Roll Call
1 members (Lard Lad), 13 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/24/24 09:11 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/24/24 06:38 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/24/24 12:59 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Homecoming (Onevision)
Invisible Brainiac #777680 06/30/13 01:03 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
The Upper Nile, Sudan and South Sudan
Earth

The quiet, steady glow of the sunset above the Nile was punctuated by flashes of light and flame as Blaze and Invisible Brainiac darted around their opponents. A frightened Viki huddled in her cage as Blaze clipped a drunken Alexandra, who could now barely keep aloft.

"Stop it! You already have us beat, why prolong this?" Viki screamed at IB.

"They're too powerful," IB explained. "I see you've stopped trying to radio for help."

"I'm sure it was your doing," Viki replied.

"Exactly," IB replied as he dodged a gust of wind from Tarrin's Dragon aura. "Hmm, I think we've drifted into Sudan territory. Sunset is still breathtaking though." IB flew towards Tarrin, who was now throwing lightning at Blaze. "Stop attacking my boyfriend, please," IB said as he zapped Tarrin.

"And stop attacking my sister! What have you done to her?" Tarrin responded angrily. Alexandra had now merged back into one; her intoxication was causing her to babble uncontrollably. Her aura shifted from one form to another - Virgo, Pisces, Scorpio, Taurus.

"Time to put her out of her misery," Blaze said. He crept up behind Alexandra and gave her a nerve pinch; he gently deposited her in the same cage where Viki lay.

"Just keeping her under control. I know her; she won't listen to us unless we prove without a doubt she should. Unlike you. You're slightly more reasonable," IB said as he blocked Tarrin's attack. He dove down and hit him with a hard light battering ram. Tarrin dodged and countered with a Rooster cry. "Light is faster than sound, Tarrin. Face it. You cannot beat us both by yourself."

"I must try," Tarrin replied calmly. His Dragon aura began to increase in size, and his physical form altered as he grew bigger and bigger.

"Uh oh," Blaze said. "I don't think we want to wreak destruction over a populated area such as the Nile, do we?"

"Agree," IB replied as he pushed a button again. "Let's go."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 02/04/14 08:14 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #777699 06/30/13 02:09 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Kuralan kylämäki, Finland
Earth

Farm animals scattered as Blaze barreled through the "Village of Living History" that preserved ancient Finnish farming traditions. Moos, oinks and squawks echoed across the countryside. Tarrin followed behind, sonic screams and bolts of lightning flashing all around.

Blaze turned sharply before he reached a stack of hay; Tarrin flew right into it. He quickly burned most of it away with his dragon's breath.

Too late though; he crashed right into the rock in his path. Invisible Brainiac appeared and gave Blaze a high-five. "Think that'll make him stay down?" Blaze asked. "I don't think so..." IB replied.

The rock shuddered, then exploded. The air was filled with piercing sound, and both IB and Blaze fell to their knees. An enraged Tarrin stood before them, eyes glowing. "You fill both die, now."

"Sorry, not in the agenda for today," Blaze replied. As Tarrin opened his mouth, the world faded to white once more.

Invisible Brainiac #779115 07/09/13 03:55 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Seven Sister Waterfalls, Grenada
Earth

"I do so enjoy the soothing sound of water falling," Invisible Brainiac said as the group appeared over the many beautiful falls on the island of Grenada. "Too bad we have to be in battle now."

"Of course, we wouldn't have to if you'd be willing to listen a bit..." Blaze addressed Tarrin. "You seem a bit more open-minded than your friends."

Blaze's query was met by a bolt of lightning.

"Okay, I guess not," IB replied. "A shame, really. Let's talk." IB tackled Tarrin into the sky. "You talk of segregation, but the prosperity of Grenada started when neighboring countries answered a call for help to restore order after a coup d'etat. Look at it now. Isn't it peaceful? And prosperous - Grenada has a highly developed banking and financial services industry and one of the lowest crime rates in the Western Hemisphere."

"I am sure a lot of rot lies beneath the surface," Tarrin spat as he wrestled in IB's grip.

"Grife, what more could you want?" Blaze said, exasperated. "In our little jaunts we've been to several places where countries must coexist - Ukraine and Belarus, Cote d'Ivoire and Guinea, Oman and the UAE, Sudan and South Sudan, Malawi and Mozambique; even in Slovenia, Australia, Tajikistan and many more countries around the world their treasures survive only because of the cooperation of multiple nations!"

"They only pretend to cooperate while secretly plotting! And what good does that do the common man?" Tarrin raged as he morphed into Dragon once more.

"Well, at least we gave it a shot," IB said as he pinched a nerve in Tarrin's neck. As he went limp, Blaze shook his head. "He was fighitng out of anger at the end. Not thinking at all."

"Well, let's see what we can do for our captives while we get as much information as we can," IB replied. "Let's go collect our ride home."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 07/09/13 03:55 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #779139 07/09/13 10:15 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Boa Vista, Cabo Verde
Earth

The gentle azure waves kissed the golden sands of Boa Vista. Blaze and Invisible Brainiac watched the seagulls circling above as the sun began its slow descent into the waves. It was paradise, marred only by the sights of ten bound figures hovering above the ground.

"They look so peaceful like that, all tied up and sedated with their powers nullified," Blaze quipped.

"Doesn't feel quite right though, keeping them captive," IB said. "They're only being manipulated., Course, they did try to kill us..."

"We'll set them free once we put things right," Blaze replied. "Now the question is, can we talk them into joining us?"

"You saw how we tried getting through to Tarrin. There's a chance, but I wouldn't bet on it."

The two fell silent as a large wave came in. IB dug his toes in; the gentle lapping helped him relax. "In any case, I don't think we can stay here. Cabo Verde is one of the best-governed nations in Africa; ten unconscious people would be discovered pretty quickly."

Blaze smiled as he checked his Omnicom. "I have a few ideas on out-of-the-way places where we can stash these guys for a bit..."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/17/14 02:21 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #779144 07/09/13 10:50 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Atauro Island, Timor-Leste
Earth

"Amazing, how pristine this reef is even after a thousand years! Invisible Brainiac marveled as they swam through the warm waters of the Pacific.

"Told you," Blaze said proudly as he surveyed the site. "We're very near the Coral Triangle. The Timorese did eco-tourism right way back in the early 21st century; now they're as rich as most of their neihgbors. Timor-Leste even holds the ASEAN chair now."

"To think that Singapore didn't want them in at first," IB laughed as he towed their ten captives, all still sedated. "This makes for a good diversion and rest stop, but..."

"I know," Blaze said. "Not the best secret base and prison." He fell silent as a school of brightly colored torpical fish swam past. "Uh oh, divers in the distance."

"Well, it was nice while it lasted. Next stop, captain?"

Seconds later they lifted out of the water and flew off.

Invisible Brainiac #779147 07/09/13 11:12 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
The Puszta, Hortobagy National Park, Hungary
Earth

"Oh give me a home, where the buffalo roam," Invisible Brainiac sang as they descended over the plains and wetlands that were once the home of an ancient pastoral society in Hungary. Sacattered groups of animals and old houses dotted the plains.

"No buffalo here, but plenty of cows and horses..." Blaze muttered. "And shepherds and farmers." He looked crestfallen. "Huh, I thought for sure we'd be able to find some wide open spaces."

IB patted Blaze's shoulder. "Don't worry your cute little head, honey. I like this place. It's good for the soul."

"Aw, sweet baby. But we can't stay here."

"Not for long, but we can at least spare a half hour or so. Come on, join me," IB said as he plopped down on the ground. Their captives, sealed in a light bubble, were still slumbering.

"How could I say no?" Blaze smiled. The two lay down on the soft grass, holding hands and staring at the beautiful sky above.

Invisible Brainiac #779241 07/09/13 11:57 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Rapa Nui National Park, Chile
Earth

Invisible Brainiac stared at the jagged, carved brows on the Moai Statues dotting Easter Island. They looked like somber sentinels of stone, and he wondered if they would approve of what they were doing.

"Here we are, Easter Island!" Blaze said cheerily as they landed. "One of the most remote places on the planet. You have to take off from Chile or from Tahiti to get here by conventional air travel, and even then it takes nearly 5 hours. Few islands on the planet take longer to reach. With tourism on the wane globally, I wouldn't be surprised if there were no guests."

"And the locals?"

"No more than the few dozen needed to keep the tourism facilities running. The rest have long since left for greener pastures. But if that's a concern, we can always hide out in the extensive cave system."

"You really did your homework, baby," IB smiled as he kissed Blaze on the cheek.

"Didn't want you to have to be the tour guide all the time," smiled Blaze. "Shall we?"

As they glided over to the caves, IB looked at the signal devices they'd collected from Alexandra and company. They were dormant because of the scrambler he'd attached; anyone on the other side would simply think they were out of range. "I wonder if the big bad is starting to get suspicious. Does he think it's taking too long? Would he have expected us to be taken down by now, or maybe he thinks we're still fighting?"

Blaze paused as they peeked into the caves. "I don't think it'll matter, as long as these ten can't awake and interfere with us. But you're right, we do have to move fast."

IB's mind began rushing as they entered the cave. "So much for a relaxing data gathering trip..."

Invisible Brainiac #781550 07/28/13 07:24 AM
B
Deputy
Deputy
B
IB, baby, thanks for writing this wonderful story. I love how it feels so real. The dialogues are just witty and fun. It's easy to relate because you made the characters just like you and me.

Keep writing!

Invisible Brainiac #782314 08/04/13 10:14 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Hey baby! I'm so glad you're all caught up and I'm glad you like it smile

In my mind, it really is you and me having all these crazy adventures. That's why I'm so motivated smile

Invisible Brainiac #783881 08/18/13 11:33 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
The Mohale Dam, Lesotho
Earth

Invisible Brainiac surveyed the peaceful Basotho village below them. Built on the banks of the banks of the Senqunyane River, it had prospered through the centuries; its villagers manned the dam now with expertise to match the best abroad. It was no longer a village but a bustling city. Yet unlike some of the monolithic monstrosities elsewhere, there were plenty of green spaces. It was a good marriage between man and nature.

Invisible Brainiac looked at the captives, each bound with light that rendered them immobile. His powers ensured that each thought he or she was alone with himself and Blaze, while equipment they had borrowed blocked out any scents or sounds. They could hear only what he and Blaze wanted them to hear.

"What do you think aout the dam below?" Blaze asked their audience. "It's only stop one on our little world tour. You're lucky; offworlders would pay millions of credits to see all the sights we're going to visit."

"We chose these as symbols of cooperation on our lovely planet. See that dam and city below? Lesotho would never have been able to build it without South African assistance in the 20th century."

IB and Blaze watched impassively as their captives sneered and growled and yelled expletives. They couldn't hear each other. "Can't we tune them out?" Blaze asked. "Some of them are making me feel very dirty."

"I wish, but we shouldn't," IB said. "If any of them shows signs of seeing our side..." He waved his hands and began magnifying the lightrays from below. They could see native Basotho people working alongside people from all over the world to maintain and operate the dams. They seemed to be cooperating very well. "Just one big happy family."

They stared again for a moment. Most of their captives kept railing and struggling, but one, the girl who could control sand, looked at them with a hint of curiosity.

"I think we may be making headway," Blaze said. IB nodded, and they opened a portal.

Invisible Brainiac #783913 08/19/13 06:57 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
The Gracanica Monastery, Kosovo
and
Sopocani Monastery, Serbia
Earth

"Isn't it amazing, that two nations that almost went to war so many times have made peace?" Blaze gazed out over the beautiful Gracanica Monastery in Kosovo. "Buit in the Byzantine style, its nuns have kept the ancient Serbain arts of painting and sewing alive."

"They couldn't have done it without the support of the governments of both Serbia and Kosovo, of course," Invisible Brainiac added. "Their brother monks in the Serbian monastery of Sopocani practice the same arts, and though they lie far apart, today they make it a point to work together to keep the Serbian Orthodox traditions alive."

"They also work hard to protect their monasteries. After all, each has been recognized by UNESCO for its status as an example of ancient architecture," Blaze pointed. "Look, here come some monks in a hovercar now."

IB brought them in closer, and they could see the nuns coming out of the building to greet their brothers warmly. They loaded supplies into the monks' hovercar and took off. IB followed at a discreet distance; though they were invisible, it was wise not to get too close.

"See how friendly they are being with one another?" Blaze asked. "They must have been working together for a long time."

"Tied by the same religion," hissed Alexandra. "You would not find that sort of cooperation amongst people of diverse beliefs."

"And what do you call yourselves?" IB pointed out, being careful to speak only to Alexandra. "I know some of you are Buddhist, others Muslim, others Christian."

She fell silent for a moment.

"Although you come from different countries, different religious beliefs and different ways of life," Blaze said, picking up his cue, "you and your comrades have worked together for a common goal. Don't you think the rest of the world could too?"

Nobody spoke.

As they flew over the monastery, they watched the monks and the nuns landing. They piled out of the hover car, supplies and artwork in hand.

"Looks like one big happy party, doesn't it?" IB said.

They watched as the sun set and the monastery lights came on. It did indeed look like a party.

Invisible Brainiac #785366 08/29/13 12:03 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Sundarbans National Park, Bangladesh
Earth

Multi-colored flags of many countries billowed in the wind beside the towering trees of the largest mangrove forest in the world.

"India and Pakistan and China are obvious, and we have neighbors Myanmar and Thailand. But we also see flags of countries as far north as Iceland and Ukraine, and as far south as Botswana and Argentina and Samoa," Invisible Brainiac pointed out.

"The Sundarbans remains the source of maybe 60% of the total wood and forest products on Earth," Blaze added. "We still have a fair amount of forest cover, but no other country has been able to strike the proper balance between production and conservation. Bangladesh was able to, but only with the help pf all these nations represented here."

IB leaned closer to the girl with sand powers. "Take a look, Adia. Scientists and administrators from all over the world are working together to keep the place running."

He let her bonds dissolve, though of course she could not access her powers. And she had nowhere to run; she was stuck in the same light bubble as he and Blaze were. IB created small holes for the breezes outside to waft in. "See how pristine it is? Yet this area supplies paper to over 120 of the world's nations. And most of those have a stake in the operations. While a bulk of the profit goes to Bangladeshis, the nations which contributed to the development and operations get a hefty discount."

She stared straight ahead, as if not hearing him. The sounds of the forest mixed in with the lightly salty smell of the water; the warm sunlight was mitigated by the cool shade provided by the trees.

It was very much a place of life.

Adia could not stop looking around in wonder.

"There are many more areas like this, Adia," Blaze said gently. "A lot of beauty is created only through cooperation."

Adia stared ahead wordlessly.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/18/13 06:45 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #786759 09/07/13 10:33 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
The Museum of the International Committee of the Red Cross, Switzerland
Earth

"Didn't think you'd see any old Earth institution last for a thousand years, did you?" Invisible Brainiac asked.

"Humaniy, impartiality, neutrality, independence,voluntary service, unity, universality..." Blaze recited.

"They have a snappy museum, too!"

"What do you think, Adia? Your people were once devastated by war. Surely you've seen that some were helped by the Red Cross."

"I have seen some of their buildings, yes..."

"Ever been treated by one of their nurses? Attended one of their seminars?"

"I... Yes. I knew they existed in other countries, but..."

"Surprised they have such a wide reach? That they exist in nearly every country on Earth?"

"Come on, let's take a look inside. You'll get to see just how much they've done over a thousand years."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/18/13 06:46 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #786895 09/08/13 06:47 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Ouadi Qadisha and the Forest of the Cedars of God, Lebanon
Earth

"Don't you just love these grand names? Cedars of God, indeed. They're magnificnt enough, aren't they?" Blaze asked as he sat under the shade offered by the tallest cedar they had found.

"Their numbers wre once greatly diminished," Invisible Brainiac continued. "But the people of Lebanon, along with the international community, were able to restore them. Until now, the Valley is prized not only for the cedars, but also for the religious buildings which stand here."

"The cedars themselves are used not only for timber, but as a pilgrimage site. It's beautiful here. Right, Adia?"

Adia tilted her head at them curiously. "Why are you doing this? Why haven't you tortured us or turned us in to Earthgov yet?"

"Why?" IB leaned forward, hands spread wide in an expression of openness. "Because we want to talk. We want to understand why you think you need to drive the people of different countries apart."

"I... because... because there are those who wish to conquer and assimilate. They... they destroy and raze and kill..."

"I had heard of them from reports, but Earthgov dealt with most of them in the last few years, didn't they?" Are there any still around today?"

"No. Only because we put a stop to them."

"Indeed. I know Earthgov didn't do everything by themselves. But... why do you wish to keep the peoples separate still?"

"Because most of Earth's major conflicts, if not all, were caused by the meeting of people who were different from one another. People who could not agree."

"Valid poin. And I suppose the lack of a strong government, of strong political institutions, after the fall of the Corporations made people even more likely to disagree. No?"

"Yes," Adia spat. And this time there was more venom in her eyes. "The UP and the LMB meddled in our affairs and freed us. But what came after was not much better than life under the Corporations. At least with the Corporations, there was order."

"Earthgov did not want us to help," IB said, troubled. "But some of us did help. I agree though, we did not help soon enough."

"Tell that to those of us who lost loved ones in the conflicts then," Adia said as she turned away.

".. I think we're done here for now," Blaze said. "Let's just enjoy the view a bit, why don't we? After all, these cedars took hundreds of years to grow."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/18/13 06:46 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #786905 09/08/13 08:56 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Monastery St.Pantelejmon at Plaoshnik, Republic of Macedonia
Earth

"I thought you, out of all ten of you, would be the one to appreciate this site the most," Invisible Brainiac told the redheaded Irish young man who refused to give his name. "Given that your power is activated verbally and all."

"It IS just the place where the Cyrilic alphabet was invented," added Blaze as he snapped a holo. "One for the books, for sure."

"What's your point?" Red asked. There was no mistaking the contempt in his voice.

"But hey, the Cyrilic alphabet was just one of the bases of Interlac," IB continued. "Along with English, French, Chinese, Japanese... Heck, most of the major Earth languages contributed at least one character to the Interlac alphabet."

"A truly international alphabet," Blaze added.

Redhead looked away. "We don't need such an alphabet. Our individual languages work fine."

"A unified language played a big role in Earth's successful repelling of the Invasions of 2225," IB noted.

"That was a tough alliance," Blaze nodded. "Durlans, Khunds, Thanagarians... Earth was only able to present a unified front because they agreed to unite behind a common leadership."

"The nations had to put their egos aside and agree that they needed one another. You would have cried if you'd seen it. Lebanon finally made peace with Israel. Pakistan and India put their emnity aside. Russia asked the Baltic States for forgiveness. China humbled itself in front of the ASEAN nations."

Red stared at the white walls of the monastery. "That was long ago."

Blaze looked at IB and shrugged. "At least come on in and enjoy the beautiful scenery. After all, this was one of the first universities in all of Europe. THE first, some sources say."

"I was hoping you'd appreciate THAT tidbit," IB said as he turned to enter the building. "After all, I heard you were a History and Linguistics major, Seamus."

Red's eyebrows climbed to his head. "How did you know my real name?!"

"Deas bualadh leat," IB winked as he greeted Seamus in Irish. "A little knowledge of languages IS useful, no?"

Seamus' jaw dropped as IB and Blaze entered the building.

Invisible Brainiac #787572 09/15/13 11:31 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Earth

"You know, there was a time when Burkina Faso was one of the most obscure countries on the planet," Blaze said as they swooped down through the skies over the bustling capital.

"It was a long struggle, but towards the end of the 21st century Ouagadougou had started to really become Africa's art capital," IB replied. "By the early 22nd century, nearly every African country was represented in the Panafrican Film and Television Festival.

"I'd think some of you would appreciate that. You, Maria, you used to sing didn't you?"

Maria looked away. IB treaded carefully; she had been an up-and-coming singer a while back. He'd snuck out of Earthgov once to listen to one of her concert. She had been good. He hadn't recognized her right away; she had changed a lot.

So had he.

"I'm sure there are many people, in and out of the Philippines, who would still love to hear you sing," he whispered as htey landed in an alley, away from the crowds thronging Ouagadougou's streets. There were Africans from everywhere; he saw flags from as far north as Libya to as far south as Mauritius and Botswana. And he could see nationals from Europe, Asia, South America... the whole world was there, it seemed.

"Art is a good unifier. It touches the emotions and captures the imagination, and all nations can relate to that. Don't you think?"

Maria looked at him somberly. "It can also tear people apart. Cause war and conflict."

"So it can. People are unpredictable. But I don't see the negative happening here," Blaze noted. "What I do see is people from all across the world coming together in mutual appreciation and discussion."

Maria looked at the screens all around the square. Films taking place in settings all over the globe were playing.

"Maybe it IS dfferent now. But how do you know the violence that erupted before won't happen again?"

IB leaned closer and looked into Maria's eyes. "We can make sure it does not. Would... would you like to tell us more about what did happen?"

Maria met his gaze, before turning away. "It's not like I have anything better to do right now."

Invisible Brainiac #791684 10/22/13 11:35 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Earth

Invisible Brainiac breathed in the faint smell of salt in the water as he reclined atop the slow-moving junk that cruised the waters of Halong Bay. Blaze leaned on the railing beside him; unlike IB, Blaze hadn't been able to visit here before fleeing Earth.

Maria sat silently beside them as she took in the breeze. "The salt smell... you can tell the water here is very healthy."

IB furtively checked the remote in his pocket. The power dampener was still on.

"I can't use my powers yet," Maria said. "I'm just used to the wind."

Blaze sat down across her. "I'm sorry. After the wounds we took in battle with you and your friends, we can't afford to let you loose until we've had a chance to talk."

Maria shrugged. "I suppose we'd do the same if we'd been able to capture you. But right now I want to talk, too. What you've shown us... It is hard to believe that the whole world isn't in more chaos. I'm surprised that people of different countries have been able to cooperate like that without resorting to arms or intimidation."

"The water here is another example of that, Maria," IB said as he gestured outwards to the bay. "Halong Bay used to be terribly polluted. But efforts were made to clean it up, partly because endangered species like the ba langur cat live here and partly because the karst formations in the area are among the most extensive in the world."

"Are you saying it was only preserved because it has some value?"

"It would be untrue to say it wasn't prioritized because of its value. But I like to think that, after the Corporations' power dissolved, we have learned enough to know how to find value in all things. And to preserve even that which has no immediate known value."

Maria stared out into the bay as the junk passed through tall limestone pillars. "After the Corporations left, many of our homes were torn apart by those who wanted to control their own valuable resources. You should know. The Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao attempted to break away from the Philippines again after eight hundred years of peace. The New People's Army was revived as well, and began terrorizing much of the eastern provinces. My own family had to leave our home behind and flee to Manila." She kept her voice even throughout, but IB could tell her scars hadn't fully healed.

"I'm sorry. The UP's lack of assistance must have made you, and many others on Earth, feel overwhelmed and abandoned," IB started.

"Did... did other countries get involved in what was happening?" Blaze asked.

"Not their functioning governments; at least not overtly," Maria said. "But you should know that the Sabah issue was raised again. Malaysians from Sabah and Filipinos from Mindanao fought in both areas to see who would dominate resource-rich Sabah. Armed civilians from Brunei and Indonesia brutally protected their homes. Vietnam, Taiwan and China took advantage of the chaos to rebuild settlements in the South China Sea, in direct violation of the agreement that has held since the late 21st century. It WAS chaos."

"I had read a little about that," IB said somberly. "Ceasefires were eventually reached, but the situations are tenuous at best. It was much like that all over the globe, wasn't it?"

"Tensions in Northern Africa and the Sahel over unclear borders, especially in the Western Sahara; Puntland trying to break away again from Somalia; the descendant of Kim Jong Un gathering followers in Korea; breakaway regions being forcibly brought back in line in the Caucasus and in the Balkans; the drug trade trying to restart itself in South and Central America. Perhaps now you can see why we wanted to erect iron borders. If each country has problems, let each deal with it on its own instead of infecting other countries with its problems."

IB and Blaze looked at each other in silence. The limestone pillars around them suddenly seemed so restrictive.

Invisible Brainiac #791969 10/23/13 11:07 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
The Romantic Road, Germany
Earth

"I love these poetic names," Blaze sighed as they flew over the Romantic Road from Würzburg to Füssen.

"These monuments to the past can be so beautiful," IB agreed. "I think we just need to remember that these amazing places have dark pasts too."

"Maybe that'll help us appreciate the present even more. Don't you think, Maria?"

Maria scowled at Blaze, but her expression softened quickly. "Our present has its disadvantages too. Sometimes I think it was better when the world wasn't so... big."

"Looking at it objectively, Earth had been on a steep upwards trajectory ever since the 23rd century," IB said as he steered them towards a tall castle that looked like it had seen its share of fairytales. Tourists below were laughing and taking pictures with it. "International cooperation had bettered the lives of people everywhere. Poverty and disease were at an all-time low."

"I know," Maria whispered. "But doesn't what happened with the Corporations show just how brittle that type of development is?"

"Earth hasn't completely regressed yet," Blaze said gently. "There's still hope. Look at that castle. Look at how many nations are represented in the crowd of tourists below."

"Maybe it's just one fairytale in a world of horror stories," Maria said as she turned away.

Invisible Brainiac #791970 10/23/13 11:21 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
The Silk Road Cities
of Uzbekistan
and Kyrgyzstan
Earth

"You know, Maria, I'd intended this to be an example of international cooperation. But I suppose you have a point," Invisible Brainiac said as they hovered above Registan Square in Samarkand, Uzbekistan. "These ancient Silk Road cities were painstakingly restored and refitted to serve as stops along a new trade route. But would they have been if it hadn't been for the newly-rejuvenated silk production in the area?"

"Or their tourist value?" Blaze asked as he flipped thorugh his Omnicom. "We saw so many of them in Bukhara as well. And in Balasugan too."

"Can't say it's all bad though," IB added. "Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan resolved their border dispute peacefully so they could share the revenues from the revived Silk Road. Many Uzbeks now live in the Kyrgyz city of Balasugan, and the Uzbek city of Bukhara likewise has a large Kyrgyz population. Intermarriage is increasing."

"How do you know it won't all fall apart when a power-hungry leader gets power and decides to seize much of that revenue for one country?" Maria asked.

IB looked at her flatly. "If it does come to that, then someone should act. But otherwise? What if it doesn't come to that?"

"I don't know how I can be as hopeful as you."

Invisible Brainiac #792366 10/25/13 11:30 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Boca de Inferno, Sao Tome and Principe
and
Bijagos Islands, Guinea-Bissau
Earth

"Hope you don't mind getting wet," Invisible Brainiac smiled at Maria as they waited beside the Boca de Inferno blowhole on Sao Tome. "We didn't bring the others along but they can see what we are talking about," IB added. "I'm letting them walk around. They just can't access their powers or leave our hiding place."

"Thank you," Maria said as they watched the water spout of the Mouth of Hell. "This is beautiful."

"Sao Tome and Principe used to be a very poor nation. It benefited well from the Great Leap of Africa by learning from its sister island nation in the Atlantic, Cape Verde. Portugal also stepped in to assist its former colony implement reforms. It's quite well off now."

"So is its fellow former Portuguese colony Guinea-Bissau," Blaze added as their feet lifted off from the island. "It used to be even worse off than ST&P, plagued by corruption, crime and violence. It was one of the last African nations to take off. But it finally did, with assistance from neighbors and similar nations like ST&P. See how beautiful the its beaches are now?The Bijagos Islands make good getaways for honeymooners and families alike.

"But you should see what they looked like before," IB added. "People in Guinea-Bissau used to live here."

Maria pressed her hand to her mouth in shock. "How long ago was that?"

"Late 23rd."

She shook her head. Blaze said gently, "Things HAVE changed a lot since then. Guinea-Bissau is by no means the wealthiest nation, but in the past three centuries wealth around the world has equalized a lot more."

"The opening up of borders has lead to the freer flow of goods, services, ideas and income," IB added.

Maria fell silent as she watched the waves gently crashing onto the beach.

Invisible Brainiac #792807 10/28/13 10:14 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Dubrovnik, Croatia
and Moster, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Earth

"Ahh, Dubrovnik. The most beautiful city in Croatia, or so they say. Isn't it beautiful, Maria?"

Maria turned to look at IB and gave a faint smile. "It is."

Blaze leaned towards their other companion. "What do you think, Aleksis?"

The darkly handsome Latvian with the ability to animate inanimate objects shot a dark look at Blaze and IB, and made a fist.

"Calm down, Aleksis. Maria here is appreciating the view, just like we are. Just hear us out," IB said. "We thought you'd appreciate Dubrovnik, seeing as how it was one of the centers of the development of Croatian literature and language. Dubrovnik was on par with Venice way back in the 15th century."

"We thought you'd appreciate how Croatia blossomed after the breakup of Yugoslavia. Much like your own Latvia blossomed after gaining freedom from the Soviet Union."

"More proof that outside interference holds the individual nations back," Aleksis growled.

"Good logic," IB leaned forward, "except Croatia and Latvia both jumpstarted their economic development because they were European Union members when the Second Renaissance occurred in the late 21st century."

Aleksis fell silent as he gazed out across the Adriatic.

"Let's take a quick flight to a city that wasn't quite so lucky," IB said. Mostar, in Bosnia and Herzegovina, had considerably more modest growth. It was bombed heavily after the breakup of Yugoslavia, and spent a lot of time with its ethnic groups divided geographically. It looks like this: this now; this was after the Croats, Serbs and Bosniaks came together to rebuild. It used to look like this.

Aleksis gaped open-mouthed while Maria solemnly looked at the two holos. They were silent the rest of the way to Mostar.

Invisible Brainiac #792809 10/28/13 10:40 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
Earth

"That man is from Timor-Leste. This woman is from Singapore, and her adopted daughter is Burmese. That couple? The wife is Filipina and the husband is Thai. The lady they're buying water from is Cambodian."

Invisible Brainiac pointed at people one by one as they walked down the streets of Bandar Seri Begawan, or BSB for short.

"They're wearing tiny flags of their home countries on their clothes because it's ASEAN Heritage Week," Blaze explained. "It's not like they're being marked or anything. Don't worry about that. It's only in the last 600 years that Brunei became so full of foreigners," Blaze added. "Movement in the ASEAN region intensified after the final implementation of the ASEAN Economic Community, which was around the mid-24th."

"Look at BSB now, though. Brunei had always been a rich nation, but the AEC opened a lot of doors for it," IB gestured around. "Brunei was among the last of the ASEAN nations to become fully democratic; it was slower than Myanmar and Laos in that regard. But as its neighbors began to prosper, it was forced to adapt as well."

Both IB and Blaze paused as they looked at the third of their companions. "I know you're listening, Tarrin," IB said at last. "We're giving you facts only. All we ask is that you listen."

Tarrin continued to look away, counting the flags around him.

Invisible Brainiac #793219 10/30/13 10:52 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Kerkouane, Tunisia
and
Leptis Magna, Libya
Earth

The extensive ruins of the town and necropolis of Kerkouane loomed out in front of the group. It was an invitation, perhaps, to try and understand its secrets.

"Kerkouane is the only Phoenician-Punic city to have survived," Blaze said as he approached the entrance of what seemed to be a large maze. "It's a marvel. Shows how advanced those ancient races could be. Look at how well planned the city layout is."

"I thought you'd like seeing these ruins, Tarrin," Invisible Brainiac said quietly. "You always said your favorite sights in Thailand were the grand wats and temples."

Tarrin turned away as IB spoke. "Tunisia learned quite a lot about urban planning from these ruins," IB continued. "Believe it or not, the ancients knew what they were doing with their checkerboard layout..."

"But even though Tunisia was home to many other civilizations like the Vandals, the Phoenicians, and the Romans, Tunisia never let its identity be subsumed or fractured. It's celebrated its diverse heritage."

"It is beautiful," Maria said. "Our own country doesn't have ruins as big as this."

"No, the Philippines has always been more blessed with natural resources. And most of our colonial structures weren't well-maintained at all. That's why Tunisia has maintained its sites like Kerkouane, Carthage, Monastir, El Kef... To share their heritage with the world."

"Let's jump over to another site in neighboring Libya," Blaze said. "Do the honors, IB?"

IB nodded as he turned them all into light. Nanoseconds later, they were in the magnificent ampitheater of Leptis Magna, Libya. "Now, THIS is a well-preserved piece of architecture!"

"It's... vast..." breathed Maria.

"It has its own grandeur," Blaze winked. "Not as natural as the Rice Terraces back home, but you have to give props to the original builders."

"Just because something doesn't belong to the ethnic group that rules a country in the present, doesn't mean it lacks value for the country," IB said gently.

Tarrin didn't reply as he stared out over the vast expanse that was once Leptis Magna.

Invisible Brainiac #795793 12/04/13 11:03 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
The Mud Volcanoes of Gobustan, Azerbaijan
Earth

"Careful," Blaze cautioned as he and Invisible Brainiac dodged explosions of mud all around them. "I heard that mud's cooooooold."

IB laughed as he narrowly skirted around an erupting column of mud. "Since when have you worried about getting cold?"

"I worry," Maria said with a smile, "so I'd appreciate some care."

IB looked thoughtful for a moment. Was Maria really warming up to them, or was she more cunning than they'd expected? It was always best to be cautious. He gently guided them to the side of the mud volcanoes. "Amazing, isn't it? Azerbaijan and several of its neighbors are able to harness the mud to power their homes."

"I think you can appreciate how this cooperative effort helped bring peace to the Caucasus," Blaze added. "Azerbaijan and its neighbors Armenia and Georgia had to enter into a carefully negotiated agreement on how to develop the mud volcanoes."

"All worked out, though," IB added as he set Tarrin down gently beside them. "Don't you think?"

Tarrin stared at them in stony silence.

This isn't really going anywhere," IB thought. Maria's the only one we've really swayed, and we're not even sure about that...

He stepped away from Tarrin as he let his former teammate take in the view of geysers of mud breaking the stillness around them.

Invisible Brainiac #796059 12/08/13 11:26 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Cappadocia, Turkey
Earth

Blaze and Invisible Brainiac floated over the unearthly landscape of Cappadocia. "It's not as strange to us because we've seen weirder landscapes in our travels, but for most of Earth's natives I think it would be pretty weird," IB observed.

"Like our captives?" Blaze said. "I'm pretty sure most of them haven't been off Earth yet."

"And we've been focusing on Earth and its people in our little educational field trip..." IB muttered. "But is it working at all?"

"For Maria, it did. And some of the others, including Tarrin, seem to be thinking. But I wouldn't trust them unsupervised just yet."

"I haven't gotten word yet from the RMBers left on Earth," IB said. "It's easier to get in touch with them now but they're still not totally comfy with the spotlight. Earth's still a bit of a basket case. And communications with the UP at large haven't been completely restored yet, nor am I comfy with transmitting a full report to Legion World given Earth's status with the UP..."

They fell silent as they landed at the entrance of one of the many underground cities tucked away beneath the imposing peaks. "We can't keep them captive forever. Maybe we should put Plan B into action."

"Yeah, I doubt we can change their minds so easily... I'm just not comfortable leaving them alone while we go out and gather information. Who knows how long we'll be gone?"

They fell silent as they trudged along. The silence in the caves suddenly seemed so loud.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,924
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star