Roll Call
1 members (Lard Lad), 16 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:28 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:25 AM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 33 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Re: Random Review Corner
thoth lad #900685 06/21/16 11:59 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Wen I read about Kingdom Come, I'm usually reminded about Moore's Twilight of the Superheroes proposal. And now was one of those times.

IIRC, Moore has dismissed Twilight of the Superheroes as one of those unfortunate stories he wrote (or in this case, outlined) when he was "in a bad mood."

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Dave Hackett #901856 07/04/16 01:26 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Random Reviews...Revealed!

Nameless 1 Image
Two brutal child murders in the opening two pages, and a choice swear word or two. Early indicators of a book that's trying too hard. The jump cut action dreams aren’t quite clever enough to heighten the reader's interest. Neither is the rather tired Moore-lite occult reference droppings. The most interesting thing by half way is the Quitely replacement art of Burnham. The book picks up in the last third, and we get a purpose for the series. Dream agent needed to help save the Earth from occult asteroid. So, there's a bit of cobbling from a few sources, but it's interesting enough to take a look next issue. 3.75

The first issue of Nameless read like a pastiche of Inception, while the second read like a mash-up of 2001 and Event Horizon. Not sure what Morrison is going for here, but it's been a little flat for me. Say what you will about Annihilator's pretentiousness, it's at least more original and is pushing ideas out there.

Went back an re-read Nameless last night. It certainly reads better in one sitting (especially for the art call backs, and the identification of some of the minor characters, which become important in the story's pivotal scene). My initial criticism still stands, in that the underpinning of the story is a mash-up of Event Horizon, Inception and, as it turns out
Angel Heart

That's not to say it's not well done for the story it aspires to be. Burnham said they were going for a straight horror vibe, which they achieve to some extent (in a heavily gross-out way). The ending is intentionally ambiguous, and the Alien presence is menacing, if somewhat derivative, but it was certainly never boring.

Lard Lad #902932 07/16/16 04:37 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Comics I've enjoyed immensely lately:

- Black Widow - it really feels like this may end up the best Widow story ever.

- The Walking Dead - the revitalized TWD continues to nail it month after month. It's as good as it's been in years.

- Stray Bullets - simply mesmerizing. Contender for best series on the market.

- Saga - still living up to the hype years later.

- Silver Surfer - the amazing partnership of Slott and Allred continues to bring out the best in both and it's the best romance Marvel has had in 25 years.

- Archie - I'm still really enjoying the main Archie title by Waid & company. It can be a little geared towards a younger audience a lot of the time but there's a charm and wit to it that reminds me of Waid's Impulse.

- Manifest Destiny - it's such a unique series in so many ways that I'm always interested in where each issue goes.

There's more but those are ones I caught up on recently.

Lard Lad #903042 07/17/16 03:21 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Oddly enough, those are all books I'm still getting that made my recent cut--with the exception of Black Widow. I do intend to get the eventual trades but passed on the first issue after flipping through the first issue. It looked to basically be a full-length action sequence. Nothing wrong with that, per se, but at 4 bucks, it looked a little light on story. When the trade comes out, I know it will be more satisfying. After all Waid and Samnee's run on Daredevil was pretty phenomenal.

I am, however, more severely behind on my monthlies than ever because I've got so many wonderful trades, hardcovers and omnibuses constantly beckoning to me. I haven't been to the CBS since April and my stack o'floppies dates back to about November or December!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #903322 07/20/16 03:39 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lardy, I also found Black Widow #1 lacking. Luckily all the other issues have been much better. But shit, if not for already following the creative team on Daredevil, I'd probably have cancelled it on the spot.

And some additional thoughts:

- caught up the Vision #7-9 and it really is a phenomenal series. It's clear this is something special, and every issue has been great. It's building to something big and I can't wait.

- I caught up on Sex Criminals and I'm glad I did. As I was really going through my recent "comic book depression", I was on the verge of dropping it but held off. And now that I'm reading in a more welcoming state of mind I've immediately found the joy in reading the series again. It's so unique and fresh, and just plain fun. And hilarious. Effing hilarious.

- the latest Astro City was also awesome. I've always been interested in Jack in the Box and we at last get a story delving into Jack's past. It's been a good one too, as Kurt continues to be on his game.

- the only disappointing comic I read is Guardians of the Galaxy. I've noticed this with GotG before, but Bendis really seems to phone it in on this title. It's all action, a few one liners where he tries to replicate the movie and then he just kind of assumes we'll love it because, well, it's GotG. Well not really. I like Bendis more than most but this isn't working. I wish they'd give another writer a shot, especially because it's got Immonen art and also features the Thing and Kitty Pryde, two of my favorites.

Cobalt Kid #903328 07/20/16 04:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Lardy, I also found Black Widow #1 lacking. Luckily all the other issues have been much better. But shit, if not for already following the creative team on Daredevil, I'd probably have cancelled it on the spot.

Nice to see I wasn't wrong about that first issue. I saw some pretty lukewarm reviews of it online. Looking forward to the trade.

- caught up the Vision #7-9 and it really is a phenomenal series. It's clear this is something special, and every issue has been great. It's building to something big and I can't wait.

Volume one is on my "get soon" list. Too much positive buzz for it not to be wort reading.

- I caught up on Sex Criminals and I'm glad I did. As I was really going through my recent "comic book depression", I was on the verge of dropping it but held off. And now that I'm reading in a more welcoming state of mind I've immediately found the joy in reading the series again. It's so unique and fresh, and just plain fun. And hilarious. Effing hilarious.

I'm glad you held off, too! I'm way behind but seriously look forward to it.

- the latest Astro City was also awesome. I've always been interested in Jack in the Box and we at last get a story delving into Jack's past. It's been a good one too, as Kurt continues to be on his game.

Also really behind but AC never disappoints. Even it's "so-so" stories are better than 99% of other comics out there.

Lard Lad #903329 07/20/16 04:32 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Is Doc Strange still going well, btw?

Lard Lad #903346 07/21/16 12:42 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
That is actually at the top of my pile but I haven't gotten to it yet!

Lard Lad #903511 07/22/16 07:13 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
A few more random thoughts to close out the last few weeks worth of non-Rebirth titles I've been reading:

Dr. Strange remains pretty good though like most of Aaron's Marvel work, it's sometimes feels like its missing a little something on a monthly basis. I suspect it reads even better as a TPB.

Nowhere Men from Image is another series I'm glad I stuck with, as I continue to enjoy it quite a bit. The cast is huge and the story has gotten very swollen, but I don't mind it so much. At times Stephenson skirts being a little socially preachy but he never really goes there (thankfully). Overall though, the story is interesting and the various characters are fascinating.

The Goddamned by Aaron and RM Guerra is really just batshit insane right now as it continues its first arc. It's hard to get a sense of the series yet other than its interesting as hell and different than anything else or anything I expected.

Amazing Spider-Man - I'm still enjoying ASM by Slott quite a bit. The current status quo isn't my favorite but Slott is making it work and keeping it interesting. Clearly there is a long term plan here--to bring Peter 'back to Earth' and remember who he is--and you can see that peculating already. Honestly, even the issue to issue plots and larger "arc" plots don't matter as much as the fact that Slott just writes Peter better than anyone else.

War Stories by Garth Ennis & friends remains a series I enjoy, though as expected, it varies arc to arc. This latest one was not my favorite, but I may have not been in the right frame of mind to read it as it was coming out. I'll see what the next one holds.

I am waiting to read Morning Glories #50 until I have time to devote to it, though I expect to enjoy it as I've done with the entire series so far.

I dropped Cinema Purgatorio after I discovered it was $4.99 per month. I'm sure Moore and O'Neal's stories are fantastic, but I can't shell out that much each month for B&W stories from creators I'm not sure about (and some I just am not keen on at all).

I still love Archie and Afterlife with Archie. I dropped Jughead after two issues and recently droppped Sabrina.

Marvel has royally effed up Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and the Avengers, not to mention the X-Men, to the point where all of them are unreadable. So I'm not going to read them. Daredevil also just fell flat the minute Waid and Samnee left, which is a shame. In my current state of mind, all I would really need is for it to be entertaining--I don't need it to be 'best of best' material. But none of these are even remotely entertaining right now.

Cobalt Kid #903549 07/22/16 04:48 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving

Marvel has royally effed up.

Unbeatable SQUIRREL GIRL is currently the only Marvel title I'm collecting...

Pov #903552 07/22/16 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Pov

Marvel has royally effed up.

Unbeatable SQUIRREL GIRL is currently the only Marvel title I'm collecting...

"Point/Counterpoint", with the Madwoman and the Hippie:

I actually think Marvel's upcoming lineup is their most promising in ten years. I'm especially excited about the Kate Bishop solo Hawkeye book, written by my girl Kelly Thompson (and to anyone who hasn't checked out Kelly's Jem comic, my recommendation of it from the past still stands.)

Cobalt Kid #903725 07/25/16 06:41 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Online Content
Time Trapper
L
The Goddamned by Aaron and RM Guerra is really just batshit insane right now as it continues its first arc. It's hard to get a sense of the series yet other than its interesting as hell and different than anything else or anything I expected.

I finally picked up the four available issues last Wednesday at my CBS. Obviously, I haven't read them yet, but I look forward to it. I'm concerned, though, about its release history. I'm not sure if they're going for 3-issue arcs followed by a break or if the fourth issues was just that late.

Amazing Spider-Man - I'm still enjoying ASM by Slott quite a bit. The current status quo isn't my favorite but Slott is making it work and keeping it interesting. Clearly there is a long term plan here--to bring Peter 'back to Earth' and remember who he is--and you can see that peculating already. Honestly, even the issue to issue plots and larger "arc" plots don't matter as much as the fact that Slott just writes Peter better than anyone else.

I finally just read the first two issues of the latest ASM volume. Issue 1's lead story was fantastic! (The back-ups amounted to teases for series I'm uninterested in.) I especially loved the inclusion of Hobie Brown as a regular cast member.

It's a little weird to see Pete with all these resources all of a sudden. Issue 2's kinda goofy underwater infiltration really underlined that. But it was helped by giving Hobie even more to do.

Sight unseen, I'd already decided to switch to trades on ASM after the first arc because of the cover price and it being more than monthly. It's probably still the right call, but I have a lot of enthusiasm for ASM after those 2 issues.

War Stories by Garth Ennis & friends remains a series I enjoy, though as expected, it varies arc to arc. This latest one was not my favorite, but I may have not been in the right frame of mind to read it as it was coming out. I'll see what the next one holds.

Oddly enough, my CBS only had thru issue 18 in my pull. Doing some research, maybe they forgot to order it because there have been more issues. I may use that to my advantage and convert to trades since the last collection went thru 15. There'll be some cost savings, and I won't have to struggle with recalling all the characters and circumstances during my frequent sabbaticals from floppy reading.

Still a good, satisfying series without a doubt.

I still love Archie and Afterlife with Archie. I dropped Jughead after two issues and recently droppped Sabrina.

I only get the horror books after sampling Archie and Jughead. Though I haven't read the latest issues, I'm surprised that you dropped Sabrina. Those first 3-4 issues were very satisfying, imo.

I will say, though, that just having read Archie #3 the other day, it was the best issue of the series thus far and really gave me a moment of regret of discontinuing and not seeing what happened next. It was the issue where Veronica hits Riverdale High and was pure comedy gold.

Lard Lad #903729 07/25/16 07:14 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yeah, I've really enjoyed Archie and feel that it's gotten better as it goes as Waid has found a nice rhythm to the characters and pacing. Even though Fiona left, the art has been consistently good too!

Sabrina just wasn't doing it for me for some reason. I hemmed and hawed and probably stuck around 2 issues longer than I'd have liked to. Hard to pinpoint why exactly. With Afterlife I'm just so hooked on the art, and I think maybe I'm just not getting that with Sabrina.

And yeah, I knew you'd love seeing Hobie too! He's such a favorite of mine that it was a literal cheer moment to see him in that role. Slott all around just continues to nail it in regards to the entire supporting cast, which is probably why ASM is just heads and tails above most the rest of Marvel.

Lard Lad #906056 08/18/16 04:24 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Klaus finished up this week. What a strange little comic. Take the plot of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town", blend it with Conan, throw in some demons and strange mystical beings and you get Klaus. It's a book that seems absurd, but Morrison plays it straight, which heightens the absurdity in a way. It's a unique vibe, but I liked it.

Lard Lad #906064 08/18/16 07:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think the superhero comics are going through a lull ...

I get All New Avengers but it is fizzling for me ... the art is usually good though.

Otherwise I like Thor and Dr Strange and Spider Man, all stories that seem to hark back to characters everyday people can relate to .. "what if i had super powers" rather than the big action movie comics that are popular now. plus the art on all three is gorgeous. Thor has new characters, an evil Minotaur and a new Silver Samurai that are cool.

Not really getting any DC comics, the last relaunch has fizzled for me already, i kinda miss getting Black Canary and Dr Fate but they weren't worth the price for me.

I get Uncanny X-Men when Greg Land draws it but even then it's not really good.

I guess Marvel is doing one character issues on its books during Civil War 2? Not feeling it.

That said some of the non superhero books are just friction spectacular now! (if a bit written for a possible tv show in the future)

Lard Lad #906075 08/18/16 07:54 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Ah Also, an Alan Davis issue on Cho-Hulk has led me to try Cho-Hulk ... the past few were good!

The last one was by the designer of WeirdWorld who is a m a z i n g.

LOW is also a brilliantly drawn comic, can be a bit muddy but they are underwater. Lots of intense action.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Power Boy; 08/18/16 07:55 AM.
Cobalt Kid #906152 08/18/16 04:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yeah, I've really enjoyed Archie and feel that it's gotten better as it goes as Waid has found a nice rhythm to the characters and pacing. Even though Fiona left, the art has been consistently good too!

Yep. I've ended up buying every issue. I should add it to my list.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Power Boy #906213 08/19/16 05:30 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally Posted by Power Boy
I think the superhero comics are going through a lull ...

I get All New Avengers but it is fizzling for me ... the art is usually good though.

Otherwise I like Thor and Dr Strange and Spider Man, all stories that seem to hark back to characters everyday people can relate to .. "what if i had super powers" rather than the big action movie comics that are popular now. plus the art on all three is gorgeous. Thor has new characters, an evil Minotaur and a new Silver Samurai that are cool.

Not really getting any DC comics, the last relaunch has fizzled for me already, i kinda miss getting Black Canary and Dr Fate but they weren't worth the price for me.

I get Uncanny X-Men when Greg Land draws it but even then it's not really good.

I guess Marvel is doing one character issues on its books during Civil War 2? Not feeling it.

That said some of the non superhero books are just friction spectacular now! (if a bit written for a possible tv show in the future)
I agree that almost all of Marvel's superhero comics have just totally shit the bed. They've all become such bitter disappointments.

On the other hand, though, DC has really impressed me so far with Rebirth. I've been as anti-DC as any the last few years because, frankly, the company has been terrible for almost a decade and a half now. But they've finally made some breakthroughs.

Outside of the big 2, the only other really good superhero comic is Astro City, which is still great, and Invincible, which I admittingly have not kept up on. I know others have tried, but it seems that "superheroes" really only equates to the Big 2.

Lard Lad #906214 08/19/16 05:44 AM
^^I'm still looking forward to Marvel's Kate-Bishop-as-solo-Hawkeye comic book, written by Kelly ("Jem and the Holograms") Thompson.

Lard Lad #906217 08/19/16 06:01 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yeah, Marvel does have some bright spots: I really like Amazing Spider-Man, Black Widow and the Vision, and I absolutely love Silver Surfer. Dr. Strange isn't bad and hopefully Hawkeye will be good.

But what kills me is that like 92.5% of their output is awful. I know since I read them occasionally to see that Daredevil, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, the X-books, the Avengers books, Hulk, and all their even crappier spin off books are just not very good. Something else else is just very wrong at the company right now. It's hard to even find the good stuff amongst all the crap.

Lard Lad #906226 08/19/16 06:27 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
MOON GIRL AND DEVIL DINOSAUR is great... forgot that one, as I'm getting it in trades...

Cobalt Kid #906232 08/19/16 07:57 AM
Yeah, Marvel does have some bright spots: I really like Amazing Spider-Man, Black Widow and the Vision, and I absolutely love Silver Surfer. Dr. Strange isn't bad and hopefully Hawkeye will be good.

But what kills me is that like 92.5% of their output is awful. I know since I read them occasionally to see that Daredevil, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, the X-books, the Avengers books, Hulk, and all their even crappier spin off books are just not very good. Something else else is just very wrong at the company right now. It's hard to even find the good stuff amongst all the crap.

That something wrong can be summed up in two simple words: Axel Alonso. I never thought I'd actually end up missing Joe Quesada as EiC, but life is funny that way. shake

Lard Lad #906234 08/19/16 08:29 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
No arguments here. Everyone can say all the want about Joe Q, and I know I have, but the proof is in the pudding. When he was EiC, the product was better from an aggregate perspective of the entire line. Under Alonso, the product is just an ocean of shit, with little islands of something good struggling not to be consumed.

Lard Lad #906240 08/19/16 11:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The new Civil War story is nonsense ... about two groups fighting over a precogs ability to prevent violence ... a lot of misuse of the term profiling .. and Tony Stark on the opposite side of the debate as he was in the first Civil War ...

what's more ... its just plain boring ... each issue is like two people talking the whole time.

AND IM A SUCKER FOR BIG SUPER HERO CROSS OVERS!

(my recommendation is no)

I'm still reading Spider Gwen .. she is charming but I might dither off soon.

Lard Lad #906242 08/19/16 11:47 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
A couple offbeat things I got were good .... both got under my skin.

4 KIDS WALK INTO A BANK.

I'm not sure how to describe it ... its like Freaks and Geeks with Neo Nazi looking bad guys .. and a mystery involving one of the kid's dads. But I thought it was super fun. Art is the scribbly style. I guess these young rejects, that play Dungeons and Dragons are gonna rob a bank.

STRANGE ATTRACTORS

It has a vibe like a 70s film in a university setting.

Via ComiXology:

"Writer Charles Soule (Daredevil, Civil War) crafted a mind-bending story about how chaos math kept New York City from collapsing under itself. Presented for the first time as a limited series, each oversized issue of Strange Attractors features 30 pages of content, including new, never-before-seen bonus story pages. What It Is: Dr. Brownfield believes that a series of cataclysmic events are coming to New York City, and someone has to keep the city safe after he’s gone. Enter Heller Wilson, a brilliant mathematics student, who discovers that his ailing, perhaps insane, mentor has been saving New York City from societal collapse by a series of “adjustments,” a la the Butterfly Effect. But now, all signs point toward an impending disaster. Can Wilson take what little he’s learned and save the city in time?"

they get the theory a bit wrong in my opinion ... which bugs the crap outta me ... but I'm still hooked so it must be good right.

Last edited by Power Boy; 08/19/16 11:51 AM.
Page 29 of 33 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,931
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Tekwych
Tekwych
New Mexico
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star