Roll Call
0 members (), 14 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/24/24 12:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:53 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:50 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Re: Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl
#517764 09/08/11 07:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just noticed the numbers on the tops of the police cars on Action #1's cover. 19 and 38, the year of the original Action #1.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#517765 09/08/11 08:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Nothing else to say that hasn't been said. Art...story...it's all amazing.

Buy it.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#517766 09/09/11 08:32 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Outside of his JLA and Legion appearances, I've never really been a Superman fan or picked up any of his titles. That will be changing now thanks to Action Comics #1. It was a solid read! I second the writing, art, and introductions as being top notch.

Even as an "old fan," DCNu has managed to make me a new one for some of its titles so far. This almost feels like a stronger introduction to the new 'verse than Justice League did.

#517767 09/11/11 06:25 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Nothing else to say that hasn't been said. Art...story...it's all amazing.

Buy it.
What he said...

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#517768 09/11/11 10:49 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
The title I’ve been most excited about was Action Comics #1 and I couldn’t wait to dive into it. And I was pleasantly surprised to see that despite my high expectations, I was still totally blown away by how much I enjoyed the issue!

Grant Morrison, whom I’ve always loved, is definitely putting in 100% effort here to make the ‘new’ Superman memorable and meaningful. And if he keeps it up, I know he’s going to succeed. The clear fact is that I enjoyed this issue more than any other Superman ongoing series in the last 15 years. A change had to be made and it was right of them to do it.

Rag Morales does an unbelievable a job on the art. I’ve always liked his style too, even the quirks (his eyes are sometimes weirdly uneven). I hope he can keep a monthly schedule because he really seems to get what Morrison is doing and is enhancing it everywhere he can.

I love the entire premise / sentiment of the Superman myth being presented here. Superman being a defender of the common man from the elite fits right in with the original concept Siegel and Schuster intended. Its about damn time to get back to Superman’s real roots. Morrison is right on in his interpretation of a poor farm boy from Kansas being the ultimate working class hero.

I’m thrilled the series takes place 5 years earlier and we’ll see the early Superman develop (while in the Superman series we see his current, modern status quo). The powers, the costume, the naïve/cocky attitude—it all works for me.

Lex appears to be spot-on, and I’m anxious to get to know Lois and Jimmy all over again. Morrison in just a few pages seems to have redefined Jimmy & Clark’s relationship and I love him for that. He said in an interview that he likes the competent, capable Jimmy that perhaps bites off more than he can chew and YES!, that is exactly how it should be.

As a #1 issue, this issue delivered in every way possible. Even with so many pages with no dialogue, I still felt like this dumped a tremendous amount of story & information to the reader which I what I require. Action Comics may be shaping up as DC’s best comic I suspect.

Cobie Comparison: Did I enjoy it more than Justice League #1? Oh yes.

#517769 09/11/11 05:09 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

#517770 09/11/11 05:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I love the entire premise / sentiment of the Superman myth being presented here. Superman being a defender of the common man from the elite fits right in with the original concept Siegel and Schuster intended. Its about damn time to get back to Superman’s real roots. Morrison is right on in his interpretation of a poor farm boy from Kansas being the ultimate working class hero.
What amazes me, is that the reviews that I have seen of Action #1 that are negative seem to totally not get this fact. They think instead (from teh ones that I have seen) that Grant is ttrying to make him cool and hip. Blows my mind how you can consider yourself good enough to go out and review comics without having a single clue as to the history of Superman.

#517771 09/12/11 01:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I find myself enjoying this much-less-super Superman.

Was it my favorite of the week? No. That honor goes to ANIMAL MAN, believe it or not.

But this issue was SO retro, it's hard not to be charmed by it!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#517772 09/28/11 10:07 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Superman #1

Okay, this is book is going to divide DC fans. I've read some online rants calling this issue "long and boring". It's more of a character study than an action comic. The Daily Planet is completely redefined for the modern age. The book had a lot of interesting things to say about modern journalism and media. Lois stole the show and I couldn't be more thrilled. Superman/Clark has a stubborn streak, principles, and a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Lots of people aren't going to like it. For me, it was fascinating and ranks with Action as the strongest book of the relaunch. For the character of Superman, this really is a relaunch. It's a bold attempt to keep the character alive, vibrant and relevant. As a lifelong fan of Superman, who has been bored these past few years, I'm moved to emotion by the fact that I'm feeling excited by all this and enjoying it so much.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#517773 09/28/11 10:15 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Once again, I totally agree with Jerry. Although I've not been a lifelong Superman fan as he's been, I'm a fan of what I saw in SUPERMAN #1. It's a great companion to ACTION #1.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#517774 09/30/11 11:37 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I also agree with Jerry and LT, as Superman #1 exceeded my expectations in a big way. I perhaps had unfair misgivings about Perez writing but dont mind being proved wrong by a tightly scripted, intricate plot that was full of characterization.

As LT says, this is a great companion piece to Action #1. I'm loving the characterization of Superman and Lois who are being written better than they have been in years. This really is the Superman of the Golden Age, chip on his shoulder and all, yet more modern than he has been since that period.

I love the media element Perez played up which should always be a strong part of a Superman series. Perez makes no qualms about the complexity of the subject, both morally and adapting to changing times.

The art was great and Superman looked fantastic.

Really impressed with the Superman relaunch in general.

#517775 10/01/11 07:58 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I also checked out Supergirl #1 last night to complete my review of all the Superman titles; it was definitely the weakest of all the Super-comics but certainly not among the worst of the DCnU. Getting right into what was wrong with, the issue was a bit thin with not too much happening; much like Justice League there was a writing for the trade mentality where the first issue could have / should have been the first 14 pages. And that's a tough criticism to overcome.

The tone of mystery and urgency is captured well, though, and unlike Superboy (which I liked more) there is a sense that what's happening here must be dealt with immediately. The battle with the 'troopers' was a little by the numbers for a Kryptonian flexing their power set but two things made it stand out: the one trooper yelling for the others to stop because she's just a kid, and the gradual flood of energy from the sun rising to cause Kara's powers to kick in. That last bit was done especially well.

The artwork was very nice IMO and reminded me of a rookie Olivier Copiel. I liked the energy and sense of momentum on the page. I actually like Kara's costume--not as good as her skirt but at least it isn't boring. The funky boots / knee cap window was odd but grew on me.

Definitely not the best relaunch but I still liked it enough to continue. We didn't learn a tone about Supergirl, but I expect we will next issue with the interaction with Superman.

Did I like as much as JL #1? the same.

#517776 10/05/11 09:02 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Action Comics #2

There's a lesson here about posting online reviews of comic books that you enjoy. I gave issue #1 an A+. I should have been more conservative. A+ is as high as you can go, right? So what can I say, now that I've discovered that I liked issue #2 even better than issue #1?

Luthor is being portrayed as a villain fully realized. His motivations are clear. His darkness is tangible. His insistence on calling Superman "it" just makes me furious at him -- each time he does it.

A couple of surprises with characters being referred to as doctor. Both of them so obviously intelligent in previous incarnations, that there should be no question of their PhD worthiness. Oh yeah, that just feels right.

Lois being manipulative to get what she wants? We haven't seen that in years. There's your argument in favor of doing away with the marriage. Lois Lane is Lois Lane again. Welcome back, girl. I missed you.

Superman, himself, I'm falling in love with. That's a pretty stunning cliffhanger of a final panel, if that's who I think it is...

What could make it better? How about eight pages of professionally produced and sleekly presented "behind the scenes" information? Okay, we've got that too.

Let's call it another A+.

#517777 10/08/11 08:47 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Action Comics is officially one of my "must read first" books of the new 52. I feel that this title is successfully shaking up what we know about Superman and making him a more dynamic character while still not being too disrespectful of what's come before. If this is the start of Clark and Lex's relationship in the new continuity, you can definitely see where the dynamics they're known for are coming from. Lex's insistence on calling Clark "it" and his ensuing break-out set the stage for why Luthor may become so obsessed with Superman in the years to come. Here we also see, as always, the level of persuasion and control Lex seems to have over his fellow lab workers. We even get a great appearance by Mr. Irons, who looks to be treated with a great deal of respect for the past Steel by having him be the genius who could walk away from such a project when it crosses ethical lines. A great treatment for Steel but even better, it sets the stage for why Irons would be a Superman sympathizer and could one day assist him as Steel again.

Lois was wonderful in this, showing the tenacity she has that suits her well as a reporter. She's going to get to the bottom of what's going on ...or else! A nice throwback to the Lois Lane of old while not making her seem deranged or completely obsessive.

The preview art was great and makes me actually excited to get a glimpse of Krypton. Despite the exotic locale, flashbacks of or tech from Krypton has always been a snoozefest for me when I checked out Superman stories in the past. Couldn't exactly tell you the reason, but the visuals look enticing enough.

Loving this Superman relaunch a lot. I'd give it an A or A+ as well. I walked away with the same surprise with the book at #2 as I did with #1 - an impressive feat.

#517778 10/08/11 11:24 AM
S
Applicant
Applicant
S
Supergirl #1 was... okay. Basically, she woke up, she got into a fight, she's winning, Superman turns up. A bit... empty.

#517779 10/08/11 03:23 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Finally caught up to Action #1. I really enjoyed most of it, especially how fresh it felt compared to traditional takes on the character. The art by Rags Morales was really nice. I've liked his art for a good while, so it was good to see him on such an iconic top-tier book.

I actually like Superman in short sleeves! The "official" DCnU costume is pretty much meh to me, but the t-shirt and showing off his muscles is refreshing! Too bad it's temporary. frown

What kind of torpedoed the book for me and made it less than an absolute smash was the train sequence. There were just aspects of the storytelling there that did not make sense to me and failed to do so in rereads of the sequence. How did Clark know the train was in danger, and if so, why did he wait to do something after the call with Jimmy? What was the thug on the train supposed to be doing? Where was the bomb planted--on the train or the bridge?

And that's not even including the massive suspension of disbelief we are asked to do with several train cars staying all together flying thru the air and thru a building and with Lex Luthor having apparently meticulously planning all these random elements to take down Superman.

The problem was that all of it took me out of the story and just puzzled me when it shouldn't have. I liked everything else about the issue, but my problems with that centerpiece sequence downgraded a solid "A" issue into a "B" grade for me.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#517780 10/09/11 04:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
According to DC Comics site, Legion to appear in ACTION COMICS #5 and #6:

"Fresh off of his bestselling FLASHPOINT miniseries, industry legend Andy Kubert will be joining critically acclaimed writer Grant Morrison for a special, two-issue arc of ACTION COMICS in DC COMICS-THE NEW 52. Issues #5 and #6 will guest star the Legion of Super-Heroes, while also laying groundwork for things to come much, much later in Superman’s story. And keep an eye out for Krypto!"

#517781 10/09/11 05:22 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Finally caught up to Action #1. I really enjoyed most of it, especially how fresh it felt compared to traditional takes on the character. The art by Rags Morales was really nice. I've liked his art for a good while, so it was good to see him on such an iconic top-tier book.

I actually like Superman in short sleeves! The "official" DCnU costume is pretty much meh to me, but the t-shirt and showing off his muscles is refreshing! Too bad it's temporary. frown

What kind of torpedoed the book for me and made it less than an absolute smash was the train sequence. There were just aspects of the storytelling there that did not make sense to me and failed to do so in rereads of the sequence. How did Clark know the train was in danger, and if so, why did he wait to do something after the call with Jimmy? What was the thug on the train supposed to be doing? Where was the bomb planted--on the train or the bridge?

And that's not even including the massive suspension of disbelief we are asked to do with several train cars staying all together flying thru the air and thru a building and with Lex Luthor having apparently meticulously planning all these random elements to take down Superman.

The problem was that all of it took me out of the story and just puzzled me when it shouldn't have. I liked everything else about the issue, but my problems with that centerpiece sequence downgraded a solid "A" issue into a "B" grade for me.
I totally agree with what you said. #2 was better in that there was not "huh?" moments.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#517782 10/09/11 05:30 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
^ Thanks, Quis--at least I now know it wasn't just me!

Is there anyone out there who had the same problems? Was there something that Quis and I missed?!?!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#517783 10/16/11 02:33 PM
Leader
Leader
In its story about Keith Giffin taking over Superman with #7, comicbookmovies.com refers to George Perez' #1 as being "critically panned."

WHERE was the book panned, I wonder. Personally, I thought it was the best book of the New 52 by about a million miles.

#517784 10/16/11 02:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
According to DC Comics site, Legion to appear in ACTION COMICS #5 and #6:

"Fresh off of his bestselling FLASHPOINT miniseries, industry legend Andy Kubert will be joining critically acclaimed writer Grant Morrison for a special, two-issue arc of ACTION COMICS in DC COMICS-THE NEW 52. Issues #5 and #6 will guest star the Legion of Super-Heroes, while also laying groundwork for things to come much, much later in Superman’s story. And keep an eye out for Krypto!"
which reminds me...I gotta buy those Action #1 and 2....and KRYPTO!!!!!!!!!!!!! arf arf!!!!

#517785 10/16/11 06:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Action Comics #2 was great. Art and story were spectacular.

I tried to read Superman #1 at B&N...man. I complain about the padding done in a lot of comics that seem to be written for the trade nowadays...but this was way too far the other way, I barely got through the introduction of Jimmy before putting it back on the shelf. Way too much exposition.

#517786 10/21/11 08:14 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I kind of like the direction DC has gone with Superman. I really liked the DC Archives of Golden Age Superman and was left in awe of how good they were. Why did Superman change over time? Why is Superman not written like this today? I ended up asking my questions on another forum. However, I also like the Silver Age because of the Kryptonian villains. Perhaps as Superman encounters foes that can rival him in physical power, that will create character development as he is forced to think strategically.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#517787 10/26/11 09:28 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Superman #2 was another decent issue. It certainly is a throwback to an earlier time when an issue took more than a few minutes to plow into, though I don't think this one was as slanted in the expository direction as the first issue.

The plot was pretty standard, but fun, and I like the way they are playing Lois. Obviously New Krypton's out the window because General Lane's back as a foil for Supes, and his scenes are actually pretty good for a character I didn't like the last time around.

It's certainly not at the level of Action Comics, but then again how can that be a fair comparison? For a decent Superman comic that has him being Superman, this is a good read.

#517788 10/26/11 09:25 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
RE: Superman #2

Loved everything about it.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,921
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Arm Fall Off Boy
Arm Fall Off Boy
North Carolina
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star