Roll Call
0 members (), 333 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 12:20 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/28/24 11:47 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:44 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 24 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24
Re: The Walking Dead Army - Recruiting New Zombies
#506339 07/31/12 02:13 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
In hindsight I think Kirkman HAD to kill who he did in issue 100. Maybe not that specific character, but any one of the handful who've been among the core group since, well, forever. After a certain character survived what appeared to be certain death last year, it was beginning to look like those characters were invincible. In a world such as this one, NO one is truly safe. To prove it to us and to himself, Kirkman HAD to do what he did in 100 and in the ugliest, most brutal way possible. Otherwise, TWD loses a big part of what makes it appealing.

Undeniably, it hurts a lot for us longtime fans of this book. I honestly don't know who else among the Big Five I would've chosen to die instead. I'm pretty damned attached to all of them. None of them is a safe choice. And that's why it had to happen.
So, a few days later (and I haven't stopped thinking about it) and I agree with Lardy's post on the previous page. TWD was gradually approaching being a 'safe' title that was almost becoming formulaic. Something else else like this had to happen.

It doesn't make it any less difficult on the readers, for sure. This was probably the hardest moment of the series for me to read thus far, and as we all know, there have been some real tough ones.

It is certainly a turning point though. For the first time in a long while, it feels like the series is unsafe and going in a direction I can't fathom.

I think at the end of the day, this is Robert Kirkman's vision and our opinions on where he takes it should not count for that much. He needs to stay true to it, even if it's damn ugly. In light of his achieving success beyond imagining in the last 12 months, this must be a way for him to reclaim total control of his most important property.

But, man. It sucks. I'm really going to miss that character. I feel like I've lost a friend.

#506340 07/31/12 04:18 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Personally, I do not think Kirkman is done with the terror in this arc..

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#506341 07/31/12 05:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
'Formulaic' is the perfect word, Cobie... TWD was absolutely a foot in that doorway already.

But yeah, I agree Dev, we may have seen NOTHING yet.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#506342 07/31/12 05:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
grumpy Power Boy will not agree that the Walking Dead is no longer safe and formulaic UNTIL they kill Rick and that little dog of his!

<--- temper tantrum

#506343 07/31/12 06:20 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
^He's so cute when he throws a tantrum. wink

#506344 07/31/12 06:24 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'll actually be shocked if both Rick and Carl escape this arc unscathed...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#506345 07/31/12 06:34 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I think the thing about <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Glenn</span></span> which makes him/her so hard to lose (other than being there so long and the brutal death) is <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">that he was our "everyman" character in the cast. He was someone that we could relate to and who reacted similarly to how we think we might in this extreme situation.</span></span> The good news is <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">he's still in the show being portrayed by a wonderful actor. Hopefully, Kirkman will let him stick around for a while!</span></span>

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#506346 07/31/12 06:40 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by lowercase mllash:
I'll actually be shocked if both Rick and Carl escape this arc unscathed...
I'd be shocked if they don't escape (relatively) unscathed. As much of a "no one is safe" notice that latest death was, you could argue that Carl (probably) and Rick (definitely)are THE two main characters of the series. If one of them gets it, you'll TRULY know that anything can happen.

#506347 07/31/12 06:47 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Lardy (and others who know who we're talking about...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I think he did it exactly with that as part of the reason. The character is well represented on television. This gave him a chance to kill a longstanding character in the book...which let's face it, he had to for all the reasons listed above. It also gave him a chance to flex his evil writing muscle to remind us who's boss.

It also gave him a way to shock the hell out of any new readers that may have jumped over from the show. Not sure how many there are, but if you just started reading...even starting at the beginning, how shocked would you be to have Glenn die that soon (for new readers flying through the trades) for you?</span></span>

That's just my opinion though. Your mileage may vary.

#506348 07/31/12 07:55 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I think the moment to kill Rick has passed. It may come again, but doing so within the next 30 issues just won't have the momentous feeling it should.

So sorry Blacuka & Peebs. I think Rick is here until at least 2017. laugh

#506349 08/01/12 06:30 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
But isn't that when Rick should buy it...when it isn't an event. Just some random thing?

#506350 08/01/12 10:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
word. true dat.

#506351 08/19/12 01:21 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Anybody read #101 yet? I haven't been to my CBS this week... curious what the immediate aftermath of #100 is...

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#506352 08/24/12 10:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I did, last night!! Good issue-- SPOILERS FOLLOW!

Maggie and Sophia get left at the Hilltop, but not before Sophia has the best scene she's had since the series debut, involving putting ever-annoying Carl in his place!

Also, an off-panel battle happened between the hordes of New-enemy-guy and the Community.

A surprise capture is revealed at the end!

#506353 08/31/12 10:34 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I did pick up 101, and was surprised how nothing new happened ... and more than that, the crew was set back to the same situation they were in in issue 99.

#506354 09/19/12 07:44 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
RE: Issue #102

This is a definite change of pace issue with some touching and revealing character moments for several cast members. Is this issue a game changer? I was thinking so up until the last page....

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#506355 09/19/12 08:06 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I enjoyed issue 102. I liked that all was not exactly as it seemed by that last page. It would have frankly made sense if the pre-last page scenario was the course of action being set up under the circumstances. Little confused why Rick would go through all that hand-wringing and deception with his inner circle, though.

#506356 10/10/12 05:18 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Um, I guess I feel a little ripped off after buying the Michonne Special. The first few pages are just a reprint of the Playboy strip. Adlard's art for the rest of issue isn't up to his usual standard, and there really isn't that much new information or insight.

Recommended only for the most diehard TWD completists.

#506357 10/10/12 06:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I got it today, but I didn't already have the PLAYBOY, so I'm cool with it.

#506358 10/17/12 05:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
RE: Issue 103

The threat is real. We're in on the plan but most of the cast is not. Watching their reactions builds a unique kind of tension. Negan provokes with his parting shot.

#506359 11/15/12 12:23 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Hmmm....what to say about issue 104?

Spoiler-free, I'd have to say that what Carl does in that issue is a borderline jumping-the-shark moment. Also, the immediate consequences or apparent lack thereof.

Not sure at all what to think about this issue. shrug

#506360 11/17/12 07:08 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm having mixed thoughts on #104, as well. It didn't seem to have the emotional punch that it should have. Carl certainly has gotten himself into a mess.

#506361 12/11/12 12:46 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I liked 104 but I certainly can see the worry that this is a borderline jumping the shark moment. I guess it all depends on the resolution. And I really don't want anything terrible to happen to Carl, either. With Carl so well done on the show, I keep hoping Kirkman will slowly make Carl a little more like his real life counterpart.

It is hard for me to accept Rick even play acting as such a pushover. I know that is Kirkman's intent, but it's annoying the hell out of me. Even Michonne's passiveness is alarming.

With the loss of two pretty major characters in recent months, we really could use some growth for the supporting cast outside of Rick / Andrea / Carl / Michonne. And Heath & his girlfriend aren't doing it--I still can't see them as anything other than cannon fodder.

#506362 12/25/12 09:36 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
105 was an interesting look into Negans stronghold and his power over his Saviors.

We see something that they have not shown in a while, and I noticed that Carl followed what Negan said regarding it as they went to do the unpleasant ironing business. Negan suggested something about it earlier in the issue and Carl did it. Interesting.

Also, Negan 'dancing' while someone sang was hilarious and disturbing at the same time.

Dev-Em #783589 08/16/13 02:20 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I must say that the last 3 issues have been pretty damned spot-on as far as the palpable tension and edge-of-seat suspense!

Negan and crew come to the Community for their regular supply raid. When one of Community regulars comes to Negan with a proposition, Negan has an unexpected and violent response. When Rick returns, he hears of this and figures he's had enough of Negan. Rick decides to strike at Negan's group as they're leaving, thinking they are vulnerable. Rick is wrong.

I'm enjoying this sequence a lot. Kirkman could have stretched things out and had nothing but set-up leading into the upcoming "All-Out War" six-month, biweekly event but instead gives us quite the thriller that feels pretty damn climactic itself. And #113 gives us quite the cliffhanger, while, thankfully, confirming the survival of another character who takes quite the beating during the course of the issue.

This mini-storyline is doing a good job with showing what a deep threat Negan is. The fact that he has back-up plans when doing his raids shows he's more than just a bully. Yeah, he is that, but he also has a good mind for strategy. He's no one's fool.

What is harder to swallow is his obsession with Lucille. I got the feeling in earlier stories that he was putting on that obsession for his "audience", but when something happens to Lucille this issue, you start to get the feeling the obsession is real.

In any case it's hard to see Negan working on the TV show without his trademark overuse of the F-word. I mean, what's the point if we can never hear him utter the words, “Here I am, friendly as a fuckless fuck on free fuck day.” grin

It's interesting that we get a conflict before the upcoming biweekly arc with all the set-up with Ezekiel and Jesus over the last year. In fact it was a misstep on Rick's part to initialize something before all those plans come together. But it's also completely understandable. Rick's the true leader of the Community and couldn't stand for what Negan had done. Plus, he (mistakenly) felt he might actually have an advantage striking when he thought Negan was vulnerable. Next issue, we'll see if the other three lined up with him, again on their knees, will pay the price...and possibly Carl if Negan gets his way.

Good stuff after what was feeling like a pretty bad stretch in the series. I'm curious, though, as to what fellow readers think about Ezekiel...and his tiger.

Page 21 of 24 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,288
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ricardo
Ricardo
Brasil
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star