Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester), 14 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/19/24 11:59 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 11:13 AM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 11:13 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Should I stay or should I go ?
#651047 07/20/03 09:15 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Should I stay or should I go? If I go there will be trouble, if I stay it will be double...”
- some damn song lyric that’s been in my head.

Okay, this is a long one. Whatya think I’ve doin for two days? Having fun? No, writin’.

So grab a cola, pump up your attention span a bit, and get comfortable.

Yesterday I had concluded that I don’t belong here. That might yet be the case. I have written two member resignation letters. But I’ve reconsidered today.

So I ask myself what’s it gonna take for me to stay?

I’ll get to that main issue further down. But first some background. Some of this is chopped from my resignation letters, so hopefully it’s not too jumpy.

It was my intention to reveal my prior ID of bbz in a week or two, but someone else has decided otherwise. I had hoped to do so after members had gotten used to my new persona of Reep, and then discuss why I came back to MBs, and also point out that bbz is long, long gone.

When I left the DCMB, I mentioned that after 42 years, I was getting out of comics. I was serious and I have sold most of my comics (many that I’ve had for over 40 fuckiin years! ) And I’ve only bought a few issues of Legion (nothing else) off the stands.

After websurfing a while ago and discovering a coming DCMB revamp and being fascinated by the subsequent events, I had concluded it was interesting but that looks like that’s it me. But early this month, Legion World came online and it made me reconsider the conclusions I made when leaving DCMB. I slowly, eventually, realized I could join this great board without going back to comic collecting, and simply just have fun posting and enjoy the forums. Posting on a Comic MB without comics?! It was crazy enough to work!

Yeah, well. That was then, this is now. I felt the recent discussion issue I raised was legitimate, but in I can see the majority speaking (some with a little condescension,) against me. I think the real situation here is mostly generational conflict. IIRC, according to my Legion World Census, I’m the oldest responding member. The big majority are twenty years or more younger than me. As many have now said, they seem to prefer the quick and short posts. I don’t that much. It may be inevitable that I’ll be first to leave this party. Irreconcilable values and perspectives, yadda, yadda.

But what’s it gonna take by me for me to stay?

It seems best that I spend less time on writing. My topics and posts just don’t get what I consider the amount of visibility due the time I spent on it. Should I therefore spend even more time searching back pages for them to bump up above the flood posting? Is this reasonable? The majority say yes, I say no. So like any small minority facing an implacable large majority, I will adapt, in this case by doing less real writing here.

Which means even though my Polls are in another forum, it would be too frustrating to not follow up all the work I put in the Polls and Tallies/analyses with some entertaining discussion topics over here. So fewer Polls. I will probably let most of the current ones close before I do a new one. The Poll I mentioned about possible new romantic match-ups among all the Legionnaires won’t happen. Clearly, too much work.

For those who didn’t know, my one alt ID is Nardo. Nardo’s history. It takes time to craft that cartoony villain & his snarky radio advice.

I had hoped after revealing the previous bbz ID to start creating new Legion humor, like the stuff I reposted last night. This stuff was by far the most popular of anything I did at DCMB, more than the memoirs or Polls, and probably even my Indexes. I have great fun creating these, but they can be time-consuming; sometimes I’ll work a few days on one. It’s an art thing.

These changes of focus have begun already.

But my real change has already occurred. When I joined Legion World, I intentionally abandoned the confrontational, sometimes belligerent bbz approach used at DCMB. Those that remember bbz’s approach will see the big difference in my posts in this last debate. In raising the issue, and specifically in the manner I did, I was responsible and respectful. I did become a bit frustrated by the sudden emotional attack that came back at me for simply raising the issue. But I never brought out the knives and venom that is easily within my powers of professional expression (yeah, yeah, and poor grammar.)

If I remain a member here, it is my sincere intention to maintain this respectful approach to others. I feel it is PRIORITY NUMBER ONE in making this place better than DCMB or Rob’s MB. I intend to do my part and go offline if I’m approaching any serious “attack mode,” either from perceived provocation or inattentiveness on my part.

As to the “big discussion” I created, since I feel my opinion was repeatedly misrepresented, I believe I deserve a final chance to express why I raised this issue.

During the discussion, when Lash “outted” the bbz ID, he mentioned that because TD and bbz have “a history” she would surely respond. Any such “history” is news to me. Truly. But then TD has so many alternate IDs, who knows. I don’t keep track of them. Why should I? I guess one of those got into a spat with bbz. Again, who knows. We all eventually have tussles on the MBs. But there’s no history that I know of.

Here’s why I really created the discussion topic.

I had posted a topic pointing out that it seemed The Legion MB was gravitating to the sensibility of the old DCMB Legion board and the Mission Monitor Board was gravitating to the sensibility of the old Legionnaires board. Nightcrawler posted what seemed to be an agreement and that this had somewhat been his intention.

On Friday, I believe, I counted around 12 or more topics by TD on the first page, all apparently created that day. (I myself have created about 12 Polls, but these were 1 or 2 a day, and they seemed more numerous because there were few others creating Polls until recently.) I had two responses to TD’s “flood:” what happened to the forum diversity that it seemed everyone had organically adopted and NC had intended? And secondly, this topic flood naturally brought up reminders of the spamming of Rob’s MB.

Which was very ironic to me because it was TD and others who reacted to it with a total board lockdown. It seemed her actions and apparent indifference to where this board was going and was intended (so stated by NC) demonstrated the same indifference of the trolls that spammed Rob’s. TD’s intent may not have been malicious, but it sure seemed she was suddenly claiming this board as “another” board for “Legionnaires” MB party style posting and to hell with any old Legion MB sensibility.

This was were I was coming from. But a majority of you, very emotional at times, said no, TD’s our bud, TD’s cool, and you’re way out line, Reep. Popularity’s pretty important around here. More than Legion?

Lash said TD would have something about all this, she would contribute. He was 100% wrong. I agree with Lash, she should have come forward and spoke. But she didn’t. Her avoidance of criticism here has eerie similarity to her amazing cloistering after the meltdown at Rob’s. A bad pattern, TD.

So, anyway, after seeing TD’s “invasion,” I had to post a discussion topic about what actually is the nature of this forum. Such was my intent and words, but TD’s pals made it out to be an attack on TD. It wasn’t.

I honestly don’t have animosity toward TD, but I do find her avoidance of debate to be without merit. That said, I do find some of her jokes funny. I just don’t want to open a zillion topics to find them.

[TD, for what it’s worth, here’s my professional comedic advice. You can tell me to go to hell, but here it is anyway. Combine your topics and jokes into more integrated material. They will magnify each other’s humor; the sum is far, far greater than the parts. You’ve mastered spontaneity, try moving more into the more challenging higher level of observation and discovery, of weaving the lightning jots & jolts of absurdity into a mosaic of explosive hilarity and misdirective romps. Try going beyond the playtime that is “first drafts.” Leap into the magic, the craft of rewriting. That is the real sweet arena, the real jungle shivers. Again, for what it’s worth, the advice of one who makes some money writing comedy.]

[Edited out some snide comments about humorless editors. Though true, it was mean.]

And as a fellow member, I ask you TD to please consider a little more consideration in the volume of your posting. Consideration isn’t the enemy of fun. It’s the enemy of contempt. So says the ex-bbz!

Which brings us finally to a more real history I have. Greybird.

Greybird, Greybird, Greybird. bbz, bbz, bbz.

laugh

We’ve had some real donnybrooks, haven’t we, Grey? Almost the stuff of MB legends, but of course there’ve been far worse wars than our brawls. I think you enjoyed it a wee bit more than me, but we really put the damn butts in the seats! If we were as smart we both think we are, we would have got the popcorn concession. I said popcorn, but no, you said feather dusters. I am blaming you for my semi-poverty and surprising lack of sporty wheels. And no big-screen TV. Don’t forget the big-screen TV.

Thing is, Grey, sorry, but I don’t want to play anymore. bbz really is gone. I’m too old and just uninterested in any MB clash of keyboards.

Life’s short. I’m not going to waste my remaining years in MB feuds. With anybody.

I believe I understand the confrontational tone in your post on the discussion topic. I know most of the old DCMB’ers here figured out my past ID a while ago, as did you, but at that point, “bbz” had just been outted, and considering our history, your first response was naturally, “Oh hell, the asshole’s out! To the walls! Get those crocs in that fuckin moat!”

bbz’s not out, he’s long gone. It’s clear my former bellicosity has left the building since I didn’t get involved at all in your “Dawnstar isn’t Shikari” topic. Considering that you actually put a link on my Poll topic directing people away from it (rather than just mentioning you’re creating a topic,) and also that even though it was my Poll and question (with your view specifically included in the response,) you never once that I could see addressed me about it. If bbz was around, all of it probably would have been casus belli, and horns would have been locked, and our keyboards probably would have blazed away for days. (A flamewar is invigorating, isn’t it? wink )

I believe you had realized my past ID before then, and that part of your intent in the topic was to gauge my reaction. I wasn’t happy about the link, but my response was, well, it’s Greybird, he’s gonna do this stuff whenever he feels threatened, real or not, about Dawnstar. Grey, I understand you’re going to go overboard a few times about Dawnstar. And I trust, as occurred in your topic, the rest of the board will bring you, when necessary, back down to Earth (so to speak! smile ) I really don’t care one way or the other about the character. Dawnstar’s a favorite for me of the Superboy Period, but of my 42 year history with Legion, she doesn’t make my personal Top Ten.

We actually do appear to share some Legion opinions: Sherman of course, our recent concurrence about the key importance for comics of Cockrum’s departure from DC, and I guess at least some disinterest in Five Years Later Period. But I really doubt either of us thinks we’ll become “pals.” (I’m not here to create friendships anyway. I have more than enough friends in the real world. I’m here for Legion discussions, creative outlets, and just fun.)

Our personalities and philosophies don’t really sync that much, yet I think Reep and Greybird can co-exist at Legion World with probably only some occasional agreements to disagree, and even sometimes just agreements. (And maybe a rare “count to ten.”) Works for me. How about you, Grey?

So that’s pretty much it. Boy, I hope I never have to write something as long-winded as this for a long time. Maybe you quick-and-short posters do have the right idea after all! Any responders should not try to match this wordage without adequate medical coverage.

BTW, I have noticed the sudden increase of “serious” topics in the forum. A quasi-flood, by crikey! I’ll take that in perhaps at least small measure to be an expression of some agreement with me about the worth of such topics. Okay, give your ol’ noodles a rest. You can stop now! Please! “You’re scaring me, man!”

Legion World is a great place and I’m sure it will grow even more into a major comics site. Really. NC & LL have done a truly phenomenal job. Hey, it was good enough to get an ex-comicfan like me to join. That’s sayin’ something. There’s growing enthusiasm here, and as long as we respect each other, I predict many more good things ahead!

So I’m going to stay around, at least for a few weeks. And if this doesn’t turn into a mandatory boardwide “Party! Party! Party! Actung, Baby!” then I’ll probably stay on.

It’s probably too late, but I agree with whoever suggested a possible solution to all this would be a forum entirely devoted to the party posting. I think The Klordny Festival would be an excellent title. But that option may have opted out. Still a good idea to my minority perspective.

I heartily thank everyone who waded thru all this and hope we all can continue here with our unique fun.

LLLW!

Reep, not bbz

ChameleonBoy

Re: Should I stay or should I go ?
#651048 07/20/03 09:21 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Okay, I'm gonna go take a bath. It's averaged 103 damn degrees for the last 4 days, and looks like another week of it. Not kiddin. (If I haven't lost my temper cause of that alone, then, brother, bbz is dead and buried!)

I'm tired. I don't know if I'll get back tonight to LW to read any responses to this "white paper."

ChameleonBoy

#651049 07/20/03 10:49 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
some points:

I was merely letting you know why -I- thought TD wouldn't respond to you and that was it.

As far as your confrontation with TD on the old DC Legion board, I remember it very vividly as does she. But if we're truly making a change, I shant mention it again.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#651050 07/21/03 12:57 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Alright, Lash. I appreciate it.

ChameleonBoy

#651051 07/21/03 01:01 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
NO MORE NARDO?!?!?!?! Sat it isn't so!!!

I loved that three-eyed alien bastard! frown

Seriously, I really admired the comedic responses you crafted in that Nardo thread. I'll be sorry to see it go.

#651052 07/21/03 02:16 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Stay. That goes for Nardo, too.

#651053 07/21/03 02:37 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't know you as bbz. I guess you came along after my time on the DCMBs. So I missed all the fireworks and flamewars. But I must say I like what you're doing here and I hope you'll hang around.

#651054 07/21/03 02:45 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Thanks for the support, guys.

Loser Lad, what about "The Time Trapper"? That was my first user name at DCMB. Ring any bells?

I thought I saw your user name around then. But it has been over two years now!

Atmos' armpits!

ChameleonBoy

#651055 07/21/03 03:01 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
And here I thought I was the oldest member....

You have to decide for yourself, Reep, if you want to stay here. As far as I'm concerned, the door is open to all, provided they play by the rules - and if some of us get on more or less well, we should just avoid each other, reach some compromise or learn to live with it. Like me, you've got fewer years left on this earth than you've already had - might as well enjoy them; feuds, animosity and resentment aren't going to contribute much to the fun. And, as Yoda said, a terrible price is paid for the power they bring.

I don't know any of this past history with you and anyone. Never heard of you or BBZ until recently. I'd say, like the experience at Rob's Board, to just put it aside. Just get on with what we/you/I may have learned from it. Some issues just don't get resolved to everyone's liking.

Many people here truly appreciate the things you've written, either by Reep or Nardo, myself included. This was expressed in the "serious discussion" thread. You're not going to get any prizes here, you know that - and may not even get vocal recognition or feedback to the extent you would like or hope for. Don't you just enjoy the time you spend working on your topics, thinking up ideas? If you don't love doing that, if you don't enjoy reading what others have posted here (in general), don't continue.

I would be very sorry to see you depart, but it's really your decision. We don't vote here on who belongs. No one else can decide but you.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#651056 07/21/03 03:03 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Vaguely, though I might be confusing you with The Time Tryst, who was also posting at the time. I stopped posting at the DCMBs in April 2001, so if you were there before that we probably crossed paths.

#651057 07/21/03 05:23 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Reep, I appreciate having your comments. I'll offer an answer to your initial question, in all sincerity, and it's the same one I'd say to anyone else:

If you want to engage in civil and (where it's requested) on-topic discussion, and not interfere with others' doing so -- of course you should stay and participate, and I would welcome reading what you write, and I'll be in the forefront to say so on both counts.

And I'll note one long-standing difficulty at the outset:

Whatever strife you've had with me, or anybody else, would be alleviated in large part if you provided some way to contact you in private. You never provided an e-mail address on the DCMBs. You haven't yet done so here at Legion World, but it's not as important here as to protecting one's privacy, as we can use private messaging ... but you've turned off private messaging.

I am asking you (and everyone here, for that matter) to provide some public e-mail address, even if it's a freebie at Yahoo! or Hotmail for greater personal security. Or to turn on, and to use, private messaging. Or, preferably, both of these, to offer alternatives. Yet at least one -- if you are sincere about avoiding misunderstandings.

What I have to say in response below is meant to be civil, but it -- and the comments you made about me, which I appreciate your having written here in the same way -- really belonged all along in private contact. Not amongst those who have heard enough about it, or who don't know and don't care, or who are by now fed up to the gills with either or both of us.

{[...] We've had some real donnybrooks, haven't we, Grey? Almost the stuff of MB legends, but of course there've been far worse wars than our brawls. I think you enjoyed it a wee bit more than me, but we really put the damn butts in the seats! If we were as smart as we both think we are, we would have got the popcorn concession. }

I never responded to your final "donnybrooks" fully on the old DCMBs. And now, since you bring them up, is the time.

No, Reep, as much as I can understand and appreciate the putting-it-behind-us tone ... I cannot agree with you about this. I have never encountered anything, in nearly two decades on the Net and its precursors, to equal what came down, what you directed toward me fifteen months ago.

I have to note, out of wanting the facts to be on the record, exactly what that was, for the benefit of newcomers -- if they care about it.

Reep (then Bizarro Brainiac Zero) and I had long had disagreements, civil ones, about many Legion matters. We even had some severe misunderstandings and less than careful turns of phrase. What we did not have, however, at the end, was a "brawl." "We," for that matter, had nothing, because at the end, I did not and would not respond to you.

You directed nearly two hundred messages of the foulest possible personal abuse -- the site's obscenity filters permitting -- toward me on the Legion board at the DCMBs. Most of it in one thread, but portions of it in as many as a dozen other threads. I never perceived or understood your motive.

I state for the record, and want you to know now, that I did not read more than about half of it. I had reliable reports, from DCMB members I trusted, about the content of the rest. With the bile and invective involved, I could not endure it, and would not let it give me even a pinprick of an ulcer.

In scores of Net and BBS discussion forums, I have been forbearing to an extreme degree about dealing with such personal attacks -- when I am not a forum owner, that is, as I was not at the DCMBs. This, though, I finally could not accept.

You deserve to know that in my sole such act as a user of the DC boards, I alerted Rob Kamphausen to what you were doing, and requested that he delete those threads. I have been told that at least one other person made the same request. Rob did so. (He could not or would not delete individual messages, and in this case, it would have been pointless anyway.)

I will state this once, about the facts of the past, as I never did on the DCMBs, and then let it rest: You behaved at the end not with civil disagreement, and not even in the manner of a "brawl," but with abominable and unacceptable personal abuse.

I am entirely willing to move on and correspond civilly with you again, in this new venue. I'm all for "bygones," when they're sincere, as I believe yours are.

Yet you deserve to know that I am not going to forget that this happened. And I will not put up with anything similar, here or elsewhere, from you or from anybody else. And if it happens again, I will do what I can, and talk to whomever I must, to stop it and to delete it.

That is all that I'm willing to say about that episode, directly and in public. I'm willing to talk about it privately, civilly, and at reasonable length, if you wish -- and if you provide a means for me to do so -- but not in public. Not another word.

{[...] Thing is, Grey, sorry, but I don't want to play anymore. bbz really is gone. I'm too old and just uninterested in any MB clash of keyboards. Life's short. I'm not going to waste my remaining years in MB feuds. With anybody. }

I'm entirely glad to read this, and I hope you will follow through with what you resolve.

{ I believe I understand the confrontational tone in your post on the discussion topic. [The reaction I had to the poll question about Shikari, as it related to DnA's statements about her.] I know most of the old DCMBers here figured out my past ID a while ago, as did you, but at that point, "bbz" had just been outed, and considering our history, your first response was naturally, "Oh hell, the asshole's out! To the walls! Get those crocs in that fuckin' moat!" }

I fear you're mistaken. My reaction had nothing at all to do with your being the one-time BBZ, which by then I did suspect. It was a point I have had as a Dawnstar fan's -- and an integrity fan's -- sore point for several years now, since Shikari first appeared. It also was overstated in regard to your poll question, as I finally noted in making my regrets to you on that thread.

I wasn't going to bring up the details of the past, or react to the past, unless you did so. I'm quite willing to live with how you respond now, as long as it's civil. Anyone else here ought to feel the same way.

You can reasonably surmise that I was dismayed at the potential for what could happen, once I realized who you were. Legion fandom isn't so huge as to not make your personal style noticeable. Or mine, or that of many others.

Yet whenever I can, I react, not to potential problems, but to possible gains. I have long admired your Legion knowledge and passion. You are one of the most articulate people who have used these or the DC boards. You care about detail. I would be foolish in the extreme, especially with your being civil here, to rule out any encounters with you solely on the basis of the past.

{[...] Considering that you actually put a link on my Poll topic directing people away from it (rather than just mentioning you're creating a topic) [...]}

No, I put a link to my response elsewhere for interested parties to follow -- assuming that they would use another browser window or tab, to not lose their place with your poll topic. It's a reasonable assumption these days, I would say.

You don't need to presume such a directing-away, not with what can be done by right-clicking on a link these days. Web browsers are far more versatile than that. I assure you that my motive was to fully state my case elsewhere, and not to interfere -- even marginally -- with the progress of your poll.

{[...] and also that even though it was my Poll and question (with your view specifically included in the response), you never once that I could see addressed me about it. }

That, I'll say again, is what private messaging (or e-mail) is for. Not every such matter has to be put forward in public. If it's about such mechanics, or personal reactions or relations, I always prefer it to be done in private.

Your question sparked a hot button of long standing for me, and it had to do with whether what creators say is going to be automatically mistrusted. Any kind of quarrel, so to speak, with Legion fandom at large in regard to it was not directed even at you, really. Except for my overreaction to the poll question, as such.

{[...] I believe you had realized my past ID before then, and that part of your intent in the topic was to gauge my reaction. }

I had realized it, with reasonable certainty -- but yet again, no part of my intent was to provoke a reaction from you as such. I took it as the occasion to put forward my own thoughts, in LW.net as a new Legion fan venue. Your question was merely the excuse for doing it. If anyone else had made (as I saw it) the same assumption about DnA's veracity, I might have set off on that tangent with them.

{ I wasn't happy about the link, but my response was, well, it's Greybird, he's gonna do this stuff whenever he feels threatened, real or not, about Dawnstar. }

Well, no, I'm not. As you say yourself, life's too short. I care about that character, deeply so, but what was done with her stands in the printed record, no matter whether or how she's "brought back." I'm not foolish enough to feel threatened. My enthusiasms are deeper-rooted than that.

My issue was with honesty, and the tendency of many fans to put their own assumptions ahead of what those who create this art may profess -- when they have the chance, and the place, to do so. Until recently, they rarely had much chance, except one-on-one at conventions. And they didn't have any ongoing place to do so, apart from letter columns, until the rise of the Net.

I could have brought this up about any characters. Shikari and Dawnstar are among those I care about, so that was where I made my point.

{ Grey, I understand you're going to go overboard a few times about Dawnstar. And I trust, as occurred in your topic, the rest of the board will bring you, when necessary, back down to Earth (so to speak! smile }

I would be disappointed if they didn't do so. That's part of what I'm here for, after all, to have my enthusiasm shared with others, finding where it makes sense -- and where it may not.

{[...] I really doubt either of us thinks we'll become "pals." (I'm not here to create friendships anyway. I have more than enough friends in the real world. I'm here for Legion discussions, creative outlets, and just fun.) }

I doubt the first, as well. {the biggest possible rueful smile}

And I'm here to think out loud. Friends come from the Net, when we're lucky, but I don't go into any discussion venue assuming that they will. I've had some marvelous, life-enriching friendships arise from Net activity. Very little of any of the opposite. Yet I don't expect it, I'm simply glad to cultivate what may come along.

{ Our personalities and philosophies don't really sync that much, yet I think Reep and Greybird can co-exist at Legion World with probably only some occasional agreements to disagree, and even sometimes just agreements. (And maybe a rare "count to ten.") Works for me. How about you, Grey? }

Well, I agree with you wholeheartedly about this -- even if, as may be, nothing else. (Don't all of the rest of you leave the cyber-room at once, expecting an earthquake {g})

{[...] Any responders should not try to match this wordage without adequate medical coverage. }

That makes two ...

{[...] Legion World is a great place and I'm sure it will grow even more into a major comics site. Really. NC and LL have done a truly phenomenal job. }

Three strikes, and you're in.

Welcome to Legion World, Reep, and I hope your current version will stick around.

#651058 07/21/03 05:23 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Reep, I too missed most of your DC Boards conflicts, although I have heard a few stories. I think it is understandable if people are wary of your intentions. You say that you have changed, and I will give you the benefit of the doubt, although for others the proof will most likely be in your actions.

It has always been my belief that everyone should be welcome, so long as they agree to peacefully co-exist with the other posters. I'm not saying we all have to get along 24/7, but we should do our best to try smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#651059 07/21/03 06:54 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Reep, I do hope you decide to stay. Nardo as well.

I missed out on all the fireworks at the DCMB as well, coming in for just over a year before the fall. And while I could never understand some of the flamewars I did see going on, I respect everyone's right to disagree with anyone, as long as it is kept civil.

So far, thank the Luck Lords and all you great people, we have kept the civility here. I hope it continues that way and I will do what I can to make sure it does. But healthy discussions, even disagreements, about what drew us all together in the first place is the lifeblood of any board.

And again please continue your in-depth serious discussions. Like I've said, even if I don't participate I still enjoy the good read they provide.

Also, since Grey brought it up, any of you that do not wish to have a publicly displayed e-mail and do not want to take advantage of the PM function, we (Gary and I) could always act as an intermediary, relaying any messages if so wish. Just another option to keep in mind.

#651060 07/21/03 08:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
compulsive-obsessives at war. God I hope none of them have access to the button.

Nardo! Nardo! Nardo!

I like TD's humor, I like BBZ et.al.'s humor, I like Grey's h...., uh I like Grey.

What's it all about Alfie? smile

#651061 07/21/03 09:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Stay...If there's room for me, there's room for everyone.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#651062 07/21/03 10:06 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Okay, I'm new here, but I'm gonna chime in anyway.

I think that the source of a lot of conflicts on message boards is that posters tend to personalize them. We either post from home or work, places where we're comfortable, and when something happens which we don't like, it feels like an invasion. Sometimes people react strongly when they feel like they've been invaded. I don't know if that's the case here (or was the case here in the past) but I'm throwing it out there anyway as an explanation of message board behavior.

The best thing to do is to think of a message board as a park. There are a bunch of people there, and every so often something happens which gets everyone's attention, but for the most part there are a lot of private conversations going on. If you listen, you can hear them, and even join in. Mostly people zone them out and focus on their own conversation(s), but usually there are only a handful of people paying attention to a particular conversation at a time. It's all about focus.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't expect to follow every thread on the board, I just pick and choose my spots. I expect to miss out on stuff. I expect some people to be on topic and some people to be off topic, and that's life. I have no more expectations of a message board being organized than I do of a park being organized because at the end of the day, people are people, and they're gonna do what they're gonna do anyway no matter how many rules are put in place.

Does that make sense?

My powers are Legion!
#651063 07/21/03 10:16 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Dev Em:
Stay...If there's room for me, there's room for everyone.
There's room for everyone in my alarmingly oversized pantaloons!!

#651064 07/21/03 10:24 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Señor Widebottom! You and your gloriously oversized pantaloons have been missed!

#651065 07/21/03 11:28 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Grey, I appreciate your civil and frank sincerity. [Civil and Frank Sincerity - a nice couple, two kids, nice little green house over on Elm I believe.] I was uncertain quite how you would respond. Last night I did catch your posted apology of my Poll when I updated it with the closing notice.

I do admit that when I was at my worst with you at the DCMB it was probably the angriest and least restrained I have seen of anyone at DCMB. (Not excusing it at all, but I never saw the GL fights or that stuff with SK8Maven, so I can't compare those.) And considering it, it was probably the angriest I had or have been for a long time, certainly in that it was so sustained, as will as venomous. (I might make an exception to that regarding a few dunderhead editors.)

And it was at a clear higher level, well, let's say lower level then you were responding. That was somewhat the "point," the wrongheaded rationale of it. I wanted you to see what it was like from the other side, to what I obviously exaggerated regarding how I felt you had dealt with others, particularily newbies who disagreed with you.

I had somewhat cast myself as hero to your villain (I think as comcifans, we may do this more than we realize in our MB debates.) But my askewed reasoning was to become a bigger villain than I perceived you at the time. Once I headed down that emotionally charged path of contempt, well, we saw where it lead. And with my writing skill, my invective was perversely imaginative.

So let me apologize again for all the grief of that, as you say, war, not brawl. (I don't know if you ever saw my last farewell at DCMB, I did apologize there to you as well, and to any others I had locked horns with.) I had been mean for some perverse "joy" of meaness. Again, I'm sorry for all of it. "Heroism" can justify almost anything in it righteousness. We see this in any fanatic, regardless of philosophy or cause.

As to your general request regarding an e-mail addresses from all of us, I'm afraid this is something I personally can't agree with. The primary reason for me is that this isn't my computer. I don't have a computer. But I also am very wary about putting personal info out on the web. I just don't trust it and never will. Too much chance for mayhem and worse for the small benefit of e-mail.

Obviously, because of your strong connection with computers and the like, this is something you feel at ease with. I don't and never will. I'm not a Luddite, obviously, since I post on a MB, but I cast permanent suspicion on the whole thing.

The Web to me should be viewed somewhat like sex in the modern age - you're sleeping not only with your lover, but with everyone they've slept with; you're not only offering personal info on the web to those posters you're familar with, but to anybody else out there who's surfing, or even hacking. So as I am very circumspect in one, I am in the other. I didn't make it to my creeky age thru wide-eyed innocence!

If others do not share my concerns, then the choice and consequences are their's. My advice is caution. I will never waver from this position, for any reason, for any dare, for any greed. I have much more that is important to me than anything obtainable on the web. And I say this while loving the fun here at Legion World!

Priorities. The Real World.

I thank all the other members who've chimed in here with support and I'll be staying for a while as I said. I am retiring Nardo though. Cutbacks have to be made. But Reep will probably be engaging in his own nuttiness as evinced by last night's "reviving two jokes?" topic.

Uh, and if anyone see's Krypto, Ferro would like his arm back. In whole. Or part.

ChameleonBoy

#651066 07/21/03 11:35 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Reep:
As to your general request regarding an e-mail addresses from all of us, I'm afraid this is something I personally can't agree with. The primary reason for me is that this isn't my computer. I don't have a computer. But I also am very wary about putting personal info out on the web. I just don't trust it and never will. Too much chance for mayhem and worse for the small benefit of e-mail.
There is still the option of making use of the site's private messaging system. The messages remain here on the site, so you don't have to worry about shared emails and the such. It's no more dangerous than posting here in a thread, really. That way, if you did decide to take a discussion or disagreement off the board to discuss in private, it would enable you to do so without compromising your email address.

Just a thought (or rather, a second thought, since Grey actually mentioned it first smile )

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#651067 07/21/03 11:14 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
For me, PC, I already over-indulge my friend's generosity in my use of their computer, and additional time with what you describe would not be best.

And as for my time, I'm only able to find time to check out about 1/3rd of the topics in addition to my creativity activity here, so private messaging would just eat up my dwindling free time.

I can say what I want to say in the topics. And at it's worst, e-mail and the like can become just gossip, which I have little taste for. Unless it's about Legionnaires!

BTW, my ego might be affecting my judgment here, but by my count, 174 new members have joined since I acknowledged my prior bbz ID. laugh

Disturbing coincidence or mass asylum escape?

ChameleonBoy

#651068 07/21/03 11:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
174 new menbers where? The count at the top of my computer screen says 94, and most of those have been here for quite sometime before the aforementioned bbz acknowledgement.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#651069 07/22/03 12:45 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
BTW, my ego might be affecting my judgment here, but by my count, 174 new members have joined since I acknowledged my prior bbz ID. laugh

Disturbing coincidence or mass asylum escape?

Uh, KP, kinda like emphasis on the laugh

tongue

ChameleonBoy

#651070 07/22/03 08:42 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer

I am retiring Nardo though. Cutbacks have to be made.
Dang, I needed some dating advice. First Ann Landers dies, now this. sigh

#651071 07/22/03 08:44 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Dang, I needed some dating advice. First Ann Landers dies, now this. sigh
There's always Amber and Umber smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,854
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
brigort
brigort
PEI, Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star