Roll Call
0 members (), 23 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:33 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:30 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/24/24 09:11 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Re-Reading the Legion: Legion Lost
#783396 08/14/13 12:00 PM
G
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
G
I recently found the bound hardcover of this miniseries ("Legion Lost" by Abnett & Lanning, not the recent DCnU series) and, although I have the originals tucked away, bought it on impulse.

At the time that it first came out, I wasn't really a fan of it at all.

Now, I'm really enjoying it the second time around. I still don't care for Oliver Copiel's art but, overlooking this, I'd still highly recommend this to any Legion fan.

Of course, the reboot Legion was my favorite and I may be just a bit prejudiced.

Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Legion Lost
Georgehaze #783400 08/14/13 01:39 PM
And then there was steak!
I bought the hardback of this specifically so i'd stop ruining my original copies. I LOVE THIS SERIES. I loooooove it. The storyline was really exciting and compelling to me. I was so excited/nervous about what was going to happen as each issue came out. It was one of my favorite comic experiences, if you get what I mean.

In truth, I really liked Copiel's art. It was enormously gritty at the time (something he's refined over the years into a more eloquent style imo) and I thought it lended itself well to the gritty, desperate storyline that DnA were cooking up.

Yeah. Love this series. It's possibly my favorite Legion series ever. But the reboot Legion was MY favorite Legion too, so I might be a bit biased as well.

Georgehaze #783403 08/14/13 02:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Another fan of Coipel's art. Loved it then. Loved it now.

I honestly haven't read Legion Lost recently but I have re-read it several times. I however take good care of my original children and have no need of the clones. wink

lol

I'm becoming a fan of the oversized hardcovers and will probably re-buy stories as I've money and shelf space.

Blockade Boy #783406 08/14/13 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy

Predictably, I really REALLY like the way he drew Brainy. I can't help but say that Brainy got hotter under Coipel's artistic direction. I think it was the way he drew his hair or those little face ornaments he had going on.

xD

Georgehaze #783421 08/14/13 06:18 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Legion Lost was brilliant, and definitely one of my favourite comic book stories ever. I didn't really like Coipel's art prior to this series, but I agree that it matched the tone of the story perfectly. He became one of my favourite artists from his Legion work, and one of the few artists whose name on a book is a draw card on its own for me.

I had actually gone right off the Legion prior to this series, it was DnA's writing and the great artists they got from here on out that made the Legion one of my favourite teams again. In a way I'm kind of glad the threeboot came along when it did because this version of the team never completely lost its magic like I think 5YL did...

Conjure Lass #783432 08/14/13 08:11 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Conjure Lass
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy

Predictably, I really REALLY like the way he drew Brainy. I can't help but say that Brainy got hotter under Coipel's artistic direction. I think it was the way he drew his hair or those little face ornaments he had going on.

xD

I did as well, especially since he gave Brainy (and Cham) leaner body types than Ultra Boy or Cosmic Boy had. It makes sense - Brainy's not going to spend time in the gym bulking up! Live Wire and Lyle were also leaner and less bulky than, say, Thom or M'Onel.

I may be biased as well because I grew up with the Postboot Legion, but Legion Lost was one of the very few stories (not just Legion stories, my pool of reference here is all fictinal stories I've ever read) that not only surprised me constantly, but made me cheer or cry! The last two issues really made me sob. I think the writers were able to capture all the essential elements that make the Legion THE Legion.

Georgehaze #783433 08/14/13 08:13 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
We should totally discuss this issue by issue ^^ I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on all the little details.

One nit to pick: Umbra acted really mean in issues 6 to 8. She calmed down after, and there was some mental manipulation going on, but it would have been nice to see her try and make amends to Monstress, at least. She apologized to Cham and Jazmin. We did see her looking distraught in issue 12, but I can't tell if it was because of her friendship with Monstress or because of the telepathic link. (I do like to think it was the former!)

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,927
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires