Roll Call
0 members (), 8 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Reboot - 04/19/24 04:18 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 63 of 68 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 67 68
Re: So what are you READING?
Stu #896981 05/17/16 02:11 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Right now I'm re-reading some favorites. Secret Histories by Simon Green, Iron Druid by Kevin Hearne. Dresden of course and that's about it.

I don't get a lot of time to read anymore or look for new authors anymore.

I was liking A. Lee Martinez's stuff, but it kinda played out for me.

Found a book about essentially an ahole vampire by J.F. Lewis, but it kinda played out for me as well.

Not really finding a lot of new stuff that excites the old noggin.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Blockade Boy #897240 05/19/16 10:59 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
That's a fun idea. 58 was a great year for sci-fi movies, not sure about books. Wiki-ing

Oh! "Things Fall Apart," by Achebe, a favorite from Peace Corps days only now becoming "vogue" amongst the High School African Studies crowd here, thou. Only other one I recognize on the fiction list is "Exodus."

Sci-Fi, these are the only ones I found on a list for my year
25. _Non-Stop_ by Brian Aldiss [1958]
26. _A Case of Conscience_ by James Blish [1958]
27. _Have Space-Suit Will Travel_ by Robert A. Heinlein [1958]

Maybe I'll give them a try this summer. Great idea!

59 rocked!

28. _Time Out of Joint_ by Philip K. Dick [1959]
29. _Alas, Babylon_ by Pat Frank [1959]
30. _A Canticle for Leibowitz_ by Walter M. Miller [1959]
31. _The Sirens of Titan_ by Kurt Vonnegut [1959]

Too late for me to be a late baby? About 6 months late?

I won't tell anyone. wink

Make Room was a great start. Actually watched Soylent Green the other day when I was done. Lots of changes but both are good taken on their own. I would defintely recommend reading the book though.

Next up was Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49. Oh man was that bad! I haven't been able to read anything since, it just killed the mood.

66 had some pretty good sci-fi that I added to my list, beyond Make Room. These are the ones I'm thinking of reading through although I'll probably cull the list down a bit. There is a new Joe Hill out that I need to read after all.

Isaac Asimov – Fantastic Voyage
Ray Bradbury – S is for Space
Truman Capote – In Cold Blood
Agatha Christie – Third Girl
Philip K. Dick – Now Wait for Last Year, The Crack in Space and The Unteleported Man
Ian Fleming – Octopussy and The Living Daylights
Robert A. Heinlein – The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Robert E. Howard and L. Sprague de Camp – Conan the Adventurer
Daniel Keyes – Flowers for Algernon
Thomas Pynchon – The Crying of Lot 49
Rex Stout – Death of a Doxy
Jack Vance – The Eyes of the Overworld
Roger Zelazny – The Dream Master and This Immortal
Mikhail Bulgakov - The Master and Margarita

The last was written, never finished, well before 1966 but wasn't published until then and was actually the one that started me thinking of going through the books of that year.

Last edited by Lightning Lad; 05/19/16 11:02 PM.
Stu #897828 05/26/16 12:38 PM
in hiding
in hiding
Finally got around to starting The Martian.

Best. Opening. Sentence. Ever.

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
Stu #897837 05/26/16 01:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
"I'm gonna have to science the shit out of this" was a standout.

Blockade Boy #897839 05/26/16 01:59 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by the Hermit
Finally got around to starting The Martian.

Best. Opening. Sentence. Ever.

Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
"I'm gonna have to science the shit out of this" was a standout.

My favorite book of 2015.

Stu #898545 06/03/16 05:20 AM
strange but not a stranger
I just finished reading "In the Garden of the Beasts" by Erik Larson. He also wrote "The Devil in the White City".

"Garden" is about the first US Ambassador to Nazi Germany. Accompanying him is his wife, and grown son and daughter. The daughter is a bit flamboyant. Before going to Germany, she had been secretly married and was in the process of divorcing her husband. She had multiple affairs simultaneously. One with a Russian diplomat who was working for what would become the KGB and another who was the head of the Berlin Gestapo.

In the footnotes, was a joke that went around Berlin at the time, albeit not too loudly. At the Belgian border a huge number of rabbits appeared one day asking for political refuge. "The Gestapo wants to arrest all giraffes as enemies of the state." "But" replied the border guard "You're not giraffes." "We know that, but try explaining that to the Gestapo!"

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Stu #898571 06/03/16 10:44 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I just re-read Wintersmith by Pratchett. And it reminded me why I had trouble buying and reading his last book. That means it's over. No more from him.

And lets face it, Pratchett was an amazing study of human character and faults and foibles while still able to bring about a sense of hope and renewal.

You can hold up the classics as the greats and thats fine, but this was an example of someone that knew the human condition on many more levels than most people will ever know.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Quislet, Esq #899146 06/08/16 07:24 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Quislet, Esq
I just finished reading "In the Garden of the Beasts" by Erik Larson. He also wrote "The Devil in the White City".

"Garden" is about the first US Ambassador to Nazi Germany. Accompanying him is his wife, and grown son and daughter. The daughter is a bit flamboyant. Before going to Germany, she had been secretly married and was in the process of divorcing her husband. She had multiple affairs simultaneously. One with a Russian diplomat who was working for what would become the KGB and another who was the head of the Berlin Gestapo.

In the footnotes, was a joke that went around Berlin at the time, albeit not too loudly. At the Belgian border a huge number of rabbits appeared one day asking for political refuge. "The Gestapo wants to arrest all giraffes as enemies of the state." "But" replied the border guard "You're not giraffes." "We know that, but try explaining that to the Gestapo!"

Our history and popular culture are starting to show some focus, belatedly, to the Soviet side of WWII. There's tons of stories to be mined there. A buddy and I were looking at stats from that war: 8 of 9 German soldiers killed in the war were killed on the EASTERN front. Shows a whole new balance to what occurred.

Reading about Nazis getting their butts kicked never gets old. Curious our literature doesn't have the same focus on the war in the Pacific. There doesn't seem to be the same bloodthirst to read stories about Japanese getting beat as there is with Nazis.

I just finished a reread of "The Golden Age" by Robinson, Smith and Ori. I really like how they mix Golden Age heroes and enemies into the near post WWII - beginning of Cold War era.

Stu #899752 06/13/16 10:20 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Barney Hoskyns's "Small Town Talk" is the most pleasureable non-fiction prose reading experience I've had in a long time. There is some overlap with Hoskyns's excellent 1992 biography of The Band, "Across the Great Divide", but both books are absolute must-reads IMHO. "Small Town Talk" is a panoramic look at the musicians coming in and out of Woodstock, NY, from the early 1960s to the present day. At the center of it all for most of the book is the legendarily fearsome rock manager Albert Grossman, a grizzly-bearish but complex man without whom we wouldn't have had the work of Bob Dylan, or The Band, or Todd Rundgren. At the end of the book, it's hard not to shed a tear as Hoskyns recounts the bittersweet final years of The Band's heart & soul, singer/drummer Levon Helm, culminating in the mysterious final deathbed conversation between Helm and his friend-turned-nemesis, guitarist/songwriter Robbie Robertson. To this Rundgren fangirl, the chapters on her fellow Philadelphian are a tonic, her hero coming of as someone whose lack of social graces is more than compensated for by his work ethic and his genuine maverick streak. I really hope Hosykns does a full-blown Rundgren biography one day. The only sour note is struck when Hoskyns recounts Rundgren's association with original Utopia keyboardist Jean-Yves Labat, whose side project M. Frog happens to be a favorite of Julian Cope, with whom Hoskyns has been feuding off and on for over 30 years. Hoskyns, to his discredit, simply can't resist taking a cheap shot at Cope, which is sad. And yet there is so much to recommend this book that I can overlook, if not forgive, this slight against another of my heroes.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Stu #900634 06/21/16 06:24 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
True to my threat about ten pages back: now re-reading Nadine Gordimer's *Burger's Daughter* and it's been far too long. The title character grapples with young adulthood in apartheid South Africa. Her everyday observations and experiences always taking a backseat to the legacy of her Communist parents: both martyrs in the struggle against their own government.

Gordimer likes to mess with your head, in that she'll change from 1st to 2nd to 3rd person perspective and back, returning to events that have already transpired. They're rewritten, taken back, or painted in more fully, depending on the narration. It requires a lot of concentration, but that's appropriate given the complicated subject matter, I think.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Stu #900646 06/21/16 06:58 AM
I am now reading a biography of Belva Lockwod. Mrs. Lockwood ran for president of the US in 1884 & 1888. She was also the first woman to argue a case before the US Supreme Court.

Stu #900917 06/23/16 05:35 AM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L

I just finished Mental Floss' History of the U.S. It was an informative, entertaining overview of U.S. History.

I'm just about finished with "The Great Controversy," which I only read because I promised a friend who is a 7th Day Adventist that I would read it.

I think I have a deal with my daughter - if I read Harry Potter, she has to read one of my Heinlein books. We'll see what comes of that.

I recently bought a recliner, which I have in my bedroom. It has a reading lamp behind it, with bookcases on either side. It's my reading place.

One of the books beside my chair is the Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm. I try to read one story out of it every day. They're typically not worth commenting on, however, I just read a story called Clever Gretel which is hands-down the funniest fairy tale I have ever read. It's quite short. Here's a link:

http://www.authorama.com/grimms-fairy-tales-26.html

I actually finished "The Sign of Four" a few weeks back. I do so love Sherlock Holmes.

Also, I've been reading the complete Dick Tracy that IDW publishing is putting out. I just request a book through inter-library loan and wait for it to come in.

Stu #903405 07/21/16 08:30 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Reading place: porch swing. The day flies by. I bought porch plants so it doesn't look so hermity. I rock, I read. Cat comes near, I chase cat, read some more.

Saw a cover at the library that looked interesting. It was the, "first of a second trilogy," grrr. Whose idea was it, these trilogies? Now there's first, second, third.. trilogy. I don't like that person. Anyhow, I checked out the first book of the first trilogy.

It...was....a.....chore. Kept putting it down and picking it up. Two days before it was due, it got interesting. REALLY interesting. I went to renew it but SOME EVIL BASTARD had put a hold on it. Who puts a hold on a 12 year old book? Probably someone who got the same idea I did.

So, I had to turn it in without finishing. But I'm wise. KNOWING there's some person out there... one book behind me, I checked out the SECOND book in the first trilogy. I order the first book again using the stateside system, so now I am in possession of both books. Bwa Ha Ha!!!!

Being polite, I'll quickly finish the first, read the second so that whoever is behind me won't have to wait for it.

Oh the book? "Saga of the Seven Suns" Kevin Anderson (much better than his Star Wars books, which I've been told are hit or miss.

Stu #903411 07/21/16 09:17 AM
BB,

How much are the fines at your library? And how much longer did you need to finish the book?

Stu #903432 07/21/16 03:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thought about that but I knew it had been put on hold so... felt a bit selfish keeping it. And with my poor attention span and summer projects, I'm not exactly tearing through my reading. Turning it back in seemed the more socialble thing.

Ordering it through the state, another copy of book 1 got to me within the week (today!) and I'm happily finishing it with the safe secure knowledge that I've got book 2 in my greedy little mitts and won't have to wait.

Yeah, and it's getting better with every chapter!

hmmm, wonder if that other reader is thinking about borrowing out book 3..... I think I've got a chore to do tomorrow.

Stu #903702 07/25/16 04:10 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Finished Burrough's "Place of Dead Roads". While the first book of the trilogy ("Cities of the Red Night") was a mash-up of Pirate and Hard-boiled private detective stories which ultimately evolve into a space adventure, this one was a Western/Time-Travel mash-up that unfolds into a space adventure. There's only one main character this time and he's (intentionally) less likable but oddly relatable. Burroughs continues to mediate on the idea that, as a species, humanity has to get off this planet as soon as possible if we are ever going to reach the next stage of evolution.

Stu #903761 07/25/16 03:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Doing a slow reading of Octavia Butler's "Bloodchild." An author I've had on my reading list for awhile, just getting around to it. Don't see much from her works being adapted to graphic format, just "Kindred," probably her most famous work. Her stories would adapt well I think. She paints a vivid image with few words and dialogue seems really a strong point, though I don't have a great sampling yet.

Stu #905525 08/12/16 12:52 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Re-read of "Monster Earth," a new-pulp anthology with local writer involvement. It's holding up really well, I like the concept, would like to see it in a movie.

Short description, Monsters are the WMDs. So it's a retelling of a few specific spots in history beginning with the Japanese invasion into China, with allusion to several more.

Most of the writing, top notch. A couple just a bit above "blogger." And the publishing leaves a lot to be desired, with errors as low as typos, reprinted sentences... but it's the read that matters.

Worth picking up.

Stu #909868 09/19/16 12:45 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Finished the third of Burroughs Red Night Trilogy "The Western Lands". It's the last full novel he ever wrote. It's markedly different from earlier works. It's almost devoid of Burroughs hallmark violent, often lethal, gay sex scenes and instead focuses on mortality or more precisely, how to reach immortality. The Western Lands are the far bank of the Nile that ancient Egyptians presumed you went to when you died (if your soul survives the journey), so Burroughs pulls in elements from across the trilogy as well as previous works to try and desperately work out the way there. It ends on a sad and somber note, and is a powerful, if bizarre, meditation on dying and legacy.

Stu #912040 10/05/16 02:16 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Making my way through a re-read of Gaiman's American Gods, in anticipation of the TV series. After that, I have Alan Moore's Jerusalem on tap (as daunting a brick as it is).

Stu #912072 10/05/16 07:17 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I've started the Moonstone, and by heavens it's a slog... a small type faced slog at that.

I have no doubt it gripped readers during it's serialisation. But I'm lacking a little patience getting through all the set up chapters. Collins does go to the trouble of having events told through multiple points of view, and is trying to make them all endearing. But I'm just a bit meh to it really... fingers crossed it will all pay off.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Stu #915947 11/11/16 01:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
On the fifth book of Kevin Ansderson's Saga of the Seven Sons. Typical of almost any more than three book series I've read, it's just made up excuse after made up excuse to continue the series/$. There's a tendency to continue to add new characters and sub-plots until no one gets their due and he's following that trend.

His characters are good and there's a premise to his Universe that he really hasn't taken to advantage, mostly concentrating on the players within. Still, it's good.

Stu #916101 11/13/16 03:38 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just finished Hamlet by Kent Shakespeare's cousin William.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
thoth lad #916102 11/13/16 05:54 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by thoth lad
I've started the Moonstone, and by heavens it's a slog... a small type faced slog at that.

I have no doubt it gripped readers during it's serialisation. But I'm lacking a little patience getting through all the set up chapters. Collins does go to the trouble of having events told through multiple points of view, and is trying to make them all endearing. But I'm just a bit meh to it really... fingers crossed it will all pay off.

I remember it being a slog to get through, though the basic plot is actually pretty good.

Stu #916176 11/14/16 09:23 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Yeah, I liked the plot. I've probably seen a few adaptations when I was a kid, that focused more on getting to the meat of it.

I can see the effort taken to give everyone a voice, and can easily imagine people of the day enjoying the instalments.

But science has shown that the world then rotated at a fraction of today's pace, and the that the people in it moved with similar tardiness. So could ya please just hurry it up?! smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Page 63 of 68 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 67 68

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,847
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
freekdkid
freekdkid
Charlotte
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star