Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/25/24 11:48 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 11:17 AM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 82 of 86 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
Lard Lad #911811 10/02/16 11:35 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Paladin
When is it set in relation to Jessica Jones?

After, but Jessica's not in it. (Although Claire Temple shows up quite a bit, and there's an interview about powered-people that mentions a super-strong chick and some dude who can control minds.)

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Ultra Jorge #911813 10/03/16 01:48 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Watched the HBO Westworld last night. Turns out it's a sequel to the original (or at least implied sequel - they keep referencing a critical event 30 years ago). It was interesting, but not very original, as the central conceit about the robots glitching/rebelling and the morality of how we treat advanced AI is well trodden ground by now (the New Battlestar, TNG & Voyager, Ex Machina, Her, the original WestWorld. etc). I was more interested in the secondary hints at a larger story, where Ed Harris' character is trying to find some "higher" level in the game, and the idea that "management" has much bigger plans than the theme park.

It was well acted, and the bait & switch at the beginning was fun (until it got disturbing). I'll stick with it, but I want it to go in unexpected directions as the story unfolds.

Dave Hackett #911814 10/03/16 01:55 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Watched the HBO Westworld last night. Turns out it's a sequel to the original (or at least implied sequel - they keep referencing a critical event 30 years ago). It was interesting, but not very original, as the central conceit about the robots glitching/rebelling and the morality of how we treat advanced AI is well trodden ground by now (the New Battlestar, TNG & Voyager, Ex Machina, Her, the original WestWorld. etc). I was more interested in the secondary hints at a larger story, where Ed Harris' character is trying to find some "higher" level in the game, and the idea that "management" has much bigger plans than the theme park.

It was well acted, and the bait & switch at the beginning was fun (until it got disturbing). I'll stick with it, but I want it to go in unexpected directions as the story unfolds.

I love the original film so I was on the fence as to whether or not I would watch this. I'll give it a chance but I have low expectations.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Ultra Jorge #915946 11/11/16 01:15 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Supergirl seems to have benefit from the change, IMO. The dialogue is snappier, more drama in the stories. It's always had better acting than most of the DC series', now the writing is starting to do it justice.

Ultra Jorge #915952 11/11/16 03:15 PM
Rejected Substitute Reservist
Rejected Substitute Reservist
Don't know if YouTube counts, but I've been binging on The Spoony Experiment's Ultima and Final Fantasy reviews and his Counter Monkey series: Noah can be a little callous sometimes, but he seems like a really upright, fun, and passionate dude.

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
Ultra Jorge #916596 11/19/16 02:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Just a couple weeks until Invasion begins. Anyone seen any Dominators around?

Ultra Jorge #916684 11/21/16 04:53 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I have and they are naked.

Ultra Jorge #916714 11/21/16 02:04 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I like to watch this youtube series where a woman named Mina travels around the world. She visits places like Thailand, Singapore, etc and does video blogs.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Ultra Jorge #916848 11/24/16 04:27 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've been on a "flawed female protagonist" trend apparently:

-- "Fleabag" - caught it on Amazon. Only six eps in the first "series" (it's a Brit show) and it's kinda funny, fairly depressing, and has a gut-punch moment near the end. (I saw it coming, but it didn't diminish the execution)

-- "Good Behavior": Kinda funny, fairly depressing ... former thief, former meth addict, lost custody of her child who tries to do a good thing when she finds out someone's about to be the victim of a murder for hire, but ends up being forced to work for the hitman... whom she alternately has hot sex with and tries to run away from. Pretty good so far - definitely want to see where this crazy train ends up.

Last edited by DrakeB3004; 11/24/16 04:28 AM.
Ultra Jorge #916946 11/25/16 12:53 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Cosmos with Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Been on a history and science kick lately. It's been this and some other science programs, and British Castles.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Ultra Jorge #917470 12/02/16 06:44 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
My "flawed female protagonist" jaunt continues with Alia Shawkat on "Search Party." It's kinda funny, but it's mostly a great character study of a young woman having an existential crisis while dragging her boyfriend and friends into a mystery surrounding someone they barely knew in college who goes missing ... And it has a great payoff.

Last edited by DrakeB3004; 12/02/16 06:45 AM.
Ultra Jorge #917804 12/07/16 01:42 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Elo flash mob videos for All over the world.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Lard Lad #917831 12/07/16 09:13 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Originally Posted by Paladin
I just saw it. I laughed a lot! Very different from the originals but with a lot of nice nods. Basically, a fun popcorn movie just like the original was.

Yep. I gave it a solid "B+." Would totally watch again. Though I'm glad it was only a modest success, because I don't really want a million remakes of properties associated with guys redone with women.

I DO want more woman-centered original stuff, though. But you probably knew that.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Ultra Jorge #917834 12/07/16 09:22 AM
mr_cleome's really enjoying Jessica Jones, but it just leaves me feeling "Blah." The gratuitous "LOL!Fattie" bit at the start sure didn't help. But I also don't think the woman who plays the lead is all that good, or interesting. She's an ass-kicking porcelain doll who seems to be out-acted by a lot of the supporting cast.

Speaking of fat folks onscreen, I saw an early episode of This Is Us and considered continuing with it. Even though it's basically a new-generation thirtysomething with all the groan-inducing cliches that implies. Then I found out the fat sister character will have a weight-loss arc, and was glad that I opted not to get too attached.

sigh

Last edited by cleome50; 12/07/16 09:23 AM.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Ultra Jorge #917845 12/07/16 09:58 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I finally got around to watching "Batman v Superman." I would have been better off watching whatever cheesy Christmas movie was on the Hallmark Channel. At least watching those I get a brief moment of happiness when I see that Willie Aames is getting work. I can't imagine sitting through BvS a second time.

Ultra Jorge #917846 12/07/16 10:11 AM
rotflmao

That reminds me, I never did catch "Merry Grumpy Xmas" or whatever the Lifetime Grumpy Cat Special was called. I really should look around for it.

Speaking of yesteryear's stars: I watched the 1930s version of Little Lord Fauntleroy last week. Pretty fun, though I'll own up and say the TV version from the Eighties with shocked Ricky Schroeder and Connie Booth is much more to my taste. There's also a Trek cameo for you true believers, but I won't give it away if you've never seen it.

Last edited by cleome50; 12/07/16 10:14 AM.

Ultra Jorge #918062 12/10/16 09:05 AM
How 'bout that. Even though YouTube took down the aforementioned 1980 Xmas movie, I found a better copy elsewhere. Enjoy, won't us?

http://moviemega.net/watch/qd7qRBxK-little-lord-fauntleroy.html

Hardcore fans might spot at least two other familiar faces from Fawlty Towers, besides Connie Booth. (Who does really well with what's kind of a 2-D role of Saintly Mom.) And of course, Alec Guinness is always great to see. love

Ultra Jorge #919477 12/29/16 05:08 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I am watching The Gaming Historian's Youtube channel often this week. The creator, Norman, does a great job explaining topics from consoles (e.g. the Sega Dreamcast) to major events (the fall of Atari). The production quality is extremely high.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Ultra Jorge #919530 12/30/16 10:06 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sense8 Christmas: replaced one of the actors, the one with the most fun personality and storyline, with someone has NO charisma but still liking it. The show will do some things I might not like and a lot of things I love but it always does something. That's great. I look forward to the release of Season 2.

Ultra Jorge #919558 12/30/16 02:17 PM
Another old-time Xmas special I dug up last week was Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas. I suppose it never became a first-stringer because it had no traditional seasonal trappings, like Santa or an inspirational message a la' Peanuts. Also, Henson & Friends were about three decades too early for the Coen Brothers helping to make Bluegrass cool (briefly). shrug I enjoyed seeing it again anyway.

Ultra Jorge #919600 12/31/16 03:16 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Go see La La Land, folks.

It's seriously one of the most beautiful movies I've seen in years and I generally hate musicals. It's a charming throwback to 50's Old Hollywood, but still manages to feel fresh and modern, partly due to the natural charisma of Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone as the leads. The musical numbers are all good, especially if you're a jazz fan (looking at you cleome! wink ). It's defintely something that needs to be seen in theaters on a big screen to truly appreciate!

Last edited by Kappa Kid; 12/31/16 03:47 AM.

Ultra Jorge #919601 12/31/16 03:42 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Will do, Kappa. I'd been about 95% certain I'd see "La La Land", but your review has just tipped it all the way to 100%. Thanks. smile

And, FTR, even before "La La Land" gained buzz, I *already* J'ADORE-d Emma Stone (who, BTW, plays the bespectacled-intellectual-turned-fire-maned-beauty sorority sister in "The House Bunny," a movie I've been relentlessly promoting for over the past month in the Kat Dennings Thread right here in Anywhere Machine...that is, even though I actually have extremely mixed feelings about that movie. OTOH, and from a different perspective, it might be even more of an incentive to watch it. Oh, just stream it or borrow the DVD from the library and tell me what you all think!!)

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Ultra Jorge #919602 12/31/16 03:48 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I've been a big Emma Stone fan since seeing her in Superbad back in the day. Even in a bad movie, she's still always amazing! smile

Kappa Kid #919604 12/31/16 04:00 AM
Originally Posted by Kappa Kid
I've been a big Emma Stone fan since seeing her in Superbad back in the day. Even in a bad movie, she's still always amazing! smile

How true, Kappa, how very true. Cheers!! cheers

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Ultra Jorge #919609 12/31/16 05:14 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm hesitant to see "La La Land," but I do like stage musicals and I did REALLY like Across the Universe but most of those I like have big cast with intertwining stories, like "Rent."

Reviews seem to focus on just two characters and basically a romance movie?

Never got the Gosling love either, so am a bit worried about his portrayal of Armstrong, a childhood hero both from my state and my college (and almost my Prof). I might have too high expectations to even hope to enjoy what he does there.

Maybe he'll be the Tom Hanks type that can pull it off. He didn't annoy me in The Big Short though I refuse to punish myself ever again with Half Nelson.

Page 82 of 86 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,936
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Tiffany Spiffany
Tiffany Spiffany
Mayavale University
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star