Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/19/24 06:19 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Reboot - 04/19/24 04:18 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Re: Your Current Pull List
Lightning Lad #821069 09/17/14 09:21 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I can definitely see the appeal of the older writing styles and wouldn't be surprised if I swing back that say eventually.

Btw, I'm enjoying Manifest Destiny immensely too! And you know I love some Five Ghosts too.

That being said, I've found myself also scaling back a little on some modern indies too. Maybe not as much as you, but I've certainly been more judicious in my approach, and have written off a few creators permanently (see: Rick Remender, Kieron Gillen, Justin Jordan).

Lightning Lad #821070 09/17/14 09:40 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Here's my current pull list, which may or may not include some things coming in October and beyond:

Marvel
Amazing Spider-Man
Daredevil
Hawkeye
Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk
Superior Foes of Spider-Man

DC/Vertigo
American Vampire
Astro City
Fables
Sandman:Overture

Bitch Planet
Chew
Fade Out
Five Ghosts
Invincible
Lazarus
Manifest Destiny
Mind the Gap
Morning Glories
Outcast
Saga
Sex Criminals
Southern Bastards
Stray Bullets: Killers
Velvet
Walking Dead
Wytches

Dark Horse
Buffy
The Massive

Archie
Afterlife with Archie
Sabrina

Oni
Stumptown

For me, that's not a lot. I used to go to the CBS every week but now go every 2 weeks to feel like the trip's worth it.

As I've said elsewhere, I may be giving the new Batgirl creative team a chance. If so, it'll be my first DCU ongoing in well over a year.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lightning Lad #821145 09/18/14 09:45 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Glad to see your Pull List, as it's always interesting!

Our Image picks are very similar though I'm not collecting Invincible or Southern Bastards (dropped after 3 issues) and also collecting a few others: Mice Templar (which I love), Thief of Thieves, Peter Panzerfaust (ditto), Manhattan Projects (love), East of West (love the art, still not sure how much I love the story), Supreme (highly recommend), Satellite Sam (one of my favorites) and Nowhere Men. I plan to also sample Roche Limit, ODYC, Rasputin and perhaps a few others, but we'll see.

I highly recommend you eventually tryout Atomic Robo, as I think you'll like it quite a bit.

I'll be getting my first regular Avatar title soon with Garth Ennis' War Stories, which I hope is a continuation of all his fantastic Battlefields and other war stories he's done. I'll probably also get Alan Moore's Crossed +100.

Our Vertigo selections are identical though I'm also sampling Bodies, since I like the format concept of four different stories in different eras.

I dropped the Massive, as you know, and have never been a Buffy comics fan. My Dark Horse regulars are Mind MGMT and Resident Alien, which has a 4 issue story usually every year now.

Like you, I'm collecting Afterlife with Archie and Sabrina for the first time, and am really looking forward to them!

Oh, and I'm trying out Walt Simonson's Ragnarok from IDW, which had a pretty great first issue.

I tried Stumptown for awhile but never was able to get into it. I wonder if perhaps I read it as a trade that it would read better? Admittingly, I've found myself letting 2-3 issues of Lazarus build-up before I read them and I much prefer to read them that way with a few at a clip (same with Morning Glories and a few other series). It's like a happy compromise for me between reading a full trade and reading on a monthly basis.

And since I ended up digressing to talk about all the indies you and I are buying, I also will be getting Lone Ranger from Dynamite, which I continue to love, and the Django / Zorro crossover, which looks awesome and features more Matt Wagner Zorro, which I continue to love. I'm wrapping up Chaykin's Shadow: Midnight in Moscow now, which I've enjoyed. But for the most part, Dynamite has had more misses than hits for me lately so I've back off unless I really trust the creators.

Lightning Lad #821146 09/18/14 09:49 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
BTW, I'll also be trying out Batgirl, as I mentioned in the Secret Six thread (in a lengthy post that got not a single response--yet again a personal betrayal by other posters I shall take the grave).

I'm also loving the Miracle Man reprints Marvel is publishing, which feels more like an indie comic to me. I'm definitely not loving the price though, which prevents me from feeling totally warm and fuzzy over them.

Lightning Lad #821236 09/18/14 04:33 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
BTW, I'll also be trying out Batgirl, as I mentioned in the Secret Six thread (in a lengthy post that got not a single response--yet again a personal betrayal by other posters I shall take the grave).

Uh...Cobie, I did reply to that post. Check the thread again. A touch too much of booze that night, maybe? Just kidding. But I do know you enjoy a good drink.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Cobalt Kid #821240 09/18/14 04:38 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive

Was that a recent post? Some of us are new here, and haven't got round to personally betraying you yet. smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lightning Lad #821246 09/18/14 04:59 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
If Mayavale taught me anything, you will indeed!

And Fanfie, I saw the Dreadstar comment. smile Some day, I will! But I meant no response about Batgirl specifically.

Lightning Lad #821249 09/18/14 05:05 PM
The lack of a response about Batgirl is rather telling, isn't it? wink

Lightning Lad #821251 09/18/14 05:08 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Ah you're the guy who got the betrayal lesson. I was taught how to grope with fake limbs.

Who's Batgirl wink

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Cobalt Kid #821271 09/18/14 08:41 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Our Image picks are very similar though I'm not collecting Invincible or Southern Bastards (dropped after 3 issues) and also collecting a few others: Mice Templar (which I love), Thief of Thieves, Peter Panzerfaust (ditto), Manhattan Projects (love), East of West (love the art, still not sure how much I love the story), Supreme (highly recommend), Satellite Sam (one of my favorites) and Nowhere Men. I plan to also sample Roche Limit, ODYC, Rasputin and perhaps a few others, but we'll see.

We've discussed many of my choices with these, so I won't rehash most of it. I dropped Thief of Thieves after the last arc because I just found it too confusing to follow on a monthly basis. I might pick up trades later, but I'm not gonna save up issues to read in bunches when I could just buy a trade.

I've only read the first issue of Southern Bastards to this point. It looks like another Aaron winner in the vein of Scalped (though very different), so I'm curious as to why you dropped it.

I highly recommend you eventually tryout Atomic Robo, as I think you'll like it quite a bit.

Remember, I bought the first trade a few years ago and wasn't in love with it. maybe I'll re-read it sometime to see if it strikes me differently.

I'll be getting my first regular Avatar title soon with Garth Ennis' War Stories, which I hope is a continuation of all his fantastic Battlefields and other war stories he's done.

Oh yeah, I'll get that one, too. It's one of those upcomings I couldn't remember.

Our Vertigo selections are identical though I'm also sampling Bodies, since I like the format concept of four different stories in different eras.

I'll be interested in your reviews, then. Seems like I've been waiting forever for Milligan to write material that's even close in quality to his early Vertigo output, which were some of my all-time favorites.

I dropped the Massive, as you know, and have never been a Buffy comics fan. My Dark Horse regulars are Mind MGMT and Resident Alien, which has a 4 issue story usually every year now.

Well you know I tried Mind MGMT and dropped it. I read the first Resident Alien mini and was underwhelmed. Just too low key, I think. Massive ends with issue 30, so I'm sticking it out. I think even with its problems, it's an exceptional read.

Like you, I'm collecting Afterlife with Archie and Sabrina for the first time, and am really looking forward to them!

Me, too!!! Afterlife may be in my Top Five, it's so good! If Sabrina's even half as good, it'll be awesome! nod

Oh, and I'm trying out Walt Simonson's Ragnarok from IDW, which had a pretty great first issue.

I bought issue 1 but haven't read it yet. I anticipate continuing.

I tried Stumptown for awhile but never was able to get into it. I wonder if perhaps I read it as a trade that it would read better? Admittingly, I've found myself letting 2-3 issues of Lazarus build-up before I read them and I much prefer to read them that way with a few at a clip (same with Morning Glories and a few other series). It's like a happy compromise for me between reading a full trade and reading on a monthly basis.

You read the last mini "The Baby in the Velvet Case" about the stolen guitar, right? That one wasn't nearly as good as the original mini, imo. I think it now being an ongoing is exactly what is needed. Lazarus IS a slow burn. If it were a $3.99 book, I'd either drop it or switch to trades.

And since I ended up digressing to talk about all the indies you and I are buying, I also will be getting Lone Ranger from Dynamite, which I continue to love, and the Django / Zorro crossover, which looks awesome and features more Matt Wagner Zorro, which I continue to love. I'm wrapping up Chaykin's Shadow: Midnight in Moscow now, which I've enjoyed. But for the most part, Dynamite has had more misses than hits for me lately so I've back off unless I really trust the creators.

I've decided to jump off Lone Ranger and not pick up the new upcoming volume with GrayPal. That'll leave me with zero Dynamite, as I also jumped off X-Files recently.

Honestly, I'm enjoying buying and reading older stuff so much that it's getting harder and harder to get enthused about new stuff. It's probably just a phase I'm going through..... wink

Cobalt Kid #821310 09/19/14 06:12 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L

Hey! I mentioned I was going to be giving it a try FIRST, bitch! tease

Lightning Lad #821711 09/21/14 12:56 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
BTW, Cobie...I looked up "From Hell" TPBs on eBay and decided to buy a used (slightly beaten up) one for a real bargain. So I'll soon have it in my possession and eventually read and let you know what I think! nod

Lightning Lad #821712 09/21/14 12:58 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
(It's probably a sickness, but I LOVE having a large stack of TPBs and HCs sitting on the coffee table next to my recliner waiting for me to pick and choose which to read next depending on my mood! blush )

Lightning Lad #821761 09/21/14 11:41 AM
If it's a sickness, Lardy, then I have it, too. nod

Lightning Lad #821763 09/21/14 11:44 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
If lovin' you is wroooooooong, I don't wanna be right! band

Lightning Lad #821770 09/21/14 12:07 PM
LOL lol

People, can you feel it? Love is all around! band love

Lightning Lad #821799 09/21/14 04:49 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Alright! Looking forward to your eventual review!

I finished A Tale of Two Cities (the regular novel, not a comic book thing) on friday, so tomorrow I pick one of those trades to start reading on the train every day.

Cobalt Kid #821811 09/21/14 05:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

I finished A Tale of Two Cities (the regular novel, not a comic book thing) on friday...

That book is the one that made me fall in love with literature. 10th grade English. If the teacher had just encouraged me a little, I might have become an English major.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Lightning Lad #821817 09/21/14 05:40 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I struggled a bit with it, until someone told me I'd been reading a history of Budapest by mistake.

Lightning Lad #821823 09/21/14 06:38 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I absolutely loved it. I've been waiting until Monday to post about it since I'll be at a keyboard then. I read it in 10 the grade and loved it then. But now, all these years later, I truly was able to realize what a masterpiece it is.

Lightning Lad #821877 09/22/14 08:45 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
LT, BTW, I posted this morning: Tale of Two Cities.

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 09/22/14 08:46 AM.
Lightning Lad #821983 09/22/14 08:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just read your post, Cobie, and it's your fault that I'm going to read the book again! wink

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Lightning Lad #821989 09/22/14 09:54 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Alright! My post bore fruit! Looking forward to your comments!

Lightning Lad #824060 10/08/14 06:50 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
One of those strange months where practically everything on my pull list arrives on the same week. Lots of reading to do tonight.

Lightning Lad #838628 02/11/15 03:03 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
So I've come to the slow realization that monthly books are becoming much less interesting to me than collections. I don't think this would surprise anyone who's read my various threads over the past year or so. I'm not gonna cease all monthlies by any stretch, but I've done pared it down a good bit. Here's my latest Pull List:

Marvel
Amazing Spider-Man
Daredevil
Hawkeye (likely to include the forthcoming Lemire relaunch)
Star Wars

Vertigo
American vampire
Astro City
Fables
Sandman: Overture

Autumnlands: Tooth & Claw
Bitch Planet
Chew
Fade Out
Invincible
Morning Glories
ODY-C
Outcast
Saga
Sex Criminals
Stray Bullets
Walking Dead
Wytches

Archie
Afterlife with Archie

War Stories

At 23, this probably is still a bigger list than many of you have, but it will be my smallest ever. Basically, I looked at the books I get that seem a worthwhile read on a monthly basis. Some of the ones I dropped, I might pick up later as trades because I think they'll be more satisfying this way. Hell, some of the ones I'm keeping (Wytches, Autumnlands, Bitch Planet, War Stories, Star Wars), I haven't even read the first issues yet, but I'm banking on their concepts and creators to guess they'll be worthwhile to pick up monthly.

She-Hulk has one issue to go. I'll buy it, but it didn't seem worth listing because it ends so soon. Fables is almost over as well, and several others on the list don't really qualify as "monthlies" with their sporadic publication, so I'll easily be buying under 20 a month more often than not.

Here are the books I've dropped:

Ms. Marvel
Batgirl
Five Ghosts
Lazurus
Manifest Destiny
Southern Bastards
Velvet
Buffy

In some of these cases, I may complete the current arc, so that if I decide to purchase collections, I'll have a clean cut-off point. I also bought but haven't read yet Secret Six number 1, so that's a bit of a variable.

Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,848
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Star Boy
Star Boy
Melbourne, Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star