Roll Call
1 members (idle, idle), 46 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/29/24 07:00 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/29/24 06:59 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:04 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re-Reading the Legion: Conjure reads the reboot!
#766965 04/01/13 05:37 PM
And then there was steak!
OP Offline
Right! So, in an effort not to make a huge mess of anyone else's thread, I'm going to start one of my own for the reboot Legion! Feel free to read along! 1994 is technically still the archive!

Issues read: Legionnaires #0, LOSH #62, Legionnaires #19

1: I really liked Tinya in Legionnaires #0. I actually like Tinya a LOT better without Jo. I don't know, I think that once they get together they just become "Tinya and Jo" instead of Tinya and Jo, if you get what I mean. Tinya was so much spunkier without him and he was so much cooler without her. I know they're supposed to be the Legion's ultimate couple or something, but I just wish one of them would die so the other could have some character development. LOL

2: HAHA...LOOKIT LYLE. He was so FUNNY and SILLY in these older issues. Actually, I sincerely like the way he TALKS in these older issues. He says things like "man" and uses slang more. In truth, he got a bit of that personality BACK when DnA came on board, but he lost it for a while. Especially during his run as Legion Leader (which I liked, but didn't like) where he was being all responsible. Lyle is more fun when he's not leading the pack and can be a little bit of a jerk.

3: I so hated Imra back in these days. She grew on me as a character as she GREW as a character. She's so whiny and goody-two-shoes in these issues. IT'S COS'S JOB TO BE A GOODY-TWO-SHOES.

4: Speaking of Cos. Oh good lord, he has some cheesy lines in the issue where James died! GOOD LORD. You know, I really like the way Lee Moder (LOSH 62) draws bodies, but not how he draws FACES. And that never changed in the whole time he was on the book. Everyone has these HUUUUGE wrinkles when he draws their faces and looks about EIGHTY. And yet, he draws these lithe, awesome looking bodies. Go figure.

5: Boy am I glad they killed off James. What a prick he was! Was he an original Legionnaire or did they specifically make his character to kill off? Either way, I was actually kind of SHOCKED that they showed his dead body with it's neck broken flying towards the other Legionnaires. That was kind of risque for the 90's. And Gim...they really needed to kill him sooner. That's another Legionnaire I was glad to see go. It was disappointing seeing him again in this newest reboot when he'd been dead for so long in my mind.

6: XS just never grew on me. I don't know why. I think it's because I just don't get into speedster characters. I'm sure it would be useful on a super team, but XS just...I dunno...she wasn't a character I loved, so it was a disappointment to see her be one of the only Reboot members who stuck around in the current continuum (well, apparently until flashpoint, as she's vanished now).

Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Conjure reads the reboot!
Conjure Lass #766966 04/01/13 05:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I didn't read these but I know what you mean about the faces.

Kid Quantum was introduced 5YL and eventually became a member of the SW6 team in "Legionnaires". He was retroactively input as an early member (which made more sense diversity wise in the 3000s .. sort of ... everyone could be mixed and taupe by then. shrug) who disappeared and then appeared again.

He was a nice guy.

Jo got loads of attention and development in the 5YL when Tinya disappeared to the past. I didn't mind them so much in the first Giffen era, they were always together (and double dating with Mon and Shady) but they still got individual action scenes and dialogue.

Someone has a Lyle crush. Brainy will be jealous!
I didn't like XS until Legion of the Damned when she was awesome.

Conjure Lass #766967 04/01/13 06:05 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Don't forget about Legion Of Super Heroes # 0 as well.
It may be the basic origin story but it is where it all began for the reboot.

I honestly love this Legion and an I'm the process of re-reading it as well.

I'll agree Lyle was so much fun in the earlier days. (I like that it came back in DNA's run particularly because of Brainy. I really like the concept of them being a couple.

Cos is always meant to be the "heart of the Legion and it seems like they were trying to force that concept in that issue.

James dead body being seen, I think was the Legion's attempt at grittiness in this era. And the 90's were pretty gritty, at least in the early 90's and this was '94. But it being a new and exciting possible future, they didn't want to be too dark...

honestly XS was a hard character to like at times. She was useful but usually just boy crazy. DnA's run we didn't see much of her but she seemed to finally had grownup a bit.

I agree I like Tinya without Jo. We don't get to see her apart from him really ever. Evan in Legion Worlds, she's still just am extension of Jo, because it was all about their son and keeping him safe and then about the journey to getting back to Jo.

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
Power Boy #766968 04/01/13 06:08 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Power Boy

Someone has a Lyle crush. Brainy will be jealous!

HAHA! Yeeeeeeeah. But I have a Brainy crush too, so it all sort of works out! *daydreams*

I didn't like XS until Legion of the Damned when she was awesome.

I admit I did like her more during the Legion of the Damned and most issues that came after that. Before that she just seemed so annoying. She reminded me a lot of Impulse (go figure!) but where the writers had managed to make Bart likable while still being obnoxious, Jenni never seemed to have the same feel.

Conjure Lass #766969 04/01/13 06:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
They got the Wily Cat and Wily Kit treatment ... but those cats were ninjas.

Power Boy #766971 04/01/13 06:59 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer

Kid Quantum was introduced 5YL and eventually became a member of the SW6 team in "Legionnaires". He was retroactively input as an early member (which made more sense diversity wise in the 3000s .. sort of ... everyone could be mixed and taupe by then. shrug) who disappeared and then appeared again.

Jeepers! How could you talk about Kid Quantum and not mention "The Soul of Antares"? wink

Omni #766972 04/01/13 07:04 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Omni
Don't forget about Legion Of Super Heroes # 0 as well.

Embarrassingly, I don't OWN that. I thought I did, but apparently there's either a hole in my collection, or it's in one of the other boxes. XD!

Originally Posted by Omni

I agree I like Tinya without Jo. We don't get to see her apart from him really ever. Evan in Legion Worlds, she's still just am extension of Jo, because it was all about their son and keeping him safe and then about the journey to getting back to Jo.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed in that issue of Legion Worlds. I had hoped to see some character development for her, but instead it was just her being saved by everyone and basically being a pregnant lump. Bummer.

Eryk Davis Ester #766975 04/01/13 07:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester

Jeepers! How could you talk about Kid Quantum and not mention "The Soul of Antares"? wink

shake

Conjure Lass #767002 04/02/13 03:16 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Reboot Lyle was so much more interesting than the original version that I tend to retroactively apply reboot characteristics to the first Invisible Kid.

Tinya, on the other hand, was incredibly annoying for most of the reboot. As if that wasn't bad enough, the writers gave her an increasingly convoluted storyline. Her only advantage was beauty. However, it's a classic story, the spoiled princess and the guy from the wrong side of the tracks. Her mother I found more interesting but even less likeable.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Conjure Lass #767011 04/02/13 07:27 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Couldn't stand reboot Lyle. He was like the Wesley Crusher of the Legion, and just really annoyed me. I was a huge fan of Jacques, and Lyle "Kid Wonderful" was just too much of a Mary Sue to me.

Conjure Lass #767012 04/02/13 07:35 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Lyle the spy was great!! Plus he had his own story with supporting characters and his prowess as a brain was given its due. But I can't ever keep track of these versions so I don't know if that was reboot or some other.

With Jacques they could have gone all Flash family. Just keep adding invisible people. And there'd be a Reverse IK, his own evil spy rogues, a gorilla spy, a girlfriend/lover that always brings him back...

Can invisible people see each other or do they spend all day saying "excuse me?"

Blockade Boy #767053 04/02/13 03:10 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
Lyle the spy was great!! Plus he had his own story with supporting characters and his prowess as a brain was given its due. But I can't ever keep track of these versions so I don't know if that was reboot or some other.

With Jacques they could have gone all Flash family. Just keep adding invisible people. And there'd be a Reverse IK, his own evil spy rogues, a gorilla spy, a girlfriend/lover that always brings him back...

Can invisible people see each other or do they spend all day saying "excuse me?"

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the reboot Lyle. All the others were either kinda lame or kinda annoying. XD!

I was sort of sad that they never reintroduced Jacques in the reboot. It would have been a great storyline! I had this lovely fantasy of Lyle helping him escape Earthgov and curing his invisibility (since I think Jacques mentioned that it caused him great pain and was slowly killing him) and them totally having a beer together.

Because this is what I think about in my spare time or while doing mindless things at work. XD!!

Conjure Lass #767064 04/02/13 05:14 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Jacques actually does appear in the reboot, post #100, IIRC.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
He Who Wanders #767066 04/02/13 05:33 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
Jacques actually does appear in the reboot, post #100, IIRC.

He does?! When? I don't recall him being in any other issues other than the Legionnaires issue that he was introduced in!

Conjure Lass #767068 04/02/13 05:37 PM
Legionnaires # 66. Jacques is even cover-featured.

Conjure Lass #767070 04/02/13 05:39 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
I think you're talking at cross purposes - when you said "I was sort of sad that they never reintroduced Jacques in the reboot", he thought you meant "I'm sad they never had a reboot Jacques", whereas you actually meant, "I'm sad the reboot Jacques never became a regular character after his introduction in Legionnaires #66"!

[Note that Lgs #66 was a fill-in, which may have something to do with him not being followed up on!]

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Conjure Lass #767072 04/02/13 05:51 PM
Ah. I was wondering what CjL meant by "I don't recall him being in any other issues other than the Legionnaires issue that he was introduced in!" I thought maybe Jacques had been somehow "introduced" in a pre-boot Legionnaires issue I don't have. (Yes, I know he was introduced in a Legion Annual # 1, hence my confusion.)

But yes, "reintroduced" implied to me that a new version of Jacques had never appeared in the reboot.

Thanks for getting us on the right track, Reboot.

Reboot #767073 04/02/13 05:54 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Reboot
...you actually meant, "I'm sad the reboot Jacques never became a regular character after his introduction in Legionnaires #66"!

This is one of those moments when internet communications failed me. I'm sorry! XD!

Dave Hackett #767143 04/02/13 10:54 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Couldn't stand reboot Lyle. He was like the Wesley Crusher of the Legion, and just really annoyed me. I was a huge fan of Jacques, and Lyle "Kid Wonderful" was just too much of a Mary Sue to me.

Word. Having Lyle save the day vs. Mano and on Planet Hell, fine. Having him invent the flight rings, then be instrumental vs. Tangleweb, then almost outshine Brainy vs. the Composite Durlan also? What the hell? I was a big fan of SW6 Lyle, but got really annoyed at Postboot Lyle.

Fat Cramer #767145 04/02/13 10:56 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer

Tinya, on the other hand, was incredibly annoying for most of the reboot. As if that wasn't bad enough, the writers gave her an increasingly convoluted storyline. Her only advantage was beauty. However, it's a classic story, the spoiled princess and the guy from the wrong side of the tracks. Her mother I found more interesting but even less likeable.

Have to disagree on Tinya. I think she had a good start, being strong yet not bitchy (like standing up to insensitive sci-cops on Imsk in LSH 66, her first appearance in Legionnaires 0, standing up to Andromeda in LSH 68) that made me easier to forgive her later storylines. Didn't find her spoiled at all, but empathized with her mommy problems.

I do agree thayt she's a bit better without Jo. Hacing her be Jo's tactician while fighting the Daxamites in Legionnaires 2 was effective, but made her too passive and made him too stupid.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 04/02/13 11:03 PM.
Conjure Lass #767146 04/02/13 11:00 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Re XS, mildly surprised at all the annoyance expressed. I really grew to like her after Legionnaires 19, I thought the writers did a good job in showing her growth from a fish out of water to a more confident and effective hero. Agree that she was overly spastic at times, but I found that her caring nature balanced it out.

Re Imra, I didn't find her so much a goody-two-shoes as a very bossy and slightly holier-than-thou type, at least at the beginning. In LSH 0 alone, she mind-read both Garth and Alux cuspin without their permission, explaining it away that their thoughts were simply too strong or lewd to ignore. Glad Cosmic Boy called her out on it though, and glad she didn't overuse that ability of hers later on.

Was also glad when Imra finally got the pink power signature in later issues when she'd use her telepathy. Made her much more dynamic. In early issues all she'd do was hold her head - I think some sci-cops laughed about in in LSH Annual 6.

Conjure Lass #767256 04/04/13 04:43 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The scene that really sticks in my mind for Tinya is during The Blight arc, when she, Monstress, Brainy and ?someone else are slowly making their way back to Earth in a ship. And she's bitching the whole way.

It was sort of funny, but for some reason, it totally coloured my image of her, before and after.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Conjure Lass #767260 04/04/13 06:50 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
There are also the parallel scenes of Jo during Legion Lost, when he thinks Tinya is missing. He then proceeds to attack Garth, once verbally and once physically.

Conjure Lass #767436 04/05/13 04:22 PM
OP Offline
LOSH: 63, 64, 65

Legionnaires: 20, 21, 22

-          What the hell, three artists on the same issue?  What, did they have problems finding one person who would draw 26 pages? 

-          It’s fun to see the Legion without their flight rings for a few issues!  It’s always amusing for them to have to use jet-packs and big clunky communicators.  My only complaint with this is that those communicators are larger than most modern cell-phones and this is A THOUSAND YEARS IN THE FUTURE.  What, they don’t have earplugs?  Some sort of communications that they can attach to their throat?  Something else else that doesn’t look like a car phone from 1996?

-          The introduction of Mano.  This was one of the “villains” I always felt bad for.  I mean, I’d want to kill McCauley too.  Truthfully, McCauley was one of the most annoying supporting characters in this boot.  I was sort of glad he died during the DnA run. 

-          Wait…if they were exposed to the open surface of the moon…wouldn’t they start to bounce/float away?  Wouldn’t their lungs explode?  I’m rusty on my science here, but I can’t help thinking they’d be in more trouble than just not being able to breathe.

-          Okay, this was back in the day when Reep was pretending not to be able to understand Interlac.  But waitaminute…doesn’t Invisible Kid answer Reep in Interlac a few times?!  HOW DID NO ONE FIGURE THIS OUT?

-          Hmmmm…Imra can sense a murder from quite a distance away…but when she was right near Mano she didn’t think to read his mind to figure out how his power worked?  Imra wasn’t very good at this whole “superhero” thing in the beginning.

-          HAHAHA!  The man they keep interrupting having “phone sex” cracks me up!  His face in the panel when Gim rips off the roof is GREAT.

-          Go Lyle!  But damn, Kid, did you have to break his arm?!  *LYLE CRUSH!*

-          Whoa, this cover of Ultra Boy is terrible.

-          I was always really unconvinced that Karate Kid would actually join a group like the Workforce.  And the only way it was explained was that McCauley was making it possible for Val to travel and hone his craft?  I didn’t really even know the character (recall this was my first exposure to the Legion) but I had a feeling that it was OOC. 

-          And now we’re inside a star.  Nifty.  I recall that this was one of my favorite storylines, for whatever reason.  Granted, it could be my Lyle crush rearing its head again.  He’s in this storyline a lot.  XD

-          I wasn’t a huge fan of how Brainiac 5 got “upgraded” later in the series, but I was glad when it happened.  He was written just a tad too caustically for me when he was first introduced, though I grew to enjoy him as a character despite that.    

-          Again, I find the tech annoyingly primitive for a thousand years in the future.  Huge covers for the eyes to keep out the rays of the sun?  Really?!  No light reflecting energy goggles?  Not even CONTACTS?  Something else else they can insert in their eyes?  Some spray they can put on?  I sense a lack of creativity.

-          Um…Jo looks like a freakin’ hobo in this issue.  I mean, there’s sexy unshaven and there’s I-live-in-my-car unshaven.  I'm not all hearts and rainbows, personally. Lol.

Conjure Lass #767509 04/06/13 10:29 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Re exposure to space, I read an article on cracked.com that says, apparently, our skin and circulatory system are hardy enough to negate explosive decompression. ooh! so I guess the Legionnaires acted quickly enough to really save themselves.

Agree on Karate Kid. I remember that in Legionnaires 51 the Kid said something like he owed McCauley his allegiance for some reason - but this was totally ignored after he joined the Legion. Meh. Didn't make sense with his whole spiritual thingie.

Am with you on Mano, frankly. He was definitely not evil, which was a nice change of pace.

Did anyone else get annoyed at how Leviathan was always so hot-tempered? Yelling at poor Cham, despite Cham's attempts to befriend him. Tsk.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 04/06/13 10:31 AM.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,314
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
TiJulk MrAsz
TiJulk MrAsz
Vyrga