Roll Call
0 members (), 9 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/28/24 09:35 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:56 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:28 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The Flash (Barry Allen)
#485052 01/04/06 05:02 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Been rereading the series. Read from the Death of Iris to the end, and now went back to issue 197.

Great series. I really miss Barry. Would not want to see him return though.

Any other "old school" Silver Age Flash fans out there?

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 02/08/17 05:33 AM.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

Re: The Flash (Barry Allen)
#485053 01/04/06 05:45 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Ah yes. The Mirror Master. The Top. Captain Cold. The Rainbow Raider. Heat Wave. Gorilla Grodd. The Weather Wizard....

...and my all time favorite, the Reverse-Flash.

Wally West just ain't the Flash to me.

Percy: [on discovering the secret of alchemy]
Oh Edmund can it be true, that I hold in my mortal hands a nugget of purest GREEN??

"Blackadder"
#485054 01/04/06 06:08 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I like Wally...Waid made me like him, but Johns made me like Capt. Cold more...just came to that realization...

Barry is the best though.

#485055 01/04/06 08:00 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Sigh. They are both wonderful characters. Between the 2 of them, more interesting things have happened than to just about any other major heroic character. Barry has even been interesting as a dead/nearly dead/not quite dead yet hero. I haven't read the book in years, but Wally's character arc after Barry's death was compelling and believable.

Here's the problem. DC has f*#!&d over almost EVERY "second generation" hero in it's entire history. My god, look at Infinity, Inc. Look what Johns has now done to Hector Hall. Pol Krinn. The SW6 Legionnaires. Donna Troy/Wonder Girl. Jason Todd. The list is endless.

I loved Barry, but I thought his heroic story came to a conclusion. Maybe Wally's has, too. I don't know. But I am tired of the "kill your children" carnage at DC. Very, very tired of it.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#485056 01/04/06 09:38 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Oh, I have nothing against Wally West, who had to step into some big shoes. The problem is that I can't think of West without thinking of Kid Flash (whose costume was, IMHO, a lot better than that of the Flash).

Then again, it might just be a matter of taste. I can't think of Nightwing without thinking "Hey, isn't that the guy who used to be wearing little green pants?" Whereas seeing Tim Drake as Robin is very, very believable, to the point where I'm almost thinking of Drake as the "natural" Robin.

(Sidebar: If Superboy could travel to the future to join the LSH, why couldn't Robin have joined as a member? It would be great to see Dick Grayson or Tim Drake interacting with the Legionnaires.)

Percy: [on discovering the secret of alchemy]
Oh Edmund can it be true, that I hold in my mortal hands a nugget of purest GREEN??

"Blackadder"
#485057 01/05/06 02:36 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Crisis got me more interested in DC. Before I the Legion was the only title I stuck with. Would get Wolfman/Perez Titans on occassion. Also would get JLA on occassion. But most DC that i bought confused me as a kid.

Well after Crisis when I learned that Kid Flash (who i knew from Titans) became the Flash...I thought it was the coolest thing. Some old superhero I didn't care for died a heroic death and his young partner replaced him. Cool! So I really love Wally. And it fit as well. I can't imagine Dick Grayson ever becoming Batman.

(but I can imagine Tempest becoming Aquaman!) wink

#485058 01/05/06 07:12 AM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
The Flash was one of my favorite titles in the '70s. In fact, I think it was the only non-team book I followed when I was a kid. Wally West is not the Flash to me. I guess that's why I haven't followed the Flash since Wally took over the title.

#485059 01/05/06 09:45 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I read Barry's title sporadically when I was a kid. Barry was the first Flash I knew, but I like Wally and Jay better. I'd rather keep Wally than to get Barry back. If Wally can't be the "Flash" standard-bearer, I'd rather it be Jay.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#485060 01/05/06 03:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
I read Barry's title sporadically when I was a kid. Barry was the first Flash I knew, but I like Wally and Jay better. I'd rather keep Wally than to get Barry back. If Wally can't be the "Flash" standard-bearer, I'd rather it be Jay.
Interesting thought, Rockhopper...Only if Jay and Joan get a re-ageing zap...It would be like starting again from scratch

#485061 01/05/06 10:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
All-Star Flash as young Jay Garrick in modern times? I like that idea.

#485062 05/10/09 10:27 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Dev Em:
Been rereading the series. Read from the Death of Iris to the end, and now went back to issue 197.

Great series. I really miss Barry. Would not want to see him return though.

Any other "old school" Silver Age Flash fans out there?
So anyone still think the same?

Just spouting off.
#485063 05/10/09 11:25 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've never particularly cared for speedsters for some reason. It's a combination of the fact that "running reallly fast" as a power never excited me and the fact that they're rarely written up to their potential. (because someone moving that fast really should able to beat almost anyone they come across)

#485064 05/10/09 02:47 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I still wish he had not returned, but I am enjoying the new mini...and am eternally grateful that Geoff Johns is writing it.

#485065 05/11/09 07:34 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm enjoying it too right now. But the scariest thought I have is "What happens in a few years when Geoff eventually leaves the Flash title again?" Because to justify bringing Barry back in the first place, DC has to make sure every single issue if the best quality possible.

#485066 05/11/09 06:26 PM
Active
Active
I'm enjoying it, but I'm not liking the "driven by the death of his mother and conviction of his father to fight crime" angle, can't heroes do the right thing because, I dunno, it's right rather than be driven by some tragedy in their past?

But other than that I'm enjoying it and I'm willing to wait till all five issues are out before I get bent out of shape.

Long Live the Legion!
#485067 05/14/09 01:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm not following this. How many Flashes do we have now? Jay, Barry and Wally are all Flashes, and Bart is going back to Kid Flash?

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#485068 05/14/09 08:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, Barry was one of the characters I gravitated towards as a kid reading comics. He just seemed to inhabit this acid based world where he was the base about which all the insanity whirled and spun. Then, along about the time that Irv Novick left(it may have been his death, been a long time and I don't remember) they changed the run. Barry went to busting in doors and getting this phony cop personality grafted onto him. Then Iris was gone, and he was having a thing for Fiona and Zatanna, and it just didn't feel like Barry.

Then came crisis and his death. And I have to say that he became much more after his death. He truly took on an iconic quality that I thought he lacked as a blue collar working stiff in his "real" life. He, not superman, became the standard for the heroic ideal in the DCU superheroverse.

And now he's back. And I like Wally better, in spite of the last four years. I like that Wally took on the role when he didn't really want it. I like that he in many ways surpassed Barry because and only because he had barry's legacy to live up too. I like that he brought a return of the blue collar working man to comics, if in a roundabout way.

I like Wally better in the role of Flash now. I will always like Barry the character better, but Wally has the best, deepest, and most honest in a way characterization in the DCU.

Geoff is going to tell a great story, no doubt. But its a return of that grafted on persona that caused me to leave Barry's book in the first place.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#485069 05/16/09 10:08 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The end of REBIRTH #2-- now that turns things on their heads, doesn't it?

I like Barry and his CSI-like secret identity possibilities. I haven't been bowled over by his return to Flash-dom. The storytelling's fine.

On the whole, I'd rather read Wally as Flash, though. I'd actually like it if the afore-mentioned ending leads to something like Barry taking a different superhero ID, leaving Jay and Wally as the Flashes.

Bart's about to be back as Kid Flash-- I kind of would like to see Jenny come back in time and be Kid Flash for awhile, while Bart stayed in whatever 31st century is going to be featured and spend some time as a Legionnaire.

#485070 09/12/09 07:20 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Wow...between this series and LoTW, Geoff seems intent on bringing back a lot of characters that were dead and buried...and not in the Blackest Night sense.

#485071 09/12/09 09:24 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Geoff Johns has written some great comics in recent years but IMO this title is most definitely not one of them. Flash: Rebirth #4 was almost incomprehensible to me.

I'll pick up the final two issues in this mini because Comic Series Completion Disorder (CSCD) is an AMA-recognised disease and I am an unfortunate sufferer of it but the new ongoing(s?) will almost certainly not be on my pull-list.

#485072 09/12/09 09:32 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
He's still got 2 issues to straighten things out. I have hopes that the whole thing will make total sense by the time it's done. I get the gist of everything so far.

#485073 09/13/09 04:50 PM
Active
Active
Personally, I thought #4 was terrific, having just read it. I can only assume the confusion comes from the circumstances of Thawne's retunr not being explained. Thawne alludes to an enemy of Barry's being behind it, though it apparently hasn't happened yet. This is easily explainable by speedsters' access to time travel. And I'm sure we'll learn the circumstances of Thawne's return in the remaining issues.

I'm actually pretty thrilled to see Thawne's return, moreso than Barry's! To me, Thawne is the ultimate Flash villain, and there's been quite a void ever since he was killed off. I'm pretty surprised, actually, as Johns worked so hard to build up Hunter Zolomon as the new Zoom over his tenure writing the Flash. Zolomon never really worked for me though. It's actually really odd to see a writer who associated himself so strongly with Wally and Zolomon come back to the property with Barry and Thawne.

I like the Speed Force having a "dark side" as a new wrinkle. I mean, the Speed Force has always been a bit of a riff on Star Wars' Force, so I don't really mind Johns taking things a bit further. I also like the innovation here that Barry actually created or even is the Speed Force. It's a logical way to justify bringing him back and establishing him as the prime Flash. I'm not completely sold on bringing Barry back, mind you, but it's a step in the right direction.

What does vex me more and more is Iris and reconciling her history with where she is now. During the storyline that first brought us Bart Allen and into Waid's run and the Impulse title, Iris was an older woman, possibly old enough to be collecting social security. Now she's young again with no explanation that I know of. One could argue all this is post-Infinite Crisis continuity, but she still had to have had children and grandchildren! Bart and Jenni anyone? I've heard of hot grandmas, but COME ON!

So overall, I'd say that Thawne's return is redeeming Rebirth for me, though I'm not without concerns.

#485074 09/13/09 10:05 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Honestly, I think that while Geoff's original run on Flash was his way of distancing his direction from that of the popular Waid era that preceded his, Flash: Rebirth is connecting with and building on the mythology that Waid built up. There wasn't much talk of the Speed Force or much focus on the Flash family of heroes or even time travel that were all Waid hallmarks when Johns wrote the Flash. Suddenly, they're all very prominent in Rebirth whereas Johns' wrinkles, such as the focus on the Rogues are barely a part of the story if at all.

As someone who preferred Waid's run and what he did for the mythology, I applaud Johns for bringing all those elements back.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#485075 09/14/09 01:45 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It might just be me then. I've never liked the Speed Force as a concept (though to be fair I've never read Waid's run on this title so I might've missed all the good stories using it) so the heavy focus on in it in this tale might be part of the reason I'm being turned off.

I think the other issue I'm having with this story is that it seems to me to be all "sound and fury" but with very little focus. It reads to me like Geoff is throwing everything into it to make it BIG! and IMPORTANT! but not plotting the beats or even setting up the characters very well. (This Barry Allen for example reads very little like the Barry Allen I remember.)

Then there's the horrible retcon involving Barry's parents... but I hear an explanation is forthcoming on that one so I'll keep an open mind.

I'm not totally hating this book though - I also am happy to see 'Professor' Zoom back as well as Max Mercury and Johnny Quick (brief as it was) and the de-aging of Iris can only be a good thing IMO.

I think I was just hoping that Flash Rebirth would be more of a Barry Allen story and so far it seems to be more of an All-Flash/Speed Force story and since the new ongoing sounds like it'll be following the same format - I don't think it'll be a book for me.

#485076 09/21/09 11:35 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm witholding judgement on the entire Rebirth mini as thus far I'm on the fence about several issues.

One thing that did surprise me was that Geoff opted to keep Max Mercury alive. I think this was a great move on his part even if it means there is another speedster. It goes against everything he's been doing lately (or at least feels) and I wonder if he recognizes some of the criticism towards him that he's kill-happy.

As to Iris's age and the long, convuluted history of Barry and Iris through time, I think that's a thread Geoff plans to expand on, given his recent interviews. The explanation will of course be: time travel, but it'll be interesting to see the nuts and bolts of it.

I'm still clueless as to what this all means for Wally and Linda and the *groan* Flash kids who still remain a never-ending annoyance.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,306
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Chameleon Boy
Chameleon Boy
RWC, CA USA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star