incident up the next three times I went to Confession (I still believed in God back then), but at the same time, I never did take the book back or admit my "crime".

Of course, looking back, I laugh as it was clearly a rip-off move on the stores part and I'm sure an $8.00 "discount" won't go down in the halls of the Juvenille Delinquency hall of fame, but at the time I would probably actually tremble while reading the book, my "half-stolen" comic.
This story just made my day! smile

#480850 08/29/11 02:01 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Cobie, do you really have to quote the whole post?

No, you don't.

There, are you happy now, Lash?

#480851 08/29/11 02:04 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Ester can just be unhappy, especially because he hasn't told a story yet.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,269
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
String
String
The Bright, Sunny South
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star