Roll Call
1 members (thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad), 10 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by thoth lad - 04/18/24 12:47 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:42 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/16/24 11:16 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl
Cobalt Kid #911806 10/02/16 04:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
YES.

It was one of the only enjoyable books that came out during the DC You period and a breath of fresh air compared to what was going on in the other Super books.

Cobalt Kid #911953 10/04/16 06:24 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Loved Superman #7! (The County Fair Issue) My favorite comic of September.

Regarding Action, I still enjoyed it. A bit of a dud in not providing any new information, but I'm certainly hoping that changes with the next issue.

My theory:

Clark is Martian Manhunter with his memory erased

New Super-Man continues to be a lot of fun too! I like the "Chinese Freedom Fighters" idea. It instantly made me think of EDE and Lash as people who would love it.

Cobalt Kid #912109 10/05/16 03:18 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Sueprman #8 was pretty fun. Superboy's working on his science fair project, a drone who's design came to him in a dream. When does that ever work out?

The drone comes to life, tries to absorb Kryptonian tech from the fortress, and then transports Superman, Superboy, and Krypto to Dinosaur Island. WWII wreckage and Dino-fighting abounds. It was fun to see the Supers taking care not to kill their saurian attackers. He really is the pre-Flashpoint Superman.

This issue ends with Superboy discovering what appears to be the final resting place of the Losers, with a final message to Rick Flag (Sr.) scrawled on a cave wall.

The issue was dedicated to Darwyn Cooke.

Cobalt Kid #912954 10/12/16 06:27 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I enjoyed Superman #8 also. Another really solid issue that was just fun from start to finish. And the tribute to Darwyn, whose death hit me harder than any comic book related death I can think of, really was a nice touch.

Cobalt Kid #913034 10/13/16 02:48 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Over in Action this week, Lois goes undercover as "New 52 Lois" to follow up on the note left for her in Superman #2 (and the subsequent dreams she's been having about her). In an attempt to get access to New52 Lois' computer, she heads to the Planet, where she's swarmed by people wondering where the hell she's been. Luthor (the new owner of the Planet) orders her to find out who the "new" Superman is, and the Clark doppleganger confronts her about not reaching out to him after he returned. "Clark" also manages to accidentally spill coffee on her computer rendering her trip useless.

She follows up by trying to get to Lois' personal laptop at her apartment, but is confronted in the cliffhanger by an angry Superwoman, who knows New52 Lois is dead and wants to know who's impersonating her friend/rival.

A better issue than last time, with Lois getting some welcome focus. The Super books really seem to be working as both as individual titles and a cohesive whole right now.

Dave Hackett #914919 11/03/16 04:02 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
The Super books really seem to be working as both as individual titles and a cohesive whole right now.

Yeah, they really are, and its enhancing the enjoyment of all of them. I really loved the way this Lois-centric issue was presented, making all the crazy continuity feel enjoyable like continuity used to feel. Lois has been overdue for some solid story-telling and this was greatly appreciated. I like the idea of Action shifting between Lex, Lois and others, as well as of course Superman on an arc by arc basis.

Like the main Superman series, which is my current favorite comic, Action continues to be fun and interesting every two weeks.

Cobalt Kid #916457 11/17/16 03:47 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The last two issues of Superman have basically been a dry run for the Super Sons series and a pretty fun little arc. Damian (in an obvious tip of the hat to BvS) doesn't trust Jon or his powers and tries to intervene. While Batman and Superman try and work things out, the boys get into it, causing Batman and Alfred to set up "Boot Camp" for them to bond over. It doesn't go quite as expected, though the relationship between Jon and Damian does start to evolve, status quo at the end certainly doesn't have them as best buds.

Cobalt Kid #917836 12/07/16 09:25 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
If these issues are any indication, I'm prepared to flat out love the Super Sons series. I just love the way Tomasi writes the father / son relationships between both Super Sons and their dads, plus the relationship with each other, plus the Bats - Supes friendship. Throw in Nobody and Damien's crazy ass demon gargoyle thing and I can read this series all day.

Superman has probably emerged as my favorite comic right now. Putting aside any real type of analysis, I just feel really great whenever I read it. Tone, characters, pacing, art, dialogue...all of it is just blending together wonderfully.

Cobalt Kid #918599 12/17/16 08:24 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So I'm still loving New Super-Man and I'm wondering if there'll be any more members of the Chinese Freedom Fighters showing up.

At the same time it looks like the March solicits are hinting we'll be seeing the emergence of Superman Red and Blue... and maybe Prime as well.

Lard Lad #918600 12/17/16 08:52 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Paladin
I'm keeping an eye out for the Superman: Lois & Clark TPB that sets up the Rebirth scenario for Superman. I know it features Lee Weeks on art, who is one of the most underrated but hugely talented artists of the past 2 decades, so that's a big draw. And, of course, dan Jurgens knows his way around a Superman story. Anyone read it and can say whether it's worth getting?

I flipped thru this at Books-A-Million a few days ago--it is flippin' GORGEOUS!!! I almost bought it as part of a Buy 2-Get 3rd Free TPB promotion they had. But even that deal doesn't approach In-Stock Trades' everyday pricing, so I passed. (Plus, there's my self-imposed ban on buying trades for a while--see my "Pile" thread.) It was tempting, though. Lee Weeks definitely did some of his best work!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Cobalt Kid #918601 12/17/16 08:56 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yeah the Lois and Clark mini is one of the best Superman comics in the last few years. It's a direct continuation of the Convergence miniseries and it's not just "Let's see how often we can compare the pre and post Flashpoint Supermen and the pre-Flashpoint Superman comes out better." There's definitely some commentary on how stupid the Nu52 was but it mainly just focuses on Lois, Clark, and their son Jon.

Cobalt Kid #918603 12/17/16 09:03 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
...and the art is GORGEOUS!

Don't mistake me for an art-first comic fan, but when an artist draws something so RIGHT, he or she deserves some recognition! Weeks is a very fundamentally talented "old school" artist, and this is a great showcase for him.

Cobalt Kid #918669 12/18/16 05:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Meanwhile I have to say I've genuinely enjoyed the first arc of New Super-Man from start to finish. I love the characters and the designs, and now I'm wondering if there'll be any more analogs in the Justice League of China or the Chinese Freedom Fighters.

Cobalt Kid #920115 01/06/17 02:56 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
In this week's Superman, someone is collecting the Multiversal Supermen, and have come to Earth-0 to look for New Super-Man (Which makes sense, since Superman himself isn't from Earth-0). Justice League Incarnate shows up, including President Superman, and with the help of Red Son Superman, they start looking for answers. Shaping up to be a fun story. Love the Multiversity characters returning.

Cobalt Kid #920128 01/06/17 04:44 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just hope Tomasi doesn't do anything with the 7 Unknown Earths.

I called dibs!

Cobalt Kid #920170 01/06/17 09:42 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I wonder how beneficial it would be to have The Final Days of Superman collection. This is, of course, the storyline that ended the New 52 Superman and set up the pre-52 Superman being front and center. The latter even appears in said story, though I don't know how significant his role is. I'm sure it's not essential to enjoying Rebirth Superman stories, but I'm nonetheless curious about its quality and worthiness to read. Thoughts?

Cobalt Kid #920171 01/06/17 10:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Final Days bridges the gap between "Lois & Clark" and Rebirth, but most of the important points are recapped in the first Rebirth issues. I honestly haven't read it so can't comment on quality, but not reading it has not impacted my enjoyment of the Rebirth Superman books in the slightest.

Cobalt Kid #920176 01/06/17 10:32 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, I'm not surprised that reading it is non-essential, but I am curious as to whether it's worthwhile.

Cobalt Kid #920181 01/06/17 11:38 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I can't help either--I passed on everything pre-Rebirth (and have no interest in it). It definitely hasn't hurt my enjoyment of the relaunch.

Dave Hackett #920378 01/10/17 09:13 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
In this week's Superman, someone is collecting the Multiversal Supermen, and have come to Earth-0 to look for New Super-Man (Which makes sense, since Superman himself isn't from Earth-0). Justice League Incarnate shows up, including President Superman, and with the help of Red Son Superman, they start looking for answers. Shaping up to be a fun story. Love the Multiversity characters returning.

I really enjoyed it too. The artwork by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado, perhaps the current best art team in comics, also took it to a whole other level too.

Tomasi blends together New Super-Man, Red Son Superman, President Superman and the other Multiversity characters nicely. I haven't been reading the solicitations anymore so this caught me totally by surprise when I opened it. Really good stuff!

And the prior two parter with Frankenstein and the Bride of Frankenstein was also an unexpected pleasure. Some very good story choices being done by the Superman creators these days.

Cobalt Kid #920586 01/13/17 12:47 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Tweaked costume for April, post-"Superman Reborn". Red boots, yellow belt buckle, no metal cuffs. Looks a fair bit like the N52 Earth-2 costume.

Attached Images superman-cv-20-224716.jpg

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Cobalt Kid #920680 01/16/17 07:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
http://www.cbr.com/superman-15-exclusive-preview/

The one thing I specifically asked was for them to leave the 7 blank Earths alone. The ONE thing.

Justice League of Assassins. That was the best they could do for Earth-14. Another cannon fodder universe. This is the same reason Countdown Arena sucked.

I'm so angry and upset right now.

Last edited by Sarcasm Kid; 01/16/17 10:14 AM.
Cobalt Kid #920862 01/20/17 01:36 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So Superman and the JLIncarnate decide to go world hopping and collect as many Supermen as they can before Prophecy does, and then use them to lure him out. When he arrives, the rest take off in the Ultima Thule (presumably to go free the others while he's distracted), leaving our Superman to face off against him.

Fun little story, though I would have appreciated a "Where the Hell are you from?" as the JLI realise our Superman isn't really from any of the existing 52.

Cobalt Kid #922380 02/22/17 06:19 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I enjoyed the JLIncarnate story quite a lot myself, and I loved the one-off story featuring John and Kathy in the swamp the following issue. Totally different tones but equally exciting and fun stories.

Action Comics continues to be really good too, and I'm enjoying the heavy focus on Lois that we've been getting every other arc. The Superwoman / Steel appearance felt almost like a non-sequitor but I can see their using the appearance at the Fortress to set up the next story-arc. I'm more interested in finding out the truth about "Clark Kent" once and for all.

Lastly, Super Sons was just about the most fun comic I've read in ages. I saw Dave's facebook this morning and the comment about how his kids have read it so many times that he may have to buy a new issue since its falling apart. I love that, and I think it's inspired me to read it to my boys too. It's a fantastic issue, satisfying to both adults and kids, and I love the relationship between Robin and Superboy. And I loved, loved, loved that ending scene.

Cobalt Kid #922507 02/24/17 05:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I am starting to get really confused by DC continuity. I tried reading Superboy's wikipedia entry for a reference and I am unsure of the characters' current standing or how many versions existed. Is the situation that Jon Kent and Kon-El can't exist at the same time in the universe? I know Connor's origin has gone through the retcon blender before that (Johns made his fanboy dream reality by making him Luthor's son too).

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,837
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Wayne3003
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Beagz
Beagz
Aggieland
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star