Roll Call
0 members (), 10 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 04/20/24 06:47 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/20/24 06:27 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/20/24 06:25 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/20/24 06:22 AM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/19/24 05:14 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/19/24 11:59 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: The Flash (Barry Allen)
#485127 01/03/11 01:36 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Nothing that I can think of off the top of my head. It's been pretty straightforward heroics. There is the boring things that have to do with Brightest Day in there, but for the most part those are pretty few and have to do with Boomer-butt. It also feels as if a lot of it is setting up his coming Flashpoint event...but that does not mean that the ride isn't fun.

Check the trade when the library gets it...I think you'll like it better than most of the other stuff Johns is putting out.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#485128 01/03/11 02:01 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Thank you, Bug. I definitely will give the trade a go when it arrives.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#485129 01/06/11 09:23 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
FL, I also recommend you give Flash a try. Like Dev says, it's been full-on superheroics so far. Of all the Johns books, this one has been the one with the good-Geoff qualities without his bad-Geoff qualities.

#485130 01/07/11 11:24 AM
Thanks, Cobie. I'm actually looking forward to the trade now.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#485131 01/13/11 08:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Can't say that I'm really impressed by this flash run so far. Its been really slow after the rebirth, which wasn't really... it didn't grab me the way Hal's story did.

to many things stick in my mind, like, how is grandma Iris now looking like she's twenty five without an explanation to those that knew her before she went into "witness protection". And even then, I didn't see her as a twenty five year old, more like an early thirties modern woman and wife.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#485132 05/16/11 08:13 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So I caught up on the build-up issues to Flashpoint and I can't help but feel that Geoff is slightly phoning it in here--like the man is way too overstretched with his other job. Something else else about these issues, while not bad or anything, just felt like they were a bit run of the mill, and more than a little padded.

Compounding matters is Scott Kollin's artwork, which I've always kind of enjoyed, just isn't it doing it for me. When Manupal does an issue with Johns, his art is so gorgeous it takes a mediocre Geoff story and makes it great; when Kollins does it, he's unable to add that little 'oomph', revealing the story for what it is: only okay.

The first 6 issues of the Barry Flash comic were full of promise and potential. The next six failed to live up to it and spent way too much time building to Geoff's next big event. I felt like it was really lacking in character moments and way too plot centric (and a pretty thin plot at that).

#485133 05/16/11 11:45 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I agree that the last 6 issues felt like total filler to get to Flashpoint. Since I love Barry Allen, I am still glad that he is in his own book again (although I would have been fine with him remaining dead...but I'll enjoy what I can get at this point.)

There is so much more that could have been done...but the books are now written for trades, at least it seems that way to me.

#485134 05/16/11 02:15 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
It's odd: when Barry was brought back, I felt it was groan-inducing and just another annoying thing DC had done. But those first 6 issues wowed me and basically won me over.

Now these last 6 issues are pushing me back to the other side.

I think you're dead on--it's written for a trade, to be marketed as "the road to Flashpoint".

#485135 09/03/11 04:23 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy108/djsopko/ZorroRidesagain2A.jpg

Article on Barry Allen's marriage in the DCnU.

Basically, it's cooler to have him single and dating a co-worker than show one of our heroes in a well adjusted marriage. So not understanding this. But I know that the new DC is not for me...Legion of Super Heroes aside.

#485136 09/05/11 03:53 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
I'm intrigued by that revelation too. I would think Barry being married, and possibly having to HIDE his super heroics, would be a far cooler (and unique premise) for him in the DCNu. If anyone could attempt to make it work, it would be the fastest man alive.

#485137 09/05/11 03:02 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I bet he's dating that chick Johns introduced in the last case before Flashpoint.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#485138 09/05/11 03:08 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Yep. You would be correct. Cause that's what all the cool kids want to read about.

#485139 09/05/11 03:15 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
She seemed cool, but she's no Iris. A Fiona whatsername (or whoever) at best! nod

The only plus I can see is that a reboot cleans up all that mess with Iris being old and then young again and whether she ever gave birth to Don and Dawn and whether she ever brought Bart back with her from the future or ever wrote Barry's biography and all that crap that annoyed me.

No reason he couldn't be married to, or at least dating, Iris, though. shake

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#485140 09/28/11 03:59 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
FLASH #1: Now this was a fine story-- I liked the way it was paced and how it showed us some of the ins and outs of this Flash's life. It led to a cliffhanger that was unexpected and left me wanting more.

I don't like that the Iris/Barry relationship has been 'erased', but the possibility of it developing is there. I don't dislike her 'rival'.

I'm still pissed at Wally West's continued absence from the new canvas, though. And DC's attitude about the whole thing.

#485141 10/02/11 12:30 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, the biggest surprise of the entire DCnU relaunch IMO was Flash #1! Quite frankly, this was a revelation! I was cautious heading into the issue and within the first two pages, I knew I’d totally underestimated it. By issue’s end, I was absolutely blown away by how damn good it was. Francis Manupal and Brian Buccelato have not only delivered one of the very best issues of the entire relaunch, but they’ve written probably the best Barry Allen Flash story since the early 1980’s!

I knew from the last Flash run (and other things) that the team of Francis Manupal on art (pencils / inks) and Brian Buccelato on colors is fantastic. And I really mean ‘team’, because the colors really add an added layer to Francis’ spectacular work; it was clear on Superboy in Adventure Comics, then the last Flash series, and it still is here. Even more, they really take their art up a notch in a big way. Whereas in the last series there were a few too many splash pages for my liking, I’m beginning to think that was courtesy of then writer Geoff Johns. Here, the composition and pacing is much more stylized and funkier, and it works in a big way. Several pages have intricate, original layouts that maintain a high-energy pace while also just being pure pleasure on the eyes. Much like Darwyn Cooke, Marcos Martin and others are really redefining what good comic book layouts are like these days, this art team is taking things to a new level.

But the real revelation of course is that these two guys are excellent writers! Geoff Johns who? I think without Johns, the Manupal / Buccelato team is actually much better on the writing chores of Flash! The book had me literally turning each page in anticipation for what was to come next, balancing excellent action sequences (two good ones in one ish—like the old days!), with great interludes that built up character and premise. What a really well put together comic!

Barry is interesting and exciting from the get-go and they give us enough to move forward without drowning us with exposition about Barry’s life and history. They also provide a great introduction to some of the supporting cast, including Barry’s co-workers (and possible part time girlfriend from Flashpoint), a new character Dr. Darwin Elias (who will obviously be prominent) and of course Iris. We get glimpses and teases of Iris and it was enough for me to find her highly attractive and wanting more. This whole no marriage thing may just work out okay after all…

I enjoyed the storyline of the issue, with a seemingly random minion turning out to be Barry’s former pal from the police academy that gets killed in a battle with the Flash; to Barry’s guilt and sadness over it; to his determination to find the truth CSI style; to the huge twist ending that totally hooked me in terms of wanting to know more. Well done!

Also well done is the continued CSI-type approach to the way the Flash works as a hero. A good way to make the Flash even more unique.

The best part of the issue though is the tone of the series. It’s fun and upbeat but never childish. You can enjoy it as a grown adult or younger reader all the same: pure superhero action that is running a mile a minute with a ton happening.

I’m really blown away by how good this was. Good for Francis (and Buccelato)! This is a contender for my very favorite of the entire reboot!

Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I'm still pissed at Wally West's continued absence from the new canvas, though. And DC's attitude about the whole thing.
This is still unforgivable. It has nothing to do with Francis and Buccelato, of course, so its a gripe I hold the trio of evil responsible for (Didio / Lee / Johns).

#485142 10/05/11 07:40 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
What a beautiful book. The writing and art are truly meshed in this title.

Glad I gave it a try even over my disgust with the Barry/Iris marriage issue and the lack of Wally West in the DCnU.

On board for now.

#485143 10/30/11 12:16 AM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
I can't believe I'm buying a FLASH book.
I can't believe I'm enjoying a FLASH book.
Francis is really firing on all cylinders!

#485144 10/30/11 11:44 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I bought 1. It left me kinda flat. Wish Wally was back.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#485145 11/22/11 04:04 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Flash #2: this might be the very best DCnU comic of them all.

Enjoyable on every concievable level and I'm anxiously awaiting for more. This is a series I wish came out every week. All the good things I said on the previous page about #1 are there in #2 and actually improving.

Best artwork & composition of all the DC comics that aren't entitled "Batwoman".

#485146 11/23/11 03:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#3 continues everything that Cobie praises along with a pretty gripping cliffhanger.

But I'm with Rick, at heart. I don't see why Barry and Wally and Bart (and Jay, but that's a separate gripe, now) can't coexist.

A Rogue seems to have had a former gimmick gun power internalized. But I might be inferring too much.

I'm disappointed with DC going with that brat Axel in the role of Trickster in this DCU, though, to be fair, he's only been called Axel, so far. But he is wearing circus-striped pants...

#485147 12/02/11 06:28 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Does anyone notice that in Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern and Flash, the bad guys actually won? Sinestro got the GLC to initiate lethal force, and now HE's a Green Lantern but Hal isn't, and Professor Zoom murdered Barry Allen's mother and framed his father, and because Barry can't change the past but Zoom can it's irreversible.

And in his last story for Teen Titans, Deathstroke played the Titans for saps with his Titan East gambit, to "ensure" the TT would be a good family for Rose and Jericho. And they never found out.

What the hell?

#485148 01/21/12 06:41 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
CAught up to issue 4 on this. Great book. Beautiful artwork and creative designs.

The story is pretty good...much better than I had thought it would be before it even started.

The Rogues are indeed internalizing their powers (at least some of them will be...I remember reading about it somewhere when the whole DCnU was starting.

#485149 02/07/12 08:21 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Issue 5 is in the bag...and it wraps up the initial Mob Rule arc.

I'm a little torn on the whole thing. It was kind of blah story wise...not bad, but not great either.

The art on the other hand is unbelievable in its execution. It is part of the story.

I will be interested to see where they take Capt. Cold next issue, and the continuation of the revelations at the end of the issue about the speed force.

#485150 02/22/12 01:07 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I actually really loved this opening arc of Flash. In terms of Mob Rule himself (themselves?) it wasn't the greatest thing ever, but in terms of the actual story-telling by Manupal and Buccelato, it really is staggeringly mind-blowing. What I mean is the panel layouts, the pacing, the tone and the constant forward momentum of the entire story-arc were just spot on. Between Barry's back story with Manuel, his interactions with Iris (as both Barry and the Flash), his interactions with the Central City PD CSI division and just the usage of his super-speed in general, it felt like a really complete, complex story.

I'm really impressed by these two creators and what they've delivered. IMO, this is entirely better than what the Barry series was before with Johns.

In a way, I can't really get over DC squeezing out Wally. Even though its been Eight Years, it still stings. But perhaps this is the start; because if its a Barry Allen series that is doing the same things either Waid did with Wally or Johns did with Wally, it will just continue to feel like a slap in the face. But if its a series in a completely different direction--like this one has been so far...well, that might be something I can get behind. That might be something to make me happy to read a Barry Allen Flash comic.

I'd rank the Flash relaunch among my favorite of the whole 52.

#485151 03/07/12 06:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Everyone, I've been thinking about this for a while concerning Barry.

I realized, Flashpoint doesn't work as a story. The whole point was that Barry Allen went back in time to stop Professor Zoom from killing his mother, and because he did, he broke reality. This is because, Zoom, as Barry's opposite, generated his own Speed Force, which allowed him to do things Barry and the others couldn't. Like go back in time and change things. That was a point in Flash: Rebirth. The Flash Family can't use their powers to go back in time and change things, it never works.

Not only that, but Barry essentially went back by himself. He didn't plan it out carefully, he didn't talk to Wally, Jay, Max, or Iris about what he was going to do. He did this by himself. And he did it like an amateur.

Geoff John's book was dealing with how Barry had been cutting himself off from the rest of the family for a while. Although, it's not as if Wally and the others didn't try and get Barry to sit down and talk about it. God knows Wally tried harder with Barry than he did when Roy went through some... unpleasantness. And still, Barry did this by himself.

I'm not saying I don't sympathize with Barry for what he was trying to do. Zoom killed his mom, and Barry was just trying to save her. Still, he handled this like a moron. He didn't discuss what he was going to do with anyone, didn't bother to speak to anyone with any experience in time travel or changing the past, or let any of his family in on what he was doing. All Barry cared about was saving his mom and stopping Zoom. But was he doing it for HER sake or just so HE would feel better? Did he even stop to think about the consequences of going back in time and how it might effect anyone else?

I know I cut Roy Harper a lot of slack because of how craptastic his friends acted in Rise, but I really can't see someone like Barry Allen, who's suppose to be on par with the messiah in the DCU, one of the most intelligent and rational of the heroes, doing something so stupid and reckless. Does grief have a part to play in his actions? Maybe, possibly.

Because of Barry the DCU was broken and when he tried to fix it we got the DCnU.

I can't say I was Barry fan before, because of how he seems to represent the unrelenting favoritism towards the Silver Age, but realizing one of his self-professed fanboys, Geoff Johns, write him as so OOC in order for Flashpoint to work doesn't help.

Am I wrong? I'm up to talk about it.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,863
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Bedlam Lad
Bedlam Lad
Bradford, UK
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star