Roll Call
0 members (), 14 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Sarcasm Kid - 04/16/24 10:29 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 04/16/24 10:16 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/16/24 10:04 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/16/24 10:04 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/16/24 10:01 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/16/24 10:00 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/16/24 10:00 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/16/24 05:21 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Jo and Terri Sanning's LSH Clubhouse...
Eryk Davis Ester #931467 06/11/17 10:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thank you! I ended up using another scan (couldn't figure out the source) for the Comic-Con thing.

But this will come in handy!

Eryk Davis Ester #1005306 07/31/21 08:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Anybody want to help with this project?

Even though the Sannings haven't provided their blessing on recreating their site, I've decided to recreate it anyway. What I've been able to recreate so far can be found here - http://www.silveragelegion.com/

My ultimate goal isn't to just have a copy of their old site, but to fill in the gaps and use it as a template to make the site more our own. They did such a great job initially, that I felt that it made the most sense to use their structure as the core to a new Silver-Age Legion-centric site.

Phase One is to recreate ALL of the pages that I can find in the Wayback Machine and restore any lost images that I can find or that anyone else can provide to me. Then, once I have everything that could be salvaged, we can work on the other two phases.

Phase Two is to fill in the missing info/pages and Phase Three is to go back and customize the site more so that it no longer appears as a blatant rip-off and more like a homage or something that was inspired by their work. There's also a few pages that are really personal and should either be replaced by Legion World member's contributions or removed altogether. I'd just like to get a full picture before I dig into those, though. And it'd be nice to discuss the merits of what to keep an what should remain archived.

As it makes sense, Phase Two and Three will be happening simultaneously.

How can you help? Well, even though I've been searching out all of the pages that I could find, I may have missed a page or two that may exist out there. More eyes on what's missing could be a real help.

Also, where the pages exist, not all of the images were saved. If you have one of them saved somewhere to share, that would be great. Or, if you know or have a good guess as to what the image may have been either you or I could find the image/panel and replace it.*

After we've salvaged what we can, then I could use a lot of help on filling in the missing info/pages and/or adding things that they may have missed/skipped over. Also, any ideas on how to improve the site or styles/suggestions on how to make it feel more Silver-Age Legiony would be welcome too.

*One thing to note...the Wayback Machine has a lot of versions of some of the pages, I went with the one that best represented where I wanted to start from, so if there's that kind of discrepancy, go ahead and mention/link to it, but the answer may be that that's the older version or maybe the older version just appealed to me more. We can always discuss what works best should the subject arise.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 07/31/21 08:34 PM.
Eryk Davis Ester #1005499 08/07/21 01:59 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've redone a few of the pages just to see what kinds of styles I want to alter and what I want to keep. I haven't changed the content all that much yet.

Here are the updated (styles-wise) pages & their corresponding Wayback Machine page -

New Main Page vs Old Main Page.

New Membership Page vs Old Membership Page.

New Monitor Board vs Old Monitor Board. (Edit: Just realized I linked to a newer page than the one that I used as a template. Which one do you guys prefer?)

New Legion of Substitute Heroes vs Old Legion of Substitute Heroes.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 11/11/21 04:50 PM.
Nightcrawler #1005504 08/07/21 09:02 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
I've redone a few of the pages just to see what kinds of styles I want to alter and what I want to keep. I haven't changed the content all that much yet.

Here are the updated (styles-wise) pages & their corresponding Wayback Machine page -

New Main Page.
Are the buttons meant to look like this?
[Linked Image from cdn.discordapp.com]

Also, scrolling is... inelegant:
[Linked Image from cdn.discordapp.com]

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Eryk Davis Ester #1005510 08/07/21 10:21 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yes, the buttons are meant to simulate 60's comic book coloring that was off a bit. Apparently, you aren't a fan. But thanks for the feedback.

I noticed the header issue, but didn't think it was a big deal. I guess I was wrong. (Edit: It's now been fixed.)

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 08/09/21 04:26 PM.
Eryk Davis Ester #1005512 08/07/21 11:56 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
thanks for your hard work, Nighty! I'm digging the checkerboard header.

Monitor Board - I like the new one.

Nightcrawler #1005517 08/07/21 01:38 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thanks Ibby!

New Monitor Board vs Old Monitor Board. (Edit: Just realized I linked to a newer page than the one that I used as a template. Which one do you guys prefer?)

Having seen the newer version and deciding it better matched my sensibilities (although I'm a Supergirl came first guy...so I may change it further after I investigate when that became a thing...so far it's as early as AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS #9 in 1975), I've updated the page to match the newer version by the Sannings.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 09/24/21 03:34 PM.
Eryk Davis Ester #1005518 08/07/21 02:29 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Thanks for all your hard work on this Nighty!

Looks great to me!

Eryk Davis Ester #1005534 08/07/21 09:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thank you!

I'm busy updating the other member pages. Need to either find a Miscellaneous page (if it exists) or create one. Expelled Members is all I can think of for it. But why not call it "Expelled Members?" Maybe I'll add that, but that still doesn't help with "Miscellaneous."

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 08/07/21 09:24 PM.
Eryk Davis Ester #1005540 08/07/21 11:10 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Hmm... there's future members, but that's covered under the Adult Legion section.

Eryk Davis Ester #1005541 08/08/21 01:24 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Also, just so I don't lose it, here's the link to the original, original website.

Here they list out Future Members, Expelled Members and Temporary Members. I might actually go this route instead of Miscellaneous. I also like "Roll Call" better than "Membership."

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 08/08/21 01:30 AM.
Eryk Davis Ester #1005552 08/08/21 09:29 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Hmm... it's a bit awkward the way they classify things there, though. I'd group all of the various traitorous members together (The Murrans, LSV, Command Kid, Dynamo Boy, Nemesis Kid, Universo) and separate them from things like Unknown Boy, the Weirdo Legionnaire, etc. I'm not sure "expelled members" is that useful, as nearly everyone gets expelled at one point or another, between stuff like the Dream Girl story and the Dynamo Boy story.

Eryk Davis Ester #1005592 08/09/21 05:26 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I agree with "Roll Call" over "Membership" as a term.

I do agree that the Temporary vs. Expelled members split is awkward, and support EDE's suggestion (good guys in one bucket, bad guys in another). Perhaps change Expelled to "False Pretenses members' or "Villainous/Traitor members"?

members in good-standing who were expelled (e.g. Superboy, Supergirl, the Dynamo boy entry) - perhaps grouped together, and the page named... um.... gosh tough one. I'd name it something like Instances of Expulsion, to show that these were otherwise long-standing/permanent members who were expelled as a one-off, if that makes sense. most of these instances lasted only one issue/story, after all. The intro could read something like, "Being a Legionnaire is very cool, but even good and heroic members can temporarily get expelled..."

Eryk Davis Ester #1005600 08/09/21 06:56 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
I think this is really cool!

One suggestion (and this may have been discussed earlier), is that on the main page there are the button links to the various subsections, then in the layer below that, you have the Hyperlink text that is analogous to the old version that you linked to above. For example, from the main page, you click on the Adult Legion button, but on that page there are more traditional hyperlinks. Its the plan to stylistically make the button? style for all the links?

Otherwise, this is great! I love the idea to have all the Silver Age content in one place!

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 08/09/21 06:57 AM.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Gaseous Lad #1005601 08/09/21 08:18 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
I think this is really cool!

One suggestion (and this may have been discussed earlier), is that on the main page there are the button links to the various subsections, then in the layer below that, you have the Hyperlink text that is analogous to the old version that you linked to above. For example, from the main page, you click on the Adult Legion button, but on that page there are more traditional hyperlinks. Its the plan to stylistically make the button? style for all the links?

Otherwise, this is great! I love the idea to have all the Silver Age content in one place!

Yeah, sorry. Most of the pages are from the original site that I'm recreating. I'm slowly changing some of the pages to a new design, but I'm still working out what that new design will be as well as trying to fill in gaps as I find them or we create them. I'd also like to try and update the text here and there as well. The ultimate goal is to not just have the Sanning's site, but to use it as the basis for a Legion World version.

Thanks for the suggestions EDE and Ibby.

Eryk Davis Ester #1005602 08/09/21 08:25 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
And btw, I'm kind of considering doing a site per era like this one. I'm just not sure if they'll all appear under www.longlivethelegion.com or each get their own domains like www.silveragelegion.com. Would having www.rebootlegion.com be a good thing or a bad thing?

Eryk Davis Ester #1005604 08/09/21 09:01 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Oh that is an awesome idea about the per-era sites.

I think the single LLL site would probably be the best route, then readers can fork off for the four different (or more, depending on how you count it) eras.

If I'm either a longtime Legion fan, or a newbie, I'll probably go to a unified site versus something era specific (that said, you can probably do custom URLs for the subsites). And the nice thing there is that if I'm a Bendis Legion fan and I go to the root Legion site, then I can dig into all these other eras if I really like it.

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Eryk Davis Ester #1005606 08/09/21 09:13 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
I was actually thinking a site for each Era would be super-cool, but didn't want to suggest it because I know how much work it's going to be just getting this one done.

Eryk Davis Ester #1005607 08/09/21 09:26 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I was actually thinking a site for each Era would be super-cool, but didn't want to suggest it because I know how much work it's going to be just getting this one done.

Yeah, they'd definitely have to wait for this one (Silver Age) to get more fleshed out at least. The current (?!?) Legion has www.legionofsuper-heroes.com currently. And back in the day, I had a lot of Threeboot-area content for Legion World that I could reuse/repurpose. Everything else would have to be created from scratch.

Eryk Davis Ester #1005609 08/09/21 09:37 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I do think a main site, with dedicated sub-sites for each era, would be cool. but yeah it must be a lot of work! thanks for this labor of love Nighty.

if you need help with editing /writing and stuff like that, i'm happy to pitch in. i can't help with the coding and layouts unfortunately, other than giving suggestions

Invisible Brainiac #1005613 08/09/21 11:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I do think a main site, with dedicated sub-sites for each era, would be cool. but yeah it must be a lot of work! thanks for this labor of love Nighty.

if you need help with editing /writing and stuff like that, i'm happy to pitch in. i can't help with the coding and layouts unfortunately, other than giving suggestions

Thanks! I'll definitely need your help with the copy and ideas on how to best organize the Reboot Legion (and the others that you wish to help out on).

Eryk Davis Ester #1005614 08/09/21 11:36 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
What do you think your timeline is going to be?

I'd like to help out, but spare time has not been my friend lately.... frown

Eryk Davis Ester #1005615 08/09/21 11:45 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm concentrating on this Silver Age site for now. So, everything else is at a minimum months away, but more like a year or so. I also have very limited time (should be writing reviews as I type this). I've been trying to motivate myself to get the Sanning site copied over and worked on. I figured making it public would help light a fire.

Nightcrawler #1005634 08/10/21 05:49 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

Thanks! I'll definitely need your help with the copy and ideas on how to best organize the Reboot Legion (and the others that you wish to help out on).

aye aye! Happy to help with the copy of any of the versions of the Legion smile and will keep checking in to give feedback/ideas for the rest

Eryk Davis Ester #1005769 08/13/21 11:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've updated the following pages' styles -

Animation

The Ghost of Ferro Lad and all of it's sub-pages.

Escape of the Fatal Five and all of it's sub-pages.

Two pages that were updated but I'm missing all of the key art for is Escape of the Fatal Five Blooper Reel and the some of the images for the Animated GIFs page. Although I could probably (with a lot of time and work) recreate the animated gifs (or at least create my versions of them, there's no way I could recreate the Blooper Reel from scratch. I'm hoping, beyond hope, that someone has saved it somewhere or knows where to find it online. Please help! And if you have or know where any of the missing animated gifs might be, that would be a big help as well. I'm missing Cosmic Boy's "magnetism.gif," Colossal Boy's "grow.gif," Invisible Kid's "invisibility.gif," Sun Boy's "radiance.gif," Chemical King's "catalyst.gif," and Stone Boy's "petrify.gif." - Found on one of my old computers.

Every other piece of art for the site came from the comics and is reproducible given enough clues as to what's supposed to be there, but these items were unique to the original site and pretty precious. So, any help tracking these down is appreciated.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 10/18/21 11:57 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,017
Posts1,044,816
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden