Roll Call
0 members (), 17 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/28/24 09:35 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:56 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:28 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Should I stay or should I go ?
#651072 07/22/03 12:29 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
[Reep]
{[...] And as for my time, I'm only able to find time to check out about 1/3rd of the topics in addition to my creative activity here, so private messaging would just eat up my dwindling free time. }

I have to respectfully disagree, Reep. It takes 30 seconds -- once -- to turn PMs on in your user profile. As long as it took to write and update, on the same Webpage, your occupation as being "Ex-Pope of Durla. Now I don't have to wear that stupid hat. Or lederhosen."

It takes under one minute to open a second browser window or tab, right-clicking, when you have a flashing alert, and to read a single private message of reasonable length. Any PMs stay on file until you can read, reply to, or simply delete them. And the sender knows that, and when, you have read one, with your having to do nothing else.

You clearly feel you have the time to summarize polls when -- and I must say this just once -- they rarely need summaries. We can see that, for example, four of 40 respondents being bisexual are thus "one in ten" without your saying so. Your "what if"s and humor posts are entirely creative. Such summaries really are not.

Some matters do occasionally require private contact, or it's more courteous to others to simply not put it in public. PMs are not merely a conduit for "gossip."

I am asking -- as a personal favor, if you're sincere about better relations, and not in anyone else's name -- that you take the 30 seconds to show such courtesy as to at least receive such notes, by turning this feature on through the link at the top of the page to "my profile."

Or to say, directly, that although you have the time -- and we know you do -- you simply don't want to do so. One or the other.

I would have asked you this privately ... but I can't do it yet, and I would like to have been able to do so. I won't keep bringing it up. I had to request it one last time, though.

#651073 07/22/03 01:35 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Grey, I understand the sincerity of your request. But as you have distilled my choices in this, it finally comes down to this - I don't want to.

And it would be significant additional time for me, since I am more verbose than brief, more contemplative and evaluative (currently!) than certain and ideological in composing my words.

It might be brief for others, but not me. The "Ex-pope of Durla..." quote you cite didn't spring forth fully formed. They rarely do. An old painting professor of mine expressed it well: people subconsciously assume it took the same time and effort to create something as it takes to experience it's result. We don't see the difficult process or feel the pain of creativity. I might add that that ignorance of process is necessary and often central to the magic experienced in any art appreciation. The same can be easily argued for spiritual enlightenment, but I'm getting tangential.

Verbosity! It killed Socrates! And everyone thinks it was hemlock. Hah!

So, I'm just simply not interested in e-mail or versions there of. I decline your sincere request or anyone's to expand into that area. Don't want to. Not interested. Forever and ever. End story.

As for my Tally summations, Grey, others disagree with you on them. Many posters over the years have expressed enjoyment with my commentary and the additional ease of viewing they provide. You may be quick enough to do the ratio conversions on the numbers, but most others aren't. And pretty much everyone enjoys the ordering of data by highest responses first. Besides, I usually have fun doing them, even if they can eat up some hours.

I will be doing less of those (maybe only half as much?) but I feel they still provide some unique opportunities for fresh observations and off-the-wall humor.

And by god, that's never stopped me or the Bulgarian Navy before! laugh

ChameleonBoy

#651074 07/22/03 03:18 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
I appreciate your finally being more specific about PMs. If you ever do care to get feedback about your postings or presence that's not shaped by its being placed in a public forum -- and with some honesty that isn't inhibited by its being said in public -- well, you know what to do.

And as for "ratios": All I can say is that you and I learned fractions and proportions by the third grade, and I can't quite believe that the current government schools aren't even bothering to teach them. (The nuns and private and home schools are.) Still, I've had that particular bit of self-delusion before {rueful smile}

#651075 07/22/03 05:46 PM
Active
Active
Oy! What have I stepped into? frown

#651076 07/22/03 06:46 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
The 31st Century.

See that Time Bubble?

Get in. Sit Down. Hang On. Throw up.

Okay, still needs a little work...

ChameleonBoy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,306
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Non-Magnetic Kid
Non-Magnetic Kid
We're coming Vee!!!!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star