Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Who are your favorite comic book artists, and why?
#804140 03/30/14 07:15 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
The idea for this thread came to me while reading a quote from Dave Cockrum where he credited his artistic growth on the Legion to having inked John Buscema pencils for Marvel in between Legion stories.

John Buscema is my favorite comic book artist, because he did everything well. Not necessarily outstanding, but always well. I've always preferred the humble craftsmen like Big John and disciples of his such as Greg LaRocque, Steve Epting, and Kerry Gammill. Somehow, the wild visionary superstars always somehow come up short for me -- either they do cosmic widescreen stuff really well but draw ugly people, or they draw beautiful people but their layouts lack the needed oomph. It could be argued that Big John never quite equaled his late 1960s work due to some misguidedly harsh criticism from Stan Lee, and indeed his 1970s work on Thor was never quite as great as it should have been, while he was completely miscast on Fantastic Four (but then, who other than Jack Kirby and Walt Simonson was artistically right for the FF? Many would also rate John Byrne, but I beg to differ.) But even Big John's worst was still solid and professional, and that's how I like my comics. Big John was also a ground-breaker in drawing team comics thanks to his work on Avengers during the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Another fun, though bittersweet, thing about being a Big John fan is that he did so little work on DC characters that I often have a blast imagining what might have been if he'd switched companies (I seem to remember reading somewhere that acquiring Big John's services was something of a Holy Grail for Jenette Kahn.)

I mean, imagine Big John drawing Wonder Woman (he actually did draw a few panels of Wonder Woman when she guest-starred in the second Superman/Spider-Man team-up.) Or any version of the JLA. Or reviving something obscure like Viking Prince. Or reteaming with Roy Thomas on All-Star Squadron or Infinity Inc. Or even -- dare I imagine -- the Legion!!

So that's my story. What's yours?

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Re: Who are your favorite comic book artists, and why?
Fanfic Lady #804192 03/30/14 11:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
There are several, so I will hit them one at a time. These are the artists that make me want to check out a project, regardless of the publisher.

First up we have Michael Allred. His art to me is just amazing. There a simplicity to it, but at the same time can be extremely detailed. It never looks over crowded to me...unless he plans it to.

From his own Madman and Atomics characters, to the Superman crossover he did with Madman. His work at Marvel with X-Force/X-Statix to the FF and now Silver Surfer, he shos himself to be versatile yet consistent. His characters look like they are wearing clothes. Something else else that I have come to really appreciate over the years. Give me someone wearing an outfit and not a naked picture with lines and colors on it any day.

His characters are rarely static. There is constant movement, if ever so slight. A head tilt, a slight downward glance, a kid sticking their tongue out in one panel...it all adds to the reality that he is trying to convey.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

Fanfic Lady #804195 03/31/14 02:11 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I like super-clean art, all bold lines and bright colors. Back in the day, the gold standard for that was people like Dave Cockrum, but newer faces like George Perez and John Byrne and Karl Kesel and Ron Lim and Jim Lee and Brett Booth took it to a new level.

And then Image found Mike Turner, who I remembered from the Ballistic mini-series (a spin-off of Silvestri's Cyberforce), and he just brought it up another notch, and in Image's own artist-focused environment, went on to produce Witchblade, the Darkness and Fathom.

Mike Turner's art seemed pretty much the logical evolution of where the clean lines that I loved from Legion artists like Greg LaRocque and Steve Lightle were headed.

That said, his pin-up worthy art, so beautiful and big, led to an ever increasing focus on large pages of art, and decreased use of smaller panels and tighter storytelling, and to fight scenes degenerating into a big splash page of everybody jumping at each other, instead of seeing smaller shots of individual characters actually doing stuff. I'm not sure if comics have yet recovered from that notion, stylistically, and I long for the days of the Byrne's X-Men or Perez's Teen Titans, when a battle might include a dozen individual shots, and not be 'here's another two-page spread of two teams jumping at each other.'

So, I'm gonna have to change my vote mid-stream to George Perez, who managed to make clean art that did not overshadow and shift the nature of the story itself.

George Perez, for the win!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Fanfic Lady #804211 03/31/14 10:48 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Jim Aparo - For me the quintessential Batman artist. His Batman is still what comes to mind when someone mentions the character. His Gordon was also the definitive take on the character for me. Loved his B&B, Spectre, Aquaman, Outsiders, it just goes on and on.

Bissette/Totleben - That Swamp Thing run is still magical and dynamic to me. Their individual efforts are great, but the alchemy of their collaborations are on a whole different level.

Mike Dringenberg - Gets a bad rap I think. To me, his art grounded Sandman and really helped it click for me. Other more acclaimed artists came and went, but I never appreciated their contributions as much (and often felt, like Kelley Jones, they detracted).

Fanfic Lady #804229 03/31/14 02:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Second on my list (I'll probably do a top 5 in total) of artists I love...or those artists that will get me to check out a book sight unseen is Alan Davis.

Case in point. his 4 issue arc on a new Savage Hulk book.

Setting the story back in the X-Men First Class days, and the beginning of Hulks career makes me willing to commit to the four issues regardless of price point.

Why? I adore his art. From his own Clandestine, to the X-Men, to Superboys Legion. Everything he does, no matter how dark some of the subjects can be (or not be), has a feel good look to it. Some may not like his wide smiles and seemingly optimistic way of portraying things and characters, but I love it.

His Legion covers are among some of my favorites, right up there with Steve Lightle and Giffen himself.

Slap Davis' name on there, and I am at least grabbing the first issue.

Fanfic Lady #804231 03/31/14 03:12 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
Jose Louis Garcia Lopez - to me he was the next stage in comics art evolution after Neil Adams brought anatomy to mainstream comics. He combined Adams' "realistic" style with the fluid mobility of Infantino. He's an impeccable draftsman, qually adept at drawing fantastical machinery as he is the mundane, and capable of both dynamic action and character acting through body language and facial expressions. Many comics fans only know him from the style sheets he produced for DC in the early 1980s, but if you want to really experience what JLGL is capable of take a look at Twilight (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Twilight_Vol_1) and Cinder and Ash (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Cinder_and_Ashe_Vol_1)

Fanfic Lady #804240 03/31/14 04:48 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I've just finished a reread of Twilight and his art is gorgeous. It's a take on the early DC sci fi series such as Star Rovers, Planeteers and Star Hawkins and Manhunter 2070. But it's a very, very dark look at them.

DC might have had plans for the Charlton characters when they asked Moore to come up with his own characters. They gave Chaykin a green light to take on the sci fi characters directly.

I think I'm missing an issue of Cinder & Ash. I think it's stopped me reading it. Atari Force is my other big Garcia Lopez favourite.

I really don't look as closely as I should about upcoming comics, so artists that I really like probably slip past.

George Perez drew comics that had an impact on me before I knew who he was. Sergio Aragones would be another one. Alan Davis would be a third. David Lloyd. I'd buy Bryan Talbot's phone doodlings...

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #804262 03/31/14 07:10 PM
OP Offline
Garcia-Lopez is another like Big John, a talented artist who is mostly associated with one publisher. The only exceptions I can think of were one or two OHOTMU pin-ups and the Batman/Hulk team-up, which is kind of a silly story, but worth seeking out for the art alone.

Fanfic Lady #804286 04/01/14 12:28 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Wow one of the hardest questions I know, but here I go.

First top of the top at the moment is Alan Davis. God I wish he was working on Legion. I loved the Superboy and the Legion books. I can’t remember when what was the first thing I read with his art but the most memorable is Excalibur which got me to then find the old Captain Britain books. I was trying to find everything he did.

Jose Garcia Lopez was one of my favorites too. I only wish I had seen more. I absolutely loved the Atari Force series.

Here’s some others that will possibly get me to buy it just for the art.
Bryan Hitch
George Perez
Neal Adams
Steve Lightle
Eric Shanower
Charles Vess
Adam Hughes
Frank Cho
Moebius
Jack KIrby

thoth lad #804306 04/01/14 04:39 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
Originally Posted by thothkins
I think I'm missing an issue of Cinder & Ash. I think it's stopped me reading it.

I just saw in the June Previews catalog that DC is releasing trade of Cinder & Ash.

Fanfic Lady #804307 04/01/14 04:55 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Synchronicity by Jove!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #804313 04/01/14 07:16 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lots of great artists mentioned here. I have a ton too that I hope to get to one day. Though the idea that someone will say they don't like their art has me sharpening machetes.

Count me as a big fan of Jose Luis Garcia Lopez. To me, he's THE great DC artist of the late 70's, and he stayed great for his whole career. I think I can say with 90% accuracy that we own all of his American work, even the random stuff he did in the late 80's and early 90's. He may be my favorite Superman artist of all time.

Fanfic Lady #804325 04/01/14 08:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Regarding JLGL...I will be meeting him this May at a local comic convention...woot!

Fanfic Lady #804337 04/02/14 06:54 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Garcia-Lopez is another like Big John, a talented artist who is mostly associated with one publisher. The only exceptions I can think of were one or two OHOTMU pin-ups and the Batman/Hulk team-up, which is kind of a silly story, but worth seeking out for the art alone.

What always strikes me as awesome about the Batman/Hulk crossover is how Marvel and DC both had pretty strict house styles for the two characters at the time and Garcia-Lopez not only managed to nail both of them, he blended them seamlessly AND put his own distinctive touch on it. That was quite a feat considering the amount of oversight and scrutiny the project must have had.

Dave Hackett #804421 04/03/14 04:43 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett

What always strikes me as awesome about the Batman/Hulk crossover is how Marvel and DC both had pretty strict house styles for the two characters at the time and Garcia-Lopez not only managed to nail both of them, he blended them seamlessly AND put his own distinctive touch on it. That was quite a feat considering the amount of oversight and scrutiny the project must have had.

Well said, Dave.

Fanfic Lady #804430 04/03/14 08:05 PM
W
Honorary
Honorary
W
I like so many of the ones mentioned - Steve Lighte, Neal Adams, Dave Cockrum etc - especially the LSH ones and their Legion work...

I would add Mac Raboy because he was so great in the early 1940s - probably the godfather of comic art as comic art.

Fanfic Lady #804484 04/04/14 04:46 PM
OP Offline
Wes, I love what little I've seen of Mac Raboy's work. I'm also glad you mentioned him because it's a good reminder that I should seek out more of his work now that a lot more Golden Age stories are available online. Thanks.

Fanfic Lady #804631 04/07/14 12:52 AM
Active
Active
I'll start with non superhero favorites. Mike Kaluta for his Carson of Venus & The Shadow in the early 70s & Howard Chakin for his Fafhrd and Gray Mouser & Ironwolf series. They both had a pulp fiction feel to them. Basil Wolverton for the bizarre.

Superheros it has to be Curt Swan, Gil Kane & Carmine Infantino.

Fanfic Lady #804711 04/08/14 05:47 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
John Buscema is my favorite comic book artist, because he did everything well. Not necessarily outstanding, but always well. I've always preferred the humble craftsmen like Big John and disciples of his such as Greg LaRocque, Steve Epting, and Kerry Gammill.

Eduardo Barreto is another under-appreciated artist who fits this description.

Fanfic Lady #804750 04/09/14 04:33 PM
OP Offline
Agreed. I love Eduardo Barreto.

Fanfic Lady #804783 04/10/14 01:12 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Thanks for bringing up Mike Kaluta, Goo! Add him to my list!

Fanfic Lady #804909 04/12/14 08:33 AM
OP Offline
How could I forget to mention Dick Dillin? A triumphant 14-year run on the original JLA, with only 2 fill-ins. Truly, Dillin was to the JLA what John Buscema was to the Avengers.

Fanfic Lady #805325 04/19/14 05:17 AM
in hiding
in hiding
Neal Adams

I caught pneumonia in my freshman year of high school and had to be hospitalized. Someone brought me a stack of comics taken off the rack at random. I don't remember what the other titles were, but the art in the Deadman story in Strange Adventures #209 was light years beyond anything I had ever seen in a comic book. It's sorta like the first time I heard Jimi Hendrix's Purple Haze. Nothing I had heard before could even approach it.

Yes, there have been many quality artists since then, just as there have been many great guitarists since Hendrix. But none have stood out from the pack as much as Adams did in 1968.

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
Fanfic Lady #805326 04/19/14 10:06 AM
OP Offline
No argument there, Neal Adams was a ground-breaker.

One artist I forgot to add to my list of craftsmanlike John Buscema disciples is Keith Pollard. Among his Marvel credits are two of that publisher's best centennial issues, Amazing Spider-Man #200 and Thor #300. At DC, he drew an early appearance of the Omega Men in an issue of Green Lantern.

Fanfic Lady #805329 04/19/14 12:07 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Love both of those issues Fanfie. Pollard was a great utility player at Marvel in the early 80's with a plethora of great work. What ever happened to him?

As for Neal Adams, I firmly believe he's one of the all time greats. I read an interview with Jack Kirby where he said when Neal came on the scene, Kirby and all the other artists at DC and Marvel were just blown away by his work. He brought something to the table that comics had only just barely touched on before, and inspired everything that came after.

And I agree, that original run on Deadman in Strange Adventures is phenomenal. I was just talking about a poster my Dad used to have in another thread, and it's a poster size of the cover where Deadman is looking up screaming at God while he's "standing" over his own corpse. It's fucking mesmerizing!

And of course, the Adams Superman covers, to me, are the best Superman covers of them all.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,846
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Gamara
Gamara
NJ
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star