Roll Call
0 members (), 18 Murran Spies, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:27 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:26 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 86 1 2 3 4 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
#579894 05/03/07 11:17 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Yay! Another Suspiria fan.

Suspiria is not only a great horror movie, it's a masterful exercise in pure cinema. Here's a review I did of it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076786/usercomments-301

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#579895 05/03/07 11:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've just recently started getting into Italian horror movies too!

'Saw Suspiria' a while ago and really enjoyed that. I just bought 'The Bird With The Crystal Plumage' DVD and loved that one as well. And a few years ago I rented 'Bay of Blood' (also known as 'Twitch of the Death Nerve' - GREAT title!) - what a warped movie! SO SO original. I've truly never seen another horror movie like it.

'Deep Red' and 'Zombi 2' have been on my "must-see" list for about 10 years now but the rest of your recommendations are new to me Stealth. Definitely going to look out for them though!

#579896 05/04/07 10:06 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Two movies I forgot to mention that were great.

The Illusionist and Prestige.

Cobalt, Norton rocked in the Illusionist! Batman and Wolverine rocked in the Prestige. wink

Never heard of Suspiria. I will try to check it out. Not a big horror fan though.

#579897 05/17/07 02:20 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
*bump*

I just saw Blue Velvet. Um...um...

I'm a David Lynch fan so I wanted to check this out. Scary. Gave me nightmares. My wife was disturbed. It wasn't even that good. Ohwell.

#579898 05/17/07 02:40 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just got my DVD's from my DVD club, I'll be watching them over the next few days (between bar-hopping wink ) They are:
Dark City
Saving Private Ryan
Da Vinci Code
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
Shaun of the Dead
Shawshank Redemption

I also ordered some more, Pan's Labyrinth, 5th element and the Bourne Conpiracy...should haev those in a week or two

#579899 05/17/07 02:57 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I'm part of blockbuster online and I love it.

dedman thise are all good movies. I've seen them all save Texas Chainsaw.

Shawshank is probably my fave. Very overwhelming. Though I always loved Dark City.

#579900 05/17/07 08:40 PM
Dark City is awesome.

#579901 05/22/07 11:05 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I saw Curse of the Golden Flower. Big chinese epic with Chow Yun-Fat. It was pretty good. Big family imperial court drama. No Crouching Tiger but it was a beautiful film. They went all out with the visuals.

#579902 05/22/07 08:17 PM
Omg, I love Curse of the Golden Flower. I had the good luck of seeing it at the movie theater. Astonishing spectacle! I almost never go to the movie theater anymore, but movies like Curse of the Golden Flower are a reminder that sometimes it's worth it.

#579903 05/22/07 09:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I needed emotional release so I've been watching movies at which guys are legally permitted to tear up.

Brian's Song
The Green Mile
To Sir with Love (teachers only).

#579904 05/23/07 12:46 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Stealth, it looked pretty good on my 50inch LCD flatscreen. I agree one of the most amazing visual experiences i've had.

Lately, i go to the IMAX theater for the few films I see a year.

Blockade, man those were sad. Should've watched Million Dollar baby to go along with it. smile

#579905 06/01/07 12:41 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

With Tommy Lee Jones and Barry Pepper. Janurary Jones! hot.

I didn't dig all that much. My friends highly recommended it.

It takes place in a border town in Texas. It's a very small town and quite depressing. It was a bit out there. The ending sure didn't help. There wasn't much of one.

#579906 06/05/07 06:40 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I saw Eragon this last weekend. It was good. I can tell it was meant for kids. It was very much a cross between Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Good actors! Lots of big actors. One not so "big" actor was Sienna Guillory who I may be in love with. She was Helen of Troy once after all. She is also part cuban. wink She is perfect.

#579907 06/05/07 06:58 PM
Inspired by the discussion of Curse of the Golden Flower, I dusted off a couple of videos I haven't watched for years, both of sword-and-fantasy movies from Hong Kong -- Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain (early 80s) and The Bride With White Hair (early 90s).

I watched Zu and it seemed a lot more like a kiddie movie than I remembered it; in fact, I'm not even sure if kids today would go for it, as the special effects could charitably be described as dated. But it does at the very least deserve respect for breaking new ground at the time of its original release.

Tonight, I'm going to watch Bride With White Hair, another one that broke new ground in its time. Hopefully this one stands the test of time better.

#579908 06/05/07 08:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Something else else the Lord Made: a HBO movie with Mos Def (the guy can act). For those that like the underdog movies, this one might interest on a couple levels. Def plays a black (lol) maintenance worker that rigs a tool for a heart surgeon that solves a problem that had been preventing operation on blue babies. Well done, true, not preachy but the message gets across.

Revolt of the Zombies: similar to Something else else the Lord Made, heh, no not really. $2 used at the local Gamespot, three zombie movies on one DVD, including the one the only, Night of the Living Dead.

Better than the quarter bins are the used DVD bins.

#579909 06/05/07 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Better than the quarter bins are the used DVD bins.
I'll say. A few months ago, I found a cheap copy of the B&W Mexican horror "classic" The Brainiac, the one about the guy who eats brains with a spoon and periodically turns into a demon whose head expands and contracts (possibly the cheapest monster mask in film history.)

It just occured to me...Robert Rodriguez should do a remake!

#579910 06/06/07 02:57 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Stealth, let me know which Hong Kong are worth seeing. I loved the Killer and Hard Boiled. Haven't seen much of the fantasy/legendary stuff.

Also interested in the old Kurosawa Japanese films.

#579911 06/06/07 11:40 PM
Jorge, my top recommendation would be the aforementioned Bride With White Hair. When I watched it last night, it was even better than I remembered. And unlike Zu, it quite gracefully gets around the limitations of the budget and of the technology at the time. And the characters and the deep themes and the symbolism that give the movie more substance than usual for this kind of spectacle. Just make sure you don't accidentally get the inessential sequel, Bride With White Hair 2.

Have you seen the one from a couple years ago, Hero? If not, I'd recommend that one, too.

Now I'm gonna have to rent Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I haven't seen it since it was in the theaters.

Oh, and the Killer and Hard Boiled are favorites of mine, too, especially Hard Boiled.

#579912 06/07/07 01:07 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I was to see Hero asap! My friends all loved that movie. They also liked Fearless by Jet Li.

And yes Hard Boiled rocks!!!

#579913 06/11/07 12:09 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I saw Bobby. It was pretty darn good. Actually while it was entertaining I started to ask myself...all this better tie in or not this movie might suck. Oh it tied in. I won't ruin for you guys but it was pretty cool.

I was impressed with Emilio Estevez's directing and most of his writing. There were some very cliched writing in some scenes.

Some very good acting jobs as well. A ton of good actors were in it.

Harry Belafonte? I never thought of him as a good actor. He did pretty good here.

Nick Cannon? Isn't he like a Nickolodean kid actor? Guy did great.

Helen Hunt did an amazing job. I consider a real actor someone who acts completely different in every role. She pulls it off. I didn't think of her at all as 'Helen Hunt'. She also looked great.

Joshua Jackson? So I never liked this guy. Thought he was just some young punk actor. Heard he was dating someone hot that I love (but forgot who right now). Hated the guy. He won me over. He did a great job here and finally looks like a man vs. a teen actor. Good for him.

Shia Labeouf? Again I was just talking smack about this kid. I think I just got sick of him playing the same character. He did a great job. Sadly Transformers probably won't help his acting career. He needs to do more films like this.

William H. Macy? Actually he did just all right. He did have a few scenes towards the end I liked. When his life was getting complicated. btw, I've met Mr. Macy and he's the nicest human being in the world. No really.

Freddy Rogriguez did an amazing job. Lindsay Lohan? It's a shame cause while she isn't great...she isn't bad. She's got talent. I hope she gets her stuff together.

Pretty good movie and I'm not a bleeding liberal either. wink (ofcourse of you don't carry a gun, a bible, and drive a pickup you might get accussed of being a bleeding liberal)

#579914 06/12/07 09:51 AM
Leader
Leader
Ill tell you what I WONT be watching. "John Rambo". ew.

Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.
#579915 06/12/07 03:07 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I'm a bit over Stallone. I haven't seen the latest Rocky and don't have plans for it either. Won't see Rambo either.

#579916 06/24/07 10:40 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Saw two movies this weekened.

The Painted Veil with Edward Norton, Naomi Watts, and Liev Schreiber. Three of my favorite actors. And the reason I wanted to see it is because of another film. Up at the Villa is a good movie taking place in preWWII Italy. I really liked that film and the same author wrote both novels.

Well? It was OK. Great acting but a bit boring for my tastes. In all those 1920s books it seems the anti-heroine is the same. I am not sure if the writers are trying to portray them as feminist or worse. They all have spunk, they all sleep around, and will it never ends good does it?

I've wondered in the past that men and women are the same. Women should be able to do everything a man does and be judged the same. Why do women want to bring themselves down to our levels? It's not pretty for man or woman.

Still this movie is a long road and the heroine certainly gains much respect. She cheats on him pretty early on and it's a long road to forgiveness. Also the fact that people would just marry whoever your parents approve of is a big factor. He knew she didn't love him when they married.

#579917 06/24/07 10:47 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
The other movie I saw (speaking of feminism) is Bound. smile

The Wachowski brothers doing a lesbian/mob movie? I was worried. But it was pretty good. Corky (Gina Gershon) is a butch ex-con handy woman. Violet (Jennifer Tilly) is the girlfriend of a mobster. Sparks fly. I liked it lots. Yes we have women acting like men doing bad things but they prove they are smarter than men.

I was rooting for Corky all the way in this one. At the end it was nice to see she never became a damsel in distress yet kept it realistic when she's flat out fighting mobsters. There was no kung-fu theatrics here where Corky is beating up all the mobsters with her high kicks. No this was gritty.

I saw some David Lynch in it as well and I always love that. smile

#579918 06/24/07 11:00 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Bound was teh hottness. love laugh

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
Page 2 of 86 1 2 3 4 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,938
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Eishuu
Eishuu
Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star