Roll Call
0 members (), 15 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Reboot - 04/19/24 04:18 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Summon the Heroes!
#678815 07/30/03 03:19 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
I ran across the photo below when I was reorganizing my files. And it made me pull up, at once, for the umpteenth time, my RealPlayer copy of one of the most inspiring, hero-evoking pieces of music I've ever heard.

It's one of the works of Olympic Games theme music written by John Williams, "The Olympic Spirit." You can find it (as I did later) on the CD "Summon the Heroes," where it accompanies Williams's brilliant orchestral suite of that title written for the 1996 Centennial Olympics.

This shorter brass-and-strings piece is more compact and vivid, and is my own favorite. When I saw the event and athlete shown below at the 2002 Winter Games, I was so exhilarated that I had to search the Net for a file of this. (It came from a semi-official Williams site, not from Kazaa or similar sources.)

You can download the RealPlayer version of "The Olympic Spirit" here , either to play directly after receiving it, or to save as a 637 KB file. (Be sure to use a file name ending with ".rm" if you save it, not ".ram".) It runs 4:06.

Take a listen to it at full length, beyond the snippets you've heard on the NBC broadcasts, and tell me whether it would be a vivid theme for a movie (of any kind) with the Legionnaires. I believe it would! ... if the Olympics didn't have first claim on it *sigh*

And the girl below? Sarah Hughes, o'course, who won the gold medal in individual skating after the most beautiful such performance I've ever seen -- and one of the most improbable turns of judging, as well. She never came out on top in any one category, but she was consistent and strong in all of them, bar none ... and that, with her passion, won the day. As we want to see happen with our fictional heroes, wouldn't you say?

It's the only portrait of someone without wings that I've yet let anyone post at my Yahoo! Group, Pteraphiles . Because, nonetheless, sans wings and ring, she was F L Y I N G!

[Linked Image]

Re: Summon the Heroes!
#678816 07/30/03 07:23 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Great pic. Boy, I wish I could do that - and live. It must feel FANTASTIC!!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#678817 07/30/03 08:24 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Greybird:
-- and one of the most improbable turns of judging, as well.
now now, what about the improbable turn in judging when the russians got gold in the pairs when all they did was screw up.

#678818 07/30/03 02:18 PM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
That pairs brouhaha wasn't "improbable," it was the result of corrupt judging, from all accounts. And the Canadians did deserve the sole gold medals. For once, the Olympic officials admitted fallibility. I saw it as a high point, not a low point, to resolve it as they did.

#678819 07/31/03 12:37 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
An ICE skating bump, because it's Too Darn Hot. And I'm gonna go play that .rm clip again!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,847
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Crymsun Kid
Crymsun Kid
Korugar
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star