Roll Call
2 members (Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Lard Lad), 19 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:30 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/24/24 09:11 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Tell your story about ONE purchase of a comic book!
#480877 08/30/11 06:05 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Great stories Teeds, Lash and Peebs!

Peebs--you reminded me of how sales tax is one of the great, unfair enemies of kids!

#480878 08/30/11 11:58 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
To some degree, I inherited my love of comics from my dad. When I was really, really little, I remember him buying some for himself and letting me read them, then later buying some that I picked out off the spinner rack.

I think he read some a good bit when he was a boy and did so sporadically when he was in the Navy, at least in his first dozen or so years. He didn't have a collection. Most either got thrown away or ended up in some pack rat hole or another. But after he stopped buying for himself, he was still always interested in superhero movies (like the Christopher Reeve Superman) and live-action TV shows (like the Incredible Hulk and the short-lived Spider-man show). I'm sure his fond memories of old comics enhanced his enjoyment of them.

Anyhow, over time my allowance notoriously became devoured by my growing comics habit (to both of my parents' derision), and dad never seemed interested in what I'd purchased. But there was one rare exception:

[Linked Image]

After a period of buying Marvel exclusively (caught the X-bug shrug ), Crisis drew me back to the DCU with its promise of untold carnage! But issue 7 was the most absolutely SHOCKING (and sad) book I'd ever read. Never had 15 year-old Lardy been witness to the death of what he considered a major character! I definitely shed some tears reading that one.

After reading it, I took the book and found my dad in his familiar place on the recliner. "Dad!" I said. "You've got to read this--Supergirl DIES!"

He had a look on his face that seemed puzzled, but he took the offered comic and proceeded to read it, folded-to-the-back style. A while later, he gave it back to me, looking a little sad. He said, "makes me wish I still read comics."

He read. he appreciated it. He was touched by it.

I'll never forget that.

I sure miss him.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#480879 08/31/11 04:06 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Really great story, Lardy! I never knew you pcked up your comic book habit from your Dad! I can totally understand how great it felt then (and still does when you think of the memory) to have your Dad read and be moved by a comic you bought.

#480880 09/03/11 08:31 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Comic Book Guy tells his story of Radioactive Man 100 in Radioactive Man v2 n1.

click to enlarge

You can buy and read it and tell your story!

#480881 09/04/11 07:32 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Summer 1991

I'm at the shop and I must have had a little extra cash, because I picked up this new comic completely on a whim:

click to enlarge

I don't think I'd heard of it prior to then. I vaguely remember seeing the issue on shelf, but I'm not sure exactly what caught my eye...sometimes you get drawn in by a really great cover but this one is just okay to me. Maybe it was the They Might Be Giants pin. Maybe I just wanted to buy another comic and it was right there. ANYWAY...I read it and I didn't care for it. Win some, lose some, right?

#480882 11/16/11 02:32 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Bodger Bonce

#480883 11/17/11 01:22 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
A comic I only bought one issue of, AKA the power of covers:

[Linked Image]

Now, I was a huuuUUUU-UUUUUGE JLI by Giffen/DeMatteis fan... it may be my favorite run of any title ever.

Hawkman and Hawkgirl had appeared in several issues but disappeared.

HAWKWORLD came out, but I had never read any Hawk-books and didn't read this one. Still, I had an interest in Hawkgirl dating back to the Dick Dillin satellite era, and was so glad when they FINALLY let her join! Still, I wasn't what you might call a big fan of them.

However, THIS cover caught my eye-- MY Hawkgirl... what happened to her? What's Martian Manhunter and Max Lord (EDIT: Or is that Amanda Waller?) doing?? Could this be a flashback to JLI? I had to know... and I'm not a flip-through guy usually... I buy it and take my chances for the most part. And I did so with this issue, even though I had read (probably in WIzard) that HAWKWORLD had made Hawk-continuity a total mess for DC (of course, I knew it was CRISIS that had done THAT little crime, and for more than just the Hawks).

So I bought it, and was inconsolable when I learned MY Hawkgirl had perished during the INVASION, with no fanfare whatsoever. It seemed rather hateful to me and made me sad, and I never got into this version of the Hawks because of it.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#480884 11/17/11 01:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Shayera Hol, created in 61, 15th member of the Justice League. She deserved a lot more than that.

I always liked her sassy talk, way way back before everybody was sassy talkin'.

Btw, How awesome was she in "Justice League: The Nail".

#480885 11/17/11 07:42 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
TRES awesome!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#480886 11/17/11 08:57 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Adventures of Superman Annual #3.

[Linked Image]

Armageddon 2001 was my introduction to the DCU, so I'll always have a sentimental spot for it. But, sentiment aside, some of those annuals were damn good alternate-future stories!

This was one of them. In it, Lois Lane dies from trying to bear Superman's child, and he leaves Earth. Enter Maxima. I won't spoil the rest.

This comic made me a Maxima fan for life. Imagine how disgusted I was when I returned to comics after being (mostly) away from '97 to '04 to discover that she had died in Our Worlds at War.

Maybe she'll come back in the DCnU? I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#480887 11/17/11 09:22 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Maxima's tenure in the Justice League was great. She grew from a somewhat selfish super-powered foe into a stronger, more selfless heroine who had a strong sense of warrior's honor and a lot of class.

I was sad to hear about her death, too. She deserved more.

#480888 11/17/11 09:42 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
LSH v4 Annual 6

I've already told my story about this (came from dentist, teeth hurting, and found solace in this gem from the back issue bins).

Now THIS gem was one of the comics that got me into the Legion. I got it at the same time I bought my first comic of another team - the Justice League.

LSH v4 62

I was bored, hanging out at the mall with my mom. I chanced upon a shop selling back issues - I was familiar with them, because my aunt had a massive comics collection.

I quickly pawed through the issues, and found one that excited me -

Justice League Spectacular 1

I'd read a few issues of the Giffen era before, and loved all the cool powers, colorful costumes, and the fact that there were so gosh-darned many heroes all in one book. This was MY Justice League growing up, so I didn't appreciate the likes of Black Canary or Firestorm or Hawkman until later on.

As I was hungrily looking through the bins for more Justice League goodness (and found quite a few), I chanced upon LSH 62.

I'm not really sure why I grabbed it. Maybe because the heroes on the cover looked younger than the average hero (I hadn't been exposed to the Teen Titans yet). Maybe it was the gross giant spider threatening them - it looked scary enough, and I was intrigued at the giant hand grabbing it and at the girl who was fighting back. A girl who wasn't screaming or freaking out at that... thing? Whoa!

Whatever it was, I decided to throw it in with my Justice League purchases, and there you have it. I was blown away by the idea that teenagers (just a few years older than myself, even) could be entrusted with something so important - the safety of the galaxy, and acting like a beacon of hope and a symbol of tolerance for the universe. Whoa. How the heck could they manage that, when kids my age kept going around in their cliques and bullying one another?

I wanted more, and I got more, slowly building my collection of Post-Zero Hour Legion issues (and even many of the SW6 ones). The SW6 ones especially made me realize that there was a whole wide universe out there that I hadn't discovered yet. I mean, the Earth is gone? What?

Luckily, the Internet would come in a few years, and I was finally able to understand the different versions of the Legion.

Now I'm really glad my mom dragged me along that day.

#480889 11/17/11 12:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I kinda have a LSH 62 story too... in those days, spinner racks were long gone, but bookstores and grocery stores still reserved some space for comics with the other magazines (I think bookstores still do but I no longer see them at grocery stores).

Anyhoo, after not seeing a LSH comic book anywhere but in a comic shop since the BAXTER launch, I saw LSH 62 in a grocery alongside the usual suspects like Spider-Man! I remember being slightly thrilled by this.

I can't remember if I bought it off the rack there though... probably not, as I'd been CBS-exclusive for a long, LONG time...

#480890 11/17/11 03:53 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
click to enlarge

Keep it classy, Clark.

#480891 11/17/11 03:59 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Frenching your new chick as she sits on your dead wife's grave is considered classy on Krypton.

#480892 11/17/11 04:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Poor Maxima, worst date ever ...

#480893 11/17/11 04:04 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Originally posted by LASHbrain:
Frenching your new chick as she sits on your dead wife's grave is considered classy on Krypton.
Super-Klassy, Kal.

I want to point out that I made up the drag king name "Clark Repent" before I saw this cover.

#480894 11/17/11 04:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I've thought of another one ...

I worked in Hong Kong for a year a couple years ago, It was the first time I've ever worked abroad, and the first real time I ever lived abroad.

I was uber lonely, separated from my bf, my dogs, and my friends ... not to mention I was depressed to be working frickin ALL THE TIME ... and I made some fun friends to go out with but, HK didn't have a lot to do when it came to my interests ... live music, museums, .... COMIC BOOKS ...

There were supposed to be a couple CBSs but I could never find them ... (months later when I did, the one I found was just a novelty shop)

One day I was going through the magazine rack at the fancy grocery store as I probably was buying some salami and cheese to sooth my comic book pangs ....

and I muther frickin SAW .... THIS!!!!

[Linked Image]

Hell yeah.

great art = check
dystopian future = check
the return of MY Legion/(FAVORITE)/original (it's been soooo long) = CHECK!!!

*sigh* It was almost as if Superman was flying through my hazy loneliness to say .... "Here's some old friends!"

I think I got these issues a couple months behind the curve but, I got them ALL, and they were so perfectly good .... they were almost enough to get me through my comic book famine.

It wouldn't be such a great story if the few comic books I was able to get during that year weren't so .... AMAZING.

Recently, while at a comic book sale, I bought mint copies to keep in their plastic bags forever. And even more recently while visiting my mom, I found some of the VARIENT COVERS (who knew there were beautiful varient covers TOO laugh ) .... at the only good comic store in the area where she lives.

#480895 11/17/11 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
Originally posted by LASHbrain:
[b] Frenching your new chick as she sits on your dead wife's grave is considered classy on Krypton.
Super-Klassy, Kal.

I want to point out that I made up the drag king name "Clark Repent" before I saw this cover. [/b]
Originally posted by Power Boy:
Poor Maxima, worst date ever ...
Okay, I'll admit the cover's tacky, but it's the story inside that counts.

(Not that I don't realize that the snarking's done in fun, and not that didn't find the snarking uproariously funny.)

I just hope you all will give it a chance.

#480896 11/17/11 05:06 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
If I come across it in the bins, there's NO WAY I can pass it up now!

#480897 11/17/11 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
If I come across it in the bins, there's NO WAY I can pass it up now!
LOL lol

Good to know. smile

And with comics of the early 90s having ridiculously large print runs, it should be easy to find cheap.

#480898 11/17/11 05:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
hug FL

#480899 11/17/11 05:28 PM
Awwww.

hug PB

#480900 11/17/11 05:38 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Hey you two, DON'T get a room on Shanghalla!

#480901 11/17/11 05:40 PM
rotflmao

Neither of us swings in the other's direction. wink

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,928
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
CreativityKid
CreativityKid
Pawtucket, RI
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star