Roll Call
0 members (), 17 Murran Spies, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:27 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:26 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 41 42
Re-Reads (Now Reading: Swamp Thing: 1971 through 1985)
#779717 07/13/13 01:44 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
This is the topic to talk about comics you've read before and are either re-reading or want to re-read whenever you get the chance! (Not the place to discuss the LSH Archives and other LSH-related projects on that forum.)

I've always got a few re-read projects on my mind, and there's one that I've completed and another that's currently in-progress.

The completed one was very easy, as it was only two issues: Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? I suspect many people here have read it some point. This was the classic tale Alan Moore wrote and Curt Swan drew that artfully closed the book on the Pre-Crisis Superman.

I remembered this one extremely fondly, but I found that the story didn't quite live up to my remembrance of it. It's not that it was now a bad comic, but it doesn't really compare favorably to Moore's best works. Hell, his take on the Silver Age Superman mythos on Supreme was so much more memorable and a wonder to behold. I know, of course, that he had a lot more pages to work with on Supreme. But I also think that the additional years away from the era benefited Moore with more time for him to reflect on the era and to remember more of what made it so great.

I think the biggest thing that made this particular story work not as well for me was the realization that it was so violent. Many of the characters were killed off with brutality and almost as an afterthought. Knowing Moore, I'm sure much of this was done symbolically to pass the baton to the darker era comics were transitioning to. I would have preferred he'd not done so, though, and just kept everything in the spirit of the era he was ending. I think Luthor and Jimmy particularly got short shrift. Luthor was primarily Brainiac's thrall, and Jimmy played second fiddle to Lana, who got a much bigger moment.

There was one scene that remains absolutely spectacular--the appearance of the Legion with Supergirl. Moore hit ALL the right notes there, ending with the great scene of Superman breaking down after they left. Kara's death was such a raw nerve for him (and the readers in proxy), and seeing her younger and unaware of her tragic future was so heartbreaking. The subtle nod toward Invisible Kid's fate was awesome as well. I'd rate this as one of the best Superman and Legion scenes I've ever read!

Lots of other nice touches like the LSV appearing, the way Clark's identity was exposed and the happily ever after, among others. It was still a very worthwhile re-read for me, but just not as awesomely spectacular as I'd remembered it. That's a big risk any time you decide to re-read something you loved...that the reality may not live up to the memory, in this case not quite.

The current re-read is the 12-issue maxiseries Avengers Forever. I'm five issues in. I'll refrain from saying much at this point, but it's pretty enjoyable so far. I've been eyeing this for a re-read for so long because I've missed old-style Avengers comics so much. I knew this was a compact way of experiencing some of that again.

So what have you re-read/are you re-reading/want to re-read soon? Tell us some of the whys and experiences involved! And feel free to discuss the stories and series that other people bring up!

Last edited by Paladin; 02/24/21 08:07 PM.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Re: Re-Reads
Lard Lad #779718 07/13/13 01:49 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Here are some of the others that are on my re-read radar:

-Y: The Last Man

-Daredevil: Man Without Fear
(mini by Miller & Romita, Jr.)

-DnA's Legion run

-the last year of Ennis & Dillon's Hellblazer run (I read most of it last year but stopped after I realized I was somehow missing an issue--I've since obtained it)

-Kree/Skull War

-Thomas/Adams X-Men run

-all of Astro City to date

...and probably many more I'm forgetting! smile

Lard Lad #779720 07/13/13 02:06 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I've reread this one (and the [original] Nail by Alan Davis) several times, and probably will again soon.

[Linked Image]

Lard Lad #779734 07/13/13 02:14 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
So I guess it holds up on multiple reads? I've only read the Golden Age once. I liked it but wasn't overly impressed. I suppose you could say I didn't see why there was all of that acclaim? My reading of it was many years after it came out. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Lard Lad #779736 07/13/13 02:17 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Crisis on Infinite Earths, for me. Say what you will about the continuity problems, but as a stand-alone story it rocks. Only complaint is the scenes thrown in that lead to stories in other books, which have little impact on the main narrative - but then most crossovers have that.

Big plus point is, it includes the first appearances of Doctor Light (Kimiyo) and Kole, two of my all-time favorite comic book characters ever!

Lard Lad #779737 07/13/13 02:20 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Paladin
So I guess it holds up on multiple reads? I've only read the Golden Age once. I liked it but wasn't overly impressed. I suppose you could say I didn't see why there was all of that acclaim? My reading of it was many years after it came out. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I'm with you on this one, Lardy. Golden Age was a solid story which explored how many of our "top" heroes would have dealt with being in a world which had less need of them, but... I don't know. There's just something that keeps it as a good, and not great, story for me. Maybe it's that the original thesis wasn't explored that completely - the old heroes moved on and gave way to a new generation. So the individual heroes had to change, but society as a whole just went through a cycle.

Cooke's the New Frontier, on the other hand...

Lard Lad #779745 07/13/13 04:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I actually re read the Golden Age at least a couple times before I really got into! I really enjoy the atmosphere created around the characters and their mid life lives. I think the original thesis was that these people were past their prime, and what to do when being a super hero ends. none of them were meant to come back to fight in tights ... yet they had to for one more time until a new generation sparked.

(Lardy I am surprised you didn't take to it)

the New Frontier on the other hand I didn't find that interesting ... except for the agro Wonder Woman .. the first couple issues were compelling but then it turned into a short hand for an alien invasion.

One other thing is, I kind of wish I could come to SAGA as I did Y the Last Man (which i've read twice) after it is finished and read the whole thing straight through. same with Morning Glories.

I will have to remember to do so!

I also reread Superboy's Legion and Legion of the Damned.

I'm not that into CoiE really ... I was at the time ... but reading it all together ... I'm not sure ... I think it suffers from the long time scale.

it goes from "AHHHHHHH" in issue #1 to "AHHHHHHHHHH" in issue 9,10, etc.

hmmm

I liked to reread the old Avenger's Master of Evil story lien where they take over the mansion, an understated horror.

Power Boy #779749 07/13/13 04:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Power Boy

(Lardy I am surprised you didn't take to it)

Like I tried to get across, I didn't come anywhere CLOSE to hating it, but I definitely didn't see it as an instant classic. I might, however, consider a future re-read of my TP at some point.

the New Frontier on the other hand I didn't find that interesting ... except for the agro Wonder Woman .. the first couple issues were compelling but then it turned into a short hand for an alien invasion.

Gawd, I lived New Frontier!!! If DC had restarted with this blueprint, rather than the crappy New 52, I would've loved it--if they's done it right, that is. BIG if!

I'm not that into CoiE really ... I was at the time ... but reading it all together ... I'm not sure ... I think it suffers from the long time scale.

it goes from "AHHHHHHH" in issue #1 to "AHHHHHHHHHH" in issue 9,10, etc.

It's been a while since my last CoIE re-read. I want to say I re-read it around the time Infinite Crisis was released? shrug I think I still loved it, iirc. Not sure if the same would be true if I re-read it today. Hard to say.

I liked to reread the old Avenger's Master of Evil story lien where they take over the mansion, an understated horror.

Roger Stern's run and that whole era of East Coast/West Coast Avengers is something I've thought about re-reading recently. Seems like there have been some callbacks here and there lately that have tweaked the germ of an inkling to give it another look. Who knows? Maybe it's in the cards.

Lard Lad #779759 07/13/13 05:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That Sal Buscema art was masterful!

I bet I could go back to Powers and/or Preacher ... after a while but I just read them really so I will let them sit.

Same with Hellblazer ... the wounds are still raw ... but that trenchcoat storyline was too perfect!

Lard Lad #779760 07/13/13 05:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I was going to say I should take a look at the Byrne era West Coast Avengers ... with the reboot of Vision and the old Human Torch and Mephisto stealing Wanda's babies and Wanda visiting crazy town.

It is probably better than I remember, also back then I could only get about 2 out of 3 or every other of the issues.

Lard Lad #779761 07/13/13 05:06 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I enjoyed Avengers Forever quite a lot ... it recalled the time of Stern and Buscema for me ... I hadn't read an Avengers in ages but I picked it up at a Borders or Barnes and Noble book store on vacation while visiting Mr. Peebz family ... and I was really pleasantly surprised.

Lard Lad #779762 07/13/13 05:06 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Songbird made a fan ... I will say no more ... my lips are sealed.

Power Boy #779782 07/13/13 06:33 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I bet I could go back to Powers and/or Preacher ... after a while but I just read them really so I will let them sit.

Same with Hellblazer ... the wounds are still raw ... but that trenchcoat storyline was too perfect!

Preacher was my major re-read project last summer. I'm sure you remember me talking about that in the preacher thread. It didn't disappoint at all. The only thing that was different from expectations was that all the then-groundbreaking, then-taboo content seems kinda "ho-hum" by the standards we have in our adult content comics these days. B honestly, with that stuff being no longer as shocking, it only enhances the core of the story which is all about its fascinating central three characters--some of the best-written in comics history!

Ennis's Hellblazer run is a great proto-Preacher work. He revisits many of the themes in Preacher that he started on Hellblazer. Also, he and Dillon began to work out that great synergy there that paid such awesome dividends later. The big difference from Preacher is how rich Constantine's London world is under Ennis' pen. I'll probably finish that run soon-ish.

Power Boy #779783 07/13/13 06:39 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I was going to say I should take a look at the Byrne era West Coast Avengers ... with the reboot of Vision and the old Human Torch and Mephisto stealing Wanda's babies and Wanda visiting crazy town.

It is probably better than I remember, also back then I could only get about 2 out of 3 or every other of the issues.

Byrne's run on Avengers West Coast (as it was renamed when he came aboard) was shaping up to be a classic, until it just ubruptly...ended...before he finished the 'Dark Scarlet Witch' arc. I'm sure it's been explained somewhere, somewhen as to the whys and wherefores of Byrne's exit, but I always felt we got a softer ending to that storyline as completed by Roy Thomas (iirc) than we would've gotten with Byrne. In any case Brian Bendis owes a lot to Byrne for the source material that spawned years of story for his New Avengers run.

Power Boy #779786 07/13/13 06:51 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I enjoyed Avengers Forever quite a lot ... it recalled the time of Stern and Buscema for me ... I hadn't read an Avengers in ages but I picked it up at a Borders or Barnes and Noble book store on vacation while visiting Mr. Peebz family ... and I was really pleasantly surprised.

Well, Stern co-plotted most of it with Busiek, so I'm sure that's no coincidence! smile

Songbird made a fan ... I will say no more ... my lips are sealed.

Songbird is a GREAT character! As I read this, I find myself regretting terribly that she and Genis didn't pan out as future Avengers as Busiek set them up to be. I think Genis is dead or something, and Melissa has been on-and-off associated with the T-Bolts in some manner or another. You guys will have to set me straight on those two.

I WILL say that the huge responsibility for Genis' ruination lies on the pen of Peter David. His Genis-gone-mad/evil arc was pretty much TERRIBLE! Genis should have blossomed into a premier character based on the great launch pad of Avengers Forever, but PAD just dragged him through the mud and made him as unlikeable as humanly possible. I'd name it as PAD's one glaring, abject failure off the top of my head.

Lard Lad #779958 07/14/13 05:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I didn't read much of Genis' Captain Marvel series but what I did read seemed to read like a Moondragon and Phyla Vell comic with Genis being weirdly abstract and MIA and threatening.

and now we have Marvel Boy ... which I like about the same as Genis but a bit less.

Yeah, it was a shame Melissa got shipped of to the T Bolts when she basically just was starting to blossom as a hero instead of a villain.

I thought the interplay of characters on Avengers Forever was spectacular ... who thought a cast with [edit: temporarily censored for reasons to be revealed!], Goliath (Hank) and Yellow Jacket (Hank) and the Wasp would be such a killer interaction! It is because the story made them distinct by focusing on their different personalities. and it even worked with Captain America's situation during this time was interesting.

Last edited by Paladin; 07/14/13 07:55 PM.
Lard Lad #779959 07/14/13 05:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
and Genis grew so much in Avengers Forever ... placing him at the jumping off point for being a great Avengers ... and then .. tanget!

Lard Lad #779960 07/14/13 05:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Wikipedia says:

"Finally, in a fight with Zemo, Genis is defeated. Zemo traps Genis in a moment in time. He then uses a combination of Blackout's Darkforce powers and the moonstones to separate Genis into individual pieces, trapping them in separate, far-off parts of the Darkforce Dimension so that they cannot be reunited.[14]"

So he seems ... not only dead ... but difficult to resurrect for the next writer.

Lard Lad #779965 07/14/13 06:01 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Tons I need to reread. Soon as I have time (bwahahahaha)

Chief omong them is Sandman Mystery Theater. Great book.

Others include Reread of Age of Apocalypse (the original event, which I loved,) Starman, and the continuing Ultraverse review/documentation project I have to get back to.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

Power Boy #779966 07/14/13 06:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

Avengers Forever is a great dense read.

Lard Lad #779967 07/14/13 06:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Add the Earth X Trilogy to things I need to reread soon.

Lard Lad #779968 07/14/13 06:08 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Now you have me itching to reread Kate Spencer's Manhunter! and the Jack Knight Starman series!

all at once would be great!

Last edited by Power Boy; 07/14/13 06:10 PM.
Power Boy #779971 07/14/13 06:30 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Dev - Em

Chief among them is Sandman Mystery Theater. Great book.

D'Oh! That's one of the ones I forgot to list! Such a great, great series! (Can you believe that a certain Desmonius hasn't ever read this, iirc?!? confused )

Plus, there's another great, but shorter lived, Vertigo series that Seagle also wrote--House of Secrets-that I'm itching to re-read. Such an overlooked gem!

...Starman...

...and the Jack Knight Starman series!

all at once would be great!

I started that re-read a few years back when I purchased the first Omnibus. I loved the HELL out of re-reading that one but got sidetracked when I couldn't get the second Omnibus immediately. (At the time, I'd lost track as to the whereabouts of my individual issues.) Gotta get that one going again soon. Definitely, another I forgot to list earlier.

Lard Lad #779974 07/14/13 06:50 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Paladin

Chief among them is Sandman Mystery Theater. Great book.

D'Oh! That's one of the ones I forgot to list! Such a great, great series! (Can you believe that a certain Desmonius hasn't ever read this, iirc?!? confused )

Plus, there's another great, but shorter lived, Vertigo series that Seagle also wrote--House of Secrets-that I'm itching to re-read. Such an overlooked gem!

To quote the Minions "Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?" He needs to get out there and find this asap. So many layers to the storytelling and Guy Davis art at its best.

Lard Lad #779977 07/14/13 07:57 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, right? smile

I take it you never read House of Secrets, Dev?

Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,938
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Tekwych
Tekwych
New Mexico
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star