Roll Call
1 members (Lard Lad), 26 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:33 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:30 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/24/24 09:11 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Marvel's sort-of LEGION: the GUARDIANS of the GALAXY
#501521 11/23/09 12:07 AM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
I just read it, and I agree (even before reading the #23 spoilers) that these deaths won't stick. Kang is obviously up to something, and with all the timelines being mucked with, it seems we've got plenty of deus in the machina awaiting. What appeared to be a rushed ending to a story appears more likely to be an early or middle chapter to a larger epic. I mean come ON--killing off Cosmo? Nuh-uh! Ain't gonna stick!

But, y'know, even if this were for real, I wouldn't be ready to drop the title. It's still good, and at least they didn't kill Groot! smile Non-issue, anyway.

As for the art, little too much on the cartoony side, but I wouldn't call it horrible. Looks like Craig is here for awhile. Guess Paul ain't comin' back, eh? frown

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#501522 11/23/09 09:32 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Lardi:
As for the art, little too much on the cartoony side, but I wouldn't call it horrible. Looks like Craig is here for awhile. Guess Paul ain't comin' back, eh? frown
He's off to Incredible Hulk, it seems (that's Pak's Banner & Son book, not Teh Lobe's Red Hulk book, in case anyone's not keeping track).

Oddly enough, I can take Craig better than Walker. Walker's stuff is so... undynamic it's irritating.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#501523 12/07/09 10:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
And with the recent issue, the art seems to have settled down a bit. Same with the violence. For now.

The team gets a moment to recover from WotK, and we seem them dealing with the recent deaths of the team. Everyone has someone they miss, and yet, it doesn't stop them from doing their job. DnA mix those character moments with political drama as well as a bit of set up for ongoing subplots. The Universal Church of Truth is certainly going to require some watching.

Here's hoping the book steers clear of any more cosmic events for a bit and just sticks to the GotG doing what they do - kick some galactic tail.

Just spouting off.
#501524 12/08/09 04:40 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
They certainly took out some key characters - and much as I deplore the never-stay-dead superhero, I wouldn't mind seeing them (or some of them) restored somehow. Always that contradiction; if only they'd just dial down the death rate generally.

However, it might be just as well to bring on some replacements - another talking animal/Cosmo substitute? - establish a new team dynamic and let the readers feel an authentic loss.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#501525 01/04/10 08:14 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The latest issue continues to make GotG readers agonize over the "dead members" by hardly mentioning them at all, but at the same time delivers a pretty solid story.

While the idea of the Fault is in so many titles now it can get a little repetitive, we do see a bit more of what was shown in the Quasar story in the "Realm" one-shot. More importantly, we get some good interaction between Peter and the Luminals, which have interested me thus far.

The issue focused mainly on Moondragon, who I've typically never liked, but DnA do a good job getting across her incredible self-loathing and depression without coming out and saying it. That feeling is very heavy throughout the story.

The story itself felt a little rushed without much happening, but was still a solid effort. Only Peter, Moondragon and Drax do anything of note but its likely by design to step back to a less ensemble story after the previous one (whether it suceeds or not is debatable).

I think at this point GotG needs to kick it back into high gear. Its not bad by any means, but it feels as if its 'slowed down'. If a really solid artist could come on for an extended run, that could be just what it needs.

#501526 01/05/10 08:42 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Now I'm all conflicted. I droppped Guardians after the big kill off, from a combination of disgust at that cheap shot, and fatigue with the crappy art, but Moondragon is (perversely) one of my favorite Marvel characters...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#501527 01/05/10 09:42 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Peversely indeed.

Seen the GotG #24 solicit, perchance?

http://marvel.com/catalog/?id=14303
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #24
A REALM OF KINGS ISSUE! The universe faces one of its greatest evils—and no one can see it coming! The Magus, the necromantic shadow-half of Adam Warlock, is not dead after all...and only a small and hapless band of heroes—heroes who should be dead, too—can stop him! Are they back from the grave permanently, and what will we finally see emerge from the enigmatic coccoon? Find out in the book that ComicsBullentin.com calls “excellent…Abnett and Lanning combine cosmic adventure with gritty combat and a dash of comedy into a wonderful package.” Rated T …$2.99

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#501528 01/05/10 05:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This book could really benefit from a floating cast. DnA have managed to really capture everyone they've written here. While I may not like some (Moondragon, Jack Flag,) they aren't poorly written. Having the characters move in and out of the book as the story moves onward is appealing and sensible.

There is a reason this thread mentions the Legion in it's title. Let's see DnA handle a good size cast.

Just spouting off.
#501529 01/12/10 08:18 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'd say they already are. Not fond of the mass death thing, no matter how it gets resolved. I also don't like the aging/youthening bit here anymore than I did in LEGION ON THE RUN. I wonder if it's a device that can actually work? I'm beginning to doubt it...

I like Moondragon better here than I have in *years*. Really, when you think about her, she's almost as much of a direct LSH dupe as any of the Imperial Guard. Unlike most of the Guardsmen, her character is even a sort of commentary about her 'original' (Saturn Girl).

I know I want to see more of Mantis and Cosmo... and I pretty much think that I will.

#501530 02/19/10 08:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
And I did as of #23. Not a second too soon, too, as my interest in this title had begun to fade a bit. Magus and Martyr take centerstage and are booth a bit drama queeny, but the revelations about the 'dead' make up for all of that. Of course, fans of those characters (Magus and Martyr) are probably rolling in catnip. Or are they? I dunno, neither 'speak' to me all that much.

I *was* very glad to read Cosmo, Mantis, etc. (but mainly those two).

#501531 02/21/10 10:19 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Reboot:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
[b]Guardians of the Galaxy – DnA also provide one of the best team books in science-fiction ever with GotG; between these two series, DnA are doing science-fiction the way Marvel & DC should have always done it
This is another one which has been slipping, but the newest issue - which I only read today - is the best issue since... oh... around #7, so that may be changing... if it survives. It isn't in the May solicits, and sales have been slipping quite badly (Nova's overtaken it for the first time, but that's by virtue of falling a bit slower).

There's a "Thanos Imperative" one-shot in place of both it AND Nova, granted, but I fear that the writing is on the wall, and event it sets up may take the form of a miniseries to bring the curtain down on DnA's cosmic reign...[/b]
This comment by 'Boot on the "Top 5" thread encouraged me to read GotG first among the newest stack of comics I just picked up yesterday. While I agree the last several issues have been a bit slower for my tastes, I've still enjoyed the series. But I do agree that the latest issue was the best in quite awhile and a nice shot in the arm.

Not only did it bring back all of the characters who have been off-screen (I won't say died because I never for one moment believed they were dead), but it also was an all-around great issue. I particularly liked the GotG interacting with Crystal, Blastaar and the cosmic version of the UN--this is a facet of DnA's cosmic corner that I really love, how they have made the cosmic landscape so vibrant in terms of politics and geography.

Almost all of the Guardians had a few panels that were a great way to reintroduce them to readers. From Bug's amusing few panels to Mantis / Cosmo / Major Victory's guiding force to Phyla, it was well done.

Phyla has never been my favorite but she does serve the plotline well, and DnA seem to like her. I'm glad for her continued presence.

I really hope the series is not in danger of cancellation because its very existence--like Nova--is one of the best things going about the current MU. I like the Inhumans and Imperial Guard minis, sure, but I'd rather drop both those than lose the Guardians. I think artwork has been a major problem. The latest effort was improved, I thought, than in recent issues. Its Oeming-esque style is one I've come to enjoy, and it seems there are several current artists in that mold these days.

#501532 05/16/10 01:47 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Has anyone heard any scuttlebutt about whether this title will continue after the THANOS thing this summer?

#501533 06/07/10 10:57 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well DnA start of on the right foot. They summed up Thanos' story in the the Ingition one shot. We get an idea of our players, and boy are they pretty to look at. I'm bummed that GotG is on hold, but DnA aren't letting us fans go just yet.

Just spouting off.
#501534 01/05/11 08:04 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
SO...

is GotG dead?

unfortunately, I'm not ineterested in any Thanos/Inhumans/War of Whatevers.... just curious if the GotG title as we knew it is gone forever.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#501535 01/05/11 08:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
I think it is, at least for now, Lash. However, March will bring a new mini called The Annihilators that will continue DnA's cosmic milieu. And it will have a "Rocket Raccoon and Groot" backup!

#501536 01/09/11 07:12 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yes, GotG is dead. Though The Annhilators are their heirs, sort of.

THE THANOS IMPERATIVE: DEVASTATION One-shot was out this week.

While Blastaar turns on his Inhuman allies (No! What a shocking development! Who could ever have foreseen such a thing?), Cosmo goes on a recruiting drive, fulfilling the last command/request of Starlord. Snippets of Crystal, Namorita and Robbie Rider are included, but the story's about the gathering of The Annhilators (tm). Ronan, Quasar, Silver Surfer, Beta-Ray Bill and the Gladiator are joined by Ikon the Space Knight to form this new team. Fans are calling them the Cosmic Avengers, but they are really more like the Space Defenders, IMO.

Medusa gets a fairly lengthy, if not particularly impressive, fight scene.

The art's nice, but the star of his show is the good dog, Cosmo. All of his interactions are fun to read, particularly those with Starlord, Beta-Ray Bill and Gladiator. His scenes with Ronan/Crystal and Quasar/Namorita left me wanting to read the next panels that didn't appear. Why weren't Crys and 'Rita along at least for the introductory ride? I'm about 1,000 times more interested in them than I am in Ikon. Ah, well- time to open my mind.

The scene worth the cover price is a two-page spread depicting Cosmo surfing the Coalsack Nebula with the Silver Surfer. Sheer delight.

#501537 08/31/11 06:10 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Someone on Facebook mentioned a GotG Volume 2... anyone heard anything? (a quick scan of Google showed nothing new)

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#501538 08/31/11 09:01 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
GotG v2 is the DnA series. v1 was the Valentino series (classic, 31st century, GotG).

#501539 08/31/11 09:01 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
GotG v2 is the DnA series. v1 was the Valentino series (classic, 31st century, GotG).

#501540 08/31/11 03:32 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Ah. For a minute I got all excited....

MLLASH #765412 03/10/13 07:53 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
GotG has come back to life.

The first issue (#0.1 - so cute :rolleyes:) gave the family background of Star Lord. Quite a charming story, a bit Luke Skywalker-ish, although just a set up for the main event. On the final page, we see the team (or part of it) together.

At Comixology, you can get the story of Drax for free from Marvel's Infinite line. I grabbed it but haven't read it yet, a review says it's light on dialogue and heavy on action, but, hey, it's free.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
MLLASH #765496 03/11/13 08:21 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I thought the first issue had a strong "getting to know Star Lord" opening. It felt grounded with so much grandiose epic on the horizon. In that sense, the Star Wars comparison is apt.

Beautiful art by McNiven and yet another fantastic Bendis script in Marvel Now. The man has upped his game.

MLLASH #922775 02/28/17 03:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Any fans of the Jim Valentino era of GotG? I'm curious about it because Marvel just released an Omnibus of his work on the book.

Yes, I understand this is the original version of the Guardians featuring the likes of Starhawk, Charlie-27 and Vance Astro, so that's not an issue for me. I'm just curious to see if some people here read the book, could share some thoughts on it and would recommend it or not.

MLLASH #922777 02/28/17 04:28 PM
Active
Active
I enjoyed it, but read it so long ago that I can't really be much more help. I know it annoyed me that it was constantly introducing the 30-th century versions of various main universe concepts instead of focusing on creating unique new ideas, but if that doesn't sound like a hangup you have, it's probably worth giving a shot.

MLLASH #922785 03/01/17 01:55 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
You know, I never read any of these before. But as I've mentioned, in the 90's after my Dad and I cancelled all the Image series, one of the only 2 that survived was Shadowhawk, which I loved and convinced my Dad to continue. That was an entirely Jim Valentino production and I really liked him as a creator (and from what I've read, he's a great person too and someone who helped change Image from what it was in the bad old days to what it is today, the best comic book company in the world).

This was such a crazy time at Marvel, where creators (especially artists) had a lot of freedom to create new characters and ideas and do what they wanted. Results varied from brilliant to horrible and I wonder where this falls?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,927
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Legolas
Legolas
on the lam!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star