Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 11:13 AM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 11:13 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 04/19/24 10:51 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20
Re: Birds of Prey
#509750 06/10/11 11:56 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
I think it might be Rose & Thorn.
That thought occurred to me as well. The hairstyle seems to fit the Thorn. Would seem strange to have both her and Ivy on the team, though. The Thorn doesn't have plant powers, but they have had similar looks over the years.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#509751 06/11/11 12:27 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
nope

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">someone, in Bleeding Cool, that this girl is a new character named Ev (Starling?)...........that she and Black Canary are working together to recruit....let me get back to you soon with the quote. </span></span>

here i'm back....here it is....
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">BIRDS OF PREY #1

Written by DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI

Art and cover by JESUS SAIZ

On sale SEPTEMBER 21 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

One is wanted for a murder she didn’t commit. The other is on the run because she knows too much. They are Dinah Laurel Lance and Ev Crawford – a.k.a. Black Canary and Starling – and together, as Gotham City’s covert ops team, they’re taking down the villains other heroes can’t touch. But now they’ve attracted the attention of a grizzled newspaper reporter who wants to expose them, as well as a creepy, chameleon-like strike team that’s out to kill them.

Don’t miss the start of this hard-hitting new series from mystery novelist/comics writer Duane Swierczynski (Expiration Date, Cable).</span></span>

smile

#509752 06/11/11 09:51 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm on the fence on this leaning towards a pass. No Oracle is feeling more and more like a deal-breaker.

I do love Saiz's art though, so there's always the chance I'll pick it up off the rack. But I know my CBS will be looking to pull lists to help get a sense of what to order with 52 #1's, and in BoP's case, I won't be helping.

#509753 06/11/11 10:08 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I also really haven't been enjoying Poison Ivy's use over recent years as a quasi-protagonist. I'm not against reforming villains, but nothing they've done with Ivy has worked for me. Saiz has done a terrific job on his issues with Gail. That and his phenomenal work on B&B are the biggest temptation for me.

I figure it won't be on my pull. But I'll watch the reviews. If they're glowing, I'll buy it off the rack.

#509754 06/11/11 10:12 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Why is Black Canary in the DCnU? Mr. Terrific, at least the 'third smartest man in the world' version, was never an Earth 2 character... Hawkman's origins don't even matter anymore... but Dinah's pretty rooted in WW2 origins- even if it they are, retroactively, a generation removed.

It's those origins that make her such a 'well-connected' bridge-building type character that functions in almost every corner of the old DCU. I can't really imagine her without those associations. And don't really want to.

#509755 06/11/11 10:18 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lardy, agree 100% on Ivy's usage these last few years.

(I feel like I've been saying that a lot lately with your thoughts on comics and music! Which means you really have great taste! laugh )

#509756 06/17/11 04:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Broke my comics lovin' heart to leave this book off my new september pull.

Broke my LCS's heart too.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#509757 08/17/11 09:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The relaunched BoP is over.

I had ups and downs with this run-- mainly the revolving artists-- but I'm glad I read it.

I wasn't expecting much from a Simone-less final 2 issues but they turned out to be an enjoyable "done-in-2" mixing up the past with the present.

And I love Sandra from way back in the FREEDOM FIGHTERS days, so yay that!!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#509758 09/24/11 08:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The all-new all-now BOP is here...

And it did not suck.

Katana looked GREAT on the cover!!

I think I am unfamiliar with Starling.

I'm in for # 2.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#509759 10/02/11 12:33 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
One of the hardest DCnU relaunches for me to accept is Birds of Prey. Of all the series, I feel that one got the shaft the most (perhaps Wally West being equal, though the lack of mention of him leaves the door open for some sort of saving grace). But Birds has lost Barbara—and #1 confirms that completely—and it also loses the chemistry between Babs and Dinah. And on top of all that, its lost Huntress and Lady Blackhawk, both of whom I loved. It seems very unfair.

That being said, I was delighted to find Birds of Prey #1 to be quite good. Duane Swierczynski is a great writer with female street level heroes and it shows here; and artist Jesus Saiz is utterly fantastic (as proven by his Brave & Bold run with JMS) so his artwork here is just killer. It was a well paced issue that did a good job introducing Black Canary & Starling, gave some ass-kicking action (a BOP *MUST*) and then a great cliffhanger ending.

The issue was good enough, in fact, to keep me around for the next several. I’m not thrilled about Poison Ivy being a member, but Kitana is a good fit. Starling was actually quite likable and interesting thus far. And of course, Black Canary is a longtime favorite. Here, she is written as formidable and competent as she’s always been and that’s welcome.

But I have to just gripe one more time. Barbara was clearly never Oracle in the sense that she formed the BOP and had that relationship with Dinah. And that’s perhaps the biggest single loss to the entire DCnU. It is *not* worth having Batgirl for that. There was no BOP prior to this it looks like, so Huntress’ relationship with them both also looks like its out. And Lady Blackhawk may not even be around anymore after the 1950’s (if the original Blackhawks still even exist—I haven’t gotten to their title yet). That’s a tough loss.

Cobie Comparison: did I enjoy BoP #1 more than JL #1? Yes, it was a bit better overall. I’ll definitely keep reading but the sting of it all will take quite awhile to go away.

#509760 10/04/11 09:40 PM
Active
Active
CK, you couldn't have said it better. Reading that scene between Dinah and Babs was a bitter pill to swallow.

#509761 10/04/11 10:44 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I guess I didn't read too much into the Dinah / Babs scene, other than that their relationship SEEMED strained, emphasis on seemed, because for some reason it kind of felt like an act. I completely understand how hard it is to read a book like this, when you feel like the previous regime did it so perfectly, and now it seems to be starting over (see Blue Beetle). To Duane's credit, he seems to be trying to give the book a new motivation that can distinguish itself and stand on it's own. Maybe I read too much into that, since I didn't really follow the original BoP, given my preference for Batgirl and dislike of the Oracle identity. Sorry. I have to say I really enjoyed Starling. Is this a completely new character? Her voice was quite interesting and distinctive, on the one hand, a total bada$$ with great sexual banter, on the other, genuinely upset about demolishing a nice old church. Maybe it's just my fondness for Victorian corsets warn as body armor, but I liked her.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#509762 10/29/11 01:41 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Birds of Prey #2 cemented the series status of being among the very best of the DCnU. In fact, after only two issues, the series is clearly better than it's been since Gail's first run (her second being mediocre and McKeever's being outright weak).

Swierczynski writes one hell of a Black Canary, showing her as a capable, intelligent leader. And Starling continues to be a likable welcome addition. Saiz's art is crisp and gorgeous with fantastic superhero energy.

The intro to Kitana joining was fantastic. Tatsu is appropriately a major badass and this is captured wonderfully. Love the talking to her dead husband quirk and her not hesitating to slice & dice the bad guys. It sucks that there is no Oracle (or Huntress and Lady Blackhawk) but at least they are moving on full steam to build a different team.

I'm not so thrilled about Poison Ivy showing up and hope it's temporary but I'm willing to give it a shot since the series has been so good so far.

Spellbinder #903211 07/19/16 10:49 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
For BoP fans attending SDCC this weekend, Gayle Simone posted the following on FB:
"2:00-3:00 PANEL: 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE BIRDS OF PREY (Room 28DE):
I am SO EXCITED for this panel. Both of the co-creators of the series plus a bunch of key writers, talking about my favorite book ever. DON’T MISS THIS ONE!"

BIRD IS THE WORD!! love

Spellbinder #903246 07/19/16 02:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That sounds awesome.
I am SOOOO eagerly awaiting the new BOP tomorrow!

Spellbinder #914922 11/03/16 04:07 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So my thoughts on B & BOP can be summed up as:

- I'm loving the interplay between Babs, Dinah and Helena here. Not the same dynamic as the old universe, but this Helena Bertilini Huntress interacting with the other Birds has been gold so far.

- I'm also loving the story too, and think so far its been a really good superhero mystery that presents the Birds as an ass-kicking fighting force while not trying to beat you over the head with it.

- The only thing I don't love is the art. In so many places it seems a bit ugly. All of the characters, the men included, have moments of just looking muddled or sloppy. I wish they could tighten that up, or find someone with a more pleasant style.

Overall though, I'm enjoying this series!

Spellbinder #915254 11/05/16 01:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Helena has been surprisingly good in this launch. I was DREADING her interactions with the BoP team yet it's so good

The art is a disaster

Spellbinder #915341 11/06/16 01:15 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I'm getting an AEON FLUX vibe to the art... that's not a good thing. Same way I feel reading my buddy Mike's FLASH comics. Too... European?

Still loving the story and the characters.

Spellbinder #915343 11/06/16 03:35 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I feel the exact same way on Flash: wonderful story, excellent characters and characterization, but the art is terribly scratchy.

Spellbinder #940995 11/22/17 01:27 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So one of the best things of the last few months has been this latest story in Birds of Prey, which is only 2 issues in. All the men in Gotham are sick / under attack so the Birds have to save them--only this time with an extended cast to help! It's the ultimate team-up / snapshot of today's DC superheroines and also features Wonder Woman, Lois Lane, Batwonan, the various Bat-related girls, Harley & Ivy, Catwoman, Montoya and others. All of them have been used perfectly, and seeing them all interact like this is a treat. Plus we get Green Arrow in a supporting role (while most of the Gotham centric men are sick and in peril, including Bats and Nightwing).

BOP has been great but this story feels extra special. Writing and art are point, and it feels like a "mini-Crisis" featuring an all women team (without being overly obvious about it).

Highly, highly recommended. They're all shining, especially the Birds, but I think Lois and Batwoman especially shine too.

Spellbinder #941161 11/27/17 08:41 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
It's good to hear that BoP is still going strong, Cobie! That first Rebirth BoP trade (the second hasn't been released yet) was one of the most pleasant surprises of the whole initiative. The dialogue, characterization and interaction were all delightful and on-point. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to read good comics, not just good female-starring and -written comics (which it also is)!

Spellbinder #974053 07/17/19 11:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Brian Azzarello is getting his hands on the BOP and it's only gonna have Dinah, Helena, and Harley Quinn

I'm so sorry

Spellbinder #974055 07/18/19 12:05 AM
Active
Active
Is Suicide Squad gone, or is Harley on two teams now?

Spellbinder #1029636 09/06/23 04:31 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
BoP has just been relaunched, and the writer is my girl Kelly Thompson!

I''ve never been a fan of BoP, but I will definitely check out the first issue.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Ann Hebistand #1029917 09/14/23 10:42 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
BoP has just been relaunched, and the writer is my girl Kelly Thompson!

I''ve never been a fan of BoP, but I will definitely check out the first issue.

Okay. I thought I might like it, but I never expected to LOVE it!

It's Dinah without Barbara, but with Cassandra, Big Barda, and Zealot...and Harley Quinn (but Kelly makes it work, honest!)

I had never heard of Leonardo Romero, but he has exactly the kind of solid, versatile, unpretentious style that I favor.

Yeah, I'm in!

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,853
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
My Whee Fem
My Whee Fem
Security Office Lobby
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star