Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 33 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/29/24 03:38 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Re: Overrated concepts
Thriftshop Debutante #785235 08/28/13 11:26 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Believe me, HAES would tell you you're doing exactly the right thing. So would I. The difference between that and the "standard" diet/weight loss approach is that HAES posits that you are already benefiting yourself even if you don't lose any weight in the process. If your endurance gets better, and if you enjoy your food more because it's less monotonous and you're not eating past the point of being full, you're getting healthier. Period.

BTW, there are also studies that shows the usual media alarmism about fatness and Type 2 is actually upside-down. It may be Type 2 that appears first and leads to weight gain, not the other way around.

"While it’s true that the majority of people with T2D are in the BMI categories of “overweight” or “obese,” that’s at least in part because the insulin resistance that underlies most cases of T2D often causes people to gain weight. In fact, weight gain may actually be an early symptom—rather than a primary cause—of the path toward diabetes.

Without a doubt, weight loss is very effective at improving blood glucose control in the short term. But this doesn’t mean that your health will be better off in the long run. A review of controlled weight-loss studies involving people with T2D showed that initial improvements in glucose control were followed by a return to starting levels of control within 6 to 18 months, even in the few cases where weight loss was maintained.

Evidence shows us that the pursuit of weight loss can actually be harmful, both physically and emotionally. It also tends to distract a person from the behaviors and attitudes that really can improve one’s health, such as eating well, being physically active, and cultivating a positive sense of self.

What can have lasting positive results, however, is developing sustainable behaviors. A wealth of evidence shows that people of all sizes can substantially improve their blood glucose control and their general health and well being through healthy behaviors—even in the absence of weight loss."
--Linda Bacon, MD at ASDAH

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Lard Lad #785236 08/28/13 11:31 AM
And then there was steak!
Originally Posted by Paladin
Well, I was definitely doing things to really exacerbate bad health, like eating at Wendy's for lunch five days a week. And I'm not on any fad diet at all, just eating less and avoiding sugary things. I even go to Taco Bell and other places with my kids once a week. I just eat less than I used to when I go. Not on any exercise program at this point, either. Avoiding things I can't sustain. And I've already got Type 2 diabetes, so I'm not overreacting based on nothing.

That's how you do it. I lost sixty pounds basically cutting out foods that were HORRIBLE for me to begin with. Fast food, soda, processed sugars, stuff like that. Now, I maintain my weight with ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS. Never fad dieted. Never really "dieted" at all. The downside to this? It was not FAST. It took almost two full years to get where I feel right. Those fad diets are for people who think you can lose 100 pounds in six months.

Thriftshop Debutante #785239 08/28/13 11:37 AM
Trust me, plenty of unrealistic diet plans are couched in euphemistic terms and doggedly insist that they are all about health. And they are pushed on people, especially women, who certainly don't need to "lose 100 pounds in six months." Or lose 100 pounds ever. I think I tried my first "official" diet when I was a "whopping" 140 lbs. [rolleyes] But there you are. Hindsight is 20/20.

It's great that you're eating healthy, but you're incorrect to assume that everyone you see who has a spare tire is living exactly the same lifestyle or eating/drinking the same things that you got rid of before you lost weight. Nobody can discern these things just by looking at a total stranger or finding out their BMI, because nobody is psychic.

Last edited by cleome47; 08/28/13 11:39 AM.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
cleome57 #785240 08/28/13 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by cleome47

It's great that you're eating healthy, but you're incorrect to assume that everyone you see who has a spare tire is living exactly the same lifestyle or eating/drinking the same things that you got rid of before you lost weight. Nobody can discern these things just by looking at a total stranger or finding out their BMI, because nobody is psychic.

Did I say that?

"I lost sixty pounds basically cutting out foods that were HORRIBLE for me to begin with."

I've seen some people eat fast food three times a week and maintain a perfectly healthy weight. And i've seen some people have what would be considered a "healthy" diet and still gain weight.

Last edited by Conjure Lass; 08/28/13 11:45 AM.
Thriftshop Debutante #785241 08/28/13 11:50 AM
You also said: "That's how you do it."

But another person may do everything you did, and find themselves losing a negligible amount of weight. Maybe the pounds will come back after awhile, even though they continue to eat well. The point of HAES and ASDAH is to explain that cliches aside, those people are also healthy, even though they are still fat.

Thriftshop Debutante #785242 08/28/13 11:54 AM
Ahhhh. When I said "that's how you do it", it was more of a "woo-hoo, that's how it's done!" sort of thing. Like a pat on the back for his accomplishments, not agreeing with the technique so to speak. HAHA. Internet. Gotta love it.

Thriftshop Debutante #785244 08/28/13 11:57 AM
Okay, sorry about that. Still board buddies? [offers olive branch]

I really didn't mean to drift the thread quite so much. It's just that... I recently left another board that I really liked, because the constant anti-fat rhetoric just got to be too much. (No, it wasn't a diet or fitness board, which just made it all the more exasperating.) I actually encountered people time and again who thought I was worth talking to until they found out that I'm fat. Then their whole attitude would change. Ugh. I guess I just needed to grumble about it.

Thriftshop Debutante #785245 08/28/13 12:00 PM
*HUGS YOU* Oh, honey, if I stopped being friends with everyone I argued with, I'd have no friends at all!! I'm grown. And this is the interwebs where everything is taken wrong. Silly girl.

AND WHAT THE HELL?! Why would someone stop talking to you because you're overweight? And who gets to decide what "fat" is anyway?! Hell, by fashion standards (and I use that word loosely) i'm considered plus sized! What a bunch of ASSHOLES.

Thriftshop Debutante #785246 08/28/13 12:00 PM
in season
in season
Placemats.

Leap Year Lord #785248 08/28/13 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Leap Year Lord
Placemats.

What if they were Legion-logo placemats?

Thriftshop Debutante #785249 08/28/13 12:03 PM
in season
in season
No.

Thriftshop Debutante #785250 08/28/13 12:03 PM
I'm going to go with an unpopular one!

Children.

I know what people say. "Oohhhh, you'll want one someday" or "You're just not ready! You'll change your mind!".

No. I won't.

I. Hate. Kids. I hate them. They're loud and smelly and expensive and never listen and make no sense. They are for better people than me who can tolerate that sort of thing and/or enjoy children. But that's not me.

XD!!

Conjure Lass #785252 08/28/13 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Conjure Lass
*HUGS YOU* Oh, honey, if I stopped being friends with everyone I argued with, I'd have no friends at all!! I'm grown. And this is the interwebs where everything is taken wrong. Silly girl.

Gracias. [offers plate of fresh berries that I just washed]

AND WHAT THE HELL?! Why would someone stop talking to you because you're overweight? And who gets to decide what "fat" is anyway?! Hell, by fashion standards (and I use that word loosely) i'm considered plus sized! What a bunch of ASSHOLES.

Tell me about it. Sometimes (not all the time) the spaces where everyone insists that they're the most super-evolved on Topics A thru Y is the one where everyone is a complete effing Neanderthal about Topic Z and proud of it. I don't know why, but I decided to just cut my losses and move on. shrug

Leap Year Lord #785253 08/28/13 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Leap Year Lord
No.

Merde. I'd better get on the horn with Marketing before they approve production then.

BTW, I do have placemats at home. If by "placemat" you mean old newspaper that was about to go into the Recycling bin anyway.

Last edited by cleome47; 08/28/13 12:07 PM.

Thriftshop Debutante #785279 08/28/13 03:00 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Textbooks.

The replacement of over-sized, highly political (in how they're chosen as curriculum) with online tools, particularly in grade schools, will be a long term triumph. And how ridiculous is it for kids to lug those around all day?

Piss on textbooks. I never carried one all throughout high school and got great grades. 'Cuz they suck. nod

(I haven't even seen one in ten years and my kids are too young for school but its back to school week).

DrakeB3004 #785585 08/30/13 10:58 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by DrakeB3004
69 .... god bless you if this is fun for you, but I dunno ... there's just a little too much going on and people's anatomies don't always line up the way they need to.....

Anatomy is a problem since I'm a couple of inches taller than Blaze, and we curve in different directions. But once we get past that... wink wink

cleome57 #785586 08/30/13 11:02 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Ties. I hate wearing ties. The very word, "tie", makes me feel all strangled. Okay, so they look kind of nice, but besides that they have no practical use whatsoever (unlike belts or hats or handkerchiefs). And they can be quite a pain to put on.

Originally Posted by cleome47

Tell me about it. Sometimes (not all the time) the spaces where everyone insists that they're the most super-evolved on Topics A thru Y is the one where everyone is a complete effing Neanderthal about Topic Z and proud of it. I don't know why, but I decided to just cut my losses and move on. shrug

hugs all around! People should learn, being slim DOES NOT automatically EQUAL health, nor does it automatically equal beauty!

Invisible Brainiac #785674 08/31/13 04:42 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Ties. I hate wearing ties. The very word, "tie", makes me feel all strangled.

But Ibby, sometimes being strangled is oh so much fun wink

Thriftshop Debutante #785678 08/31/13 04:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Ice cream.

Oh wait, that's wrong.

Brussel sprouts. Perfectly good cabbages that never had a full chance at life.

Thriftshop Debutante #785690 08/31/13 06:54 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Gardening.

Standing or stooping out in the summer heat and getting one's hands all dirty to try to postpone the inevitable death of plants that would probably be happier elsewhere just doesn't do it for me.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
Conjure Lass #785691 08/31/13 06:56 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!

Children.

I know what people say. "Oohhhh, you'll want one someday" or "You're just not ready! You'll change your mind!".

No. I won't.

I. Hate. Kids. I hate them. They're loud and smelly and expensive and never listen and make no sense. They are for better people than me who can tolerate that sort of thing and/or enjoy children. But that's not me.

XD!!

There are some kids I know whose company I enjoy, but, for the most part, I agree. When The Boyfriend and I started dating, one of the first conversations we had was about children. When his response was "Hell, no!" I knew we were soulmates. love

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
Rockhopper Lad #785692 08/31/13 07:03 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by Rockhopper Lad

Children.

No. I won't.

XD!!

There are some kids I know whose company I enjoy, but, for the most part, I agree. When The Boyfriend and I started dating, one of the first conversations we had was about children. When his response was "Hell, no!" I knew we were soulmates. love

I agree, too, even though my cousin has somehow raised two amazing kids who are now in their tweens. But I know I would make a terrible mother, so why bother?

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Conjure Lass #785708 08/31/13 08:54 PM
in season
in season
I do not question others' opinions/decisions, but I will note that

They're loud and smelly and expensive and never listen and make no sense.

...is a fair description of the Mission Monitor Board.

Thriftshop Debutante #785710 08/31/13 08:59 PM
Lordy, just have all those chain emails from Nightcrawler marked as "spam" when they hit your inbox. Okay, it'll only help with the "expensive" part, but still...

Rockhopper Lad #785715 08/31/13 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Rockhopper Lad
Gardening.

Standing or stooping out in the summer heat and getting one's hands all dirty to try to postpone the inevitable death of plants that would probably be happier elsewhere just doesn't do it for me.

That's why they invented plastic plants, Doll. The plastic palm trees and Yuccas are especially attractive in winter when accompanied by a brace of plastic flamingoes in tiny Ray-Bans and glowing orange Xmas tree lights (the small blinky ones).

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,308
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
KidMarvel (Bunny)
KidMarvel (Bunny)
Newcastle Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star