Roll Call
1 members (Lard Lad), 26 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:33 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:30 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/24/24 09:11 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
Re: Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin
#485529 08/23/06 11:22 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Not to mention... Thanksgiving with Aunt Agatha!

#485530 08/24/06 09:54 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I can't wait!

And yes, that's Talia and her and Bruce's son that has been in and out of continuity for twenty years.

I think this is the [insert whichever brother it is} Kubert art I've seen possibly ever too!

Matt, I highly reccomend both books right now. think we're on the verge of a GREAT era for the main two bat-books.

#485531 08/26/06 05:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
"Man-bats. Ninja Man-bats. Alarming twist." lol

#485532 10/13/06 12:05 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Oct issues:

Detective - I'm loving these stories so far! Reformed Penguin was great, and seeing reformed Riddler again was cool too. I hope both keep a continued presence in the stories. Dini's Bruce was great to see too. The wise-cracking Batman of this new era is fun. Lois Lane was a plus, and the story itself was well-written and fun. If that Magician stays around, he could end up being a very likable character. I already like his motivation for staying.

What has me most excited is next month's solicit with Dr. Phosphorus. I like the lesser known Bat-villains the most. I don't see how Rupert Thorne could be around though, considering he was killed by Hugo Strange in the 70's.

Batman - Also a great read. I already hate Batman's kid though, and hope we don't see *too* much of him. Still, Morrison did a great job as usual, and the dramatic show of Damien holding the Spook's severed head was done very well. Batman is great here again, and the scene when he yells at Damien was very intense and welcome.

The Spook is another villain I really like, although this version had pretty much run out of mystery, so I don't mind his death. I wouldn't mind seeing Morrison introducing a second Spook with even more mystery that could potentially be a big threat to Batman.

All and all, I'm quite satifisied with the (2) main Bat titles still and can't wait for more!

#485533 10/28/06 03:09 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Previews of next week's Batman and Detective are up at Newsarama.

#485534 10/29/06 11:48 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Still looking quite good.

Bats makes a pretty fanciful leap of logic in the Detective issue, but hey, these are done-in-ones and you've got to keep moving.

These runs are the best Bat-stuff I've seen in quite a while.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#485535 02/07/07 10:27 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I really dug the latest issue of Detective. I'm loving the current take on the Riddler!

#485536 08/05/07 05:03 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Out of current continuity - there are three Batman Black & White volumes, anthologies of Batman stories with black and white artwork. I just finished volume 3. It's a good mix of styles and moods, with work by many well known creators (Bruce Timm, Joe Kubert, Howard Chakin, Archie Goodwin, Matt Wagner, Alex Toth, etc etc). There are also several pages of sketch galleries and cover illustrations.

The stories are pretty much what I'd call classic Batman, not the psycho-freaky version we had before OYL.

Best of the bunch was a real surprise: a very funny Batman-Joker story by Neil Gaiman, "It's a Black and White World", in which Batman and the Joker are characters on a comic book "set" (like a movie set), except they have to wait offstage while a prior panel is being drawn. So they get into conversation....

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#485537 08/05/07 07:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I really dug the latest issue of Detective. I'm loving the current take on the Riddler!
Me too. Riddler has always been my favorite. I mean the Joker is fun but for some reason I just dug the Riddler. I don't pay to much attention to the Bat-verse but with Morrison/Kubert and the Riddler in Countdown it made me check it out. Love the new status quo on the Riddler. I want a mini.

#485538 08/05/07 08:38 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
I read the Zantana Trust arc (it was just two issues), and I loved it. I loved Batman's thoughts on it and Z's sincerity and the way they teamed up. The whole thing... so neat. And made me wonder what it would have been like if they had been closer...

#485539 08/06/07 09:54 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Also loved the latest Zatanna arc in Detective. Dini really nailed it with character moments between Zatanna and Bruce. It was very well done. I especially love that he didn’t ignore any parts of past continuity, even if I loathe some of them, and progressed the characters to a different place by the end of the story. The reveal of the villain was actually pretty awesome. It made total sense but I didn’t actually see it coming. Its more and more rare to actually find a good story with that villain, so this was surprisingly nice.

Morrison’s Batman continues to entertain me highly. His ‘three evil Batmen’ arc is kewl in such a Morrison way, because its different than what we’re used to, which is sorely needed in a main Batman title. Damien isn’t exactly a fave of mine, but I’m looking forward to Ra’s Al Ghul, who along with Two-Face, remains what I would say is Batman’s greatest villain.

Jorg, also love the new status quo of the Riddler. Just like the Penquin has been given a very cool status quo (for some time now, at least a few years), the Riddler needed something like this.

#485540 08/27/07 10:36 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Well, two issues into Morrison's latest storyline in Batman, and I've got to say: this is pretty awesome!

I think this might be his best storyline yet for Bats. I really enjoy the International Club of Heroes, and I like the dynamic that he gives each hero. Its especially awesome to see the then/now appearances of each one, and how they've changed.

Obviously, there's a riff here on 'And then there were none', which is an excellent novel itself. So, following that line of thinking, the killer will end up being one of the heroes that has already died. My guess right now? Wingman. But that might be too easy. However, he's so 'grim n' gritty anti-Batman' that it hurts, so that might make him the surprise killer. However, the Australian hero could work too, and he's certainly had a degree of opportunity in the story so far. Then there's the possiblity that its the original Knight, but I'm not too sure about that.

Overall, I find it brillant so far. This is the type of Batman story I've wanted to read from Morrison. If anyone is not reading, be sure to check it out!

Also, Dini's Detective remains consistently good, with each issue having at least one element in the story that is surprisingly pleasing.

As DC's line of titles continues to crumble into sub-par story-telling, the main Batman titles continue to produce high quality entertainment.

#485541 06/09/08 06:34 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
So I may be the only one reading Batman and posting to this thread, but hell, as top poster, thread decorum no longer applies to me! laugh

Because, frankly, Batman by Morrison and Tony Daniels is just too awesome not to talk about. Though I like the Kubert boys, Tony Daniels has arrived to at long last give me an artist whose art I find as equally appealing as I do Morrison's writing (particularly DC writing). And thus, begins Batman: RIP, with art that is nothing short of phenominal: great looking protagnists, a sense of action and dynamics, awesome looking villains, a serious blast of tension and constant mis en scene giving hints to the larger story throughout.

Morrison's writing is tight and fun, and here more than anything else he's done lately, I can easily read into it and come with a theory about what he's trying to accomplish with Batman: RIP, and really, what's he's been setting up his entire run. The long-standing question about whether Batman is 'not all there' in the head, emotionally stunted and seriously a headcase is about to be put to rest. And thank God, because this 1986-2006 widespread notion that this may be so is beyond tiresome and should be laid to rest. The idea that Batman, the most important DC hero of them all (tied with Superman) is possibly insane is just stupid. And though we had some great stories about it, and then some so-so ones, and then some really bad ones, and then some more ones that were so tiring I couldn't bother to judge them, its long time to lay that tired old bit to rest. And so Morrison is doing that--by first making it as outrageous as possible.

And in the character of Jezebal Jet, we see that, as she gives Bruce a pretty good analysis that I've seen 1,000+ fans, editors and columnists do and [sarcasm] they were so witty about it[/sarcasm]. Morrison has made Jet pretty unremarkable thus far, not really bothering to give us more than standard characterization and I can't help but feel that's on purpose (indeed, all she really has going for her is a very appealing visual). I almost thought she'd turn out to be an assassin for the Black Glove, but that would be too repetitive (Bruce can only date so many femme fatales). Rather he gives us a pretty realistic, smart woman who voices all the annoying psuedo-psychological analysis that have become standard messaage board Bat-bore. And its so convincing that it seems likely Morrison will ultimately refute it all with Bruce's eventual victory in this story, and I can't wait.

Meanwhile, the Black Glove itself is a very interesting tale, connecting to both the above story I mentioned almost a year ago (the Club of Heroes story) and the ongoing notion that there has been a nemesis battling Batman unseen in the shadows for a number of years (since the pre-Silver Age 1950's to be precise). And its been wonderfully done so far.

Plus, the Club of Villains, the assembled international sect of villains helping the Black Glove look nothing less than awesome thus far. We'll see how they are executed.

Alfred shines, being the person to always trust in Bruce; as does Commissioner Gordon, who remains the compass of morality in this series. Robin has a pretty subtle and quiet character-arc but continues to guest-star while not being an outright partner in the title (which is generally how I like it 80% of the time).

The idea of bringing this 'psychologically schizophrenic Batman' theory to the utter brink of being a real possibility is great to see done so blatantly over the top. The subplot where the investigator encourages Gordon to believe that the Wayne's were abusive and drug-addicts, including Martha Wayne as a heroin addict and that Thomas Wayne may have faked his death and killed her, is so outrageous I'd call it pure genius. In fact, I will call it pure genius, since I came up with it a few years ago here on Legion World laugh Grant is doing exactly what I intended and what Giffen and Ennis excel at—poking fun at the outrageousness that comics sometimes produce and which are a by-product of these ‘Batman is crazy’ notions during the last 20 years. Honestly, if Bats wasn’t Bats (re: one of comics two true icons), I can easily see how this could have been a story in 1994. Even the current DC seems pretty susceptible to doing something like that.

Obviously I’m a Morrison fan, and I make no apologies for that. But this—this is pure genius and like All-Star Superman, heads and shoulders above what else is being produced these days.

#485542 06/10/08 06:36 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Cobie, that's a well written post there. I'm with you in wanting the Bruce is schizo story put to rest. Grant brings it to the forefront with Jet, and it's all so logical and obvious when she states it. I can almost see it being true, tho' Grant uses it to build a better Batman.

The character assassination of the Waynes seems so fake to me. I can't imagine Gordon ever giving it credence. It's as much a ploy by Batman's for as Jet's psychological analysis; I'm almost sure they are part of the Black Glove's master plan.

I'm looking forward to the story, but I'm a little concerned with all the tie-ins. I don't doubt Morrisson will deliver. It's just others picking up on his story that worry me.

Just spouting off.
#485543 06/10/08 10:45 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Yeah, I share your same concerns Ceej. I definately worry about the tie-ins and how they can really put a few 'meh' chapters into an otherwise great story.

Between Morrison on Batman, Dixon on Robin & Outsiders and a fairly consistent Detective Comics, I'm pretty happy with the Bat-books these days.

#485544 06/10/08 11:30 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
CBR has a story about Frank Tieri doing the Outsiders tie in. But he sounds like he's got some good ideas in the interview.

Just spouting off.
#485545 06/10/08 12:36 PM
Active
Active
ahh i didn't get the "over-the-top therefore acceptable" aspect of it. i read the first issues of batman RIP and it was SO ridiculous that i balked. he brought some lady he doesn't know into the bat cave? and i'm sorry but her name is JEZEBEL? no one's name is jezebel!

btwm were they insinuating that photo was an orgy?!! i wasn't sure what they were trying to say was IN the horrifying photo featuring the waynes and alfred. but i threw up in sheer horror.

and... yeah it makes no sense that batman is schizo. at all. none. he rolls with telepaths ALL THE TIME, that is DUMB. unless the next issue has him going "oh wait, no, that's stupid" and punching that lady in the face, this ruse is too insane.

#485546 06/10/08 02:33 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
VV, now that you mention it, I do think he was insinuating an orgy/heroine use scene with the Waynes, Alfred, John Mayhew and others, to show just how ridiculous and over the top it was. Ultimately I think its a criticism of these types of stories with the intent of ending the 'schizo Batman' theory once and for all at story's end.

What's especially intriguing to me is that while I put the 'schizo Batman' notion to date back to the mid-80's, and some might even say the 70's, Morrison is going all the way back to before the Silver Age as the start of it.

#485547 06/11/08 02:58 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It's an interesting, campy twist to the Batman story. There have been so many Batman tales told, I was glad to see Morrison come up with something unexpected (to me, at least - even though Cobie thought of it first). It's outrageous, but not without precedent in real life - icons of society who turn out to have a terrible secret life. Also, I'm relieved, perhaps prematurely, that Batman isn't going to be killed physically; it appears that he's just going to have to re-evaluate his reason for existence, and go in a new direction.

The Jezebel thing, though - has Bruce been hypnotized to trust her? Maybe Silver St. Cloud or Selina can arrive on the scene to save him and show Jezebel to be a traitor. Besides, she looked like trash in those tight jeans and high spike heels. (I know, it's a guy thing....)

Do you think Bruce and Alfred can really say "bat computer" with a straight face?

The full page panels were quite dramatic.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#485548 06/11/08 07:32 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Do you think Bruce and Alfred can really say "bat computer" with a straight face?
I found it really funny for some reason when Bruce mentioned the 'hotline' right when he started to faint.

Is this the first mention of the hotline in like 20 years? I think I actually giggled.

#485549 06/11/08 12:26 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
...Dixon on Robin & Outsiders... I'm pretty happy with the Bat-books these days.
Hmm well it was fun while it lasted.

Just spouting off.
#485550 08/14/08 07:16 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Okay so the latest issue of RIP came out this week, and the story is starting to come together.

So far the tie-ins with the other Bat books have been well done. They aren't really tie-ins in the usual sense. Dini manages to mention Batman and the Black Glove somewhere in his stories, while Nightwing has a reference to Bruce's behaviour and his change in duds. These minimal affectations to the stories allow teh books to keep their own feel. It's very much like they aren't tie-ins at all.

Just spouting off.
#485551 08/14/08 08:25 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I'm totally with you CJ. RIP is coming together and I'm actually loving it so far. The issue with Bruce with Honor Jackson was for sure a "Morrison Tangent" story, but I thought it was pretty damn excellent. I just love what Morrison is doing here.

Also, I agree about the other series tie-ing in only slightly, which works to those title's advantages:

(1) Detective - while usually good lately, is spot-on good with Hush here. Hush has been hit/miss with me and I like how he's played here, and actually like the revelation of his past 'mentor'. I also like the notion of a Catwoman/Zatana/Bruce love triangle.

(2) Robin - wow, Fabien, WELCOME!!! I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to actually be so into his two issues! I hope he's staying for a longer time (I barely ever check comics news anymore). But he really picked right up where Dixon left off (yay, continuity as it should be!) and has a great two-parter with some really strong insight and character focus on Tim. Tim's revelation to himself at the end, though certainly not meant to be a surprise is both heroic and slightly tragic, in how you can see he could one day be a lot more like Bruce than we previously thought

(3) Nightwing - I've got to be honest, I've pretty much hated every single Nightwing issue up until RIP. I kept trying to give it a chance, but Devin really did a number on it, Bruce Jones didn't help, Wolfman couldn't really save it, and Tomasi's first couple issues weren't stellar. But something clicked here. The use of Two-Face, the new interesting DA character who is different than the 1,000 past females to show up in Nightwing, the art. I'm liking it.

#485552 08/18/08 08:21 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
DC should learn from RIP and the Sinestro Corps events. We don't want large all encompassing cross overs, but the occasional story line bleeding into related titles is acceptable

I'm considering the Superman crossover this fall. And I haven't bought an issue of Big Blue... ever!

Just spouting off.
#485553 08/18/08 08:44 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I still have no clue what is happening, but I am loving every minute. I haven't picked up Nightwing, but Detective and Robin have been better then average.

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,927
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Legolas
Legolas
on the lam!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star