Roll Call
0 members (), 14 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:10 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:42 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/16/24 11:16 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: The Flash (Barry Allen)
#485102 05/10/10 02:08 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
#1 was good enough that I'm sticking around for a while. We'll see how things go.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#485103 05/10/10 02:16 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I read #1 a few days ago and enjoyed it. The story was nothing revolutionary but it was well-told and well-drawn by Johns and Manapul. With Geoff haven already given Keystone City its own flavor back during his run with Wally, he looks to give Central City an identity of its own. Lots of table-setting here and not much happening in the way of standalone satisfaction.

This looks to be a much different series than Geoff's Wally West work, and that's a good thing. Even with familiar elements like the Rogues carrying over (and we wouldn't want it any other way!), Geoff is working hard to give us a sense of who Barry is as a character. I feel like this will be a must-read and another feather in Geoff's cap. Hopefully he and Francis will be here for the long haul.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#485104 05/17/10 07:16 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Catching up on DC's most exciting superhero comics, I found myself drawn immediately to the Flash, showing #1 left a bigger mark on me than I first thought. The reason is two-fold: Geoff did everything right in #1 and left his annoying habits at the door, and Frances Manupal's artwork is just incredible to behold.

That continues with #2. Manupal has really emerged as one of the best artists in comics IMO, in about a year's time. You can even see the difference in quality from his beautiful Legion work to now, where its even more dynamic and gorgeous. I think at this point he might be getting close to where I'd pick up anything he did hereafter, even Herbie.

Geoff also shows off his writing talent in the way that originally made me a big fan of his: tight, character driven stories with a ton of characters and lots of fast-paced action. I really like that Geoff began the first arc with this Rogues of the 25th Century storyline, because it seems so out of left field. It goes against expectations that he would jump right into the Rogues or do a more continuity-driven thing. Good for him. A solid Flash story that stands on its own was desperately needed.

The concept is also where Geoff shines: a pretty simple concept that seems natural to the overall scheme of things. If the Flash of the 25th Century (Zoom) is evil, then what if the Rogues were good? Simple yet brilliant.

With GL crossover free and Geoff writing Flash like this, this might a thrilling era of Geoff getting back to what he does best and not doing the things I find so annoying.

Also enjoying the plethora of subplots: Barry at work, taking on cases no one else will and Captain Boomerang about to make an overdue triumphant return. I'd forgotten how pathetic he was at the end, and that he also killed Tim Drake's father. But it happened nonetheless, and I'm glad Captain Cold called him on it.

#485105 05/19/10 07:33 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
That was a beautifully drawn issue. The apartment building thing was great. The end beat was great...it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

The future Rogues are interesting...but I love the real deal in this issue. Dang, Johns has really turned them into stars. They seriously have a mini or something.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#485106 07/26/10 01:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I just read last month's issue number 3--what a terrific comic this is shaping up to be! I think Geoff and Francis are hittin' this one out of the park! My favorite two elements of Flash stories are time travel and the Rogues--the introduction of the Renegades combines both of those elements, so I'm in seventh Flash heaven (or should I say the Speed Force)!

I also think Geoff is getting a better grasp on Barry's character. It's pretty subtle stuff, but that works for Barry because he's not an in-your-face kind of hero. I'm also enjoying Iris and Barry as a couple (though her de-aging still bugs me--even though Bart was rapidly-aged, she still raised the Tornado Twins to adulthood, damnit!). Their interaction feels pretty real.

The only thing that bugs me about the Renegades plot is why are they arresting Barry before he supposedly commits the murder? Are they trying to prevent the murder? If that's not their goal, then imprisoning Barry at this point would certainly cause a paradox, wouldn't it?

That aside, it's fun to see a good (though puzzlingly reckless) version of the Rogues from the future. I'm sure the inevitable confrontation between Rogues and Renegades will be lots of fun!

Bring it on!

#485107 07/27/10 06:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It has been a strong book so far, and with "Flashpoint" in the works and the announcement of a Flash-family book for next year it's clear that Johns has a mandate to do for Barry what he did for Hal.

It will be interesting to see if he can pull it off.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#485108 07/27/10 06:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
For Jenni's sake, of course.

#485109 07/28/10 07:05 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
After reading #3, I have to say based on the first 3 issues this is a contender for DC's best superhero comic book. Johns and Manupal are just clicking on all levels. I could keep showering praise every issue but I'll just be repeating myself.

Manupal is shaping up to be one of the very best artists in comics. His Iris is stunningly beautiful but not over the top. Barry is handsome and leading manish but not 'pretty' by any means. The Central City 'busy' backgrounds are just fantastic and I could stare at them all day.

I loved the way Geoff is having so many different things going on: the Renegades main storyline, the return of Captain Boomerang, the subplot about Jason Hicks (which shows Barry deals with real cop stuff too) and the big focus on the supporting cast, including Iris. Whereas the GL comic is currently in a very cosmic/grand scale mode still, the Flash comic is still very much down to Earth and grounded to the regular people. Reading them together is a nice combination from one very good writer.

#485110 07/30/10 05:30 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Issue #4 was another great issue. Johns and Manupal, like Cobie says, are producing a really fun honest to God super-hero comic here.

What kills me is that Johns writes this *one great example of how fun comics can be)...and is writing Brightest Day (one of the chief comics that shows whats wrong with comics today).

#485111 07/30/10 11:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ To each his own Dev Em but I think calling Brightest Day "one of the chief comics that shows whats wrong with comics today" is so far from what I consider to be the truth that I have to respond to it.

IMO there are much, much, much, MUCH worse books out there than that one. And also IMO - it's a very fun comic. It may not be fun-Ha-Ha like I imagine Generation Lost might be (I'm not reading it so I don't know) but it's very fun-interesting/exciting in my eyes and I'm fascinated with where the stories of Aquaman/Mera/Martian Manhunter/Hawk/Dove/etc are going in it.

Could I have done without the two instances of ultra-violence? Yes. And I'd like to see much less of that in comics too. But I'm not gonna hold those two incidents against the quality of the rest of the book. Which has been chock-a-block full of story IMO. In fact, I'm gonna flip your comment around and say that I wish MORE comics today had as much going on in them as this one does.

---

Getting back on topic - still kinda regretting not buying The Flash since it has obviously been getting great reviews from all sides, but at the same time I'm kinda happy with myself for making a stand and not blowing my money on certain titles. As the prices keep going up I'm just gonna have to keep making hard decisions like this one.

#485112 08/01/10 07:25 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Blacula:
^ To each his own Dev Em but I think calling Brightest Day "one of the chief comics that shows whats wrong with comics today" is so far from what I consider to be the truth that I have to respond to it.

IMO there are much, much, much, MUCH worse books out there than that one. And also IMO - it's a very fun comic. It may not be fun-Ha-Ha like I imagine Generation Lost might be (I'm not reading it so I don't know) but it's very fun-interesting/exciting in my eyes and I'm fascinated with where the stories of Aquaman/Mera/Martian Manhunter/Hawk/Dove/etc are going in it.

Could I have done without the two instances of ultra-violence? Yes. And I'd like to see much less of that in comics too. But I'm not gonna hold those two incidents against the quality of the rest of the book. Which has been chock-a-block full of story IMO. In fact, I'm gonna flip your comment around and say that I wish MORE comics today had as much going on in them as this one does.

---

Getting back on topic - still kinda regretting not buying The Flash since it has obviously been getting great reviews from all sides, but at the same time I'm kinda happy with myself for making a stand and not blowing my money on certain titles. As the prices keep going up I'm just gonna have to keep making hard decisions like this one.
Like I said over in the BD thread (repeated here for those not following convos in multiple threads), it's not the actual writing or that itself...it is the cases of ultra violence shown on panel that is what is wrong with the book, and the trand in comics (from both major Super-hero comics publishers) today. Violence and even gore can have its place in comics (Vertigo/Max/Icon/etc) just not in mainstream hero comics that kids can grab off the shelf.

The Flash and Adventure Comics so far have been comics that show a lighter atmosphere, yet no less dangerous situations in comics. I can hand either one to my 9 year old and not have to worry about her having nightmares about what she saw drawn in a comic...especially one that touts a "Brightest Day" banner on the top. Which DC can proclaim does not mean anything, but it certainly is being pushed as such overall.

Just my 2 cents to clarify my stance.

#485113 08/20/10 01:14 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Finally read issue 4 today--OUTSTANDING!!!

Loved the helicopter rescue scene, and the Renegade Top's unwillingness to let Barry go down without being warned at the apparent upcoming cost to the Top's life.

We get confirmation of exactly what it the circumstances are that surround what the Flash will supposedly do to cause him to be hunted down. It's a fascinating story, especially given that there were no "flash-forward" images to accompany it. Is this what Flashpoint will be about, or will it be resolved in this storyline? Either way, I'm intrigued!

Still want the whys and wherefores explaining why the Renegades would want to arrest Barry before he kills Mirror Monarch. Preventing MM's death appears off the table, so that bit still confuses me. Anyone have an idea about that?

In any case I hope these Renegades aren't disposable characters. I think they're hella-cool and would love to see them appear more and be developed further after this storyline!

#485114 08/31/10 07:58 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So in #4 what stuck out for me in a big way was the Renegade Top stepping up and becoming a much more complicated character than he first appeared--this added some solid depth to the Renegades and really upped the story IMO.

The series is outstanding as Lardy says and IMO has overtaken Green Lantern as Geoff's best title.

One minor complaint is it reads a bit too quickly (a common Geoff complaint for latter parts of long stories) in that there are perhaps a few too many splash pages and dialogue-less panels. *However*, Geoff has Frances providing some killer art so it takes away any sting.

Also the best Captain Boomerang since Suicide Squad, and for many years, the character hit a point where I almost preferred not to see him show up--something no other Rogue ever did. Glad to see him restored to glory.

I also feel like the first Mirror Master--a contender for Barry's greatest villain--might be returning somehow. Anyone else sensing this? I'm not opposed to it if it's done well.

#485115 10/02/10 04:55 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Issue 5.

All I'm gong to say about the actual story is this...very well played Mr. Johns. Wonderful twist thrown in there.

The Brightest Day thing thrown in the middle was kinda useless...but not terrible.

The art in this book is unbelievable.

#485116 10/30/10 09:04 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
#5 continues the high level of quality on this comic in all forms. Frances' art is just so good that it almost makes me want to weep tears of joy. And Geoff is doing his very best work right now here.

I really liked the twist with one of the Renegades and I'm really curious for how this all will turn out.

I liked the 'Barry meeting Mirror Master II' sequence. That was really cool. Barry never got to really know that the first Mirror Master died since his death happened while Barry was imprisoned by the Anti-Monitor. I'd like to someday see what his reaction was since the first MM was Barry's true arch-nemesis, only comparable to Zoom.

My one complaint was the Brightest Day sequence was incredibly pointless and stupidly included. I hate when they do this.

#485117 10/30/10 08:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ Minor correction from a Crisis loving freak laugh - Barry had already sacrificed himself when Sam Scudder died. Barry died in #8. Mirror Master in #12. But your point is correct - we haven't seen Barry's reaction to that passing yet.

#485118 10/30/10 09:45 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I thought MM died when the villains failed to stop Krona in #7 or #8? Now I have to reread.

#485119 10/30/10 11:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
He did - but that happened in #12... I think. You've got me starting to doubt myself.

But it definitely wasn't #7 (that was all about the big raid on the anti-matter universe and Supergirl's death) or #8 (which was Barry's big heroic sacrifice issue).

... OK some quick internet research tells me it was #10 that Mirror Master, Icicle and Maaldor the Dark Lord were all killed by Krona in. Earlier than I was thinking but still after Barry's passing.

I do need to re-read that series one day. I love it so much. I've been wanting to get the Absolute version for ages. I might see if someone wants to get it for me for Christmas. smile

#485120 01/02/11 08:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
You know what? Flash is IMO the very best ongoing title being published set in the DCU! Now, I don't read every single comic DC puts out, but I've a hard time believing there's one better.

Flash #7, featuring a spotlight on Captain Boomerang, was terrific. Even though Barry Allen only appeared in flashback, this was a very entertaing focus on a character recently returned to life at the conclusion of Blackest Night. Clearly, his return enhances the rising profile of the Rogues and gives them someone who is a part of them while also being on the outs with them

As acclaimed as Geoff's run was on the Wally West version of the character, it never really clicked with me for some reason. Here with Barry Allen, Geoff is clicking on all cylinders with me.

It's suddenly occurred to me that I may have hit on the reason. In Geoff's run with Wally, the Rogues were also heavily featured. The difference is that the Rogues were Barry's foes much moreso than Wally's.I know Geoff did what he could to enhance them and make them Wally's own, but they just go more naturally with the guy they were literally created for. I always loved the Rogues, but their chemistry with Wally wasn't what it was with Barry. Waid used them very sparingly on his run with Wally, which is part of why I may hold his run in higher regard.

I especially enjoyed Geoff's spotlight here on Digger Harkness. I'm a fan of the character from his days with the Suicide Squad. Here, Geoff sheds some light on the character's motivations while avoiding making him overly sympathetic. Framing the flashbacks around Digger breaking into Iron Heights to meet with the Reverse Flash is effective. Professor Zoom is my favorite nemesis for Barry, and I'm excited to see the next issue focus on him and the ramifications of this one's events.

Where this issue falters a bit is that Digger's whole motivation for talking to Zoom ties into Brightest Day. The crossovers (though truthfully fairly minor) with that event in this series are intrusive to what has been an otherwise self-contained and superlative reading experience. I suppose it's difficult to ignore given Digger and Zoom being amongst the resurrectees, but I'd rather Digger's motivations were a little more internal.

Scott Kolins did the art this issue, and I'm really continuing to dig his new style. He's really just about as good here as regular artist Francis Manapul. Scott's been involved here so much (with backups and variant covers) already that you get the feeling he really wanted to be the series artist in the first place, perhaps having gotten back the itch for the Flash universe from when he was Geoff's primary partner on the Wally west run. Honestly, when Manapul inevitably leaves, Scott would be my number one choice to replace him.

Overall, this was a terrific issue. I loved particularly how the boomerang motif was used to show how all the bad Digger's done has come back to haunt him. I particularly would've liked some spotlight in the flashback to have been given to Digger's departed son, the second Capt. Boomerang, in light of the father issues Digger is shown to have had in his life.

A great standalone story, though a new reader might have hoped for more Flash in his own book! It was probably a little too soon to have a non-Barry issue after only six issues but is a treat for longtime fans of the character.

Lardy's rating for Flash #7: 4 donuts! (out of five)

#485121 01/03/11 09:19 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Just reread 1 - 6 and 7 of the new series.

Issues 1 - 6 read much better as a whole group...showing the signs of being written for trade. I enjoyed the issues as they came out...enjoyed it more as a whole though.

There is not enough that can be said about Manapuls' art on this book. It is just beautiful. They always called Superman the boyscout, but I always thought it really would have fit Barry better, and Francis' art here conveys a sort of clean look that shows you can be a person driven by morals and still have a good story told about you. In a comic industry that seems to want to make everyone gritty, The Flash is showing that it does not have to be to be a good book.

Issue 7, the Boomer issue, was great as well. Kollins newer style (man, this guy reinvents himself every few years, and keeps getting better) is nice for these Rogue issues. Gives it a throwback to Geoffs original run profile issues. Boomer is here in all his glory..and like Lardy, I would have liked to see his son touched upon...but I guess you cannot have everything.

The Zoom thing thrown in here seemed forced, and I will be glad when the Brightest Day crap is over with. I am sure Geoff will incorporate everything nicely, but every hint of it so far in this book has jarred me out of the flow of the story.

#485122 01/03/11 09:27 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Chief Lardy:
You know what? Flash is IMO the very best ongoing title being published set in the DCU! Now, I don't read every single comic DC puts out, but I've a hard time believing there's one better.
I'm in agreement. CBRM will help determine if there are any that come close, but right now, I think Flash is the best thing DC is publishing, hands down!

#485123 01/03/11 09:30 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Books like this, The Atom backup (God, I hope they give him a monthly with the current team) and Booster Gold is why the DCU is still, for me anyway, hitting on more cylinders than Marvel. I need to catch up on Superboy...and I hope that it too has some of the same themes going on.

#485124 01/03/11 09:36 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^I'm not sure if DC is better than Marvel right now (though I have to admit, Marvel in Dec 2010 is not as good as Marvel in Dec 2009), but I plan to give it a thorough analysis this month.

I do think you'll be impressed by the quality of Superboy, which I've been enjoying.

#485125 01/03/11 09:41 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
That's why I said that for me...DC is better. I like storytelling that does not solely rely on shock value to achieve a good story. Yes, DC does enough of that, but Marvel has destroyed or killed most of the characters that I care about, and continues to make the one that I would read an overly dark and gritty book( at least from what I have seen.) I would prefer an approach like Booster Gold to Spiderman...humor and drama...without the total personality change in the main character and friends.

It's a personal thing...I dropped Brightest Day because the graphic scenes do nothing for me in a super hero book. Again, it's a personal taste thing for me.

#485126 01/03/11 01:11 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
You guys are making the new Flash book sound awfully tempting.

One question, though, has there been any Johns-brand tomato sauce in Flash? I know there was in Flash: Rebirth, along with a retcon that Barry's parents were killed by Zoom (WT...?)

I, personally, really hope that the original Mirror Master doesn't return, because that would only spell doom for Evan McCulloch, one of my favorite villains of the past 25 years (even though my last JLA fanfic turned out to be a washout, I did enjoy writing Evan and Poison Ivy.)

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,836
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Wayne3003
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
DrakeB3004
DrakeB3004
New York, NY
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star