Roll Call
2 members (Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Lard Lad), 15 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/23/24 08:21 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/23/24 06:45 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/23/24 05:45 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/23/24 05:43 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by rickshaw1 - 04/23/24 04:12 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 03:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: "PHANTOMS" New Episode - SPOILERS
#607378 11/05/06 09:25 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Ian Lad:
Tinya becomes invisible as well as intangible?
In an old issue of the Avengers, the Vision lowered his density, and appeared to disappear, although the Scarlet Witch commented that she could just barely see him. I wonder if the reasoning is that if you become intangible enough, you fade from sight? It sort of makes sense.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#607379 11/05/06 09:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Awesomegirl:
I know this has nothing to do with this episode but was it just me or did I just see Phantom girls mom in the promo?
That did look like Winema. I also wonder if that\'s Ultra Boy and Matter-Eater Lad along with Lightning Lad in athletic gear .

#607380 11/05/06 10:46 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Tinya becomes invisible as well as intangible?
If she phased all the way back to Bgtzl, someone on Earth wouldn't be able to see her. Then all she has to do is move ten feet and phase back to Earth. That's how I figure it, anyway.

#607381 11/05/06 11:38 PM
Honorary
Honorary
I can definitely believe the green figure there is Tenzil. Ultra Boy...-maybe- that's him there, in the red/black, but I'm not sure.

#607382 11/06/06 07:15 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Although it was a great episode, I was a bit disappointed that the writers missed a great opportunity to bring back Mon-El. I thought for sure that while the Legionnaires were battling the Phantom Zone villains and ended up trapped inside Brainy's shield, Mon would suddenly appear to buy them time for their escape. That would have been awesome, even if he was left behind guarding their backs. It would have been a perfect set up for a return to the Phantom Zone in the future.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#607383 11/06/06 10:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
You know what's stupid? It never even occurred to me that Mon-El could have potentially been in this episode. I knew it was the phantom zone and everything, but I never even thought on Mon.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#607384 11/06/06 11:09 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think as stated earlier by Cloak and Dagger & doublechinner, that Drax is in fact Mon-El, who after centuries trapped in the Zone has been convinced that he's the son of Zod and Faora ( or whoever ) and that he's as evil as they are. Thus, he is immune to Kryptonite and based on this version of the Zone I could see that happening.

Plus, according to Scott's press kit <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">There are also a number of potential future Legionnaires who first appear as adversaries, among them MON-EL, CHAMELEON BOY and THE WHITE WITCH.</span></span>

My only question is what happened to his lead poisoning, if this is the case?

#607385 11/06/06 11:30 AM
Tekwych Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Is lead still used in the 30th century? We know of its harmful side effects to humans and magnetic and energy fields could replace its shielding effects. Maybe no lead was present while he was out.

I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure
#607386 11/06/06 02:22 PM
Deputy
Deputy
In the original "big brother" story, Lar was on Earth for a few days before his near-fatal exposure to lead, so I don't think Drax being unaffected after only one day is conclusive evidence he is or isn't Mon-El. I guess what we're left with is the cartoon series' first, big dangling plotline.

While the story itself didn't really thrill me (nor did it make a whole lot of sense), it was great to see Phantom Girl pull out all the stops. It would have completely rocked if Timber Wolf had said to Tinya "This mission is much too dangerous for a girl!"

Characterwise and in general, the one thing I'm not crazy about is the Saturn Girl & Lighting Lad love/hate thing, but maybe that's because we've been around that block before and, given enough episodes, I can guess what dark places it might eventually lead. Plus, I'm missing Bouncing Boy, who would have been utterly useless against Drax but it might have been fun to see the hell hounds chasing a giant ball through New Metropolis.

Grade: B, but looking forward to the next episode.

#607387 11/06/06 06:59 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Tromium:

While the story itself didn't really thrill me (nor did it make a whole lot of sense), it was great to see Phantom Girl pull out all the stops. It would have completely rocked if Timber Wolf had said to Tinya "This mission is much too dangerous for a girl!"
Sooooo, you want Timberwolf to be sexist?

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda
#607388 11/06/06 08:56 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The being born in the Zone was pretty cool. Son of Zod and Faora(Ursa?)???

Also I would think he wouldn't be as powerful as Superman cause he hasn't been under a yellow sun long.

I was also hoping for a Mon-El mention but ohwell. Enjoyed the show!

#607389 11/06/06 10:21 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Tekwych:
Is lead still used in the 30th century? We know of its harmful side effects to humans and magnetic and energy fields could replace its shielding effects. Maybe no lead was present while he was out.
In the comics, Mon-El's anti-lead serum used Kryptonite as an ingredient. If he was exposed to lead and Green K at the same time he wasn't affected.

#607390 11/07/06 11:03 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
The being born in the Zone was pretty cool. Son of Zod and Faora(Ursa?)???
Possibly, but what about Brainy's statement, "...not only does he share your powers, Superman, he's almost your genetic equal."?

I would assume a 12th-level intelligence would be precise enough to say, "physical equal" to compare Daxamites to Kryptonians and, "genetic equal" to compare an original to a clone, or to compare twins.

My only problem with someone being born in the Zone is that none of the prisoners seem to have aged, which would suggest that time has no passage there. While an occupant born there might be able to age, since the zone would be its home environment, the parent carrying the child wouldn't, meaning she most likely wouldn't change physically (eg. no development, pregnancy-wise).

My thoughts are that if Drax is Mon-El-to-be, it's possibly a Mon-El who's not a Daxamite, but possibly a Superman clone of some sort.

That said, I'm probably relying too much on Brainy's phrasing, and I'm willing to go along with a brainswashed Mon-El over a born-in-the-Zone Drax.

-- Walt Sterdan, Space Cadet

Readin' Legion since '62
#607391 11/07/06 12:50 PM
L
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
L
I definitely dug this episode the most of what we've seen so far. To me there was more story here, while the others were most interesting for their easter eggs. Yeah, lots of unanswered questions, but I get that the series will answer them eventually if given the renewal go-ahead.

Don't I remember a Drax from the "Lois and Clark" series? Can't recall anything specific, but he may have appeared as a Kryptonian near the end of tht show.

Loved the shading to Anibrainiac in this ep! See my "Anibrainiac" thread for more of my thoughts about him.

I'm also digging Phantom Girl a lot the last two eps! She's got a nice, wisecracking personality to her, and her fighting style kicks ASS! She and SG are pretty impressive fighters here!

I thought Brin liked SG in his debut? Maybe it was just gratitude!

I could swear that some of the phantoms were New Gods characters, like Granny Goodness perhaps. But they flew by so quickly that I'm only sure of Doomsday and Zod, really. Any stills of those phantoms available?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#607392 11/07/06 07:57 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Awesomegirl:
It would have completely rocked if Timber Wolf had said to Tinya "This mission is much too dangerous for a girl!"
Sooooo, you want Timberwolf to be sexist?
Nah, it's really Brainy's line from waaay back but dagnabit, *somebody* shoulda said it, and it just seemed better coming from a werewolf boy than a prepubescent android boy.

(Does AniBrainiac even have a gender? What parts of him are real people parts?)

#607393 11/07/06 08:23 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
"Drax" was apparently the name of Darkseid's brother. Doubt that means anything, but I thought I'd throw it out.

#607394 11/07/06 08:30 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
My overall evaluation: Outstanding episode that hit all the right buttons. It was full of action, but nevertheless contained some surprises. An episode that should cater both to new fans and oldsters, leaving the latter (me included) wondering if Drax is Mon-El or not.

Character Development: When we learned that Brainy was concealing kryptonite, I thought of Batman in INFINITE CRISIS: Have to have that insurance policy to make sure a super-powerful ally stays an ally. But I liked Brainy's reaction at the end: "I'm glad to be rid of it." Can't imagine Bruce saying that.

Drax as potential Mon-El: I was going to say I hated this idea, but, after two viewings, I'm starting to warm up to it. Drax isn't really evil, apparently; he's just been led to believe he is. The writer did a good job of making me sympathize with Drax, who could have easily been a one-dimensional villain. There was enough subtlety in his portrayal that I felt sorry for him when he was yanked back into the Phantom Zone.

Timber Wolf and Phantom Girl (or is it Saturn Girl this week?): Maybe Brin just falls in love very easily. Seriously, I don't know that we've seen enough of either interaction to assume romantic intentions. It could be that Brin, being literally the down-to-earth sort, really is annoyed with Tinya's princess attitude. (Garth also seemed to be feeling that way.)

For her part, Tinya really doesn't seem to act superior, just Valley Girlish. Perhaps she is misunderstood by the others.

The Legion being unpopular with the Science Police: This plotline seems to have been borrowed from the current verion of the comic (or what little I've read of it). I'm not fond of this idea, as it's too "kids versus adults"-ish. It did add some extra tension to the episode, though. However, I can't buy the SP firing on the Legionnaires who were clearly trying to subdue Drax's "pets." We'll see how this plays out.

My grade: A minus.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#607395 11/07/06 10:49 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
The Legion being unpopular with the Science Police: This plotline seems to have been borrowed from the current verion of the comic (or what little I've read of it). I'm not fond of this idea, as it's too "kids versus adults"-ish. It did add some extra tension to the episode, though. However, I can't buy the SP firing on the Legionnaires who were clearly trying to subdue Drax's "pets." We'll see how this plays out.
The post-Zero Hour Science Police weren't thrilled with the Legion, either. They saw them as kids who had no business trying to be heroes--the police had gotten all of this training, and the Legion comes out of nowhere, becomes famous, and is suddenly doing their job--all because they have powers.

I saw the show's Science Police vs. Legion thing to be more associated with that then the Threeboot one.

#607396 11/08/06 02:20 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
"Drax" was apparently the name of Darkseid's brother. Doubt that means anything, but I thought I'd throw it out.
It does fit if Drax is an updated, servant-of-darkness-styled clone made from Superman's DNA.

Readin' Legion since '62
#607397 11/08/06 02:42 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
'Drax' has a long and honourable history as a villain's name. (I think it means 'dragon'.) The one I keep thinking of is Sir Hugo Drax, the villain in the James Bond novel Moonraker.

#607398 11/08/06 03:09 PM
Leader
Leader
Re: relationships I think it was at Comic-Con that Andy Milder (Lightning Lad) said there'd be hints/suggestions of them but nothing too overt.

One thing I wondering was if this technically could still constitute the same universe as JLU/Batman Beyond/Teen Titans. If y'all remember, the same design of Speedy from Teen Titans later appeared in a JLU episode. Although the designs are radically different, Brainy's man-crush on Super-boy-man kinda make sense in relation to older looking Brainy's crush on Supergirl in the JLU episode. As does Bouncing Boy's overall empowered characterization.

#607399 11/08/06 07:17 PM
Honorary
Honorary
JLU/Batman Beyond/etc. is not the same universe as TT animated. Trust me on this. I've gone through every angle. You have to do wayyyy too much stretching to make them fit.

Just because the Speedy design was the same means nothing.

I'm engaged in a debate on the DC messageboards as to if LoSH fits in with the JLU 'verse. My position is that it's not, because again, you have to do unpleasant stretching to make it fit.

#607400 11/08/06 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Matthew E:
'Drax' has a long and honourable history as a villain's name. (I think it means 'dragon'.) The one I keep thinking of is Sir Hugo Drax, the villain in the James Bond novel Moonraker.
Drax (the Destroyer) was also the name of a Marvel hero, the father of Moondragon.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#607401 11/13/06 03:57 AM
Leader
Leader
I don't know if we've already discussed this (I think Michael mentioned him), but upon rewatching the episode this evening (I've been making room on my DVR) I noticed that Drax's chest insignia was a "Z". Could this be Z for General Zod? Could Drax be Zod's Superman clone/son?

Oh and I also noticed that Drax has evil ruby red highheel-like shoes ala the Wicked Witch of the East.

#607402 11/13/06 04:01 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Monkey Eater Lad:
Oh and I also noticed that Drax has evil ruby red highheel-like shoes ala the Wicked Witch of the East.
He's a manly man, that Drax.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,911
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP