Roll Call
0 members (), 17 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:30 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/24/24 09:11 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20
Re: Any recommendations
thor2168 #875378 11/07/15 02:37 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, I saw the hardcover for it marked down a lot on In-Stock Trades, and it sparked a memory of its popularity. Seems like no one ever talks about it at all on the interwebz, just the usual suspects of the '80s--Moore & Miller, etc.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
thor2168 #875381 11/07/15 04:37 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Well worth it for the art alone.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thor2168 #875383 11/07/15 05:05 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yeah, I agree. Pretty great and groundbreaking for its era. Read it when I was in my teens in the late 90's and it definitely held up then. Bolland's art is mesmerizing.

thor2168 #875390 11/07/15 09:01 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Loved the first appearance of Merlin in that series.

"Who disturbs Merlin, son of the Devil?"

The exploration of the Knight who reincarnated as a woman (Tristan?) was also interesting, and was, as far as I can remember, possibly the first mature and lasting exploration of transgender issues in a comic (unlike the various Silver Age one shot 'X turns into a Y for a day!' silly stories).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
thor2168 #875415 11/08/15 03:30 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
After seeing Excalibur, I always read Merlin in the accent shown there.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thor2168 #875525 11/09/15 04:38 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
I love Camelot 3000. Mike W. Barr is one of the most underrated writers of his generation, IMO.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
thor2168 #875547 11/09/15 09:05 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Thanks for the feedback, folks! Just won an auction on eBay for the Deluxe Hardcover. Only 9 bucks including shipping for a $35 book!

Just shows how off the radar the book is nowadays. IST offered half off, and several other eBay listings for it are lower. Sounds like a steal!

thor2168 #875565 11/09/15 10:13 AM
Congratulations, Lardy. Happy reading, and I hope you write a review.

(Also hoping you review Avengers Omnibus Volume 2.)

Lard Lad #875612 11/09/15 02:22 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
I love Camelot 3000. Mike W. Barr is one of the most underrated writers of his generation, IMO.

Read the other week about him getting canned as a DC editor due to him coming out in favour of Finger getting a credit on Batman.

Originally Posted by Paladin
Thanks for the feedback, folks! Just won an auction on eBay for the Deluxe Hardcover. Only 9 bucks including shipping for a $35 book!

$9! Jillikers! That's a total bargain. Well done.

thoth lad #875614 11/09/15 02:31 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by thoth lad
After seeing Excalibur, I always read Merlin in the accent shown there.

Yeah, that guy was classic.

"A dream, to some. A nightmare, to others!"

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
thor2168 #875615 11/09/15 02:41 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I read that he was cast, not only because of his ability, but because his prior relationship with Helen Mirren ended badly. The director thought that having both of them would bring extra tension to the film. It certainly adds an undercurrent to their scenes together.

thor2168 #875739 11/10/15 03:59 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
So yesterday, I read Locke & Key Vol. 2: Head Games. Before I get into it, let me remind you of my recommendation for volume 1......

Originally Posted by Paladin
Last week I read Locke & Key Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez. I'd been hearing about this series for years, so I'd been patiently eBay-stalking the entire 6-volume set for a good while. I finally won a lot for a very good price a few weeks ago. Based on this first volume, I'm really glad I did!

Joe Hill has quite the pedigree, him being the son of horror legend Stephen King. To this point he has authored three novels and a number of short stories, including one anthology collection of them. It's hard for any child of a famous person to distinguish him or herself in the same medium that made their parent famous. On top of having the material succeed on its own merits, there's the inevitable comparison to what the parent has done. King has done very little work in comics, so Locke & Key is a fine way for Joe to distinguish himself from his famous dad.

You know, at first blush, there are a lot of elements in this story that seem pretty "been there, done that" especially in the horror genre. Hill uses a lot of familiar horror cliches--a mysterious, supernatural house, a creepy girl in a well, a family stricken by tragedy and unable to run away from it--to name a few that come to mind. Of course, you can argue quite successfully that every basic story has been told before. The difference is the execution, and I feel Hill does so nicely here.

To me, this story is successful for the same reason that I typically find success in stories versus ones I don't care for: Joe makes me care about the characters. A lot. The story features three siblings at its center, and you really get to know a lot about them through the course of the story, especially as you learn how the tragedy that initiates the story has affected each of them. The other characters are well-done as well, even the most monstrous of them.

I'd say that's one strength that Joe shares with his father. As well-hailed as Stephen King is as the master of horror, I've always felt that he would never have attained his success without his gift for crafting memorable, relatable and flawed characters. All of those elements are on full display in Locke & Key. If you can convey all of that with characters, chances are you will win my admiration and devotion as a storyteller.

This is not to say that there is nothing fresh and interesting in Locke & Key. I think the concept of Keyhouse is rife with potential of which the surface is barely scratched here. I can easily see how we will get five more volumes potentially loaded with twists and surprises. And I certainly liked what we saw here.

Even better, though this is part of a longer series, we get a fairly complete and satisfying story that stands alone pretty well, even as it clearly sets up further developments. There's an immediate threat to the volume that echoes some of the more thrilling horror movies, and that threat is more or less resolved by the end. I don't know if subsequent volumes are that satisfying on their own, but I really admired that element in this one.

Locke & Key is blessed in its entirety with the same artist, Gabriel Hernandez, who I felt did a pretty awesome job here. His work reminds me of two other artists I've enjoyed, Steve Dillon and Steve Pugh. And I also perceive a smidge of Kevin Nowlan in there--something about the eyes and the line, I think. But Gabriel is his own artist; those are just the nearest comparisons I can make. He tells the story very effectively and conveys a lot of emotion in those eyes and the body language. Very good job on the design of the house and keys and some very nice special effects when needed. Great job on backgrounds, as well.

So what you can expect from "Welcome to Lovecraft" is a solid, deftly illustrated horror story occupied by believable and sympathetic characters that will draw you in. It is both satisfying on its own and gratifying in that you know there is still much more story to come. Though I have them all, I choose to read each volume intermittently, so that I can savor the experience and look forward to more of the story when the mood strikes for some time. I give this book a very high recommendation!

I'm very happy to say that I loved the second volume as much or even more than the first! Joe Hill continues to enrich the great mythology he introduced so well in Welcome to Lovecraft and keeps me enthralled with a continued deft hand at characterization that hooked me so well in the opener.

Just as the first volume featured one of the mystical keys as a central plot point, this one highlights a new key that was hinted at in Vol. 1's closing pages. In fact, this one is a lot more crucial to the goings-on in Head Games and is, in fact, the driving force behind the events unfolding within.

I won't spoil what this key does (though the volume title gives somewhat of a hint), but I absolutely loved the concept and especially how delightfully it was presented early in the book. In fact, I literally laughed out loud a few times as we see Bode, Kinsey and Tyler Locke explore its usage. Then, we go from humor to horror as we see how the villain of the series (for lack of a better term) exploits the key for his own sinister ends.

Really, Hill pushes more and more outside familiar tropes with this volume and shows how original and what kind of legs his concept really has. We start to delve more into the hidden background of the Locke family and learn more about some tragedies in the past that helped shape the present. But we don't learn everything as there are more pieces of that puzzle to be revealed in subsequent volumes. And as cool as the keys are that have been revealed before, it's hard not to be excited about those hinted at or still to come.

If there's any downside compared to the first volume, it's that this one is admittedly less of a complete story than that one was in and of itself. To me, that's no detriment, as I already own the rest of the series, but it could be a turn-off if you require more resolution. Even so, I think the concept of this new key and what we learn about its use is highly satisfying food for thought even as the characters keep it all grounded.

Before I forget, though, the opening chapter, billed as an "Intermission", is itself a really awesome standalone story that bridges "Welcome to Lovecraft" and "Head Games". It centers around a private school professor who suspects our villain's secret, and we go on the journey with him. It has a beautiful beginning and ending that elevates the story to a work of art even as it features unspeakable horror. If I could, I would offer this story as Exhibit A to anyone who'd like to try Locke & Key. Terrific work by Hill and Rodriguez!

Gabriel Rodriguez continues to shine as series artist. The conceit of this volume's central key is both macabre and wondrous, and Rodriguez really pulls this dichotomy off extremely well. This is all in addition to his great work on the characters and settings. He really is a great match for Hill's strong scripts.

Overall, what this one does is it heightens my excitement for the concepts and my interest in reading the rest of the story even more. And I can't see what more you could want from a finite series of volumes with a definite beginning, middle and end! I'm definitely stoked to read more! nod

thor2168 #879398 12/02/15 10:34 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Monstress #1 was about as good an opening issue of a comic book as I've ever read. Anyone looking for something new and great they can be a part of from day 1, here is your chance. It's too hard to even put into words all the things that are part of it. All I can say is buy it. Trust.

thor2168 #884327 01/06/16 08:46 AM
I just returned the "Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment" trade to the library. I loved it! Mike Mignola fans would be doing themselves a great disservice by skipping this just because it's Marvel, while Roger Stern's script might be the best he's ever written for any publisher. This story is solid proof that Marvel characters can work with a Vertigo-esque approach (or, in this case, Proto-Vertigo, as the original graphic novel was published around 1989.) There is plenty of bonus material, including a great Marvel Age interview with Stern.

thor2168 #884363 01/06/16 04:09 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Three new books I'm liking:

Huck by Mark Millar & Rafael Albuquerque
Superman: American Alien by Max Landis & Tommy Lee Edwards.
Titans Hunt by Dan Abnett & Stephen Segovia. It's good to see the classic Titans again...except they don't remember each other yet.

Huck and Superman: American Alien have similar premises with the hero living in a small town where everyone knows about his powers and accepts and protects him. We see Clark Kent as a young boy dealing with flying powers he can't control, and later as a normal 17-year-old struggling with his responsibility to help when deranged killers attack Smallville residents.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
thor2168 #888006 02/23/16 03:50 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
So Marvel just put out an edition in their Masterworks series collecting the entirety of the Champions series, including guest appearances in other titles. It's 100 bucks, but In-Stock trades has it for half off this week.

I've never read Champions and have heard many derisive references to it along with a trickling of people who seem to adore it. I've always personally been curious about the particular character mix and have wanted to see what the deal was.

So....is it worth the 50 bucks as a treat for myself for my upcoming birthday, or should I totally skip it as a waste of my time and money?

thor2168 #888023 02/23/16 05:45 PM
Lardy, I think this Champions thread could be of some help to you:

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=825344&page=1

My own two cents in a nutshell is, no, it's not worth all that money, even with the nice John Byrne art. The team doesn't really gel, and most of the stories just aren't that good.

thor2168 #905871 08/16/16 01:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
My favorites right now are:

Paper Girls (by Vaughn and Chiang) It's like Stranger things on Netflix but even better.

Unfollow, like the Lost tv story but with lots of action. Lots of quirky characters.

Empress, It doesn't get more exciting than Miller and Immonen. I'm addicted. Lots of cliffhangers make it hard to wait a month! It reminds me of an action version of Saga.

My previous favorite Deadly Class
I think they just killed the main character but its still slated to be coming out in future months ....

thor2168 #907675 09/04/16 01:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The Vision; buy the Vision trade of the first six issues and if you aren't hooked it must be because you are dead. It is the best thing I've read since Saga.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
thor2168 #907677 09/04/16 01:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ Yep, Vision is very good!

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
thor2168 #909063 09/16/16 03:59 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
You've all encouraged me to order the Vision trade! I read the first issue and, while it was promising, it was just too uncanny valley for me. It sort of wierded me out.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
thor2168 #909065 09/16/16 04:05 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just finished the 1st Vision trade this week. It's really good. Super creepy but smart about it. I'm now looking forward to the next volume in December.

thor2168 #909141 09/16/16 07:58 AM
Regarding "Vision," several months ago I glanced at the first issue, and it just wasn't my cup of synthetic beverage. But, then, I've always been contrary that way. wink grin

Seriously, though, the amount of acclaim it's getting from Legion Worlders, from my chatroom friend Matt, and from just about everyone and everywhere else (combined with the fact that it will turn out to be a done-in-one 12-issue arc, what with King having signed up as a DC-exclusive creator,) I will probably end up giving it another go once the whole thing is collected.

thor2168 #909173 09/16/16 02:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm definitely getting Vision whenever I can. I've been eBay stalking it for a while, but it always goes for more than the In-Stock Trades price. So it'll probably be on an eventual IST order I do.

thor2168 #911662 10/01/16 02:03 PM
Okay, I've shilled for the first twenty-five Mike Carey issues of Hellblazer (175-200) many times over the years.

Now I feel that it's finally paid off. At the end of May 2017, DC's ongoing reissues of the entire Hellblazer run will reach Volume 16 and the start of the Mike Carey Era!!

I beg anyone who's not read any of Carey's Hellblazer issues, please, please, please don't let this trade pass you by. Nor the next one, Volume 17, which should end with issue 200. This is Hellblazer the way I always *wanted* it to be back in the 1990s. I think Carey strikes the perfect balance between crowd-pleasing drama, Easter eggs (deviled Easter eggs?) for the continuity buffs, and genuine scares. The only Hellblazer run that rivals Carey's in my mind is Andy Diggle's (230-244 and 247-249, with a 2-part fill-in from the estimable team of Jason Aaron & Sean Murphy), and that one felt prematurely truncated because of Diggle's foolish decision to sign up with Marvel.

In fairness to Diggle, and for the sake of critical objectivity, I have to give fair warning that Carey's final 15 issues of Hellblazer only prove that, unlike Diggle, who quit too soon, Carey did not know when to quit. So avoid Volume 18.

Also avoid Volume 19, which I calculate will mostly consist of Denise Mina's brief run.

Then Volumes 20 and 21 should manage to fit in all of Diggle's run, plus the Aaron 2-parter. Almost as essential as Carey's first 25 issues, IMHO, and almost as highly recommended by me.

Trust me, if you decide to read the upcoming Hellblazer Volumes 16-17 and 20-21, you won't be sorry!!

Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,928
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
MYG
MYG
Sayreville, NJ
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star