Roll Call
1 members (Sarcasm Kid, Sarcasm Kid), 22 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Sarcasm Kid - 04/19/24 10:08 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/19/24 08:52 PM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/19/24 05:14 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/19/24 11:59 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How Many Beatles-Free Days?
#555349 07/30/10 03:29 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
You don't have to apologize, Rick. Not everyone does love the Beatles--as I once found out when I used one Beatles reference too many in conversation with a co-worker who was about the same age as the Beatles. I had assumed that everyone her age would universally agree that the Beatles were "important" if not aesthetically pleasing. Yet she let me know in no uncertain terms that she thought the Beatles were silly.

My mother, who was only a few years older than the Beatles, recalled that when they made their landmark first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, she had gone shopping at a local mom-and-pop store. When the owner--an elderly lady--asked her why she wasn't home watching the Beatles, she shrugged and said, "ehh."

Then, there was the 29-year-old co-worker of mine who shared her birthday with Ringo Starr. When I mentioned this to her, she at first looked pleased. Then she turned to me and said, "Ringo Starr? Wasn't he in a group?"

So, yeah, some people get along just fine without falling in love with the Fab Four.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#555350 07/30/10 05:14 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I have to admit that I've never really caught "Beatlemania" myself. I can appreciate their importance on an intellectual level, but I don't really get the same sort of visceral connection to it that I do a lot of stuff from the same period/milieu.

Don't get me started on how massively overrated Zep are, though.

#555351 07/30/10 06:32 PM
I'm always amazed when people a lot younger than I am dig the Beatles or any other artist from the '60s and '70s. Yet this past semester, I had a student who's 18 or 19 and loves the Beatles and Pink Floyd. Of course, part of their appeal is that he's able to share their music with his father. Another part of it is that he's a musician and is able to appreciate the music on that level.

I was six when the Beatles broke up and didn't discover them until ten years later. But that was the era of Paul McCartney & Wings, John was still alive, George had a hit with "Blow Away," and Ringo was famous for being Ringo. That the individual Beatles were still famous and still making hit records cemented their mystique.

And then there were the TV specials, a made-for-TV movie, and magazines showing girls screaming as the Beatles tried to perform simple love songs. There was the ubiquitous music itself and cover versions by Aerosmith ("Come Together"), Earth Wind & Fire ("Got to Get You Into My Life"), and Elton John ("Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"). The Beatles were indeed something special.

They represented a sort of youthful hope in the future, as John F. Kennedy did to an earlier generation. So long as the Beatles were alive, there was hope that they would get back together. If they could mend their rifts, there was hope that anyone could. Lennon's death destroyed that illusion, as had the death of the earlier John. However, the Beatles' music has lived on ever since. It still speaks of hope, optimism, and universal love. One does not need to be a Beatlemaniac to appreciate those qualities.

#555352 07/30/10 07:14 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
The Beatles are so ubiquitous that it really does take a cover for me to get any sense of what I like and don't like about them.

I admit that I get exasperated with fans who carry on like nothing of consequence happened in popular music after they split up, but that's a common affliction not limited to one band or one age group, so...

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#555353 07/30/10 07:25 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I've wondered if it's the ubiquity of the Beatles that reduces their impact for me.

On the other hand, no matter how many times I hear "Tuesday Afternoon" in a credit card commercial, I still get that tingly feeling from anything Justin Hayward sings.

#555354 07/30/10 08:25 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
<forgive me in advance if you've posted with me forever and have heard me recount this story several times before, including on the classic "Who Are You?" thread on the old DC Boards...>

When I was growing up, I always associated the Beatles with songs like "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and just figured that was the only type of music they ever made.

Then, Nike put "Revolution" on their commercials. I loved the sound and couldn't believe it when I found out these same Beatles were behind that song! It really opened my eyes to what they were capable of, and I very quickly bought a compilation cassette tape (remember those? smile ) Beatles: 1967-70 that contained "Revolution" and tons of other songs from the era. I played that frickin' thing to DEATH!

I later bought the companion tape Beatles: 1962-66. While I enjoyed that one, too, I was really more drawn to the later stuff and bought "Sgt. Pepper", "Abbey Road", "Magical Mystery Tour", the White Album and "Let It Be", some on cassettes and others on this newfangled dealy called CDs.

For a while the Beatles and John Lennon solo music was just about all I'd listen to. Before I got into them, all I cared about was whether the music sounded good. But with the Beatles I cared a lot more about the musical choices and especially the lyrics.

Later I branched out into metal and other classic rock bands, but the Beatles are probably still pretty much my favorite if my back's against the wall. Really, the only others that compete with them for my affections are Metallica and System of a Down.

Heck, I just realized I'm wearing my t-shirt of the Abbey Road album cover as I type this! smile

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#555355 07/30/10 09:02 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
*Goes to the closet and pulls out my Abbey Road tee shirt and puts it on. We're twins, Chief.

When the Beatles retrospective album "One" was released in 2000, I made a conscious decision not to buy it. I owned enough Beatles music, right? Somebody was just cashing in again, I thought. Knowing what a huge Beatles freak I am, my sister bought it for me for my birthday any way. Thank goodness. Listening to their number one hits, in order, gave me a renewed sense of just how much they evolved in such a short time. Here's a promotional piece for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZFxthKAVj0

Also, for anyone going to Vegas, I can't recommend "Love" at the MGM highly enough. Seeing it was one of the best entertainment experiences of my life.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#555356 07/30/10 09:25 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Jerry:
*Goes to the closet and pulls out my Abbey Road tee shirt and puts it on. We're twins, Chief.
WHOOO!!! laugh

(Terrific album, btw! laugh "And in the end...the love you take is equal to the love...you make!")

When the Beatles retrospective album "One" was released in 2000, I made a conscious decision not to buy it. I owned enough Beatles music, right? Somebody was just cashing in again, I thought. Knowing what a huge Beatles freak I am, my sister bought it for me for my birthday any way. Thank goodness. Listening to their number one hits, in order, gave me a renewed sense of just how much they evolved in such a short time. Here's a promotional piece for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZFxthKAVj0
I passed that up, too, since I've got all the individual songs. Maybe the perspective and the mix might convince me to pick it up after all at some point. (For the record, I still buy CDs when I want them; can't imagine just having it digitally.)

Also, for anyone going to Vegas, I can't recommend "Love" at the MGM highly enough. Seeing it was one of the best entertainment experiences of my life.
Haven't seen it (heck, haven't ever been to Vegas! frown , but I own the CD and enjoyed the mix and the alternate versions a LOT! It's awesome!

I also loved the movie "Across the Universe" and all of the great covers of the songs they chose. Excellent vocals and cast that celebrate their music wonderfully. I own the soundtrack for that as well.

#555357 07/30/10 09:30 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I used to get my Beatles fix by listening to my parents LP's on the old record player in the basement. They had most of the albums, not all...but most.

I think they still do actually.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#555358 04/19/11 04:02 PM
A pretty little cover of "I Am The Walrus" , by jazz vibraphonist Freddie McCoy (1932-2009).

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Fat Cramer #925600 04/10/17 04:15 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
The Beatles came up in a joke today. The one about a guy entering a pub quiz in Liverpool without a clue when it came to general knowledge. He put down either "The Beatles" or "Steven Gerrard" for every answer. He finished second. Let's see how many more days until the next reference...

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #925719 04/12/17 03:59 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Paladin

Heck, I just realized I'm wearing my t-shirt of the Abbey Road album cover as I type this! smile

Still got the same shirt and wearing it as I sit!

Fat Cramer #925720 04/12/17 04:17 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Longevity! The T-Shirt as much as the Beatles smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fat Cramer #1009564 11/15/21 12:42 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I forgave him all the crap solo albums.

I forgave him for not retiring even when his vocal range was mostly gone.

I even forgave him the facelifts that have left him looking like a chipmunk!

But I will not forgive Paul McCartney for trying to steal songwriting credit from John Lennon in his new book "The Lyrics."

"I've always believed that love is all you need." LIAR, you're the one mocking that very song in its final fade! Anyone with half a brain can tell that those na?ve yet utterly sincere lyrics are 100 percent Lennon.

Anyone with half a brain can also tell that at least half (the better half) of "A Day In the Life" is Lennon.

I may not even be able to listen to "Penny Lane" or "She's Leaving Home" or "Yesterday" or any of McCartney's own good songs anymore.

Stupid old wanker! He can go to hell for all I care!

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Fat Cramer #1009571 11/15/21 01:40 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
When I saw the topic headline pop up with "How Many Beatles-Free Days? my first thought was 'It will depend on what Paul has put in "The Lyrics"'.

Not surprised to see it in FIckles' post.

In other news, John Lydon claimed in his court case, that technically there were no Beatles free days, as he created them, formed the Pistols from them, fired one of the other Pistols for even liking the Beatles that he had left behind, and went on to do even better Beatles things in PIL that is still on tour. Across the court room, the other Pistols wondered what other (never minfd the) bollocks Lydon would come up with next.

Fat Cramer #1009986 11/25/21 06:34 PM
Speaking of Public Image LTD, my radio station, The Bridge 909, is currently playing "This is Not a Love Song." It clocked in at No. 562 of the top 909 songs of the '80s in a listener's poll.

Fat Cramer #1010193 12/02/21 05:44 PM
Leader
Leader
He keeps getting BETTER!

"ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNSVGoPkiWk

Fat Cramer #1010194 12/02/21 05:47 PM
Leader
Leader
Absolutely AMAZING story!

How Did Ringo Starr Join The Beatles? | Vinyl Rewind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ikMPx65V8

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,859
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Renly Fox
Renly Fox
Captain's Cabin
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star