Roll Call
1 members (idle, idle), 46 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/29/24 07:00 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/29/24 06:59 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:04 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Tell your story about ONE purchase of a comic book!
Thriftshop Debutante #797501 12/28/13 05:08 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
[Linked Image]

Power Boy #799212 01/19/14 06:10 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Power Boy
Not one of my first comics but one of my first strong comics memories. If not the standout first memory.

We got it from the 7-11 by the laundromat my mom used to go to. We went to the park with her long time boyfriend. had a picnic. and I fell in love with the X-Men ... and Kitty Pryde as they took on the 'Phoenix'. Great story, great action, great art, great character development.

I especially remember Kitty Pryde tackling the Phoenix in a brave, reckless, and excitingly drawn sequence.

What a great way to spend a sunny day in a park!

[Linked Image]

Thanks Chris and Paul. hug

Something else else happened to the cover ... and that is a CRIME!!!!!

[Linked Image]

Further, I love how complicated this story was ... it was a ruse ... by Mastermind ... not the Phoenix at all ...

lesser creators would just bring phoenix back ... have her smash around for 4 o 6 episodes and call it the event of decade but Chris and Paul had some subtle lead up in the prior issues and then a plot twist!

Thriftshop Debutante #831033 12/07/14 09:42 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
[Linked Image]

It was in the bargain bin.

There was NO WAY I wasn't going to buy it.

Thriftshop Debutante #835277 01/17/15 10:26 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
My ONE purchase involves several comics! As I've matured and my interest in current comics wanes, I find my interest in older comics rising. So when Memphis had its very first comic con last year, I went ready to find some great deals on 100 PAGE SPECTACULARS. BOY DID I FREAKING EVER.

[Linked Image]

6 JLoA, 5 SUPERMAN FAMILY, 2 BRAVE & BOLD, 1 SUPERMAN and 1 OUR ARMY AT WAR. Most were $5. FIVE FREAKING DOLLARS for these is unbeatable you say? WRONG-- a couple of them were $3!!!! One was $10 but I was caught up in the madness!!

I'm going to cut my current pull list considerably and focus on buying 100 Pagers I think. And other Giant stuff.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Thriftshop Debutante #835279 01/17/15 10:35 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
The ads are always more fun in older stuff too. Modern ads are just ads, you know?

Thriftshop Debutante #836864 01/26/15 03:24 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
[Linked Image]

Early 2005. I was at a personal all-time low, which drove me to take my comic book collection out of storage and rediscover the joys of comics. I was also making tentative efforts at getting into what was then current. So when I saw this puppy at Borders, I had to have it, given that I'd had a crush on Hal dating back to long before I'd ever read a superhero comic (from growing up seeing covers of "Linterna Verde" for sale at the pharmacy).

I loved it at the time. It was my gateway back into comics. Unfortunately, what the Big Two were at that time were the fading years of Quesada at Marvel and the onset of DiDio at DC. I bought into the shameless retro hype that DC was selling, and it fooled me for a full 4 years. I didn't wise up until Blackest Night.

It'll always have sentimental value, though.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Thriftshop Debutante #843374 03/14/15 06:15 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Originally Posted by Thriftshop Debutante
click to enlarge

It was in the bargain bin.

There was NO WAY I wasn't going to buy it.

In fact, history repeated itself and I bought it many times!

Thriftshop Debutante #843471 03/14/15 11:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
You got any copies left?

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Thriftshop Debutante #843473 03/14/15 11:30 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Left and right, baby.

Thriftshop Debutante #843479 03/15/15 12:06 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hook a brother up why don't you?

Thriftshop Debutante #843481 03/15/15 12:08 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
The legacy of a hookup is one of the issues LADY COP faces on the beat!

Thriftshop Debutante #843482 03/15/15 12:10 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I face that legacy sometimes on the beat as well...

Thriftshop Debutante #843485 03/15/15 12:17 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
[Linked Image]

Keep the story to comic book purchase, Trish.

Thriftshop Debutante #917642 12/04/16 02:45 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Bodger Bonce

MLLASH #942321 12/31/17 02:06 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Originally Posted by MLLASH
The early 80s... (VERY early, IIRC)... I was just a little kid... I had read and enjoyed the 70s revival Teen Titans (who seemed WAY older than me) and the LSH (Grell era... WAY older/sexier than me or my peers)... I was a teen on the verge!! Things were happening-- to my body!! NOBODY WILL EVER UNDERSTAND ME OR WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH!!!!!

Then the NEW MUTANTS graphic novel came out, and thanks to my grandmother, who is more fabulous than I can EVER CONVEY TO ANYONE (and STILL is), I got to buy it, read it and love it (and STILL own it)! THEN came THIS issue:

click to enlarge

I bought it on one of my weekly weekend trips with Granny to pick up her sister (my Mimi), who lived quite close to the comic shop.

Of course it was a great book, with great characters, who --unlike those DC "teen teams" (that I j'adored, don't get it twisted)-- actually seemed to be REAL CLOSE to my age, just a smidge older!! But all that doesn't matter.

What REALLY matters here, is me remembering reading it in her living room-- or whatever you wanna call it-- a separate room from the den, anyway-- in an awesome rocking chair as the sun shined through the window... a memory, for some reason I have never forgotten.

I have already decided to make this actually-superflous room a library one day, when the house is mine.

And any opportunity to thank Granny (and more indirectly, Mimi) for me becoming the fan I am is welcome to me. My Granny is the SOLE REASON I have both the music AND the comic collection I have. She gave me the funds necessary to have both, and only occasionally flinched at what I bought... (let's just say she isn't the Tanya Tucker fan *I* am, tee-hee).

Mimi may be gone now, but Granny STILL helps me read so many comics every month, I like to tell her whenever I've been to the CBS... and she's always happy I have something to read. I'm her baby and always will be.

Story about the ONE purchase thread -- the story above is a significant reason it exists.

Fanfic Lady #945130 03/03/18 12:22 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
click to enlarge

Keep it classy, Clark.

Originally Posted by MLLASH
Frenching your new chick as she sits on your dead wife's grave is considered classy on Krypton.

Originally Posted by Power Boy
Poor Maxima, worst date ever ...

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Okay, I'll admit the cover's tacky, but it's the story inside that counts.

(Not that I don't realize that the snarking's done in fun, and not that didn't find the snarking uproariously funny.)

I just hope you all will give it a chance.

If I come across it in the bins, there's NO WAY I can pass it up now!

Well, guess what?

Thriftshop Debutante #945160 03/03/18 04:24 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Omigods, omigods, omigods!

Did you like it, Teeds?

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Thriftshop Debutante #945174 03/03/18 09:53 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Wait...I gotta read it?

...okay, I will. Just gonna savor that cover flavor a bit first.

Thriftshop Debutante #945371 03/07/18 02:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
At Wizard World Philadelphia 2009, while I was walking by a booth someone's display table fell. I stopped and helped before more of the comics fell on the ground and helped the owner straighten up. They let me take a few comics for free as a way to say thanks. One of them was that Batman Elseworlds where he became Green Lantern.

Thriftshop Debutante #965610 01/11/19 03:32 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
click to enlarge

When this came up in the Nines I got to thinking about how I bought my copy, nearly 2 decades after it first hit the racks. This would be a time I was getting back into comics after a several-year hiatus. NTT wasn't any kind of priority for me by that point, but sure I'd grab this out of the bargain bin to fill in my back issues. #9 seemed to be one of those that wasn't scarce yet I hadn't run across much, if at all. It was kind of tattered around the staples and not high grade, but like I said: bargain bin.

Back to present: I go to my Titans box and pull my copy. It's in better condition than I remember. And wait...the price sticker on the bag looks more like how the bargain comics were at a different LCS. It *is* possible that I replaced a tattered copy with a better copy that I found elsewhere later; I've done stuff like that. One of those minor mysteries that probably can't be solved, and I've got something else on my mind. I made a side comment in the Nines thread that I could not remember what happened in this issue. I took a look at the first page and it did not seem familiar. (I've also done stuff like file away comics that I haven't read.)

I may have an unread issue of W-P NTT!!

Thriftshop Debutante #1032298 01/02/24 06:00 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Okay...wow, it's been epochs since I posted a story in this thread.

The good news is, I've got a doozy for you lovely Legion Worlders.

The bad news is, copyright laws and such have complicated image postings in the interim years. In short, I don't have a cover image to post. So if a mod or an administrator would kindly edit into this post an image of Flash 281, cover-dated January 1980. Thanks.

Now then, on with the story...

40 years ago, a grade-schooler Annfie was confronted by the cover of this issue on the comics rack at Fybeca pharmacy, inside the Inaquito shopping mall, located on Amazonas Avenue in Quito, Ecuador.

Young Annfie was actually scared of superhero comics, believe it or not. They seemed weird and sinister, especially their creepy front covers, such as this one. So I never bought superhero comics until several years later, after I'd moved to the States. But that cover stayed with me.

And yet, it's taken all these decades for me to finally fulfill my curiosity and buy the darn thing. Just a little while ago, I read it for the first time.

But let's backtrack to that cover for just a second. I now know that it was pencilled and inked by the late, great Dick Giordano, who was doing a ton of covers for DC at the time, all of them well above average.

The interior art is by Don Heck & Frank Chiaramonte. Heck has never been a favorite of mine, and IIRC he had just taken over the pencilling duties on Flash from the reliably good Irv Novick, whose Flash tenure was, again IIRC, about 10 years. So the artwork is plenty awkward, although Chiaramonte does his best to play up the gritty cops and robbers elements, which Heck was better at than superheroes.

The script by Cary Bates is fine for what it is. Having been writing the book for at least as long as Novick drew it, maybe longer, Bates knew Barry Allen and his world front and back.

What's decidedly different is that this issue is a turning point in Barry's investigation into the murder of his beloved wife Iris.
There are better ways to shake-up a monthly comic than to kill off a cast member, but whatevs.

Barry doesn't confront Zoom until a few pages before the cliffhanger ending, where the villain taunts the hero with the reveal that he knows who killed Iris, just as Barry has even weightier issues on his mind, such as the fact that, thanks to Zoom's future tech, he's sinking into the ground. Destination: the molten core of planet Earth itself!

Of course, we the readers know that Barry will somehow get himself out of this predicament, but it's still a decently executed cliffhanger, to end a decently executed comic book.

Is Flash 281 a lost treasure? Not by a long shot. But it's not bad at all for what it is. What's important is that I finally read it after all these years, tying up a loose end in my crazy life.

Oh, and

Zoom doesn't actually split himself I'm half. It's some kind of future-tech holographic trick.

Which is kind of disappointing, but, again, the good outweighs the bad. It's a decent comic, and I feel like I got my money's worth.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,314
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
TiJulk MrAsz
TiJulk MrAsz
Vyrga
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star