Roll Call
0 members (), 13 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/23/24 08:21 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/23/24 06:45 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/23/24 05:45 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/23/24 05:43 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by rickshaw1 - 04/23/24 04:12 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 03:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: A Look Back: L.E.G.I.O.N. #1-55
#625200 08/19/05 03:38 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The Durlan.

ANOTHER great character, gone.

The thing to me about the original core members, most of them could have been a JLA level player, in another comic universe. They had charisma. Bek probably couldn't pull it off, but I think most of the others could.

#625201 08/20/05 06:01 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
Yeah, most of the founding members were great. Especially Stealth (is anyone surprised I said that?)

On the other hand, one of the things I love about team books is that they allow characters who are either too abrasive or too lightweight on their own to become parts of an exciting whole.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#625202 08/20/05 06:32 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 # 23 - " I, Durlan "

Main Cast: The Durlan, Vril Dox

Present-Day Cameos: Lady Quark, Strata, Phase, Garryn Bek, Marij'n, Lobo, Garv, Captain Comet, Telepath

Credits: Alan Grant, writer - Richard Piers Rayner, penciler (Past and Future sequences) - Jim Fern, penciler (Present sequences) - Kim De Mulder, inker - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist

Plot: After Lyrissa's funeral service, Dox stays behind to wallow in self-pity about many things, including The Durlan's dissapearance.

Flash-forward one thousand years - The Durlan is alive and well, writing in his journal. He recalls his pre-L.E.G.I.O.N. past, as the first Durlan to leave their home planet: he crash-landed on Colu and became a prisoner of the Computer Tyrants. Vril Dox Senior performed all sorts of sadistic tests on The Durlan until Vril Dox Junior snuck him out and kept him hidden in his room for years. After Dox Senior was executed by the Tyrants (not really, he actually became Brianiac,) they failed to break Dox Junior's will and so handed him over to The Alliance. Dox snuck out the Durlan by swallowing him in the form of a worm. They, along a few other prisoners, escaped The Alliance and formed L.E.G.I.O.N.

When a time-slip causes The Durlan to switch milleniums with Phase, he finds that anti-Durlan prejudice is just as bad as ever. So he takes human form and becomes a self-made billionare - none other than R.J. Brande, sponsor of the (preboot) Legion of Superheroes. He has created this new team in honor of Dox and L.E.G.I.O.N.

Back in the present day, Lady Quark sternly tells Dox to get back on his feet and keep the team going. Jolted out of his self-pity, that's exactly what he does. At his next speech, he unveils a banner in honor of Lyrissa and declares that the team's next mission is to crush the Khunds.

Thoughts: This is a near-perfect issue. The sequences drawn by Rayner are beautifully detailed and very well-written. The present-day sequences are also well-written, enough to transcend Fern's art (and even this isn't quite as bad as before.) I particularly like the scene near the end with Lady Quark - it's her first great L-20 moment. And Dox's announcement at the end sets up a four-parter beginning next issue, which is my personal favorite L.E.G.I.O.N. story arc.

Countdown to Barry Kitson's return: 2 issues to go.

#625203 08/20/05 08:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
"Near-perfect"

Yep

And what an AMAZING and seemless merge into LSH continuity. Off hand I can't remember which stories came first, this one or the ones in LSH, which set up the relationship between Cham and RJ? Either way, seemless.

Two of my favorites now gone. Lyrissa and the Durlan.

Really looking forward to the next arc because if there's a surity in Legion continuity, it's that you can't go wrong with a good Khund bashing.

Speaking of Khunds, they are the only non-human humanlike multi-racial race I can think of in the comics I've bought.

#625204 08/21/05 01:52 PM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 # 24 - "The Empire: Strike Back!"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Phase, Strata, Garv, Lady Quark, Lobo, Telepath, Garryn Bek, Marij'n, Captain Comet, Stealth

Credits: Alan Grant, writer - Jim Fern, penciler and co-inker - Jeff Albrecht, co-inker - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist

Plot: The feudal planet Ogun lies in a space sector coveted by both the Khundian and Dominion Empires. With Lady Quark as field commander, L.E.G.I.O.N. succeeds in driving the Khunds out of Ogun. Meanwhile: Stealth's peaceful exile is about to be interrupted by a big, hungry animal, while on Cairn, Marij'n and Captain Comet object to Dox's methods of deprogramming Lydea. And after Telepath informs Dox that the Khunds are developing an ultimate weapon capable of destroying planets, Dox decides it's time for direct action.

Thoughts: This issue is the first chapter of a great story arc, and it's only the tip of the iceberg. The story arc (I'm still trying to find a title for it...maybe "Khund War,") is one of those times when everything just seems to be clicking. Even Fern's art is acceptable this time (and later that same year, he'd do a surprisingly good job on Batman Annual # 15, also written by Grant.) And even though I have mixed feelings about Lobo, this issue has what I think is his best L-20 scene: a Khund charges into the office of an Ogun politican. Seeing that the swivel chair has its back to him, he threatens, "Turn around or I swear I'll kill you." The chair spins, and Lobo's in it! Lobo yells "IZZATSO?" and makes short work of him. Brilliant.

COUNTDOWN TO BARRY KITSON'S RETURN: 1 ISSUE TO GO

#625205 08/22/05 05:56 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 # 25 - "Doomsday"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Phase, Strata, Garv, Lady Quark, Lobo, Telepath, Garryn Bek, Marij'n, Captain Comet, Lydea Darkstar, Stealth

Credits: Alan Grant, writer and co-plotter - Barry Kitson, penciler, inker, and co-plotter - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist

Plot: A giant Khund space platform, under the command of the sadistic Devla, who rewards insubordination with death, houses their planet-destroying weapon, the Doomsday Device. The weapon has been created by the Khunds' prisoner, the dog-like Professor Rn'tnt'tn (Rin Tin Tin, get it?) The Prof has a bomb implanted inside him, which the Khunds can set off if he doesn't follow their orders.

On the newly free planet Ogun, L.E.G.I.O.N. field commander Lady Quark orders the team to move out to the Khund platform. Before they leave, Strata takes a call from Captain Comet and Marij'n on Cairn. They tell her about Dox's cruel deprogramming of Lydea, and she informs them that he may try the same form of mind control he has used on the Coluans.

Using a captured Khund vessel, the L.E.G.I.O.N. assault force sees their plan go astray when their Khund hostage manages to warn the platform. Everybody except LQ and Garryn heads to the escape pods, just before the ship is shot down.

The exiled Stealth wakes up from a nightmare in which her child mutates into Dox. She then fights off a giant beast using only her wits and a log on fire.

Dox is prevented by CC and Marij'n from wiping out Lydea's free will. CC threatens to stop Dox by force if he needs to.

And back at the Khund platform, as the pods land, the Khunds have detected them and assume battle stations.

Thoughts: Barry Kitson is back. Yay! And doing his own inks, so his art looks even better than before. Grant does a great job of keeping the action moving while not neglecting the character moments that make L-20 so special: Garv comforting Strata, who is still mourning Lyrissa (I've said it before, but Garv is such a sweetheart) and Stealth finding the strength to out-fight the beast by thinking of her baby and vowing that no harm will come to her baby.

#625206 08/22/05 09:09 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Loving these reviews Stealth. You've already passed the point where I had never read, and I'm interested in these stories. You're enthusiasm may directly cause me to start rereading, especially the Durlan issue.

#625207 08/22/05 10:07 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've read the whole series through only once, a couple of years back now and the I only really remember how rough Ferns art was and the issue where Stealth gives birth - what a blistering issue that was!! ElasticLad

Thanks for taking the time to write up your reviews Stealth, they are great!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#625208 08/23/05 05:41 AM
OP Offline
Thank you, Cobie and Harbinger.

Right now we're in the middle of what I consider the Golden Age of Grant's L-20, The Durlan issue through Annual # 2.

#625209 08/23/05 06:02 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 # 26 - "Bangs and Whimpers"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Phase, Strata, Garv, Lady Quark, Lobo, Garryn Bek, Marij'n, Captain Comet, Telepath, Lydea Darkstar

Credits: Alan Grant, writer and co-plotter - Barry Kitson, penciler, inker, and co-plotter - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist

Plot: Lady Quark and Garryn (whose Eye-given powers now come and go) have survived, and blast the hell out of the Khund platform, allowing the rest of the team to land in their pods and attack.

Meanwhile, on Cairn, Dox outwardly refuses to listen to Captain Comet and Marij'n, but once they leave, he decides to give Lydea a chance at redemption and spares her the mind-control.

Back at the platform, Phase's powers allow her to break into a safe and steal the plans for the Doomsday Device. But the team appears cornered by the Khunds, until Lobo steals a Khund battleship and turns its weapon systems on the Khunds.

As they leave, there is an explosion that tears up what remains of the platform. It's the bomb that was inside Professor R'n'tnt'tn. Lobo has kept the Prof's head as a memento.

Thoughts: From the awesome cover by Daniel Brereton (the first of many he would paint for L-20,) to the sick joke of an ending, this issue is IMO without a single fault. It even has a cameo by The Durlan (albeit in Dox's flashback,) whose words of wisdom convince Dox to give Lydea a second chance.

#625210 08/23/05 06:47 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
just reached the first issue i'm still missing. Good review, nice to hear exactly what happened.

#625211 08/24/05 05:53 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 # 27 - "Deals With the Devil"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Phase, Strata, Garv, Lady Quark, Lobo, Garryn Bek, Marij'n, Captain Comet, Telepath, Lydea Darkstar (becomes Lydea Mallor,) Stealth

Plot: With the Doomsday Device now under his control and guarded by the Ogen, Dox has both the Dominators and the Khunds exactly where he wants them, and the rest of the galaxy is dependent on him. Privately, he has a laugh, because the plans show that the Device would never have worked anyway. On Khundia, the Emperor now spends all his time fighting one-on-one battles with the millions of subjects who want to dethrone him.

Meanwhile: Garv finally helps Strata begin to come out of her depression; Lady Quark smacks Lobo for harassing her; Garryn and Marij'n have an argument and Captain Comet comforts her; Phase asks Telepath to read her mind, in the hopes that she will finally know who she is and where she came from - sadly, even his powers can't help; Lydea Darkstar becomes a probational member and takes on her mother's last name (Dox neglects to tell Lydea that she is her mother's killer.)

On Stealth's uncharted planet of exile, she goes into labor, and we begin to see just how different her unclassified alien biology truly is.

Thoughts: Re-reading this issue yesterday, I finally understood why Lydea never lived up to the potential she shows here. It's because, a few issues later, L-20 became overcrowded with new recruits and she was neglected from then on.

At that moment, I felt a twinge of sadness, realizing that the book went even more off-course that I remember, even though it eventually got good again just before I stopped reading it.

But for the moment, I can continue to celebrate the Golden Age of L-20. The next issue focuses on my favorite character, Stealth; we finally learn her origin in what is one of the weirdest (weird in a good way) stories ever published in a mainstream superhero comic.

#625212 08/24/05 08:23 PM
Active
Active
Stealth, I loved (most of) the L.E.G.I.O.N series and have really enjoyed reading your reviews. (I could spend all day reading well-written comic reviews.... and often do!)

Im really looking forward to next issue if its the one Im thinking of. (though I loved the series, I always seem to have a hard time remembering the details of it)

"Hard Labor" was the best issue in the series, IMO.

"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke
#625213 08/25/05 06:12 AM
OP Offline
Thank you, Kid Chaos. The next issue is the one you're thinking of, although "Hard Labor" was the cover subtitle, not the story title.

Since it's your favorite L-20 issue, I'll dedicate this review to you.

L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 # 28 - "Mommy's Boy"

Main Cast: Stealth

Cameo: Vril Dox

Credits: Alan Grant, writer and co-plotter - Keith Giffen, penciler and co-plotter - George Pratt, inker - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist

Plot: Stealth's labor involves a gruesome and painful metamorphosis which comes full circle with her returning to her normal form.

During her labor, her life flashes before her eyes: we learn she was born into an insular society which practiced a strict form of matriarchy, viewing men as nothing more than sources of sperm to be used and abused.

Stealth's sonic superpower made her a freak in the eyes of her people, and she spent years in forced isolation, being told she was worthless. When the Alliance needed one member of Stealth's race to hold prisoner, Stealth was the first and only choice. The L.E.G.I.O.N. members were her first true friends (some of them, at least.)

Back in the present, Stealth gives birth to a baby boy who looks exactly like a baby Dox.

Thoughts: Not being a Giffen fan, I'm always surprised at how much I like his one-off return to L-20. I'm sure the collaborative process had something to do with it. Grant must have curbed Giffen's tendencies for excess, while Pratt clearly made Giffen's art less confusing and more pleasing to the eye.

Since I rarely re-read the early L-20 issues, I had never noticed until now how perfectly this story complements # 7, helping explain her savage behavior in that issue.

It's wonderful to have a story focusing on my favorite L-20 character, and to have it add extra shades to her. Her terrible upbringing makes it easy to understand why Stealth always acts hard and sarcastic in public. And when she finally experiences a moment of pure joy at the end, it's cathartic. But the final image, of Dox slouched morosely over a balcony on Cairn, reminds us that cold reality is always around the corner.

#625214 08/26/05 08:15 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 # 29 - "Traffic In, Traffic Out"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Phase, Strata, Garv, Lady Quark, Lobo, Captain Comet, Telepath

Plot: While Lobo's raid on a smuggling ship proves disastrous, big changes are taking place on Cairn.

Phase gets a pleasant surprise when Dox promotes her to second-in-command. Her first day is a trial by fire, with a near-disaster in the docking bay. She proves herself more than up to the job.

Thoughts: This is great - last issue focused on Stealth, and this one focuses on Phase. She may not have the diplomatic skills or regal bearing of her late predecessor, Lyrissa Mallor, but it's competence and quick thinking which really count.

But when Lobo comes back even madder than usual from the unsuccessful raid, it's obvious that things are going to blow up soon between him and Phase. And they do...in issue # 30.

On a less positive note, this is the first issue with new paper stock and new coloring technology. These changes are not for the better. It's a strange thing about comics that, as the tools have become more sophisticated, the end product has often ended up looking worse than before (IMO.)

#625215 08/27/05 12:05 PM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '91/'01 Annual # 2 - "2001!"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Phase, Strata, Garv, Lady Quark, Lobo, Garryn Bek, Marij'n, Captain Comet, Telepath, Lydea Mallor, Stealth

Guest Star: Waverider

Credits: Alan Grant, writer - Mike McKone, penciler - Jan Harps, inker - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist

Note: This is a stand-alone chapter in the "Armageddon 2001" crossover affecting all 1991 DC Annuals.

Plot: Waverider is a time-traveling superhero from the future who has traveled to 1991 in order to discover which superhero will, in ten years time, become a supervillain named Monarch, who will kill all the superheroes and conquer the universe. Waverider's powers allow him to visualize each superhero's future simply by touching them.

Arriving on Cairn, Waverider first touches Lobo, whose future looks exactly like his present. No surprise there.

But when Waverider tries to sneak up behind Dox, he finds, to his surprise, that after what happened to Lobo, Telepath has forewarned Dox about Waverider and Dox has set a trap.

Now helpless, Waverider explains why he is here. Curious, Dox allows Waverider to touch him.

What we see through Waverider's and Dox's eyes is horrifying: Dox is the ONE superhero who could become AN EVEN WORSE MENACE THAN MONARCH! Even more terrible, he becomes this way through the use of the imprisoned Waverider's time-traveling powers! In this possible future, Dox and Lady Quark merge together with the remains of Pulsar Stargrave to become a bio-mechanical mutant which kills every past and present member of L.E.G.I.O.N. and conquers not only time and space but cyberspace as well.

Back in the present, Dox admits he is tempted to allow this future to become reality, but in the end, he decides L.E.G.I.O.N. is not about control, but justice. Dox sets Waverider free and asks Phase to send a crew to dismantle the time time machinery Dox had been working on. Waverider goes off to continue his quest.

Thoughts: First of all, this was the very first L-20 story I ever read, so it has special meaning to me. But more importantly, it's a great story. Not only that, but it's a great story despite being part of a mega-crossover!

Then again, I think that "Armageddon 2001" came very close to giving mega-crossovers a good name. The first of the two issues bookending the Annuals was excellent, and I would imagine that the second issue would also have been excellent, if only DC hadn't been forced to re-write and re-draw it at the last moment after some idiot leaked the identity of Monarch (he was originally supposed to be Captain Atom, then he was changed to...ugh...Hawk from Hawk and Dove.) But in the end, what matters is that some excellent alternate-future stories came out of this crossover, not only in the L-20 Annual, but in a few others, too.*

Grant seems to have understood better than any other writer involved with this crossover how to make the most of the concept handed to him. This is IMO one of the best L-20 stories ever, crossover or not. Mike McKone's art is every bit as good as Kitson's - their styles even look similar (I wish McKone had drawn the L-20 vs. Brainiac story from Annual # 1.)

*The other keepers are: Adventures of Superman Annual # 3, by Louise Simonson and Bryan Hitch (a widowed Superman is seduced by Maxima,) - Batman Annual # 15, by Alan Grant and a surprisingly good Jim Fern (someone is picking off Batman's enemies one by one,) - and Flash Annual # 4 by Mark Waid and Craig Brasfield (a forcibly retired Wally West is menaced by many of his old rogues; this story seems to anticipate some of what Geoff Johns has done on Flash in recent years, and I've often wondered if Johns is a fan of this story.)

#625216 08/28/05 09:29 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. # 30 - "Welcome to the War"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Phase, Strata, Garv, Lobo, Garryn Bek, Marij'n, Captain Comet, Telepath, Lydea Mallor, Stealth

First L.E.G.I.O.N. appearances of: Bertron Diib, Darius/AI-11, Amon Hakk, Zena Moonstruk, Ig'nea, Borb Borbb, Davroth Catto

Plot: Strata puts a large number of new recruits (which, for some reason, includes Lydea) through their paces, then has Telepath mind-scan them as a safety measure. The only one rejected for membership is Jiv Reduu, obviously an ancestor of Bouncing Boy, because Strata can't see any practical use for his power.

Meanwhile: Phase demotes Garryn to office work because his powers have become unrealiable, while Marij'n runs tests on Captain Comet to try and discover what's behind his recent headaches.

On another planet, Maximillian G'odd, one of the galaxy's biggest (in more than one sense) crime lords, executes the smuggler that Lobo failed to capture, then reveals to his underlings that he has placed a mole inside L.E.G.I.O.N. in order to destroy them from the inside.

Back on Cairn, Phase reprimands Lobo for failing to write a proper report of his last mission. Lobo starts a fight, but Phase is safe, because she simply becomes intangible when he attacks, then solid when she fights back. But Dox wants it to end immediately, so instead Lobo starts fighting him. This fight is interrupted by the sound of a familiar voice:

"Well, well, well, boys. Things haven't changed much around here, have they?"

Stealth is back.

Thoughts: *Sigh* The R.E.C.R.U.I.T.S.

It would be too harsh to say that this was the beginning of the end for L-20, because the book eventually got good again, but I do feel very strongly that the book went off course at this point.

L-20 became overcrowded with new characters, most of whom never truly came alive for me. I can't reveal the one character that did, because that would be spoiling who the mole is.

It also bothers me that Lydea was grouped together with the newbies. As a result, she became little more than a footnote where she could have been a lot more. This is also the point where she developed what I call her Coca-Cola hairstyle (as in, looking like she pours Coca-Cola into her hair to make it stand up straight.) What is it with Talokians and bad hair? Oh, for the days of Shadow Lass's long-and-natural look from the 70s.

This issue and the next one do still have some of the wild energy of L-20 at its best. It wouldn't be until # 32 that the book seemed to temporarily run out of gas.

#625217 08/29/05 05:43 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 # 31 - "Where Dreams End"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Phase, Strata, Garv, Lobo, Telepath, Stealth

Guest Star: Captain Marvel

Credits: Alan Grant, writer and co-plotter - Barry Kitson, penciler and co-plotter - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist

Note: This issue is a stand-alone chapter of the "War of the Gods" crossover affecting the entire DCU.

Plot: Stealth's return changes from joyous to sad after she finds out that Lyrissa was killed while she was gone.

Meanwhile, Lobo decides to use his free time to blow off some steam, and Telepath is ordered by Dox to keep Lobo out of trouble. Telepath has his work cut out for him when, due to the War of the Gods, Captain Marvel is accidentally teleported to the bar where Lobo's drinking.

Thoughts: What a strange irony that the last really fun issue for a while would be part of a mega-crossover. Grant and Kitson mercifully keep it simple, no five-page recaps or anything, just squeaky-clean Captain Marvel literally dropping by and scuzzy Lobo taking a dislike to him.

And the scenes of Stealth grieving for Lyrissa, with Strata and Phase by her side, are typically understated and moving.

The next couple of weeks should be interesting. Issues # 32-47 are the ones I re-read the least often. Hopefully, I'll discover qualities I overlooked before and they'll be better than I remember.

#625218 08/29/05 06:39 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Stealth I really appreciate this. I only have a handful of issues and they are later on.

#625219 08/29/05 02:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
#30 was a biggy.
The next martyr
The first traitor within
The first vengeful reject

#625220 08/29/05 02:36 PM
Active
Active
RE: ish 30:

I remember being pretty miffed over Lydea being a recruit as well, Stealth. I mean, she was heir to her mother's role as the champion of Talok VIII. She had it in her blood. And she needs to be trained like a rookie? hello?

I did like the recruits though, particularly the Khund. They *did* overcrowd the book a bit though.

And I *loved* the LSH homage in the form of the try-outs and "vengeful reject" syndrome. I really liked how the LSH-L.E.G.I.O.N connections were very subtle yet very thoughtful.

RE ish 31:

Don't remember much about this issue, except that it was fun.

I usually hate Lobo, but was always pleasently surprised by how well he was written in this series.

Great reviews as always, Stealth.

"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke
#625221 08/30/05 07:26 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by KidChaos:

I remember being pretty miffed over Lydea being a recruit as well, Stealth. I mean, she was heir to her mother's role as the champion of Talok VIII. She had it in her blood. And she needs to be trained like a rookie? hello?

Perfectly stated, KC. Thank you.

I don't know if Lydea's still alive in the current DCU, but if she is, I hope that, with the resurgence of science-fantasy titles, she gets the second chance she deserves.

#625222 08/30/05 07:58 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 # 32 - "The Seeds of Dissent"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Phase, Strata, Garv, Lady Quark, Lobo, Telepath, Captain Comet, Davroth Catto, Darius, Bertron Diib, Ig'nea, Zena Moonstruk, Amon Hakk, Borb Borbb, Lydea Mallor, Stealth

Credits: Alan Grant, writer and co-plotter - Barry Kitson, penciler and co-plotter - Mark Pennington, inker - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist

Plot: New member Davroth Catto records his observations in his journal: the recruits watching Captain Comet in action, followed by their first field assignment, taking down a band of bikers terrorizing senior citizens; Ig'nea's suprising romance with none other than Vril Dox; the increasing corruption and violence among outworld L.E.G.I.O.N. officers; an incident between Amon Hakk and Lydea Mallor, with Lobo and Phase arguing about the best approach to discipline; and the rampant paranoia now that rumors of a traitor in the ranks are spreading.

Meanwhile: Stealth refuses to tell Dox where their son is, and expresses outrage at the presence of Lydea in the team. And, even as his plan goes smoothly, Max G'odd hires the galaxy's deadliest hired killer, The Ice Man, to help destroy L.E.G.I.O.N. The Ice Man's plan: killing Lobo will speed up the domino effect.

Thoughts: The recruits' battle with the bikers is great*, and overall it's not a bad issue, BUT...

- It's way too obvious who the traitor is (but I'm still not telling.)

- The scene of Amon Hakk spying on Lydea Mallor is more typical of the "funny" version of Justice League than of L-20.

- Davroth Catto is too boring to be a point-of-view character (there's also the matter of his hair - I like long hair on men, just not when it's worn in twin ponytails.)

*Lydea has her best line in the entire series, as she turns her shadow power on a biker with "MAIM" branded into his forehead: "The only one getting maimed around here is YOU!"

#625223 08/31/05 08:40 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 # 33 - "Fault Lines"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Phase, Strata, Garv, Lady Quark, Lobo, Garryn Bek, Marij'n, Captain Comet, Telepath, Ig'nea, Lydea Mallor, Stealth

Credits: Alan Grant, writer and co-plotter - Barry Kitson, penciler and co-plotter - Mark Pennington, inker - Gaspar (Saladino,) letterer - Lovern Kindzierski, colorist

Plot: Lady Quark uses force to stop a sadistic renegade L.E.G.I.O.N. patrol, while on Cairn, Phase is fielding endless calls about similar incidents on other planets; Dox is too lovelorn about Ig'nea to care about anything else; Lobo finds one of his pet dolphins dead, and tracks the killer's scent to The Ice Man's lair; Lydea is devastated when, after Stealth snaps at her, she finds out that she herself was her mother's killer; the core members wonder if, since Telepath's scans of the recruits revealed nothing, perhaps one of them is the traitor? And, as his plans continue to succeed, Max G'odd gloats.

Thoughts: Some undeniably powerful moments here, especially the opening sequence with LQ, the panel of the dead dolphin's head (which I always have to shield my eyes from,) the scene between Stealth and Lydea, and the one right after it where Strata and Stealth argue (as much as I like Stealth, I'm with Strata on this - it was wrong of Stealth to treat Lydea that way.)

At the same time, there's a lack of urgency here, a sense of slackening. And a key scene later in the story, of Lydea confronting Dox for not telling her the truth, is clumsily written and goes nowhere.

I suppose that the decline in Grant's L-20 writing was probably due to the health problems which forced him to leave the book at the end of this story arc, so I don't think I should be too harsh.

#625224 09/01/05 08:43 AM
OP Offline
L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 # 34 - "Major Quake"

Main Cast: Vril Dox, Phase, Strata, Garv, Lady Quark, Lobo, Garryn Bek, Captain Comet, Telepath, Ig'nea, Bertron Diib, Darius, Amon Hakk, Zena Moonstruk, Borb Borbb, Davroth Catto, Lydea Mallor, Stealth

Plot: At The Ice Man's lair, Lobo runs a gauntlet of traps which ends with him falling into a pit thousands of feet deep and The Ice Man filling the pit with rocks; Dox absurdly decides to hold a ceremony on another planet even as L.E.G.I.O.N. is falling apart and many planets inform Phase that they are cancelling their contracts; Lady Quark, jealous of Dox's romance with Ig'nea, seems ready to quit; Lydea, feeling like the core members don't want her around, considers quitting, but the other recruits convince her to stay.

And at the ceremony, Dox shocks everyone when he announces he is dissolving L.E.G.I.O.N.

Thoughts: What should be a series of earth-shattering events feels underwhelming instead, due to this story arc's slow pace and lack of tension. This is not the first issue I've disliked, but it's the first one that fails to stir any kind of emotion, good or bad. The worst response I could possibly have to an L-20 issue is one of indifference.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,912
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Super Lad Kid
Super Lad Kid
Michigan