Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/23/24 10:21 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:37 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:37 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:36 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/22/24 02:40 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 16 April 24
by razsolo - 04/21/24 04:25 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Spoilers)
#590716 07/13/07 04:45 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
You've got to be kidding. At least JK Rowling came by her fame by displaying writing talent, even if it is limited (something that will need to be proven by a failed attempt at writing something else, I guess). Paris Hilton is talented at nothing more than self-promotion, and the media actively participate in her show. [/QB]
I was thinking more of the oversaturation in the media of stuff that isn't 'real news' than any comparison of talent. At least JK's only everywhere when a new book comes out, as opposed to Paris, who's everywhere all the time.

And admittedly, I pulled out of the Potter saga after... uh... 4 books and 2 movies? I think I realised I'd be far more interested in a story about the Ministry of Magic in more of an adult readers vein, and HP was never going to be that, so I dropped out.
So maybe the latest ones are magnificent works that merit the general acclaim? wink

Wayne@OZ
#590717 07/17/07 06:50 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I changed the title of the post, but I'd also like to come to an agreement that we don't post any spoilers here for at least about a week or so after the book comes out. What do you all think? I guess some alleged spoilers have started leaking out but I'm trying to stay far from them. Nobody likes a spoilsport so let's all be nice. Does a week sound like enough? Too much?

#590718 07/17/07 07:08 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'd say a week sounds fine, Matty. Most people will be getting them at the release parties or the day after, so that will provide plenty of time to read it.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#590719 07/17/07 07:20 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
We're getting ours via Amazon but I'm going Go-Kart racing on Saturday afternoon for my brother-in-law's birthday. I suppose bringing along my new Harry Potter book would sort of undercut the mood of manly competition.

By the way, we saw Order of the Phoenix Saturday - I thought it was the best one yet especially in light of all the cuts. A few things should have been left in that weren't like Snape's goading of Sirius but there were very few of those overblown film sequences like the unending flying car business in Chamber of Secrets or the overdone dragon chase in Goblet of Fire.

#590720 07/17/07 08:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey good news and bad news....but I will not spoil this....you will need to copy and paste this - if you want to know if Harry will live or die....Ron live or die....or Hermoine live or die??? so there's the link -

http://www.zendurl.com/h/hallows/

Yes they do have pictures of the story (at least 7 of them...enjoy or be more patient wait til the release day. Hugs to you all!

#590721 07/17/07 09:22 PM
Leader
Leader
I saw reports today that there are photos of at least three different versions of alleged pages from the book. I'm not clicking there, but if you do, know that it likely isn't the real ending.

#590722 07/18/07 08:54 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have no problem with waiting a week to discuss the book. However, I would also have no problem with adding "Spoiler" to the title of this thread on the day of release and letting people discuss it as soon as they want to. Really, that's no different than what we do for new issues of comic books.

Mind you, as weak as I am, it's probably better to wait, because I can never seem to not read spoilers smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#590723 07/19/07 12:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Apparently you should avoid the New York Times is you don't want to be at all spoiled before the book comes out.

It's too bad they couldn't have waited a couple of days to do this. Regardless of whether or not the journalist purchased the book in a store, I think the whole world realizes that the book is supposed to be released Saturday.

I guess we're supposed to spend the next couple of days in underground bunkers if we want to keep the suspense going smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#590724 07/19/07 01:43 PM
strange but not a stranger
Well, I have pre-paid for my copy. The bookstore is having an event on Friday night and then start selling at midnight.

I am debating with myself whether to go. Part of me wants to have the book asap. Part of me is thinking that it will be a madhouse there and will I be able to catch the subway home (the last train out of that station is at 12:23)

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#590725 07/19/07 01:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have to go visit a sick friend on Saturday morning, so I figure that by the time I get home from doing that UPS will have delivered my book and I can start reading that afternoon.

If I don't sleep that night, I will probably have the book finished sometime Sunday wink

#590726 07/19/07 02:04 PM
C
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
C
G-d has saved me from the midnight madhouse. As an Orthodox Jew, I can't be at the store Friday night, so I'll be redeeming my pre-payment receipt at Wal-Mart at around 9:45 PM Saturday night.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#590727 07/19/07 08:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Madhouse's FUN! heh...went there three times in a row. but not this time. :\ but I loved there anyway. Fun to watch kids and adults dressing up and playing and running around amok in Borders bookstore. It made me smile.

#590728 07/20/07 03:31 AM
Leader
Leader
i'm closing my eyes and posting blindly in this thread cause i don't wanna be spoiled. i'm going be drinking (butter beer?) at elephant bar until about midnight and then heading over to a midnight release party at barnes n' noble (next to the bar) in emeryville, ca. if it's not terribly warm i plan to rock my homemade gryffindor scarf...

#590729 07/20/07 03:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It's almost unbearable to think that, at this very moment, my copy of Book 7 is sitting next door at the UPS Distribution Facility.

So close, and yet so far...

#590730 07/20/07 04:27 PM
I've decided to go to the bookstore tonight, but if it is too crowded, I'll go home and return tomorrow. It is a small store, so, I don't know how many people can actually be in the store.

#590731 07/20/07 04:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Monkey Eater Lad:
i'm closing my eyes and posting blindly in this thread cause i don't wanna be spoiled. i'm going be drinking (butter beer?) at elephant bar until about midnight and then heading over to a midnight release party at barnes n' noble (next to the bar) in emeryville, ca. if it's not terribly warm i plan to rock my homemade gryffindor scarf...
Emeryville's a nice place! plenty of parking and easy to walk around the mall. Is it near the movie right? or on hmmm Shellmound Ave? right?

#590732 07/20/07 04:49 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
My copy is sitting in a box in my office--about five feet from me, but I'm not allowed to open the box till tomorrow. The library was allowed to have the books for "opening day", if we promised not to let them out of their boxes until then. We were required to keep the box in a secure place, so the manager's office was it! I placed a hold on my copy several months ago to ensure I would have it. smile

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#590733 07/21/07 05:08 PM
Well, I got my copy last night. The line was not too long and I was able to catch the last train home.

I was in Harvard Square and there were a couple of bookstore there. The city of Cambridge closed off a couple of streets. Many people were dressed in costume. The bookstore I went to had an employee in costume tossing out Enchanted wands (twizzlers) and power pops to the people in line.

Right after 12, this one guy was walking along the line with a copy and offering to sell it for $80. Another guy walked by letting out whoops like he had heard the best news ever. I don't think anyone took him up on it. And a woman on the subway took a picture of me reading the book.

I am about to start ch.9 (page 160) It has been an enjoyable read so far.

#590734 07/21/07 07:41 PM
Leader
Leader
I went to a party last night at an independent bookstore. They had a fortune teller and a Stump the Wizard contest. (The "wizards" were 10 and 11, and as far as I could tell, no one stumped them all night.) People who had preordered the book and last-minuters like me who purchased it there prepaid and were given numbers. Then at midnight, we lined up by number and got our books.

My friends were 18 because they preordered months ago, but I was 141, and my biggest fear was that someone would get the book, turn to the end and spoil it somehow, but no one did.

I pulled an all-nighter and just finished it. I wound up taking a 3-hour nap this afternoon because I just couldn't keep my eyes open. And since my goal was just to finish it this weekend, I went ahead and dozed.

I had a spoiler scare this morning, though, when I had to take my car in. I took the book with me and was reading in the waiting area. Then I hear another guy start to talk about it with the guys behind the desk! I peeked around the corner, ready to ask them to stop, but he was just talking about HP in general because his wife had gone to Kmart early this morning and was part of a mob buying the book. No spoilers, though. Whew.

#590735 07/22/07 09:32 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I finished it at 2 Am this morning. I won't spoil a thing... just wanted to say that I enjoyed it.

#590736 07/22/07 10:26 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I finished at about the same time. I loved it.

A few comments:

1. the spoiler page posted earlier in the thread is completely out to lunch.

2. Never, Ever threaten a member of Molly Weasley's family, no matter how bad you think you are...

3. Do not piss off Neville Longbottom...

4. Luna is a whole lot smarter than you thought

5. What, No Quiddich?

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#590737 07/22/07 11:40 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Ye gods, am I truly one of the few to have gotten through the book? I didn't buy my copy till yesterday afternoon, although I have irritated and alienated all those who love me by my obsession with finishing the book...and the (not a spoiler) random tears that have come every few minutes since reaching the last quarter of the book. The last coming from a regular old nearly thirty six year old white male father of two....somewhat under the influence of mojitos, but still...when can we talk about it? Do we need a separate thread?

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#590738 07/23/07 12:15 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I have an HP horror story-- I work at a Barnes and Noble-- we had a fun Friday night release party, crowded but good-spirited. Saturday, a young woman who was our cashier for the afternoon handed a copy of the new HP book to a customer who opened it up and read the last page outloud.

Luckily, no customers were around the front of the store at that moment, but the cashier was a big HP fan. She burst into tears, and was pretty much inconsolable for awhile.

I'm sorry I wasn't near the front to throw this jerk out of the store, but she was the only employee there (a moment well-picked by the creep, I'm sure).

I just don't get what goes through some people's minds, sometimes. I'm not a Potter fan (only because I haven't read them yet-- no judgment attached), but I can *so* relate.

#590739 07/23/07 11:32 AM
C
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
C
Well, I finished reading it about 10 PM Sunday night, and I thought it was great. Pretty much all my predictions were wrong, but it was so well-executed, I can't be upset about that.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#590740 07/23/07 12:04 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I just finished. I can't remember the last time I tore through a book this quickly! A great story and a great conclusion to the series! smile

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,905
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
avengers, wonderpoop
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
BouncingBear
BouncingBear
San Francisco
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star