Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 05:03 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 03/27/24 04:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/27/24 10:23 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:17 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Share more completely random things!
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 03/27/24 07:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Re: IMAGE explosions
MLLASH #908174 09/09/16 12:10 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So I have to say I thought Velvet ended kind of abruptly! Maybe I missed some communication but I was under the impression it was supposed to go a little longer. While it was still great, this kind of took the impact of the ending away from me a bit.

In the back Ed explains that the delays have been his fault, and not Epting or Bettie's. He explains his tv work is to blame. Now, I don't want to read too much into it, but after collecting Bru's comics for over 15 years, I feel I can infer a few things, and I don't like the idea of his writing suffering from tv stuff. I've seen that happen too with Matt Fraction in recent years and it's always been an issue that's haunted comic book indie creators, especially writers. I hope Ed gets it together.

We were promised more Velvet and I hope we see it sooner rather than later. I'll be getting whatever either Ed or Epting does in the future regardless.

MLLASH #908175 09/09/16 12:23 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Velvet's over???

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!! scream mad

Well, I'll give at least a fair chance to whatever Epting does next. Brubaker, I'm not so sure about now.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
MLLASH #908216 09/09/16 05:42 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
There's no real clear admittance that the series ended earlier than expected, but I can't help but infer that's the case. I'm glad your surprise equals mine! (Well, not glad, since we both agree it sucks, but I was wondering if I had somehow missed something).

The story is still terrific. Epting's art with Bettie's colors are really spectacular and I hope to see them continue to team up.

Brubaker is one of my favorite authors, but I have to also add that his latest with Phillips, Kill or Be Killed, probably has the weakest opening issue of any of his series I've ever read. Maybe its just not to my tastes...but c'mon, y'know?

MLLASH #908233 09/09/16 06:55 AM
Writers, even the best ones, tend to have peaks and valleys in their careers.

I wouldn't be surprised, Cobie, if the first example that came to your mind was the same one that came to my mind: Peter Allen David.

So, if the above analogy holds, and Brubaker is going through a "Genis Mar-Vell/Post-Pantheon Hulk" phase, then he'll most likely bounce back with a "Young Justice" phase. smile

(Though I must admit the thought of Bru writing an all-ages book is quite bizarre.) lol

MLLASH #908236 09/09/16 07:03 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
"Young Punisher & His Amazing Friends"

MLLASH #908238 09/09/16 07:20 AM
Cobie, LOL lol

"Follow the adventures of plucky Franklin Castle, whimsical Wade Wilson, and that fun-sized feral ball of fluff, Li'l Logan!"

Kinda funny IMO that we're talking about PAD in an Image thread, given his feuding with most of the Image founders. That said, I recently started re-reading PAD's 1994 book collecting the early years of his CBG column, and I re-read his very first essay in which he critiqued Image. Objectively, I found his arguments reasonable and sound. Methinks the Image founders were even more thin-skinned than our pal PAD, and didst protest overmuch.

MLLASH #908245 09/09/16 07:47 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
To keep the digression going, I've read numerous times that Erik Larsen has regretted his involvement, saying that in his younger days, he definitely had thin skin and was quick to fire first and ask questions later. Still, all these years later, he still seems to be a bit like that.

One Founder who PAD always said was a voice of reason among the Image Founders was Jim Valentino, which is no real surprise since he was an industry veteran and an indie guy. Alan Moore always said he was "the honorable one" among the Image people he dealt with too.

I used to read But I Digress in those years when it came out. I started reading CBG when I was 11 and always read PAD's column on the last page. When I started reading it, it was right during this time. At the time, I was totally Team-PAD and anti-Image, mainly because my Dad really disliked the Image style. (Though I did convince him to let me keep Shadowhawk and Spawn as part of our pull list). My favorite PAD column during this time is when things became so heated, PAD asked Walt Simonson to pitch in, and for one week rather than a column, it was a splash page of the Hulk punching Spawn through a brick wall. It was the then equivalent of a 'mic drop'.

(Walt, still fuming from comments about Weezie by Liefeld and Larsen, was only too happy to oblige).

MLLASH #908770 09/13/16 10:44 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Velvet's over?! frown Getting my comics this week, thanks for the warning.

Probably better to end it, though, with the possibility of a new storyline later, than to have some other team take it over, which the big two would probably have done if they'd been publishing/owning the book.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
MLLASH #908772 09/13/16 11:42 PM
Good point well taken, FC.

And Brubaker said pretty much the same thing as you when asked recently whether he'd consider ever working for the Big Two again.

Lard Lad #908814 09/14/16 05:22 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Oh, and I forgot to mention: The Goddamned is the new comic by Jason Aaron and R.M. Guerra, your beloved creative team from Scalped! So far, so awesome!

This book's gone into Archie Horrorverse-late territory... The newest issue I have in my preorders was #5, and that was solicited in the January PREVIEWS... cry

MLLASH #918554 12/16/16 03:44 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
FINALLY received and read #5... only to find an announcement on the inside back cover:

THE GODDAMNED
Next Story Arc
The Virgin Brides
Coming in 2017

?!?!?! scream sob mad

MLLASH #920563 01/13/17 05:48 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yeah, I ended up dropping it and have opted to collect it in trades. The problem with these delays is I just can't remember wtf is going on, and I don't feel like working that hard.

So I'll probably pick up reading this in like 2020 or 2023 or something. grin

MLLASH #920565 01/13/17 05:49 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
lol

MLLASH #921041 01/23/17 08:06 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey did you guys hear about how Liefeld is bringing back Youngblood and Brigade and all those other guys back... again... again?

MLLASH #921047 01/23/17 10:45 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
How many of those rumours were false starts? I seem to have heard about relaunches so often.

I finally read the first Saga TPB from the library. I jumped on the title a bit later, and then let it slip. But it's worth reading in enjoyable TPB sized chunks.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
MLLASH #921082 01/24/17 10:10 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
As counter-intuitive as it sounds, I just don't consider Liefeld stuff to be "Image" anymore. Image to me is Saga, Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Stray Bullets, etc, etc.

When it's Liefeld's characters by Warren Ellis and Tola Lotay, then sure, that sounds like Image. When its him actually writing or drawing it? Ew. Not Image and a hard pass.

PS - Thoth, glad you're back on Saga. It just continues to get better and better IMO. It's been such a strong series for a few years now and I find myself just relishing the reading experience whenever it comes out.

MLLASH #921085 01/24/17 12:50 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I wish he'd take his Deadpool $$$$ and disappear... tongue

MLLASH #922792 03/01/17 07:43 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Old Guard #1 by Greg Rucka, art by Leandro Fernandez, Daniela Miwa on colours

Greg Rucka has a story: it's about a tough woman soldier. Most of what I've read by him, going back to Queen & Country, features this same iconic character. It's a type I enjoy, so I keep reading.

In The Old Guard, we meet a woman named Andy who, it appears, has either reincarnated many times, always dying in battle, or is immortal and taking on a new persona after each apparent death. She's sick of life at this point, killing time with casual sex, but is still involved in the soldier game (perhaps she has no choice?) as head of a small group of specialized mercenaries who are also death-proof.

In this first issue, after meeting the team, we follow them on a mission to rescue girl hostages in North Africa. It doesn't go well. In fact, somebody set them up to record their mission and their near-instant recovery from fatal injury.

A second story tells the tale of Sargeant Nile Freeman, a young female Marine in Afghanistan, searching with her team for a terrorist. That doesn't go well either - and Nile is killed. Or is she? No spoilers!

Although there's no shortage of male combatants, the story focuses on the two women, Andy and Nile. The feminine is accented by the vibrant colour scheme: pinks, peach, purple, definitely not your usual war story palette.

Andy is no Forever Carlyle, Rucka's lead character in the Lazarus series. She's been around a lot longer, she's much wiser to the ways of other people and she has no apparent allegiance to anyone other than herself. I suspect that Andy is short for Andromache, from the Trojan War, or some other legendary female, but that remains to be revealed.

It's a compelling story for the immortality/reincarnation aspect as well as what I expect will be a hunt by unknown interests (government? private?) to trap the team into revealing their secret. The Nile and Andy stories will surely converge at some point as well.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
MLLASH #933089 07/06/17 02:14 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
My Image pull list is waaaaaay down as there are just so many new series that feel repetitive and like creators trying to speak in the same voice. But the really brilliant Image series continues to be the best stuff in comic books like Saga and Walking Dead. Also among them is the ridiculously amazing Stray Bullets, which is utterly fantastic each and every month. When Stray Bullets started back up, I was super pumped and I totally loved it, but I was too afraid to imagine that two years later it would still be going strong and I would love it more than ever.

Hands down one of the best series ever. It's hard to classify it as a crime comic, though that's clearly the most appropriate genre, since its so chalk full of humor and sheer insanity. I recommend it to anyone who just loves great art.

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 07/06/17 02:15 PM.
MLLASH #933223 07/07/17 07:50 PM
Active
Active
My Image list is still pretty large, although it's static instead of growing as I pass on more and more new books. I remember liking the Stray Bullets self-published run, although it often left me in an uncomfortable headspace. It's a book that I keep telling myself to pick back up, but haven't yet. Lately the books that have been making it through my filter have been fun books like Rock Candy Mountain and Shirtless Bear Fighter. I think I've overdosed on slow, serious dark books, although I'm still following the really good ones I have been. I'm just not adding to the pile at the moment.

MLLASH #933229 07/08/17 12:18 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Did anyone hear about what happened with that Howard Chaykin Image book?

MLLASH #933230 07/08/17 01:12 AM
Active
Active
Yeah. I'm pretty over Chaykin at this point. He basically has one lead character. They all even LOOK like American Flagg. And he's been playing the tired trans panic thing since at least Black Kiss. And the straight CIA white male author telling minorities to cowboy up has been the theme of pretty much everything he's ever done. I'm less outraged than tired at this point.

MLLASH #934493 07/23/17 02:25 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
So I just completed a backlog read of floppies that spanned from October 2016 to March 2017. Obviously, there were some Image books among them:

Chew: The read pretty much began with the last 2 issues of this long-running series. Overall, a satisfying conclusion. 59 was the proper ending and 60 an epilogue. 59 brought a lot of tragedy to Tony Chu's life and to the earth in general as he had to follow thru with a loved one's sacrifice and make a larger one that would also cost him someone dear. Flashforward many years later for the epilogue, which explains the unanswered questions at the series' heart without dumping exposition. You get toward the end and kinda go, "oh...riiight." It has kind of a sudden, oddball ending that is in line with those of some crazy cult films many of us treasure. Pretty much perfect for a wild book like this one.

Overall, Chew is a pretty satisfying book, though it suffers somewhat from significant padding at times to get to that issue count. If one were to do a "director's cut", the book would benefit from cutting some of the "weird food powers" issues and storylines that get a little repetitive. The main course is awesome and unique but sometimes gets buried by all of the finger food.

Autumnlands: I thought this Kurt Busiek series about a world of magic and anthropomorphic animals really found itself in this latest arc that focused on a quest and the main characters. I'm a fool for a good quest story, this one brought in living semi-nude female statues! Beautiful art from Ben Dewey and a welcome non-Astro City fully-realized world from Busiek make for a great under-the-radar book. I sure hope a third arc is imminent before long, though. Haven't seen anything solicited since that arc.

Invincible: This long-running Robert Kirkman superhero books is entering its endgame, and it shows, as a major character falls and the Viltumite storyline that has been the spine of the book from the beginning enters its final phase. I've enjoyed this book ever since I discovered it, and I'm both savoring and dreading its last days.

Manifest Destiny: Another awesome under-the-radar series that has awesome detailed artwork and a great horror take on the Lewis & Clark expedition. After probably the best arc of the series, "Sasquatch", I'm two issues-deep in the next arc. The threat appears to be a mystical fog that manifests the fears of the crew as they camp out for the winter. Or all the threats they've faced to this point appear to be coming back for revenge. I think it's the fog, but it's too early to tell. But seriously, Manifest destiny is just CRAZY good and deserves everyone's rapt attention!

Paper Girls This Brian K. Vaughn series that is not Saga returns for a third arc. The girls are seemingly in a pre-historic era this time, but I'm betting it's likely post-apocolyptic instead. The first 2 issues have been pretty slow, unfortunately. If the rest of the arc doesn't bring it home, it may be back in cancellation territory for me. I mean, the cliffhanger in 12 is one of the girls getting her first period? shrug

Saga has what may be its most uneventful arc from 37-42. It seems heavily about moving characters around and developing them, even as it begins with possibly the most shocking death (for more than one reason) in the series. It ends with what I feel is an over-dramatic cliffhanger emphasized with a series of black pages to end the arc. It's still Saga, so it's still better than almost every comic out there--but it's not the dynamic arc that others have been.

Sex Criminals returned with a new arc that I was only able to read the first part of before my self-imposed reading cut-off. I LOVED this issue, though, as it featured a welcome return of Jon and Suzie as the focus of an entire issue. They reconnect as they try to come up with some goals for their lives and go about it quite sexily! An excellent return that reminds me why I fell in love with this series in the first place.

Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses really heats up the arc about the gang laying low at Beth's mom's place really comes to a head. So gripping and thoroughly entertaining in its storytelling! The only time this story comes to a dead halt is in the (thankfully) infrequent Amy Racecar one-offs. These are fantasy stories that tangentially inform the main story, but essentially tell barely different versions of the same fantasy again and again. I'm almost tempted to not buy those issues when I can figure out which they are because they are so extraneous and repetitive. I don't know if I could bring myself to do that, though. The main story is ALWAYS a page-turner, though, and one of the very best things going.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
MLLASH #934503 07/23/17 04:41 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Just looking at the last post makes me realise just how many top books they put out. I'm reading Sex Criminals and Stray Bullets. Read Chew. I've picked up a lot of Invincible and have dipped into Saga. It looks as though I'll be giving Manifest Destiny a shot too, based on the above.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
MLLASH #934610 07/25/17 09:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
You guys should give Moonstruck a look it's pretty great.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,269
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
String
String
The Bright, Sunny South
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star