Roll Call
0 members (), 17 Murran Spies, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:27 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:26 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Marvel's sort-of LEGION: the GUARDIANS of the GALAXY
#501396 11/12/03 06:50 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I liked the early 90s revival but it turned right into cheese casserole when Steve Valentino left to co-found IMAGE.

One of the 70s issues haunts me to this day-- the issue where Starhawk and Aleta's children Tara, Sita & John are aged to adulthood, attack Starhawk and crumble to dust before his eyes!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Re: Marvel's sort-of LEGION: the GUARDIANS of the GALAXY
#501397 11/12/03 09:06 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I liked the characters -- Yondu, Vance Astro, Martinex, Charlie-27, etc. -- but can't remember many memorable stories, aside from the DEFENDERS arc which introduced Starhawk. I remember it being a very confusing story.

I read the early '90s revival, the first 20 or so issues. But it escapes me, now.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#501398 11/12/03 11:51 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Quite possibly the most memorable story that featured the G o/t G took place in THE AVENGERS-- THE KORVAC SAGA.

I believe it was maaaaaaaaybe issue # 177 or so when Korvac/Michael/the Enemey and his wife killed every single member of the Avengers and the Guardians except for Thor and Moondragon. That the carnage took place in a suburban house really shook me up when I was a kid. Still one of the most memorable battle-issues I've ever read....

That full-page splash showing all the dead characters in Korvac's living room was pretty haunting....

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#501399 11/13/03 01:21 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lash, that's one of the best Avengers saga's I've ever read. The image of Dr. Don Blake hammering away at someone's chest while all the other Avengers were dead was pretty amazing too!

That's a great saga, if for no other reason than that it had pretty much every Avenger ever in it with the Guardians at the same time! This led right into the story were Gyrich tells them all but seven have to go.

Something else else I've always wondered, but am no longer sure on: What's the connection between Vance Astro and Justice of the New Warriors?

#501400 11/13/03 01:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Something else else I've always wondered, but am no longer sure on: What's the connection between Vance Astro and Justice of the New Warriors?
Aren't they one in the same? Or at least in an alternate universe?

#501401 11/13/03 01:35 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Marvel Boy/Justice is indeed suppossed to be Vance Astro, Guardian of the Galaxy.

But it was revealed that the Guardians' timeline diverged from regular-Marvel earth's in some issue of Marvel Team-up starring Spidey and the G o/t Gs.

Of course, the 90s series did its best to retcon that out by featuring decendants of -- or the actual characters of-- the X-Men, Iron Man, Silver Surfer, Firelord and many many MANY more...

#501402 11/13/03 10:06 PM
Leader
Leader
I'm right in the middle of doing a CAPTAIN MARVEL retrospective feature for KLORDNY, and have just re-read Arnold Drake's run of 8 issues. Here's a guy who had a great talent with both sci-fi and humor, wedged into a book with a bad premise, 3rd-rate art and hopeless Marvel-style soap-opera.

So I notice, RIGHT in the middle of his CM run, Ardnold ALSO goes and creates his OWN sci-fi feature from scratch: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. This debuted in MARVEL SUPER-HEROES #18 / Jan'69, with art by Gene Colan & Mike Esposito. Gene left CM just as Arnold arrived, so this may be the only time they got the chance to work together. For whatever reason, the story was NOT followed up during Stan Lee's run as editor, although the story was reprinted years later in ASTONISHING TALES #29 in 1975.

Steve Gerber & Sal Buscema deserve the credit for reviving the GUARDIANS in MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE #4-5 / Jul-Aug'74, when The Thing & Captain America travel to the future when the Earth is ruled by the alien lizard race, The Badoon (who originally made their debut in SILVER SURFER #2 / Oct'68).

Steve followed up on this in THE DEFENDERS, in a 5-part story that ran from GIANT-SIZE DEFENDERS #5 and DEFENDERS #26-29 / Jul-Nov'75, with art by Don Heck, Mike Esposito & Dave Hunt, and Sal Buscema, Vince Colletta, Frank Giacoia & John Tartaglione. (GIANT #5 was plotted by Gerber, Gerry Conway, Roger Slifer, Len Wein, Chris Claremont & Scott Edelman-- must have been some weekend party!)

My favorite GUARDIANS stories were when they received their own series in MARVEL PRESENTS #3-12 / Feb'76-Aug'77 (why didn't they just start with their own title and a #1???). Gerber teamed with Al Milgrom, who between this and CAPTAIN MARVEL was making a rep for himself as Marvel's "sci-fi superhero" artist. they had a different inker every issue for awhile, with Pablo Marcos, Milgrom, Howard Chaykin & Terry Austin taking a stab at it before Bob Wiacek settled in as regular inker for 6 issues running.

MP #3 introduced "Nikki", the young flame-haired girl from Mercury, who saw nothing wrong with being attracted to a "much older" man in Vance Astro. A few years later, I SWORE the character of red-haired "Niki" in SPACEHUNTER: ADVENTURES IN THE FORBIDDEN ZONE (played by a young Molly Ringwald) was partly inspired by her!

For reasons that have never been clear to me, Gerber left after MP #9 and Roger Stern took over, though never got to make much of a mark as the series was axed after he did only 3 episodes.

A few months later they turned up in THOR ANNUAL #6 in a story featuring Korvac, who'd earlier appeared in GIANT-SIZE DEFENDERS #3. This led into the year-long epic planned by Jim Shooter & George Perez in THE AVENGERS, which unfortunately, Perez dropped out of midway due to his then-incessant problem of taking on too many projects at once and blowing deadlines on ALL of them.

#501403 11/14/03 05:07 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Wow, THANK you for the early G o/t G history, Pro!

#501404 11/14/03 03:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I loved this series Lash!!!!!

Let the Fun Begin!
#501405 11/15/03 10:00 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Quite possibly the most memorable story that featured the G o/t G took place in THE AVENGERS-- [b]THE KORVAC SAGA.

I believe it was maaaaaaaaybe issue # 177 or so when Korvac/Michael/the Enemey and his wife killed every single member of the Avengers and the Guardians except for Thor and Moondragon. That the carnage took place in a suburban house really shook me up when I was a kid. Still one of the most memorable battle-issues I've ever read....

That full-page splash showing all the dead characters in Korvac's living room was pretty haunting.... [/b]
I remember getting that issue and the Legion tabloid of Lightning Lad and Saturn GIrl's wedding on the same day.

Touch the magic...
#501406 08/24/04 05:34 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
I liked the early 90s revival but it turned right into cheese casserole when Steve Valentino left to co-found IMAGE.
JIM Valentino, I think you mean smile

And apparently, he\'s going to post th...cs.com/guardiansofthegalaxy.html]website soon.

And, interestingly, he said in the thread I linked a moment ago that:

jimmyvee wrote:
Well, I didn't kinda stop...a little thing called Image came along and I found I no longer had time to pencil the book. Since we'd been having a lot of differences of opinion for about a year prior my editor "suggested" we make a clean break (in other words, I was fired).

If I'd had my way I'd have written the remaining issues.
And I read those issues recently Lash, and I have to agree - it did a treble backflip with pike over the shark after he left.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#501407 08/24/04 12:16 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
MLLASH:

But it was revealed that the Guardians' timeline diverged from regular-Marvel earth's in some issue of Marvel Team-up starring Spidey and the G o/t Gs.
Close. It was MArvel Two-in-One # 69, starring the Thing and the Gs ot G.

I was quite the FF fan back then.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#501408 08/24/04 04:22 PM
Deputy
Deputy
ah the possiabilties of a Legion/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover.....to quote Hank Hill when he found out about about the Texans football team and harbored the thought of an all texas Superbowl between the Cowboys and the Texans: "Yes,...this must happen!"
but i must addmit that Valentino's run on th book was great. the introduction of the Stark and how they twisted and perverted Tony Stark's inventions, the introduction of the universal church, that fanatical faction that spawned the Magus who turned out to be the most powerful mutant ever. think he even brought to light what happened to a number of earth's heroes in the aftermath of their War of the Worlds when martians invaded earth and conqured it. he even reserected Simon Williams aka WonderMan and the Vision, you found out that they survived the the W.O.T.W massacare and were now known as "Hollywood" and Viz gave up his android body and merged with a Supercomputer and was now known as "Mainframe". who along with the 31st century's Phoenix formed a spin-off group called the"Galactic Guardians".
also during Valention's run the Guardians went through some changes, Vance lost his containment suit, gained Caps' sheild. Yondu found out that he wasn't the last of his kind, and they gained 2 new members; a young Skrull tenager (i forgot her name.) and Talon a feral character who you found out later was a deciple of that century's Sorcerer supreme.
after Valentino left the book i still collected it because i am a fan of the group but they weren't IMO as good and when it ended i was still scratching my head. the origin of StarHawks parents still left me confused.
but all in all if anyone out there that hasn't read the series you should check it out you just might like it.

Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/
#501409 04/01/05 11:57 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
He's started posting stuff on the rebooted Image board (although it's not reached the point of where he would have gone yet) now:

http://www.imagecomics.com/messageb...tdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#501410 06/09/05 04:50 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
And now he's reached #50.

#501411 06/13/05 06:12 AM
Active
Active
I loved the '90s series, and y'know...it's just about time for a revival.

J

"Why must power be so elusive?" - Zoe Saugin
Enter Zoe\'s Closet
#501412 06/14/05 05:22 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Kinetix:
I loved the '90s series, and y'know...it's just about time for a revival.

J
Between the fact that it's set far in the future but has been dormant for ten+ years, and the unholy mess the last series ended with (between Gallagher's plain bad writing of the whole team and throwing them into an alternate timeline at series end), the chances of a continuation are zero. Nil. Naught. Less than none.

#501413 06/16/05 01:10 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN:
ah the possiabilties of a Legion/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover.....to quote Hank Hill when he found out about about the Texans football team and harbored the thought of an all texas Superbowl between the Cowboys and the Texans: [b]"Yes,...this must happen!" [/b]
We kinda got this in the Spidey-Boy Team-Up issue of the DC/Marvel Amalgam 2 line. Well, merged version of the characters, in both Pre- and Post-Boot flavours. Some of the characters I remember the names of were Martinex 5, Star Charlie and Vance Cosmic. Not too familiar with the GotG so it's hard to recall anymore.
Oh - I remember some more! Living Lighting Lad and Lass! (Even though Living Lightning isn't a GotG? And Multiple Maid? It seems Kesel (was he the writer?) was all over the infinitely dividing Luorno idea way before Waid ever tried it in the Rebooted Legion. tongue )

Wayne@OZ
#501414 06/16/05 01:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I was always more fond of Marvel's other sort-of Legion, The Shi'ar Imperial Guard. They were actually almost cool when Jim Lee was drew them during his "X-Men" run.

#501415 07/14/05 07:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Funny, i thought Lilandra's Imperial Guard was "spun off" from the Legion, you have to take a closer look of the members to spot the parallels: Phantom Girl/Astra, Shadow Lass/Midnight, etc.

Was this Dave Cockrum's payback for being taken off artwork duties for the Legion?

You gotta wonder....

#501416 07/14/05 11:57 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I was introduced to them in the Avengers. I believe issue #181. I'm a sucker for cosmic stuff so i wanted to learn more.

I got the 90's series and I somewhat liked it. It wasn't my favorite...sort of a guilty pleasure.

GoG are no Legon however. They need someone with a strong sci-fi background to develop this universe. Less Marvel proper connection or atlest more subtle. I would love to see Ladronn do a painted mini like he did with the Inhumans years ago. Much the like the DC/Marvel differences I believe that GoG need to be much darker than the Legion.

I believe Steve Gerber's wasn't all that cheery to begin with. Part of that Marvel 70's stuff profh0011 and I are fond of. The intellectual side of Marvel.

There was a recent GoG right? I remember the art looked cool or was that the last Starjammers mini>? geez.

#501417 08/09/05 02:22 PM
Leader
Leader
Check this out, from San Diego...

http://www.comicartfans.com/Gallery...866&GSub=12698&GCat=0&UCat=0

All the way on the left, Arnold Drake & Gene Colan-- the 2 guys who CREATED the Guardians of the Galaxy! (I couldn't miss that hat...)

#501418 02/28/08 06:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So, there's a NEW "Guardians of the Galaxy" series coming out. Or would these be the "original" GotG since these guys are in the present day. Anyways, here's an article:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=148414

#501419 02/28/08 08:21 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Sounds promising enough.

If it were DnA plus an artist I don't like, I'd read the first arc in the store. On one hand, I loved DnA's (and Chris Batista's) recent arc in Superman Confidential that flashed back to Superman's first encounter with the New Gods. But on the other hand, their Legion did nothing for me, and neither have the more recent Annihilation: Conquest mini or Nova ongoing (although in the case of that last one, it's because I have no interest in a Nova solo book no matter who does it.)

But since it's Paul Pelletier, whose art I love, I'll definitely buy the first arc (he was the only reason I bought the first few of the ill-fated Black Panther/Storm issues of Fantastic Four.)

Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
I liked the characters -- Yondu, Vance Astro, Martinex, Charlie-27, etc. -- but can't remember many memorable stories, aside from the DEFENDERS arc which introduced Starhawk.
I feel the just about the same, except I also liked their first Marvel-Two-in-One appearance. I'm glad that the new series is not using those characters, because I think Steve Gerber was the only one who knew how to write them. Which is why it was a shame that he left the ongoing abruptly; it feels incomplete.

And I couldn't get into the Valentino series at all (it didn't help that Valentino hated Starhawk, my favorite Guardian.)

Originally posted by profh0011:
the year-long epic planned by Jim Shooter & George Perez in THE AVENGERS, which unfortunately, Perez dropped out of midway due to his then-incessant problem of taking on too many projects at once and blowing deadlines on ALL of them.
And with Perez gone, there went any possibility that the enormous amount of guest stars had any reason to be there or that Shooter wouldn't pull his default ending of the Avengers suffering a humiliating defeat against the excessively powerful villain, only for said villain to be defeated by a plot contrivance. And Moondragon's awful speech added insult to injury (roughly, it was "Boo hoo hoo, his heart was in the right place; we were the villains and he was the hero") Puh-leeze. :rolleyes:

That the carnage took place in a suburban house really shook me up when I was a kid.
I read it in my early twenties, which might be why I had the opposite reaction: eye-rolling followed by disgust followed by anger at having actually spent money on the trade.

That's a great saga, if for no other reason than that it had pretty much every Avenger ever in it with the Guardians at the same time!
By that reasoning, the likes of Infinite Crisis and Secret Wars are "great" stories. smile

Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
I was always more fond of Marvel's other sort-of Legion, The Shi'ar Imperial Guard.
Me, too. That's why I do Imperial Guard fanfics, because Marvel doesn't seem to have a clue what to do with them (Emperor Vulcan, anyone?)

Orignally posted by DrakeB3004:
They were actually almost cool when Jim Lee was drew them during his "X-Men" run.
IMO, they were much cooler when they appeared in Operation: Galactic Storm. I don't like Jim Lee to begin with, and it bothers me that the horrible makeover he gave Oracle has somehow stuck.

Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Much the like the DC/Marvel differences I believe that GoG need to be much darker than the Legion. I believe Steve Gerber's wasn't all that cheery to begin with. Part of that Marvel 70's stuff profh0011 and I are fond of. The intellectual side of Marvel.
Totally agree. After reading this thread and writing this post, I miss Steve Gerber more than ever now. sigh

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#501420 02/28/08 08:56 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
To be contrary, the completely self-contained nature of the Korvac story was what appealed to me. It was an 'epic' story in that it had everyone in it, without being splashed across 24 comic titles for an entire year. In and done.

I miss tight storytelling, before everything had to be an 'event.'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#501421 02/28/08 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Set:
To be contrary, the completely self-contained nature of the Korvac story was what appealed to me. It was an 'epic' story in that it had everyone in it, without being splashed across 24 comic titles for an entire year. In and done.
So was the Celestial Madonna saga. And unlike Korvac, it had a writer who understood writing technique.

#501422 02/29/08 09:34 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Though I usually agree with you on Avengers stuff Stealth, I do like the Korvac Saga a lot. I don't rank it higher than the Celestial Madonna Saga (perhaps my favorite era), but I do see the Korvac Saga as "good traditional super-hero fun" that incorporates a lot of characters in a way that they all stayed in character and dealth with a huge problem. Kind of like a huge, Michael Bay type flashy story that was entertaining for what it was.

I know you're not a fan of that entire era, but overall I like it as the subsequent era to Englehart's Avenger's run.

I do hate Secret Wars though laugh

I'll be looking forward to Marvel's new Guardians of the Galaxy because I've been enjoying their Annhilation series and the use of Marvel's cosmic world. Looking forward to more Star Lord, Gamora and the rest.

#501423 02/29/08 12:42 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Looking forward to more Star Lord, Gamora and the rest.
They had me at Adam Warlock... love laugh

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#501424 02/29/08 02:20 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Stealth:
So was the Celestial Madonna saga. And unlike Korvac, it had a writer who understood writing technique.
Never liked the CM saga. Mantis felt like some terribly Mary-Sue who'd been shoe-horned onto the team for that one arc, and then the story turned out to be all about her, in traditional Mary-Sue fashion. 'Let's watch the Avengers play Disciples to Mantis' Jesus storyline!'

Different strokes, and all that. smile

#501425 02/29/08 07:09 PM
I do see the Korvac Saga as "good traditional super-hero fun" that incorporates a lot of characters in a way that they all stayed in character and dealth with a huge problem. Kind of like a huge, Michael Bay type flashy story that was entertaining for what it was.
Fair enough. I don't like Michael Bay, either, but I certainly respect your opinion.

I know you're not a fan of that entire era, but overall I like it as the subsequent era to Englehart's Avenger's run.
Again, I respect your opinion. My main problem with the change from Englehart to Shooter (more specifically, the Shooter who was no longer a teenage prodigy on LSH guided by a hard-assed editor who was right most of the time) is what I'd compare to a gourmet restaurant getting torn down and replaced by a McDonald's. Ideally, there would be room for both (hey, I enjoy fast food sometimes), but there are, literally and metaphorically, a lot more McDonalds than gourmet restaurants in the world, and that can be frustrating.

And I have to add that I weep when I think of what an extended Englehart/Perez run would have been like. Perez was improving by leaps and bounds JUST at the moment when Englehart quit, and Perez's art on Shooter's stories, especially the Grim Reaper one, is beyond awesome.

I do hate Secret Wars though laugh
To stretch my metaphor, Secret Wars is third-rate fast food served with an extravagant but empty presentation.

Never liked the CM saga. Mantis felt like some terribly Mary-Sue who'd been shoe-horned onto the team for that one arc, and then the story turned out to be all about her, in traditional Mary-Sue fashion. 'Let's watch the Avengers play Disciples to Mantis' Jesus storyline!'
LOL This is why I love discussing comics on this forum. Even when I disagree with someone's point, the point is always well-made and witty.

Different strokes, and all that. smile
Yes, indeed. Long live Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities at Legion World. cheers

#501426 03/03/08 05:02 PM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
Originally posted by Pov:
[b] Looking forward to more Star Lord, Gamora and the rest.
They had me at Adam Warlock... love laugh [/b]
They had me at Rocket Raccoon! I'll totally be picking this up.

Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!
#501427 03/05/08 11:05 PM
Leader
Leader
"And I have to add that I weep when I think of what an extended Englehart/Perez run would have been like. Perez was improving by leaps and bounds JUST at the moment when Englehart quit"

LYNCH CONWAY! LYNCH CONWAY!!!!!

"and Perez's art on Shooter's stories, especially the Grim Reaper one, is beyond awesome."

Oh, yeah-- the Grim Reaper story always stick out in my mind as the VERY issue where I suddenly realized, "Hey! George didn't make any drawing mistakes this issue!" (What ever happened to "earn while you learn?")

#501428 03/05/08 11:08 PM
Leader
Leader
Speaking of the end of the Englehart run... here's something I just sent a friend in an e-mail earlier today...

Only 2 writers have ever done Moon Dragon right, to my way of thinking-- Steve Gerber (who wrote her early appearances in DAREDEVIL-- of all places) and Jim Starlin (her creator, she was supposed to debut in IRON MAN but showed up in DD instead). Both showed a sensitivity that, apparently, EVERYONE else missed. Steve Englehart, who usually did such stellar work, set her on the path toward being arrogant & conceited. After that, other, lesser writers used that as a jumping-off point, and every appearance she made she kept getting worse! It's disgraceful, and the sort of thing that happens all too often in "corporate-owned" characters. Many years later, Starlin wrote her in a graphic novel, and for the first time in 20 years, she was written "right" again. I think some characters should ONLY be written by their creators...

#501429 03/06/08 07:06 PM

#501430 05/14/08 05:55 PM
Well, the first issue sure LOOKS good, although it would look even better if Pelletier were matched with a more appropriate inker.

The non-stop banter really grated with me, though. I like my space opera with more gravitas. DnA should read some back issues of Dreadstar so they can see how to get the balance just right.

#501431 05/14/08 06:21 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Stealth:
Well, the first issue sure LOOKS good, although it would look even better if Pelletier were matched with a more appropriate inker.

The non-stop banter really grated with me, though. I like my space opera with more gravitas. DnA should read some back issues of Dreadstar so they can see how to get the balance just right.
I agree with you about the banter. and the debrief scenes seemed to me like a parody of those reality show backstage interviews. but maybe that's the tone they were going for.

#501432 05/14/08 06:47 PM
It's possible. I haven't noticed that tone in any of their previous work that I've read, though. Maybe the editors are imposing that tone on them. After all, Marvel has recently been turning back the clock to all the bad things and none of the good things about the early 90s. There was some annoying, self-consciously goofy cosmic stuff being published back then, for sure.

#501433 05/15/08 07:29 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm not familiar with the characters, but I am with DnA's work. It was a fun read for me. They managed to add a little humour while introducing the cast. I'll certainly be giving this a try.

Just spouting off.
#501434 05/15/08 07:27 PM
A second reading reveal a couple good points I'd overlooked:

- This is the first time since the 90s that I've read a new story with Adam Warlock in it, and I think he's MUCH better-written here than during the 90s -- back then, he was a dour bore; and even though he's still quite serious here, he's the most likable character because of that; it also helps that he's the only character who understands the seriousness of the state of the galaxy, while the rest of the team uses flippancy as blinders to hide behind.

- The out-of-control rifts to other realities that Adam Warlock talks about is a concept that has GREAT potential, and this is the first time that a Marvel comic is exploring this since, ironically enough, the early 90s -- so I was wrong, this comic has brought back at least ONE of the good things from the early 90s.

#501435 05/25/08 01:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I quite enjoyed it. I liked the different narrative structure of having the characters comment on their thoughts about joining.

I was glad to see a Groot rootling growing under Mantis' tender care. And seeing the green one herself, even with an ominous comment to keep us reading.

She's called 'menat' here. Has that word been used in sci-fi trappings other than DUNE before? Or did it precede Frank Herbert?

I really like Cosmo and the bizarre setting (HQ inside a Celestial's head?!!!). I hope they manage to introduce similar weirdnesses without veering into unrestrained jokiness.

Isn't there supposed to be some upcoming connection to the 'old' G of G? Or is that what the object in ice is all about?

Maybe this galaxy has a planet of the red-crested people that Yondu comes from? And a crystallized being like Martinex... and a flame-haired chick (Frankie Raye?)... and a density-muscled dude from a heavy gravity world...

I think Starhawk's been mentioned-- too bad that's the character from the old G of G I'm interested in the least.

#501436 05/25/08 02:00 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
One of Yondu's people (Yondu was the only non-human-derived GotG member) appeared in Annihilation: Prologue as the Nova who got most screentime out of the doomed Corps (except Rich himself, obviously).

And that's what the object (and possibly the holder) in the ice is about, ja.

#501437 05/25/08 02:16 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Really? Thanks, Reboot. That's good to know. What was that character like?

#501438 05/25/08 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
a flame-haired chick (Frankie Raye?)
No.

Her name is Nikki.

Frankie Raye was one of the heralds of Galactus; she used the name Nova; not anymore, obviously; she's dead, I think.

#501439 05/25/08 08:53 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Reread what ML actually wrote, Stealth. He didn't say Nikki WAS Frankie Raye. He was looking for a bunch of present-day analogues of the GotG.

Really? Thanks, Reboot. That's good to know. What was that character like?
I.... can't remember. It's been something like six or nine months since I read it. The only thing I remember about her offhand was a line that went "If we survive this, I'll mate with you. For life" line at Rich for suggesting they go through the middle of the thing that killed the Corps rather than try & fail to go around. A few panels before she got her head knocked off.

#501440 05/25/08 09:24 PM
My mistake. As I've shared on Mission Monitor Board, I'm in a really bad mood tonight and it's affecting how I read and how I post.

#501441 05/26/08 08:17 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
hug Stealth...

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#501442 05/26/08 07:45 PM
Thank you, Pov. You're such a sweetheart. hug

#501443 05/27/08 10:06 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
HQ inside a Celestial's head, eh? Hmmm... I might have to get this if it isn't sold out.

#501444 06/11/08 04:25 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
This was a good, fairly dense read. Iwasn't familiar with the characters (apart from some names), but that wasn't a problem for following the story. A good mix of different personalities. The debrief log panels worked well to identify the characters - much better than the repetitive ID tags in the Legion comic - and fill in the story.

Usually, talking animal heroes are pretty corny - but I actually liked Rocket Raccoon and the ex-communist dog Cosmo.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#501445 06/18/08 10:46 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
FINALLY got and read #1 after somehow missing it when it first came out. Totally loved it. I've been praising and enjoying the two Annhilation minis and the Nova ongoing for quite awhile so I figured I'd like this, and I certainly wasn't dissapointed.

There's a lot of characters to get to and this was an introductory issue, so I'm really excited for the book to pick up speed.

I've come to really enjoy all the characters featured, particularly Gamora, StarLord and Rocket Racoon. Mantis too, and I hope she continues to appear in her own odd way. Great to see them all continue to interact and the odd relationships and histories they all have with each other.

Really glad to see Nova show up and hopefully he continues to every so often (and vica versa). I really hope Ronan the Accuser does eventually, as I really was hoping he'd be a part of this team.

Knowhere is a great new concept and great to see it a permanent part of this series. Cosmo is fun when underplayed and I like the tension with RR.

Groot just rocks beyond all belief.

Glad to see Adam Warlock back as a major character here, and I like how DnA are playing him.

BTW, the credits should basically say "special thanks to Jim Starlin!" each issue I think.

Also, the art was nothing short of spectacular.

#501446 06/18/08 02:44 PM
Leader
Leader
I thought I'd re-post this here, as it seemed appropriate...

MARVEL SUPER-HEROES #18 -- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: "Earth Shall Overcome" introduces a new series by Arnold Drake & Gene Colan. A thousand years in the future, the Solar System has been colonized by Earthmen genetically evolved to suit each planet. A Jovian, "Charlie-27", is returning from a lone outpost, when he discovers his entire planet has been overrun by The Brotherhood Of The Badoon (introduced in SILVER SURFER #2). Using a matter-transmitter to get to another planet, he meets up with Martinex, a crytalline Plutonian, and together they travel to Earth, where they meet Captain Vance Astro-- a spaceman from the 20th Century who survived a thousand-year journey in suspended animation, and Yondo, a "primitive" alien who uses "yaka" arrows that obey his command whistles. Driven by rumors of a "free colony", they escape and band together, determined to create an uprising to free the entire system from Badoon tyranny.

When I first read Arnold's CAPTAIN MARVEL issues, I found myself wishing he'd been in on the creation of that series, as it might not have been so wrong-headed from the start if he had. I forgot he actually created his own sci-fi series for Marvel. Clearly, GotG is Marvel's "answer" to DC's LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES-- science-fiction crossed with a team of super-heroes. And with a typical "Marvel" slant, it's a "negative"-based, or "problem"-based series. There were a LOT of those in the 60's, from THE FUGITIVE to THE INVADERS and so on. Set up a premise, an overall "problem", and you have a big ongoing "epic". The problem with too many of these kind of series is, they often don't ever reach a conclusion to their big "epic". The problem with THIS one was, after this initial episode, it took another 5 YEARS before anyone touched it again! This probably had more to do with Drake's abrupt departure from Marvel a few months down the line. At any rate, Steve Gerber was the writer who finally picked up the ball, and eventually wrote some 13 comics with the GUARDIANS, from MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE to THE DEFENDERS to their own series in MARVEL PRESENTS. The "Earth under control of aliens" plot would get reused in Marvel's KILLRAVEN / WAR OF THE WORLDS in AMAZING ADVENTURES-- and that series is still left hanging, unfinished!

Mike Esposito does a fairly nice job on the inks... but compared to some of the inking Gene Colan had been getting around this time (Jack Abel, Frank Giacoia, Joe Giella, Vince Colletta, George Klein, Bill Everett, TOM PALMER) it seems 2nd-rate.

#501447 06/18/08 03:38 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
I see Cobalt's as behind as ever, since he got #1 just in time for #2 to come out... smile

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">GotG #2 SPOILERS</span><span class="spoiler_text">So, Major Victory then. There's at least two weird things about this even BEFORE you consider the points the team itself picked up:
1) He introduced himself as Vance Astrovik. While technically correct, has futureVance ever introduced himself as Astrovik rather than Astro? Interactions with Justice notwithstanding.
2) The timeframe. He's got the Shield. He's in his classic containment suit (confirmed by Mantis, it seems) rather than the Venom-copy or his Cap-alike costume. But he didn't take the codename "Major Victory" UNTIL he dumped the containment suit.

This is before you consider Gallagher's clusterfrak that ended GotG v1, which included Vance giving up the Shield.

If this isn't a setup, as the team themselves suggest, this doesn't seem to be the Vance Astro we're familiar with (and there is, of course, the question about whether Starhawk's upcoming appearances were a fakeout, or if it's in addition to Vance). Skrull? There IS a Secret Invasion arc coming up...

Love RR's enthusiasm for "Guardians of the Galaxy" though, even if they're not even based in *A* galaxy smile </span></span>

#501448 06/18/08 08:32 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
When I bought it Tuesday the guy at the CBR said "you know the second one comes out tomorrow, right?"*. So I had to read it and rush to get my review in before it did. laugh

*This was at Midtown Comics near Grand Central Station in Manhattan (not the one in Times Square). No one at this board works there, right? Because I had a cool conversation about DnA's Legion with a kid a little younger than me, and it'd be interesting if that young lurker ended up having a conversation with the legendary Cobalt Kid.

#501449 06/18/08 09:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I enjoyed #2 quite a bit. GROOT AND THE BRANCHES was one of the suggestions for the team name! Ha-ha-ha! Guess who made came up with that one.

Lord, the tree and Rocket Raccoon make me wish DNA had brought some of this fun to their stint on the Legion. These two characters scream LSH member drive to me. RR is weirded out by Cosmo! Snicker.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> About Vance Astrovik-- do you think Justice, the character's 'current' time, regular MU self, will appear in this title? Or will he be avoided like Celestial dandruff? The uniform, the name he uses and his general befuddlement add up to suspicion justification. Gotta admit, it's a heck of a hook, though. </span></span>

Mantis- I read somewhere that she has a normally colored 'other-self' existing somewhere else in the galaxy (Pama?) Is this correct? Just when did she turn green? The concluding chapter of the CELESTIAL MADONNA saga, the one in a miniseries a couple of years ago, featured her as green, I believe.

When did she become an out-and-out telepath and precog? Is that a new interpretation of celestial awareness?

#501450 06/19/08 06:43 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It is a fun read, I'm liking almost all over the characters. Gamorra doesn't excite me, but seeing sweet Phyla mixed in with her makes for a good contrast.

Peter and Adam have a good relationship, I like the Kirk/Spock aspect of it all, and it's the one I like the most.

ML, you're right about RR. He's a riot. I want to see stuff blow up just so we can see more of him.

Just spouting off.
#501451 06/19/08 12:42 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
DnA interview/unlettered preview @ Marvel's site: http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.4014.Guardians_of_the_Galaxy

Mantis- I read somewhere that she has a normally colored 'other-self' existing somewhere else in the galaxy (Pama?) Is this correct? Just when did she turn green? The concluding chapter of the CELESTIAL MADONNA saga, the one in a miniseries a couple of years ago, featured her as green, I believe.

When did she become an out-and-out telepath and precog? Is that a new interpretation of celestial awareness?
She became green permanently when she reformed (long story) in the Avengers: Celestial Quest mini a few years back. She was tossing energy blasts around in that as well, and I think that's where Giffen picked that up from.

#501452 06/25/08 07:24 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Huh. I never did finish that mini... That was Englehart's return to his earlier Avengers plotpoints, right? I remember being so disappointed in that mini I stopped reading with #3, and never bothered ordering past #5... puke

Whatever, DnA are handling her well here... enough to make her tolerable. Her spacey "I know what's coming but can't tell anybody" could get to be annoying if overdone... sort of a reverse-Layla from X-Factor.

#501453 06/29/08 12:36 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Based on what I've read here, I picked up GotG 1 and 2.

Liked them. I'm onboard.

Instant favorites: Rocket Raccoon and Cosmo.

While reading, I was all, "maybe Moondragon could show/join up!" then I got to the panel with her grave. Oops. I didn't follow any of the space-themed minis that begat this series so I didn't know.

The last I saw of Gamora, Drax and Warlock was in the Infinty Watch series, and I remember absolutely nothing of that book if that tells you anything. So I feel like they're all new to me here.

The Mantis I love best will always be the Vietnamese martial artist Avenger, but this green one with all her celestial madonnaesque powers seems groovy. Hmmm... might there be TOO many green-skinned members? Nah, I guess not.

Knowhere is a lot of fun.

DnA never had this much fun on THE LEGION and I wish they would have.

#501454 07/13/08 05:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#3-- whoa! Gamora! That was a heroic stand if I've ever seen one. Veddy impressive.

Starhawk has possibly the best name and 'coolest' visual of the old GOTG, but he just bores me silly. I'm not so enthused at his return. This Church of the Cosmos or whatever doesn't get my blood pressure up, either. They aren't completely beyond interest, either, though.

Not as much 'funny' this issue, which I miss- but it would have been somewhat out of place.

#501455 07/17/08 02:42 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Church guys are interesting to me because of their power - prayer-supported belief. I'd like to see that explored more - is that what it really is, or is that just the Church's cover story? If it's just belief fueling them, couldn't anybody conceivably access that power? (There should be an encylopaedia of wacky galactic churches in comic books.)

The genetic engineering gone wrong was a chilling idea. You've got to figure there could be quite a few experimental boo-boos to clean up in the galaxy, along with the rifts.

I had to look up the Dyson Sphere thing; DnA could have been making it up, for all I knew, but it's a pre-existing idea. Sort of a reverse Planet Hell (which wasn't DnA's Legion, but that's what first came to mind).

They've struck a good balance with the dog & racoon; more scenes could be wearing.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#501456 07/17/08 07:14 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
DnA are introducing me to these characters, and they've done a fine job. I was actually worried for Gamorra in this issue (these guys did kill Wonder Man off in the 1st issue of FORCE WORKS after all.)

And Pelletier's art is some of his best yet. It's slick and full, detailed and energetic. He's a good pairing for the DnA script.

Just spouting off.
#501457 07/21/08 12:00 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
# 3 continued to be a good read.

I *do* think Mantis was taken down a bit too easily. I feel of them all she should be the one character that is nigh-invinclible. Precog abilities + super-martial artistry (now of space) = cannot be beaten.

Cosmo still rawks. I've pretty high hopes for that Groot treebranch thing too.

#501458 07/21/08 12:04 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Groot had some pretty hysterical (and one really awesome action) scenes in the Star-Lord mini-series. He and Rocket Racoon developed an odd sort of pairing that worked really well. This was of course done by our beloved Keith Giffen.

#501459 07/21/08 12:22 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
OhmiGAW, Giff space-rawks. He and DnA need to re-team for an arc on GotG.

#501460 07/21/08 12:24 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Agreed! They basically rebuilt Marvel's cosmic landscape these last two years! (With some further help, notably their editor, Andy Schmidt).

Groot's awesomeness may prove to be the greatest of them all in this series!

#501461 08/23/08 05:42 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Not much of the great and awesome Groot in #4, but there's a good bit more of Mantis. 'That one', it's revealed, subtly influenced the members of GotG to sign up telepathically. At the prompting of Starlord.

I would've preferred it if she'd done that under her own initiative, as being somewhat of a troublemaker is something that's been absent from the character since her greenifying ascension.

I hope the obvious doesn't happen; i.e. having either Cosmo or Rocket Raccoon as a Skrull (heavily hinted at, I thought). The new hereditary security woman (don't remember her name) would be my bet for Skrulliness.

They all but name Drax as a Skrull, so he probably *isn't* one. Vance Astro? Starhawk? Also, a bit obvious.

Not *quite* as enjoyable an issue as the previous three, but not bad. In fact, we get to know more about Knowhere, which is a good thing.

#501462 08/24/08 11:29 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Still enjoying as of # 4.

The first panel of the Rocket/Cosmo fued was way cute, but by the end I was worried. I don't want either character to be a skrull.... though Cosmo's continued ommision from the roll call page might be telling.

Looks like Mantis and Star-Lord are in for an ass-whupping from Drax.

#501463 08/24/08 09:35 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, finally caught up and all I can add at this point is this is now tied with DD and Cap as my favorite Marvel title.

Thus far, best DnA comic ever, and one of best in entire industry.

#501464 09/05/08 07:35 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Will they hurry up healing Gamora?! frown

She's WAAAY too hot to have her walking around looking like a bald scab... shudder

#501465 09/07/08 09:31 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
<----------also a fan of green-skinned thong wearing Lady super-assassins

#501466 09/20/08 09:23 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#5- Don't let the cover fool you... Gamora's still healing.

Did Massdriver, Brightstorm and Impact (Cynosure's Xarthian Luminals- a team of security personnel?) remind anyone else of LSH-type characters? I could imagine them at a DNA Legion tryout... something we never saw, if I recall correctly.

A one-two punch of a pair of cliffhangers... 1) Cosmo is protecting some Skrulls. Is *Cosmo* a Skrull? Or a traitor? Are those he's protecting 'good' Skrulls? 2) Drax pushes the button that's going to kill everyone onboard Knowhere...

Preceding those 'hangers- there's some interesting character interplay between Mantis and Adam, between Gamora and Phyla and between Gamora and Peter.

Vance Astro intrigues me; Starhawk so doesn't (though she's got a great look, for all that I prefer the brighter-hued blue and gold the character once wore).

Highlight of the issue? I was tempted to pick the Groot line we couldn't read, but that prompted the reply 'not with my pants on'.

But how could I resist Cosmo telling the GOTG to 'Stay' as he exited? Ha-ha-ha!

#501467 09/27/08 03:07 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Could someone recommend some backstory issues on these characters? I saw in #4 they referenced Nova. (I won't get #5 until next week.)

Cosmo's a great character for a security chief. Who better understands obedience than a well-trained dog? I hope he's not a Skrull, but that might explain some of the antipathy between him and Rocket Racoon.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#501468 09/27/08 04:16 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Could someone recommend some backstory issues on these characters? I saw in #4 they referenced Nova. (I won't get #5 until next week.)
Cosmo, before this series, only appeared in Nova #8-9 (of his current series).

Rocket originated in an 80s miniseries (recently reprinted in Annihilation Classic), and had a few bit-parts before vanishing for 15-odd years until Annihilation: Conquest - Star-Lord & Conquest-proper.

Star-Lord vanished for even longer - he appeared in various one-shot stories (with an origin by Steve Englehart, but mostly by Chris Claremont & Doug Moench) in the 70s Marvel magazines, and then didn't appear again until Giffen's Thanos #7-12 (there was a 1997 Starlord miniseries, but with a different character in the title role), and then subsequently in Annihilation #1-6 and much of Conquest (the Prologue, his mini and the main series).

Drax got recreated in a miniseries just before Annihilation. It was TPBed, and it was also included in the first Annihilation TPB.

Phyla's basically only appeared in Captain Marvel v4, Annhilation #2-6 and then most of Conquest (including her own mediocre mini, by Christos Gage).

Groot's a 1950s monster character Giffen was trying to bring back on and off for years, and he finally stuck in the Conquest Star-Lord mini.

Vance Astro & Starhawk are both long-time Guardians of the Galaxy characters (although how much THIS Starhawk has to do with that one is less than clear).

Adam Warlock & Gamora, I'll leave to Pov; and someone else can do Mantis ;p

#501469 09/27/08 06:51 PM
Mantis, created by Steve Engelhart, first appeared in the early 70s in Avengers. Over the course of about two-dozen issues, including three Giant-Sized Avengers specials, she evolved from a martial arts mistress with a seedy past into a Celestial Madonna destined to give birth to the Celestial Messiah. Due to conflicts between Englehart and Marvel, she came and went over the years with an increasing amount of baggage, including a "death." Her last appearance before Annihilation: Conquest was, as far as I know, the 12-issue maxi-series Avengers: Celestial Quest, which was the last time Englehart wrote her. Lucky girl, DnA are guiding her destiny just fine (I think GotG has improved a lot over just a few issues.)

#501470 10/03/08 02:33 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks for the input, Stealth & Reboot. I could do without the Celestial Madonna stuff; Mantis is an interesting character now, so perhaps it's best for me to not dig into her past issues. Looks like Starhawk is following the same pattern of changing. Looks like Annihilation is the easiest route into the backstory business.

Got #5. Cosmo is one of the few talking animals in comics that has a credible and important role in a story. He still acts a lot like a dog, unlike Rocket Raccoon, who is really just a human in raccoon form.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#501471 10/03/08 07:21 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
#5 was awesome. DnA is really shining here, and Pelletier's art is A++, its dark and moody and yet maintains the beauty of his style.

I love the way DnA has each character doing something interesting in every issue. It feels like this is the perfect amount of characters for them, somewhere between 7-11 heroes. Every one of them, from Warlock to Phyla to Peter to Drax is further advancing the plot while giving us character moments too.

They also continue to be the best sci-fi writers in comics each issue. This series continues to not only be one of Marvel's best but one of the industries best.

#501472 10/03/08 10:54 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Cosmo and Warlock had the best one-liners... lol

Cosmo: "Stay!"

Adam: "Bad dog." rotflmao

#501473 10/10/08 10:21 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
GotG interview with DnA here: http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/printthread.php?t=45776

CXF: Excluding your current work, what one project are you most proud of? What would be a key piece of work which fans could check out to get a sense of your writing/storytelling style?

DnA: Probably our run on Legion of Superheroes
And preview of #6: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=1186&disp=table

#501474 11/06/08 12:21 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
New DnA interview, including some preview pages for #7 (Groot's BACK!): http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18710

#501475 11/06/08 10:15 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I just read #s 5-6 and I can't recall any 2 new issues of any series read back to back that I've enjoyed more, except maybe Walking Dead.

DnA are going with some tried and true formulas and totally pulling them off...

Love that Cosmo wasn't a traitor, love the twist with the pacifist Skrulls, love the old "breakup after dark secret revealed" and I'm sure to enjoy the "all-new all-different" apparently coming next issue (hopefully temporarily unless they totally rawk).

LOVE all the snappy one-liners. Cosmo deserves his own series.

Completely unexpectedly, GotG has entered... my personal top-5 favorites!

#501476 11/11/08 07:37 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lash, trust me, wait until you see DnA do Groot. I predict he'll be the breakout star of #7-12.

Have I mentioned how much I love this book? Anyone reading this and not reading Incredible Hercules, allow me to direct you to Marvel's other FREAKING AWESOME comic book.

#501477 11/16/08 11:50 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I remember speaking to Jim Valentino when Marvel had offered him GOTG, he had really wanted to do the Legion and had inquired repeatedly and as I remember I believe there was some sort of bad blood between Mark Waid who apparently had the final say and Jim, it's a damn shame though cause Jim is a hell of a storyteller. A real fan, I think he would have done us all proud and I think alot of our former readers would still be around, Props to you Jim, the Legion has always been my fave but I'll have to say that I don't think I've read any of your stuff that I didn't like. Hears to a Legion that we can all be proud of, C'mon DC show us that disrespecting 50 years of fandom can be put behind us and give us a regular book with the talent that is being put into the Crisis of Three Legions. Sincerely Dirk Morgna

#501478 11/23/08 10:53 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
DnA are making GotG my favourite Marvel book right now.

Just spouting off.
#501479 11/27/08 09:26 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Of "No Future"

In Which a Prisoner is Interrogated, a New Team is Formed, Gamora has Healed, Adam Warlock decides to Effect a Hostile Takeover, a Resurrection is Teased, some Badoon make a Move, and Star-Lord Bows before a King.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">More detail... </span><span class="spoiler_text">I quite liked the issue, but didn't love it - though I'm very glad to FINALLY get some idea on WTF is up with Starhawk. Less than keen on any hints of Moondragon's resurrection - and the parings feel odd, since I would have sworn Phyla would be the one to hook up with AW, and Gamora with Drax.</span></span>

My overall feeling is one more of "I'll see where this goes" than "YEAH!"

#501480 11/28/08 10:58 AM
Until now, I had been less enthusiastic about this book than a lot of other people on the web. Starting from an iffy first issue, the series improved quickly, but I kept waiting for an issue to explode colorfully across the corners of my mind, the way great space opera should.

Well, this is that issue!

And with it, GotG has finally metamorphosed from a good comic to an OUTSTANDING one!

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">With the team members having (temporarily?) gone their separate ways, Rocket Raccoon leads a pickup team (Mantis, Major Victory, Groot, and Bug) into battle against escalating threats from the Badoon Empire, the same empire that, as Starhawk explains to Cosmo, will conquer the galaxy in the distant future. Meanwhile, we get vignettes of the other team members’ activities, climaxing with Star Lord ending up in the Negative Zone domain of Blastaar.</span></span>

The way each big development tops the one before it, and the way all these visual and conceptual treats are compressed into a single issue, is the type of thing rarely seen from Marvel comics since the Silver Age. Kudos to Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning, who are now officially my favorite current Marvel writers.

Paul Pelletier is the perfect artist for this sort of thing, and he more than rises to the occasion, with some of the best single-page and double-page splashes to ever grace a superhero comic. The double-page splash of the Steve Gerber-era Guardians, in particular, should give goosebumps to any serious GotG fan.

The only thing I didn’t like was the hint that Drax’s daughter Moondragon is alive, because I have always despised Moondragon and was very happy to find out she had snuffed it in Annihilation: Conquest, which I haven’t read.

Ah, well, this is still the kind of comic book issue that renews one’s faith in superhero comics.

#501481 11/30/08 05:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Loved Cosmo, Bug, and the flashback to the original Guardians. All the stuff featuring the main current cast was fun and well-illustrated.

I'm not a huge fan of the guy appearing on the last double-page spread, which received quite a build-up, so the issue left me feeling just a bit flat. Just a bit, mind you.

#501482 11/30/08 06:10 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
This book could be renamed 'Cosmo and Rocket bicker for 22 pages' and I'd buy it.

Cosmo is my new favorite Marvel universe character, ever.

#501483 01/18/09 01:10 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Well, some people here are going to LOVE Star-Lord's "redesigned costume" wink

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=1875&disp=table

#501484 01/18/09 04:37 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, at least Blastaar left him something. Who knew cosmic superheroes could be modest?

I thought it was interesting that a blurb at that link praised "Rocket Racoon and his gang". The Racoon is certainly one of the highlights. I was happy to see him get lots of panel time in the last two issues, and some of the better lines.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#501485 01/24/09 09:04 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So there's almost a reunion this issue. Rocket has the chops for both team leader and team comedian. And the next issue blip suggests he may even take on team badass as well.

Just spouting off.
#501486 01/25/09 12:53 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I read 8-9 last night...

Missed Pelletier but the new guys are pretty good too. No harm done there.

The LOL moments kept on a-coming as did the action and suspense. DnA could teach a comicbook-team writers workshop based on their GotG.

Yeah, you're Groot, and you're fabulous!

Bug raises the total of green members once again! I think an all-green issue should come after WoK!

GotG is without a doubt my favorite superhero book now, proven last night as 8-9 were the last books I read before THE WALKING DEAD (which holds favorite comic category).

#501487 01/25/09 06:02 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Giffen and now DnA have given Bug a really cool kind of role here. He's like the loveable, "pretty" reliable buddy who may not be the most effective or greatest teammate, but he's good to have around. At least that's how I'm reading it.

I like the comment about how DnA could give a workshop, Lash. Its absolutely correct. They're doing the same with Nova on how to handle a solo character in his own comic.

#501488 02/10/09 04:56 AM
Leader
Leader
There's a very LoSH-ish appearance of the GotG in The Age of the Sentry #5, just in case everyone isn't aware of it already.

And here's a preview of the issue:

http://tinyurl.com/cr689m

ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!
#501489 02/11/09 09:30 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
How has the Sentry series been? I've been curious about it, haven't checked it out yet.

Has it touched on that retrofitted relationship with Crystal?

#501490 03/14/09 06:37 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#11 focuses on the recently killed/not killed? Destroyer and Phyla-Vell in the realm Oblivion where they encounter an absolutely bonkers Maelstrom and a sleeping(?) Dragon of the Moon.

Not much in the way of yuks here, but I found it compelling. I'm completely unfamiliar with Marvel's Oblivion, so I'm as clueless as Phyla with regards to their surroundings. I vaguely remember reading Maelstrom elsewhere, but with no detail. Was he always this nuts? Overtly nuts?

#501491 03/14/09 06:59 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
He was in fact quite nuts, wanting to bring about universal entropy in his last appearance (which, oddly enough, was in GLA: Misassembled, where Mister Immortal convinced him to kill himself, instead of the rest of the universe).

#501492 03/14/09 07:14 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks, Set!

#501493 03/18/09 10:16 PM
Substitute
Substitute
For a really great Maelstrom story look for Quasar 19-25. It shows you why he has a conection to the Quantum Bands.

#501494 03/25/09 05:01 PM
After the last issue, I was on the verge of dropping this book. The colloquial flippancy of Maelstrom's dialogue really grated on me. I prefer my cosmic villain dialogue fruity and overripe, the way that Maelstrom talked in his earlier appearances.

The new issue is good, though.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I'd heard that Wendell Vaughn had returned in Nova, which I don't read but which I know is also written by DnA. So it was a pleasant surprise to see him in GotG, AND to reclaim his power bands and the mantle of Quasar.

Not happy about Moondragon's resurrection, although I know some people will be happy. But Phyla-Vell's new status quo more than compensates -- death's new avatar in exchange for her lover Moondragon's life. Wow. The potential for storylines is awesome.</span></span>

#501495 03/26/09 07:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
You might want to read this month's NOVA, Stealth...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> ... or maybe not, since Quasar gives the quantum bands to a dying Richard Rider, who becomes the new Quasar, possibly combined with the lightform Wendall? We don't know that yet, Richard/Quasar appears on the last page. </span></span>

I would've liked a breakaway to the rest of the cast, but I guess DNA were going for a claustrophic feel with the Oblivious Ones.

I thought the dragon was beautifully drawn, and I'm more glad to see <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Moondragon</span></span> back than you are.

Not sure about the ramifications for Phylla. It just seems another in a sequence of transition/transformations that don't seem intrinsic to the character at all.

Not enough Drax, I thought. Phylla has a moment with Mentor which I would've preferred were written with Drax. Oh, well.

#501496 03/26/09 07:17 PM
I'm glad I don't read Nova. I would have been really pissed off. As it is, I'm merely annoyed.

#501497 03/26/09 08:07 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Quasar's actions were actually somewhat moving to read. I'm not a huge Nova fan, so I'm not particularly annoyed. I somehow doubt anything is even semi-permanent. Though with DNA, you don't know.

#501498 03/26/09 08:11 PM
I hate Nova and love Quasar. That's why I wish DnA had left well enough alone.

#501499 07/28/09 08:12 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
With War of Kings running, I think most GotG comments are being left in that thread, but I thought I'd return here for some more general comments about GotG. You know, considering its one of the best comic books out there right now.

I thought the guest appearance by the traditional GotG was pretty well done and a fun issue! As usual, DnA was able to convey quite a bit in one issue, including their distinct personalities, their camraderie and what makes them so unique to the rest of the MU.

I'm loving Mantis more and more each issue. I think I might be developing a crush on her.

The addition of Jack Flagg is really just awesome. Warren Ellis did at least one thing right on Thunderbolts by making him matter (for the first time ever) and DnA took the ball and ran with it. He's so out of place here that he fits in (that's a Yoga Bera-ism if I ever posted one).

I loved the exchange two issues earlier between Major Victory and Groot admist the battle. I've got to find it and post it. Something else else like: "What do we say to that, Guardians?" "I am Groot!" "Exactly". Major Victory cracking jokes? Love it.

Phyla, who I generally have disliked throughout her existence, is suddenly becoming a charater I actually kinda like and am interested in. Sure, her actions annoyed me as much as Peter Quill, but her continued "unhindged-ness" is eyebrow raising. Looking forward to Gamora giving her a beatdown.

So many characters just have developed a "presence" in the panels they're in. Drax has only been in like 5 panels in three issues and yet each scene he's in is just perfect. DnA have really been able to get ahold of the characters that way and its awesome to see.

#501500 08/18/09 02:31 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I thought last month's issue 16 with the original Guardians was possibly the very best issue of the series to date. It was a very welcome tale as, frankly, I'd gotten a little bored with the series lately. It just seemed I was reading the same story every month with the same plotlines dragging on and not reaching any kind of conclusion.

This issue addressed the core premise of the series (the spacial fissures) head-on and demonstrated what the Guardians are fighting for. Obviously, this issue has been set up for some time with Starhawk having appeared since the first few issues. My problem is did it really have to wait this long to see where that was going?

I don't mind a series being a "slow burn", but it seemed we were taken on too many side trips to get where we need to be. For example, the "break-up" of the team really killed the forward momentum and could've been done later in the series. Worse, ultimately that side trip had little to any value as a longterm effect. Don't get me wrong, this is a good series and has loads going for it, but I hope this issue means we're starting to get somewhere! (I find it ironic that this issue seemed to be the camel's back breaking straw, given how much I perceive it as a step in the right direction.)

I enjoyed the more cartoony art this issue, and like the characters as they were apparently about to wink out of existence, I'm wondering how they'll get out of that mess! Maybe they'll be able to access the Celestial from Knowhere via they're nearness to the other Celestials and their Knowhere teleportation bracelets?!?!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#501501 08/18/09 03:12 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
I think most of the trouble with GotG can be traced back to WoK. First, the book lost its' artist to the "more important" series and got a poorer-quality replacement in his place. Next, with DnA writing Nova, War of Kings, War of Kings: Ascension, and Authority (not to mention D's non-comic writing work and A's inking work), you begin to wonder if they're a bit overstretched. If so, GotG is the one showing it. And, of course, the Starhawk reveal couldn't be made until now, because it was intimately tied to the revelation in WoK #5, and that had to come out first.

#501502 08/18/09 04:14 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
That's a very good point and one that occurred to me--DnA are stretched very thin. And it's not going to let up any time soon with TWO WoK follow-up minis (Realm of Kings), one about the Inhumans and the other about the Imperial Guard, that are solicited beginning in November. If those spin off into series, we may lose DnA on either Nova or GotG or even both.

I wonder if some of the side trips on GotG may have been influenced by the timetable of WoK not being what they originally planned, hence Starhawk and her neverending dangling plotline.

In any case it looks like the Fault could turn into a very compelling and bountiful plot source for both Nova and GotG. Let's hope it lives up to that potential.

#501503 08/22/09 09:36 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I read 15-16 last night and I'm still loving it.

The Cosmo/Rocket Raccoon cover for 15 was awesome.

I love how huge the team has become. Hope everyone's okay after the end of # 16...

#501504 08/22/09 10:27 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Yeah, actually. Adam'll fix it and get everyone back. smile He was God once, you know... laugh

(And a big <span style="font-size: 24px;">YAY!</span> to Lashie being back posting, esp. on COMICS! :partywoo: ) Koko

#501505 08/22/09 10:53 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Thanks, Povvins... I read a buttload of 'em last night. I'm back on the sauce!

#501506 08/29/09 01:33 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
#17 came out this week.

I suspect that Pov's head WILL explode when he reads it. laugh

#501507 08/30/09 04:43 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Love the reveal about Groot.

#501508 08/30/09 06:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Wait... Mantis is there?

omg

Touch the magic...
#501509 08/31/09 08:58 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Reboot:
#17 came out this week.

I suspect that Pov's head WILL explode when he reads it. laugh
ARGH! I won't get it til Wednesday... sob

#501510 09/01/09 03:51 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Should I set up a webcam so 'Boot can see my head explode tomorrow...? hmmm

#501511 09/02/09 05:47 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
[Lashie]SQUEEEEE![/Lashie]

Oh. My. GOD. lol

-Warlock leading the UCT Cardinals to stop the expansion of the rift.

-Phyla's pact with Oblivion...revealed! Gamora... seriously pissed! And that ending...

Again:

hmmm

DnA are kicking serious @$$ with their spacebooks in general, but this book in particular. I didn't even miss Pelletier this month...

#501512 10/30/09 07:52 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Okay, the shark, she is jumped.

Death, death, death, death, and, wait for it... more death!

I don't even care if it all gets undone next issue (and since Kang the Conqueror *and* a Cosmic Cube feature into the story, it wouldn't even be improbable). I'm done.

Still with appalling art, as well. It's like the writing and the art all went to crap at the same time, like someone sneezing and farting simultaneously, to explosive and messy effect.

#501513 10/30/09 08:43 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Know what this issue felt like? It felt like the cancellation hammer came down around halfway through, and then came back up again at the very last moment.

Seriously, while the book ISN'T cancelled, this had all the hallmarks of a creative team forced to tie-up a plot in far, FAR fewer pages than they had planned. Especially given the end of WoK: Who Will Rule.

As for the art... I didn't hate it. I liked it more than that of Brad Walker (the regular artist) anyway.

#501514 11/03/09 05:12 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
GotG #23 cover. Significant spoiler: http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.10156

#501515 11/03/09 05:40 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I AM ENRAGED. I could not BELIEVE the ending of this deathfest!!!! I have never seen a comic I love become one I dislike so thoroughly and swiftly!

Seriously, unless this is somehow erased, GotG ended for me with the previous issue.

#501516 11/04/09 07:32 AM
I'm so glad I dropped this book before that issue.

#501517 11/08/09 01:45 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, I just read the latest but I really can't believe all those characters are dead. So Lash, I wouldn't worry.

The issue felt just really weird; like it cancelled out what happened two issues earlier but all the same characters died, complete with two more deaths--two characters who are major fan favorites.

Reboot's link to the cover of #23 shows the story isn't over. So I'm not too upset about it because it just doesn't feel right. Particularly with each character dying in just a panel with no real moment there.

The whole Kang / Mantis scene earlier in the issue might have something to do with how those deaths are undone I suspect, at least with Mantis and Cosmo.

And why undo the really cool scenes where Phyla, Gamora and Adam all die just to redo them in a crappier way? It doesn't ring right to me.

If this issue is like chapter #3 in a 6 or more issue story, then it actually might not be that bad. But wow, DnA are asking for a lot of faith.

#501518 11/08/09 02:49 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Bringing some of those characters back to cheaply snuff them made the whole thing feel wrong. I really do expect them to be brought back when this timeline is negated, but I really don't care enough to stick around for it.

I just dropped it from my pull-list. The crappy art combined with the increasing lameness of the story is just too much for me to keep spending money on.

#501519 11/08/09 05:23 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Hasn't this been foreshadowed since the start of the series? In one of Mantis' first "post-mission sessions" she speaks of the team being dead in a year at the hands of a traitor.

My only problem with things thus far is Wes Craig's artthen last couple of issues. Wasn't he the artist on the Phylla/Drax/Maelstrom story? I liked the art there... this arc, not so much.

#501520 11/17/09 05:03 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
To follow up the #23 cover, the solicit:

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">From the February 2010 solicits... </span><span class="spoiler_text">GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #23
Written by DAN ABNETT & ANDY LANNING
Penciled by WES CRAIG
Cover by ALEX GARNER
Special Variant by TBA
A REALM OF KINGS TIE-IN—GUEST-STARRING MAGUS! Star-Lord and the Guardians risked everything and suffered terrible losses in their epic, cross-time battle with Adam Warlock’s evil half. Except...everything they—and you—know could be wrong. Welcome to what’s really going on! Welcome to the kingdom of Magus! It’s all waiting for you in the book that has CosmicBookNews.com raving “DnA are mining the Marvel vaults for cosmic characters that have lain dormant for far too long…Guardians of the Galaxy consistently delivers the perfect balance of action, adventure, humor, drama, excitement, and unpredictability.”
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99</span></span>

#501521 11/23/09 12:07 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I just read it, and I agree (even before reading the #23 spoilers) that these deaths won't stick. Kang is obviously up to something, and with all the timelines being mucked with, it seems we've got plenty of deus in the machina awaiting. What appeared to be a rushed ending to a story appears more likely to be an early or middle chapter to a larger epic. I mean come ON--killing off Cosmo? Nuh-uh! Ain't gonna stick!

But, y'know, even if this were for real, I wouldn't be ready to drop the title. It's still good, and at least they didn't kill Groot! smile Non-issue, anyway.

As for the art, little too much on the cartoony side, but I wouldn't call it horrible. Looks like Craig is here for awhile. Guess Paul ain't comin' back, eh? frown

#501522 11/23/09 09:32 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Lardi:
As for the art, little too much on the cartoony side, but I wouldn't call it horrible. Looks like Craig is here for awhile. Guess Paul ain't comin' back, eh? frown
He's off to Incredible Hulk, it seems (that's Pak's Banner & Son book, not Teh Lobe's Red Hulk book, in case anyone's not keeping track).

Oddly enough, I can take Craig better than Walker. Walker's stuff is so... undynamic it's irritating.

#501523 12/07/09 10:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
And with the recent issue, the art seems to have settled down a bit. Same with the violence. For now.

The team gets a moment to recover from WotK, and we seem them dealing with the recent deaths of the team. Everyone has someone they miss, and yet, it doesn't stop them from doing their job. DnA mix those character moments with political drama as well as a bit of set up for ongoing subplots. The Universal Church of Truth is certainly going to require some watching.

Here's hoping the book steers clear of any more cosmic events for a bit and just sticks to the GotG doing what they do - kick some galactic tail.

Just spouting off.
#501524 12/08/09 04:40 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
They certainly took out some key characters - and much as I deplore the never-stay-dead superhero, I wouldn't mind seeing them (or some of them) restored somehow. Always that contradiction; if only they'd just dial down the death rate generally.

However, it might be just as well to bring on some replacements - another talking animal/Cosmo substitute? - establish a new team dynamic and let the readers feel an authentic loss.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#501525 01/04/10 08:14 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The latest issue continues to make GotG readers agonize over the "dead members" by hardly mentioning them at all, but at the same time delivers a pretty solid story.

While the idea of the Fault is in so many titles now it can get a little repetitive, we do see a bit more of what was shown in the Quasar story in the "Realm" one-shot. More importantly, we get some good interaction between Peter and the Luminals, which have interested me thus far.

The issue focused mainly on Moondragon, who I've typically never liked, but DnA do a good job getting across her incredible self-loathing and depression without coming out and saying it. That feeling is very heavy throughout the story.

The story itself felt a little rushed without much happening, but was still a solid effort. Only Peter, Moondragon and Drax do anything of note but its likely by design to step back to a less ensemble story after the previous one (whether it suceeds or not is debatable).

I think at this point GotG needs to kick it back into high gear. Its not bad by any means, but it feels as if its 'slowed down'. If a really solid artist could come on for an extended run, that could be just what it needs.

#501526 01/05/10 08:42 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Now I'm all conflicted. I droppped Guardians after the big kill off, from a combination of disgust at that cheap shot, and fatigue with the crappy art, but Moondragon is (perversely) one of my favorite Marvel characters...

#501527 01/05/10 09:42 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Peversely indeed.

Seen the GotG #24 solicit, perchance?

http://marvel.com/catalog/?id=14303
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #24
A REALM OF KINGS ISSUE! The universe faces one of its greatest evils—and no one can see it coming! The Magus, the necromantic shadow-half of Adam Warlock, is not dead after all...and only a small and hapless band of heroes—heroes who should be dead, too—can stop him! Are they back from the grave permanently, and what will we finally see emerge from the enigmatic coccoon? Find out in the book that ComicsBullentin.com calls “excellent…Abnett and Lanning combine cosmic adventure with gritty combat and a dash of comedy into a wonderful package.” Rated T …$2.99

#501528 01/05/10 05:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This book could really benefit from a floating cast. DnA have managed to really capture everyone they've written here. While I may not like some (Moondragon, Jack Flag,) they aren't poorly written. Having the characters move in and out of the book as the story moves onward is appealing and sensible.

There is a reason this thread mentions the Legion in it's title. Let's see DnA handle a good size cast.

Just spouting off.
#501529 01/12/10 08:18 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'd say they already are. Not fond of the mass death thing, no matter how it gets resolved. I also don't like the aging/youthening bit here anymore than I did in LEGION ON THE RUN. I wonder if it's a device that can actually work? I'm beginning to doubt it...

I like Moondragon better here than I have in *years*. Really, when you think about her, she's almost as much of a direct LSH dupe as any of the Imperial Guard. Unlike most of the Guardsmen, her character is even a sort of commentary about her 'original' (Saturn Girl).

I know I want to see more of Mantis and Cosmo... and I pretty much think that I will.

#501530 02/19/10 08:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
And I did as of #23. Not a second too soon, too, as my interest in this title had begun to fade a bit. Magus and Martyr take centerstage and are booth a bit drama queeny, but the revelations about the 'dead' make up for all of that. Of course, fans of those characters (Magus and Martyr) are probably rolling in catnip. Or are they? I dunno, neither 'speak' to me all that much.

I *was* very glad to read Cosmo, Mantis, etc. (but mainly those two).

#501531 02/21/10 10:19 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Reboot:
[b]Guardians of the Galaxy &#150; DnA also provide one of the best team books in science-fiction ever with GotG; between these two series, DnA are doing science-fiction the way Marvel & DC should have always done it
This is another one which has been slipping, but the newest issue - which I only read today - is the best issue since... oh... around #7, so that may be changing... if it survives. It isn't in the May solicits, and sales have been slipping quite badly (Nova's overtaken it for the first time, but that's by virtue of falling a bit slower).

There's a "Thanos Imperative" one-shot in place of both it AND Nova, granted, but I fear that the writing is on the wall, and event it sets up may take the form of a miniseries to bring the curtain down on DnA's cosmic reign...[/b]
This comment by 'Boot on the "Top 5" thread encouraged me to read GotG first among the newest stack of comics I just picked up yesterday. While I agree the last several issues have been a bit slower for my tastes, I've still enjoyed the series. But I do agree that the latest issue was the best in quite awhile and a nice shot in the arm.

Not only did it bring back all of the characters who have been off-screen (I won't say died because I never for one moment believed they were dead), but it also was an all-around great issue. I particularly liked the GotG interacting with Crystal, Blastaar and the cosmic version of the UN--this is a facet of DnA's cosmic corner that I really love, how they have made the cosmic landscape so vibrant in terms of politics and geography.

Almost all of the Guardians had a few panels that were a great way to reintroduce them to readers. From Bug's amusing few panels to Mantis / Cosmo / Major Victory's guiding force to Phyla, it was well done.

Phyla has never been my favorite but she does serve the plotline well, and DnA seem to like her. I'm glad for her continued presence.

I really hope the series is not in danger of cancellation because its very existence--like Nova--is one of the best things going about the current MU. I like the Inhumans and Imperial Guard minis, sure, but I'd rather drop both those than lose the Guardians. I think artwork has been a major problem. The latest effort was improved, I thought, than in recent issues. Its Oeming-esque style is one I've come to enjoy, and it seems there are several current artists in that mold these days.

#501532 05/16/10 01:47 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Has anyone heard any scuttlebutt about whether this title will continue after the THANOS thing this summer?

#501533 06/07/10 10:57 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well DnA start of on the right foot. They summed up Thanos' story in the the Ingition one shot. We get an idea of our players, and boy are they pretty to look at. I'm bummed that GotG is on hold, but DnA aren't letting us fans go just yet.

Just spouting off.
#501534 01/05/11 08:04 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
SO...

is GotG dead?

unfortunately, I'm not ineterested in any Thanos/Inhumans/War of Whatevers.... just curious if the GotG title as we knew it is gone forever.

#501535 01/05/11 08:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I think it is, at least for now, Lash. However, March will bring a new mini called The Annihilators that will continue DnA's cosmic milieu. And it will have a "Rocket Raccoon and Groot" backup!

#501536 01/09/11 07:12 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yes, GotG is dead. Though The Annhilators are their heirs, sort of.

THE THANOS IMPERATIVE: DEVASTATION One-shot was out this week.

While Blastaar turns on his Inhuman allies (No! What a shocking development! Who could ever have foreseen such a thing?), Cosmo goes on a recruiting drive, fulfilling the last command/request of Starlord. Snippets of Crystal, Namorita and Robbie Rider are included, but the story's about the gathering of The Annhilators (tm). Ronan, Quasar, Silver Surfer, Beta-Ray Bill and the Gladiator are joined by Ikon the Space Knight to form this new team. Fans are calling them the Cosmic Avengers, but they are really more like the Space Defenders, IMO.

Medusa gets a fairly lengthy, if not particularly impressive, fight scene.

The art's nice, but the star of his show is the good dog, Cosmo. All of his interactions are fun to read, particularly those with Starlord, Beta-Ray Bill and Gladiator. His scenes with Ronan/Crystal and Quasar/Namorita left me wanting to read the next panels that didn't appear. Why weren't Crys and 'Rita along at least for the introductory ride? I'm about 1,000 times more interested in them than I am in Ikon. Ah, well- time to open my mind.

The scene worth the cover price is a two-page spread depicting Cosmo surfing the Coalsack Nebula with the Silver Surfer. Sheer delight.

#501537 08/31/11 06:10 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Someone on Facebook mentioned a GotG Volume 2... anyone heard anything? (a quick scan of Google showed nothing new)

#501538 08/31/11 09:01 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
GotG v2 is the DnA series. v1 was the Valentino series (classic, 31st century, GotG).

#501539 08/31/11 09:01 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
GotG v2 is the DnA series. v1 was the Valentino series (classic, 31st century, GotG).

#501540 08/31/11 03:32 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Ah. For a minute I got all excited....

MLLASH #765412 03/10/13 07:53 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
GotG has come back to life.

The first issue (#0.1 - so cute :rolleyes:) gave the family background of Star Lord. Quite a charming story, a bit Luke Skywalker-ish, although just a set up for the main event. On the final page, we see the team (or part of it) together.

At Comixology, you can get the story of Drax for free from Marvel's Infinite line. I grabbed it but haven't read it yet, a review says it's light on dialogue and heavy on action, but, hey, it's free.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
MLLASH #765496 03/11/13 08:21 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I thought the first issue had a strong "getting to know Star Lord" opening. It felt grounded with so much grandiose epic on the horizon. In that sense, the Star Wars comparison is apt.

Beautiful art by McNiven and yet another fantastic Bendis script in Marvel Now. The man has upped his game.

MLLASH #922775 02/28/17 03:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Any fans of the Jim Valentino era of GotG? I'm curious about it because Marvel just released an Omnibus of his work on the book.

Yes, I understand this is the original version of the Guardians featuring the likes of Starhawk, Charlie-27 and Vance Astro, so that's not an issue for me. I'm just curious to see if some people here read the book, could share some thoughts on it and would recommend it or not.

MLLASH #922777 02/28/17 04:28 PM
Active
Active
I enjoyed it, but read it so long ago that I can't really be much more help. I know it annoyed me that it was constantly introducing the 30-th century versions of various main universe concepts instead of focusing on creating unique new ideas, but if that doesn't sound like a hangup you have, it's probably worth giving a shot.

MLLASH #922785 03/01/17 01:55 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
You know, I never read any of these before. But as I've mentioned, in the 90's after my Dad and I cancelled all the Image series, one of the only 2 that survived was Shadowhawk, which I loved and convinced my Dad to continue. That was an entirely Jim Valentino production and I really liked him as a creator (and from what I've read, he's a great person too and someone who helped change Image from what it was in the bad old days to what it is today, the best comic book company in the world).

This was such a crazy time at Marvel, where creators (especially artists) had a lot of freedom to create new characters and ideas and do what they wanted. Results varied from brilliant to horrible and I wonder where this falls?

MLLASH #929871 05/27/17 03:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've been trying to read the pre-movie Guardians comics, the ones that had Phylla-Vell and Moondragon. What'd you guys think of those?

MLLASH #929892 05/27/17 09:31 PM
Active
Active
The ones by Annette and Lanning? I liked them a lot. It's a bit of a commitment, but I would recommend the entire "cosmic-verse" family of titles from Annihilation (technically, from the Drax mini before it) to the departure of DNA.

MLLASH #930404 06/01/17 07:32 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yeah the DnA GotG was one of the best comics Marvel had over the last 15 years, and their Nova series, as well as the Annihilation event(s) where it all came together are also excellent.

Once the film came out and they streamlined the roster and gave it to Bendis, the franchise turned to shit. But the prior DNA stuff is highly recommended.

MLLASH #930412 06/01/17 09:53 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Yep, ANNIHILATION through THANOS IMPERATIVE and the coda in THANOS:DEVASTATION is DnA's Magnum Opus. Worth the effort to delve into.

MLLASH #930521 06/01/17 09:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
My basic standing for Guardian comics right now is that if it doesn't have space lesbians in it I don't give a rat's ass.

And I mean PLURAL. I'm not gonna be happy with just one. I want couples, people!

MLLASH #930673 06/03/17 10:33 AM
Active
Active
Oh, come on; everyone knows there can't be two of something together.

http://www.shortpacked.com/index.php?id=1861

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,938
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Tekwych
Tekwych
New Mexico
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star