Roll Call
0 members (), 166 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 03/28/24 01:12 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 12:20 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/28/24 11:47 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:44 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A Look Back: L.E.G.I.O.N. #1-55
#625150 07/28/05 06:22 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
This is the beginning of something fun for all L.E.G.I.O.N. fans here.

The way it's going to work is: I'll be re-reading each issue of my L.E.G.I.O.N. collection, one per day (unless I run into an especially busy day) and the next day, post the issue number, story title, main cast list, credits, one-or-two sentence plot summary, and some brief thoughts.

Anybody who wants to add feedback and/or their own thoughts is welcome to, I'd encourage it.

L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 #1 - "Homecoming"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Lyrissa Mallor, Garryn Bek, Strata, The Durlan, Stealth.

Credits: Keith Giffen, plot and breakdowns - Alan Grant, script - Barry Kitson, pencils - Mike De Carlo, inks - Gaspar (Saladino,) letters - Lovern Kindzierski, colors.

Plot: In deep space, a group of aliens (some of which are clearly ancestors of Legion of Superheroes characters) who met while they were all prisoners of the now destroyed Alliance (from the "Invasion!" mini-series) discover that the leader of their breakout, Vril Dox, has an ulterior motive: to take them to his homeworld of Colu on a mission to destroy the Computer Tyrants, machines which oppresively rule the planet's population.

Thoughts: It's always interesting to me going back to the early, formative issues of a series and seeing how much was already in place from the start and how much the book still had to evolve.

I like the way the story plunges right into the action, saving the recap for later. The characters are less over-the-top than they'd become in later issues, but the seeds are already there. My personal favorite, Stealth, has the best line, in an exchange with Vril Dox:

Dox: "There is a debt owed to my world. It is my father who incurred it. (pause) It is I who must repay it."

Stealth: "So YOU pay it, hotshot! You didn't need to drag US into your private vendetta!"

Barry Kitson's art is already excellent as far as draftsmanship and storytelling; it would become more dynamic over time, but there's still thrilling moments, like the Durlan using his shapeshifting powers to break into the control center. But Kitson can't do anything about the bad hair on Garryn Bek (a whiner who doesn't deserve better) and Lyrissa Mallor (a great character who does deserve better.) I assume Giffen came up with the original character designs, so the bad hair was his doing, not Kitson's.

And it's pure genius, very much in keeping with the book's darkly witty tone, that the team is apparently blown up by the Tyrants on the last page. How do they survive? Find out next time.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Re: A Look Back: L.E.G.I.O.N. #1-55
#625151 07/28/05 08:43 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I remember reading these only a few years ago (I’ve only actually read about #1-15 or so), and being surprised at how good they were, especially the earliest issues. The dynamic b/t Dox, the Durlan, Stealth, etc. is very real even early on.

I remember not liking Garrin Bek at all and then growing to like him as the series went on. And I thought the Durlan was really cool, and when it finally dawned on me that it was RJ Brande, being totally blown away.

This earliest story is also awesome, as it finally resolves the long-standing Legion plot of Pulsar Stargrave, which is pretty cool itself. And we see real insight into the past of Colu.

What a great series. And Kitson’s art was amazing…this is where he really made a name for himself IMO.

BTW- cool thread Stealth, and definitely one I’ll be reading!

#625152 07/28/05 08:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh Boy! I can hardly wait until we get to the issue where Comet and others are on the planet where it's illegal to be broke. THAT story truly characterized what they were only beginning to hint at in this issue: Dox was one of the best written manipulative bastiches in comics history. Nothing he ever did, did I see coming.

This first issue was perfectly taylored to LSH fans looking for recognizables but I wonder how it went over with a reader that knew only Superman and Brainiac 5?

I'll have to get out my issues and play along.

#625153 07/29/05 05:28 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 #2 - "So You Want To Be a Despot?"

Credits: Keith Giffen, plot and breakdowns - Alan Grant, script - Barry Kitson, penciler - Mike De Carlo, inker - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist.

Plot: The reluctant associates of Vril Dox have escaped the explosion thanks to Dox's extensive knowledge of the mechanized planet's lower levels. Unfortunately, they have no choice but to help Dox overcome more obstacles in order to reach the Tyrants' Control Core.

Thoughts: This is the first issue to raise an uncomfortable question, and it wouldn't be the last. There's no denying the Tyrants are callous in their willingness to sacrifice hundreds of lives for the sake of stopping six intruders and preserving order. But when Dox succeeds in de-activating them*, he throws the planet into anarchy. Is this really the lesser of two evils? I don't pretend to know the answer, but these shades of grey are one of the things that make L.E.G.I.O.N. stand the test of time so well.

*Or does he? Next issue, we find out, and it's not good news.

#625154 07/29/05 07:25 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
This was the first issue of LEGION i read, and the art and story hooked me. The title was quickly added to my monthly purchases. Though it was several years before i managed to get a copy of #1 and the Invasion mini.

#625155 07/30/05 08:04 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 #3: "How To Win Friends and Influence People."

First L.E.G.I.O.N. appearances of: Lobo, Mr. Starr/Pulsar Stargrave

Credits: Keith Giffen, plot and breakdowns - Alan Grant, script - Barry Kitson, penciler - Mike De Carlo, inker - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist

Plot: As Vril Dox takes steps toward bringing the planet Colu under his own control, Lyrissa and Garryn attempt to return to their own worlds, only for Garryn to accidentally kill a space dolphin, which leads to Lyrissa insisting they double back or face the wrath of one of the galaxy's meanest dolphin-lovers. Meanwhile, the Computer Tyrants activate their failsafe system - a powerful, sentient cyborg body containing their collective databanks.

Thoughts: As Cobalt Kid mentioned earlier in this thread, we finally learn the origin of Pulsar Stargrave - he is the host body for the Computer Tyrants of Colu. And is he ever pissed off in this story! The scene of him burning and scarring Dox was quite gruesome for its time, and even today retains some of its shock power. In this issue, we also get our first glimpse of the most controversial L.E.G.I.O.N. character, Lobo. My personal opinion of him, and more, next time.

Quotes:

Garryn: (as he walks away:) "Of all the big-headed, single-minded, lying...

Lyrissa: (as she walks away:) "...conniving, self-righteous, insufferable egomaniacs!"

Stealth (to Dox): "Two down, Ace. Anyone else you want to alienate?"

Garryn: I wish we could have found something faster than this clapped-out, solid-fueled hunk of junk.
Lyrissa: "Must you complain about absolutely EVERYTHING?"

#625156 07/30/05 11:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Stealth:
Garryn to accidentally kill a space dolphin, which leads to Lyrissa insisting they double back or face the wrath of one of the galaxy's meanest dolphin-lovers.
The first wrong turn taken by this book IMO, though Lobo was used quite creatively by DOX, so... maybe I'm wrong. laugh

#625157 07/30/05 05:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I thought Lobo's early appearances here and in JL were fine. It was only later that the joke got stale and they ran the character into the ground.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#625158 07/31/05 05:56 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 #4: "The Godfather Pulls the Strings."

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Lyrissa Mallor, Garryn Bek, Strata, The Durlan, Lobo, Stealth.

Credits: Keith Giffen, plot and breakdowns - Alan Grant, script - Barry Kitson, penciler - Mark Mc Kenna, inker - Kevin Yates, ink assist - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist.

Plot: Dox now has full control of Colu; The Durlan must talk him out of controlling the minds of the Coluans, which would make him no better than the Tyrants. Despite Strata and Stealth having promised to protect Lyrissa, Lobo defeats the entire team. Dox intervenes by making Lobo an offer he can't refuse.

Thoughts: Okay. Lobo. (deep breath) I don't hate Lobo, but if this had been the first story with him I read, then I would hate him.

That requires an explanation, and I hope this one's not confusing: I got into L.E.G.I.O.N. after it had been around for a while (the first issue I read was Annual #2,) and when I started picking up the back issues, I started with the post-Giffen issues (#13 on) because I'm not really a Giffen fan. I only added the first year later for completeness.

When I started reading the book, Lobo's persona was fully developed, and in most of those stories, I thought he had a certain bad-boy charm. He kind of reminded me of Wolverine in the reprints I read of the late 70s X-Men, Wolverine before he became a pseudo-philosophical bore.

But in this story, he's a disgusting creep. I generally enjoy L.E.G.I.O.N.'s brazen lack of political correctness, but the scene where he hits Lyrissa and Strata and breaks Stealth's hands is deeply offensive to me (and it wouldn't be the last time the book, or Lobo, went too far for me.)

This is my least favorite of the early issues, and I'm relieved to have gotten it over with.

On an artistic note: the new inker, Mark Mc Kenna, gives the art a cleaner line than Mike De Carlo, but there's also a loss of that wonderful Kitson detail. The art wouldn't fully bloom until later, when Kitson started doing both pencils and inks.

#625159 08/01/05 05:36 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 #5 - "The Secret Diary of Garryn Bek."

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Lyrissa Mallor, Garryn Bek, Strata, The Durlan, Lobo, Stealth.

Credits: Keith Giffen, plot and breakdowns - Alan Grant, script - Barry Kitson, penciler - Mark McKenna, inker - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist.

Plot: Dox's clever manipulations convince Lobo to spare Garryn's life - in exchange for both of them working for Dox. The others decide to stay, in order to prevent Dox and Lobo from going too far. Dox's first mission involves wresting control of the drug-ridden planet Cairn from drug dealer Kanis Biz - Garryn's father-in-law!

Thoughts: After the stumble of the last issue, the book gets back on its feet. Amazing that they got away with naming a character "Kanis Biz" (pronounced the same as "cannibus" - get it?) back in 1989. Once Dox's plan gets under way, the plot twists keep coming. The best twist of all is that Garryn, an ex cop, married Biz's daughter to get closer to his target.

Garryn: "Hey, I was young, naive, innocent..."

Stealth: "And stupid, it would seem! You obviously didn't bust him!"

Stealth never has time for excuses and bull****. What a great character she is.

#625160 08/01/05 06:11 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I have to agree that I thought Lobo’s appearances here and in JLI were really well done, and he was a welcome site. Even by the time his ‘Paramilitary Christmas Special’ came out, I was still loving the character (funniest comic ever IMO), as well as his Demon appearances. It was later when he was overdone and his personality became thinner and more cliché that he became annoying. But the dynamic b/t him and Dox is pretty interesting, especially when you consider how the others must have thought of them.

That’s one of Stealth’s best lines too! This thread is bringing back some memories for—very cool! I’m curious to when we’ll get to the issues that I never read what your (and everyone else’s) thoughts are.

#625161 08/01/05 02:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Stealth:

Amazing that they got away with naming a character "Kanis Biz" (pronounced the same as "cannibus" - get it?) back in 1989.
lol lol lol lol lol
Ahhh, the <blink><font size="16">old</font s> </blink> days.

lol lol lol

#625162 08/02/05 05:02 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 # 6 - "Heroes...and Villains."

Credits: Keith Giffen, plot and breakdowns - Alan Grant, script - Barry Kitson, penciler - Mark McKenna, inker - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist.

Plot: Using most of the other team members as a diversion, Dox has installed himself as Cairn's new police chief. The first thing he does is launch an all-out assault on the Kanis-Biz estate, with Lobo as field commander.

Thoughts: The book's first wall-to-wall action issue is one of my favorite early ones. Grant and Giffen have finally found the right sick/funny/crazy balance in the book's tone. This issue is bracketed by two disturbing but darkly funny scenes - one involves Pulsar Stargrave plotting his revenge against L.E.G.I.O.N.* while growing accustomed to living like a walking, talking person, the other showing Dox right after he's cold-bloodedly put a bullet through Kanis-Biz's head.

Quotes:

Stealth: Too late, Lyrissa. Looks like Dox's raid's already started. It's party time!

Lyrissa: Can't you take anything seriously? Oh, what's the use...

Cairn Cop # 1: Holy - who's idea of tactics was this?

Cairn Cop # 2: I don't know, but I think I could seriously get into it. BLOW THE SCUMBAGS AWAY!

*About a dozen issues later, this would result in one of the team's biggest tragedies.

#625163 08/03/05 07:04 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. # 7 - "The Nature of the Beast"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Lyrissa Mallor, Garryn Bek, Strata, The Durlan, Lobo, Stealth

Credits: Keith Giffen, plot and breakdowns - Alan Grant, script - Barry Kitson, penciler - Mark McKenna, inker - Gaspar (Saladino) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist.

Plot: All the drug-dealers in the galaxy unite their forces to attack Cairn. Dox counter-attacks with an army of Lobo clones. Meanwhile, Pulsar Stargrave lands on Lyrissa's home planet of Talok VIII, and Stealth begins to act like a savage animal in heat. In order to prevent the other members from objecting to his plan, Dox has drugged them to sleep. But Stealth's unclassified biology proves immune to the drug, and she's got another nasty surprise for Dox...

Thoughts: The action stuff in this issue is good fun. The scenes with Stealth are another matter. They seem to anticipate the "Species" movies, which I hate. At least Stealth doesn't shape-shift into a monster, that would send the misogyny right over the red line. As I re-read these issues, I start to recall what's coming ahead, and I'm reminded that all the stories which handle potentially offensive material in a heavy-handed way were plotted by Giffen. Which makes me glad that he'll be gone after five more issues, then Grant takes over the full writing and proves that a comic can be daring without being gross.

#625164 08/04/05 05:02 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 # 8 - "Don't Look Back"

Main Cast: Lyrissa Mallor, Garryn Bek, Strata, The Durlan, Lobo, Stealth.

First L.E.G.I.O.N. appearances of: Lydea Mallor (as child in Lyrissa's flashback,) Marij'n.

Credits: Keith Giffen, plot and breakdowns - Alan Grant, script - Barry Kitson, penciler - Mark McKenna, inker - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist

Plot: Stealth's mating ritual has proven fatal to Vril Dox. Stealth doesn't deny her actions, but she's blacked them out. The team risks a planet-wide riot if they can't bring Dox back to life, and the only genetic engineer who can do it is Marij'n, Garryn's ex-wife. And meanwhile: Stargrave has manipulated a Talokian politician into helping him with his evil plans, Strata discovers she's a woman (it's a Dryad thing,) Lobo vows to kill Dox all over again for taking away his self-replicating power, and Lyrissa admirably handles the pressure of standing in for Dox as leader.

Thoughts: This is my favorite of the early issues, a quiet interlude which brings a welcome focus on Lyrissa Mallor. Grant truly has a gift for writing strong female characters. And as much as I disliked what happened with Stealth last issue, it's a relief that she's not automatically judged as evil, something which would inevitably happen in a lesser comic book. And there is one line in here, spoken by Strata, which I think sums up L.E.G.I.O.N. perfectly: "The past is dead, Lyrissa. The future is now." Without a team like L.E.G.I.O.N. in the chaotic present, we wouldn't have hope for the brighter future of the 30th Century Legion.

#625165 08/05/05 05:40 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 # 9 - "Second Chances."

Main Cast: Lyrissa Mallor, Garryn Bek, Strata, The Durlan, Lobo, Marij'n, Stealth

First L.E.G.I.O.N. appearance of: Phase/Phantom Girl.

Credits: Keith Giffen, plot and breakdowns - Alan Grant, script - Barry Kitson, penciler - Mark McKenna, inker - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Glenn Whitmore, colorist.

Plot: Lyrissa continues to do a great job as leader in the absence of Dox, whose regeneration is now almost complete; but on Lyrissa's homeworld of Talok VIII, Pulsar Stargrave discovers that Lyrissa has a baby daughter, Lydea. The Durlan's tests reveal that Stealth's escapade with Dox has left her pregnant. The Durlan then abruptly exchanges places with a young woman from the 30th century who has zero-density powers. And Lobo escapes confinement and smashes the pod containing Dox.

Thoughts: Hey, why not bring a classic Legion character into the present day? It's a pretty cool idea, and Phase ended up being one of the team's most capable and likeable members. And as for the Durlan ending up in the 30th Century...well, most of us already know what happens, but it makes such a wonderful story (about 15 issues from now) that I don't want to spoil it.

#625166 08/06/05 10:10 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 # 10 - "Internal Affairs"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Lyrissa Mallor, Garryn Bek, Strata, Lobo, Marij'n, Phase, Stealth.

Plot: Dox has returned from the dead stronger and smarter than before. He's lucky, because Lobo wants him dead again. And Phase is just as confused by her new home as the rest of the team is confused about her.

Thoughts: The only scenes in this issue I like are the ones with Phase. The rest is just boring scenes of people beating each other up. I don't want brawls, I want gun battles and superpowers and exploding spaceships! In the end, what's important is that the book's first year is coming to a close, and the second year is where IMO it changes from being uneven to being consistently great.

#625167 08/06/05 12:58 PM
SLK Offline
Substitute
Substitute
Phase was such a great character. I was really ticked when they killed Tinya off in the 5-years-later Legion. So much that I dropped that book and started to pick up L.E.G.I.O.N. (Is there an easy way to abbreviate that?)

I'm sure I wasn't the only one torn between wanting to bring Tinya back with Jo and the rest of the Legion but still enjoying the attention she was getting in the L.'89 book.

#625168 08/06/05 04:58 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by SLK:
Phase was such a great character. I was really ticked when they killed Tinya off in the 5-years-later Legion. So much that I dropped that book and started to pick up L.E.G.I.O.N. (Is there an easy way to abbreviate that?)

I'm sure I wasn't the only one torn between wanting to bring Tinya back with Jo and the rest of the Legion but still enjoying the attention she was getting in the L.'89 book.
That's a good point, there should be an abbreviation. And since L.E.G.I.O.N. always changed the year in its title, how about simply abbreviating it as L-20th, as in "The 20th Century Legion?" (And of course, if DC brings back L.E.G.I.O.N., we could abbreviate the current L.E.G.I.O.N. as L-21st.)

I've never read more than one issue of 5 Years Later. It went completely against what I personally think the 30th Century Legion should be, which is the hope for a brighter future.

#625169 08/06/05 11:34 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I've never read L.E.G.I.O.N., but you make it sound very interesting, Stealth.

#625170 08/07/05 07:51 AM
OP Offline
Why, thank you, IB. And thank you, everyone else. I've been delighted with all this positive feedback.

If I were to try and recommend the must-have issues to L-20th newcomers, I'd say probably # 11-31, # 48-51, and Annuals # 1 and 2.

I'll have a post on # 11 up in a little while.

#625171 08/07/05 08:26 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '90 # 11 - "Power Play"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Lyrissa Mallor, Garryn Bek, Strata, Lobo, Phase, Stealth

Credits: Keith Giffen, plot and breakdowns - Alan Grant, script - Barry Kitson, penciler - Mark McKenna, inker - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist

Plot: Pulsar Stargrave ascends to the status of Talok VIII's new champion through deceit, manipulation, and bullying tactics, including the destruction of a non-hostile Khund ship. Garryn is heading a peaceful L.E.G.I.O.N. mission to another planet when they find an abandoned exploration vessel; investigating, they find the entire crew dead and Garryn encounters a strange glowing object...

Thoughts: The first L.E.G.I.O.N. issue cover dated 1990 instead of 1989 is great from start to finish. After too many rather claustrophobic stories, we're treated to Kitson's stunning renditions of the vast panoramas of outer space. Excellent cover by Kevin Maguire and Al Gordon, too, of the whole team (Stealth is sneering, of course - lol) standing against a starry background with the L.E.G.I.O.N. symbol behind them, and the note: "THE FUTURE IS NOW!" Year Two is off to an excellent start.

#625172 08/08/05 06:39 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '90 # 12 - "Alone Again, Or..."

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Lyrissa Mallor, Garryn Bek, Strata, Lobo, Phase, Stealth

Plot: As the team goes about its day-to-day business, Garryn sends a series of transmissions from the explorer vessel in which it becomes clear that he has discovered the Emerald Eye of Erkon, and that the eye is killing off the rest of his crew while saving him for another purpose (posession, perhaps?)

Thoughts: A lot of great characterization in this issue: in the best scene, Dox and Stealth have an argument about what she should do with the baby of theirs she is carrying, which ends with her slapping him (about time she did) and hurting him even more by mentioning the Durlan's departure. After she leaves, Dox throws a destructive tantrum, proving more than ever that, for all his intelligence and cunning, he still has the maturity of a three-year-old, which makes him all the scarier.

This issue is also the last to be plotted by Giffen. I have a feeling that if he had stayed longer, the book would have been overloaded with references to the 30th Century. IMO, bringing in the Emerald Eye of Erkon was too much of a good thing. From here on, Grant and Kitson set about giving the book a much more individual identity, and it would evolve into something very special.

#625173 08/08/05 11:20 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
These issue (I think) were the beginning of the personification of the Emerald Eye, whihc never worked for me. The Eye was never given a purpose or source for existence, which made it a random encounter getting to much airplay for my tastes. It was a spheroidal version of Lobo. The Eye worked best as a tool, an artifact that one might imagine was created.

#625174 08/09/05 05:44 AM
OP Offline
Without spoiling the stories ahead, I will say this: on one hand, I think The Eye was a bad idea in the first place (to reiterate something from my review, it was one 30th Century reference too many.) On the other hand, it provided some brilliantly funny moments with two characters whom I otherwise found annoying and boring.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,290
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024