Roll Call
0 members (), 9 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/28/24 09:35 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:56 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:28 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Re: IMAGE explosions
#488990 12/11/12 10:21 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Jeepers H Christmas!

Fatale is brilliant! Like top 5 in all of comics brilliant! My highest recommendation and I'd add it only gets better as it goes. I read them monthly and love it that way.

#488991 12/12/12 05:58 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
GLORY #23

Meh. This was okay, but definitely not my kind of thing.

CalamityKing CalamityKing

HELL YEAH #1

This started out kind of blah, but got more interesting as it went along. Definitely has potential.

CalamityKing CalamityKing CalamityKing CalamityKing

#488992 12/12/12 06:25 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
HOAX HUNTERS #1

So, apparently this is actually the second issue, since there's an #0? Anyway, it was pretty groovy. A reality TV show debunking various cryptids/weird stuff being used as a cover for a team whose mission it is to cover them up. Definitely cool.

CalamityKing CalamityKing CalamityKing CalamityKing CalamityKing

#488993 12/12/12 07:59 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Wow, sounds like I should have given Hoax Hunters a shot. I picked up the #0 issue and thought it was okay but I've heard it's not really representative of the series.

Hell Yeah is pretty freaking awesome. It's gotten continually more so as its gone on, and has introduced a few characters I think you'd like (you = Eryk). It has a very viceral, strait forward was to the story telling where it doesn't hide the fact that its appealing to action lovers too; that's not a bad thing and in fact I like it. But the overall focus is on character and sci-fi elements with a quasi-superhero bent.

#488994 12/12/12 08:21 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
FATALE #1

I liked this quite a bit as well, though I suspect it would probably read better in trade than by the single issue. The switch between two time periods was a bit jarring, but interesting.

Another 4 collapsing pillars!

I read it monthly but I think it would be much better as a trade ... I liked the first story arc better than the second and was a bit surprised that they did a second story arc. I think the 2nd story needs to go somewhere big soon. The first story arc did up the ante as it went along, It intends to be a bit of a mystery for the readers.

#488995 12/12/12 04:37 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
GRIM LEAPER #1

Given that it's written by Kurt Weibe, the brains behind the groovy Peter Panzerfaust, I had high expectations for this one, and it pretty much met them! Love the dark romantic comedy genre, and this is a solid example! Bonus points for the solid "Love Stories to Die for!" back-up feature!

I would probably really give it four and half collapsing pillars, but the pillars don't do halves!

#488996 12/12/12 05:05 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS #1

This had a lot going for it, with some fun alt-history, wacky science stuff, but somehow it just didn't quite work for me. It's like Atomic Robo, minus all the stuff that makes AR fun, charming, and exciting.

CalamityKing CalamityKing CalamityKing

#488997 12/12/12 05:59 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks Edes ... I was wondering about Manhattan Projects ... they've got some great covers but ... I never submitted to actually buying one.

Did anyone follow Secret? I was curious about it but/because the 1st issue was a torture scene ... wondered if it ever went anywhere in the subsequent issues?

#488998 12/12/12 06:35 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Secret #1 is in my queue.

I think the real problem for MPs may be the lack of a real POV character, at least in the first issue.

#488999 12/13/12 12:21 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS #1

This had a lot going for it, with some fun alt-history, wacky science stuff, but somehow it just didn't quite work for me. It's like Atomic Robo, minus all the stuff that makes AR fun, charming, and exciting.

CalamityKing CalamityKing CalamityKing
I've actually enjoyed this one quite a bit, and moreso as the series has gone on. (Though I did enjoy #1 more than you did I think). The later issues are pretty awesome with Werner Von Braun (not in a way you've ever seen before) and then a huge revelation about Einstein.

You do get a "kind of" POV character as the series goes on, or at least one fictional character who is a bit of an everyman. Or at least as much as a super-genius could be an everyman.

For me, it gets a definite huge recommendation.

Secret #1 is in my queue.

I think the real problem for MPs may be the lack of a real POV character, at least in the first issue.
I'll await your thoughts on this. I thought it was very good though I did not like it as much as MP. There have only been 2 issues to date as I think the artist has caused a bit of a delay which is too bad.

It definitely has the Jonathan Hickman "this is about to get batshit crazy" sense to it though so I'm curious as to when that will happen.

#489000 12/13/12 12:25 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
On a related note ... I am all about Bedlam!

I forgot to put it in my top five favorite comic books. Well it is not really one of my favorites but as far as being well done ... it is one of the best.

SupermanX SupermanX SupermanX SupermanX SupermanX

It is a really interesting book, I have no idea which way it is going to go ... I think it's hard to do something so bizarre.

#489001 12/13/12 12:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
This review mirrors my sentiment except what they call the "bad" is the best part of the book.

It dosn't give anything away, it dosn't even give away much of the premise. The story is a lot more complicated with hints at conspiracies.

http://www.comicvine.com/bedlam-/37-364098/staff-review/

#489002 12/18/12 03:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I loved I Love Trouble #1! Felicia is a small-time crook and con-artist who discovers she has a superpower when a plane she's in crashes - and she thinks herself out of it.

She quickly gets used to her new power and uses it to steal stuff, of course. When she goes to pay back some loan shark, with interest, he decides she should work for him - and holds her honey to ensure cooperation.

A great read, lots of action, beautiful look to the art. Felicia is like the best of Catwoman without Batman - devious, smart, funny and tough.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#489003 12/18/12 07:48 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^ Def glad you reviewed that one, FC! I would have probably passed on it.

Meanwhile, I thought Storm Dogs #1 was a solid debut, introducing a world of characters and concepts while maintaining a strong mystery / suspense vibe. My one complaint is there wasn't a lot of "pop" in the opening, though that may be due to some of the artistic choices. The art overall is quite beautiful, specifically the landscapes, but the character designs are very "soft" which doesn't make any one character jump out at me automatically.

That being said, its definitely a tightly written comic that lays the ground work for some major things to come. Writer David Hine is superb--especially these last 3-4 years--so I have faith this is going to get better.

Solid sci-fi series that I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

MLLASH #761324 01/09/13 01:53 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Since the board was down, I actually caught up on a few series:

Great Pacific was actually really fantastic! FC recommended it and I second that recommendation. It has a *very* strong intro to the lead character and the world he lives in. I admit I was worried it would be a little boring but it actually was quite the opposite--chalk full of tension! It also is not spoon-feeding the reader any 'save the world' stuff which is another thing that was worrisome; instead its focusing on a strong story first and foremost.

Blackacre was another one I tried that I really liked! Yet another in a string of terrific sci-fi series by Image continuing this Golden Age of indy sci-fi comics. (PS: check out Prophet, Hypernaturals and Planetoid if you like sci-fi). The opening page caught me off guard and then hooked me right in. I won't spoil it other than saying I was like "what the hell is this?" and then three pages later I thought "hey, this is pretty brillaint!".

I added both to my pull list.

MLLASH #761410 01/10/13 04:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I just started reading Planetoid via Comixology. Great series! Guy crashes on planetoid run by evil bots who enslave sentients, guy survives, with help, and teaches sentients to work together for survival.

Blackacre is on my list to check out.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
MLLASH #762656 01/28/13 11:30 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I read the first two issues of Change, which really sounded promising, but I have no idea what's going on. And not in a good way, in a this is boring and confusing way. I'm wondering if it was just my state of mind at the time. Anyone else reading this?

One book I've heard about which is also a WTF? sort of story is Wild Children - but that one sounds more interesting, or at least more trippy.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
MLLASH #762662 01/28/13 12:27 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Wild Children and Change are by the same up and coming writer, Ales Kot. I picked up Wild Children on a whim last summer and enjoyed of it. It was really abstract and trippy but in a way that built tension and felt fresh and interesting. It was definitely very Morrison Doom Patrol-ish / League of Extraodinary Gentleman-ish when things start going off the rails. With an over-sized oneshot, it worked for me. It also had fantastic Riley Rossmo art (who did Green Wake, Debris, Bedlam).

With Change, I’ve only read the first issue and I can see its picked up on the off-the-wall style of story-telling. I’m not sure if that will work for four strait issues though. By your post, it sounds like #2 only heightened this sensibility rather than providing a little clarity to the narrative. I’m all for loose structure (as I know you are, FC) but I at least need to know what’s going on.

I’m curious as to what I’ll think of #2. With Wild Children there was a definite “event” happening, with armed teenagers bursting into a school to kick things off. With Change, I still had no clue what was happening by the end of #1. That needs to change quickly.

MLLASH #763442 02/08/13 05:06 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm really enjoying Nowhere Men, which has proven to be a very smart and character driven mini. Great, right writing with some beautiful art that includes strong design work.

Also, love those issue end extra narrative pages (a la TMK Legion).

MLLASH #763460 02/08/13 08:05 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
^ Cobie, I recently saw on FB via my newsfeed that you told your CBS to drop Storm Dogs. After seeing your positive review for issue one, I was a little surprised. Any particular reason you dropped it?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
MLLASH #763606 02/11/13 09:20 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
It was one I thought about a lot. Like you, I've become a lot stricter on the "if I'm not loving it, why would I buy it?" mentality. While I liked the first issue, and I'm a huge fan of David Hine, I had some problems with the first issue; it felt like that was heightened with the second. I guess it was an overriding slow / boring feel to it that I couldn't shake. A lot of that is the art / colors, which were very soft and "calm"; other than that I can put my finger on it.

But long story short, by the end of #2 I found myself not really paying attention anymore and that's always an immediate concern with continuing. There are too many other series to spend my $$ on so cut it.

I am a big fan of Hine though, particularly Bulletproof Coffin and his Batman as Spirit work in recent years. I'll probably always sample whatever he's doing.

MLLASH #763613 02/11/13 12:14 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah. I'm kinda getting that feeling with Great Pacific as well. Nothing's really clicked with me, there. I've read the first two and have the third. I'll probably keep the fourth in my hold until after I've read three.

Storm Dogs, I like a little better, but I'm on the fence about it. The neat idea of hookers who rent out their body to other minds introduced in issue two may have bought that one some more time.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
MLLASH #763616 02/11/13 01:24 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm also a little tentative on Great Pacific. I started really great but has gotten a little off the wall for me with the giant squid. Mainly because I was expecting the same social commentary / smart dialogue from #1 in the next two issuss and instead got a ton of action. That might not be so bad but with the setting relatively bland, I need that smart thinking man's approach to keep me engaged.

For me, GP stays for now but it needs to pick up #4. I believe it's a 5 issue mini? If so, I'll probably finish it. If it was an ongoing of probably cut it.

I do love the large selection of sci fi Image is providing. I'm loving Planetoid and Blackacre.

MLLASH #763620 02/11/13 02:40 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks guys, I was contemplating trying Great Pacific as a new read but it didn't seem my style ... unless it was amazingly good ... so I grabbed Glory instead which I am already a fan of.

From my flipping GP seemed a bit of a dither.

Lard Lad #763621 02/11/13 02:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Paladin

Storm Dogs, I like a little better, but I'm on the fence about it. The neat idea of hookers who rent out their body to other minds introduced in issue two may have bought that one some more time.

That sounds like a great premise!

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,306
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Chameleon Boy
Chameleon Boy
RWC, CA USA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star