Roll Call
0 members (), 14 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Sarcasm Kid - 04/19/24 10:08 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/19/24 08:52 PM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/19/24 05:14 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/19/24 11:59 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The often imitated never surpassed FIRESTORM!
#809717 05/29/14 07:03 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ronnie had a killer rogue's gallery! Loads of great villains!

Last edited by Power Boy; 05/31/14 10:34 AM.
Re: The often imitated never suprassed FIRESTORM!
Power Boy #809721 05/29/14 07:22 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Tokamak was a little dull, but I loved Multiplex! (Although his powers were completely changed once he was used outside of Firestorm's exclusive rogues gallery.) The Hyenas were also cool, and I kind of like how they kept getting killed, and then showing up again, like nothing happened. In my head-canon, they are kind of like werewolves, and can only be permanently killed by a special substance / method, but it isn't silver (since they are were-hyenas, not were-wolves, and they'll pretend to be killed by silver, just to confuse the issue...)

Granted, I was much more a fan of Firehawk, because of those awesome fire energy wings (later blue in color than the red above), than Firestorm himself. What an amazingly cool spin-off character!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Power Boy #809732 05/29/14 08:16 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Firehawk does have an awesome visual with her blue fire wings!

I love Firestorm's ridiculous blousey costume and flaming head. I think of all the JLA Firestorm and Red Tornado had my favourite visuals when I was a kid!

I love that one story where Martin Stein whipped Hector Hammond's ass too, that is one of my favourite JLA stories in general smile

Power Boy #809744 05/29/14 09:32 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard

Power Boy #809746 05/29/14 09:34 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard

Power Boy #809751 05/29/14 09:45 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
His work on Firestorm is possibly THE career highlight for Pat Broderick! He and Gerry Conway did a bang-up job on Fury....earning, imo, a favorable comparison to to Lee/Kirby/Romita Spider-man! No, I don't mean it's AS good as all that, but I think Fury was the most well done a teen hero was depicted to that point since early Peter Parker. Since then, you could definitely argue Tim Drake, but between Peter and Ronnie, it was.....a teenage wasteland!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Power Boy #809756 05/29/14 10:01 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Man... I wish I was at a real computer so I could link to Firestorm's awesome first appearance on Super Friends!

Power Boy #809758 05/29/14 10:14 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
One of the fun parts about Firestorm was I could relate to many of his early problems! I always wished I had such cool powers in real life so I could escape from the awful parts of school tongue

Eryk Davis Ester #809849 05/30/14 09:31 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Man... I wish I was at a real computer so I could link to Firestorm's awesome first appearance on Super Friends!

And now I can!

Power Boy #809894 05/31/14 02:38 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Firestorm was fun to read. Despite Ronnie's problems, there was a light touch to the comic. It's art was good and Ronnie's powers always made things interesting. There were also plenty of new villains and a strong supporting cast. Firehawk for the JLA!

Stormy also brought a lot of energy to the JLA, with his enthusiasm coupled with Stein's knowledge behind him.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #810101 06/02/14 01:00 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by thothkins
Firestorm was fun to read. Despite Ronnie's problems, there was a light touch to the comic. It's art was good and Ronnie's powers always made things interesting. There were also plenty of new villains and a strong supporting cast. Firehawk for the JLA!

Every couple of years, it seems like one company or the other attempts to create a 'Spider-Man' for the new generation, a young hero who has to juggle powers and a life.

Firestorm felt like one of the more successful attempts at capturing that dynamic, and the decision to have the young hero not be the genius in and of himself, but to have a genius sort of on-call in his brain, with the Professor, was a neat touch, and might have even made him a tad more relatable than Peter himself, as Peter, for all his woes, is far from the 'everyman' that he's sometimes touted as.

It's funny how often they attempt to recapture that dynamic. The last version of the Ray, the post-death of Superman Superboy series, the Ronnie Raymond Nova, Speedball, the new Ms. Marvel/Kamala Khan, etc. That sort of 'young hero, grappling with self-discovery and life events' gets recycled quite a bit.

Unlike the mentored heroes (Robins, for instance), there's a lot of uncertainty and false starts with these stories, which can make them fun. After a time, we expect the heroes to grow up (and stop making dumb mistakes), so it allows a kind of storytelling and character growth and learning curve that we wouldn't tolerate if it happened to Batman or Captain America (who we expect to be pretty darn near the top of their 'learning curve' by now!).

Power Boy #810108 06/02/14 01:32 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Poor Ray. Having such a manipulative &!&!&!&#& for a dad. (I'm looking at you Golden Age Ray!)

But I digress...

Firestorm's earnestness and ability to laugh at himself was very refreshing. Having him be so powerful only added to likability of the character. And I have to say, despite his young age and inexperience he seemed to fit right in with the rest of the League!

Invisible Brainiac #810112 06/02/14 01:50 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Firestorm's earnestness and ability to laugh at himself was very refreshing. Having him be so powerful only added to likability of the character. And I have to say, despite his young age and inexperience he seemed to fit right in with the rest of the League!

The influence of Stein, I think, gave him a sort of Captain Marvel vibe, in that he could act more mature than his years, 'cause he had an adult in his head to keep him from saying anything too dumb.

I think there could have been some good interactions between him and others, particularly Batman, who likes to 'figure people out,' based on this sort of contradictory output from him, one minute saying something mature, that an experienced teacher with many years of dealing with students might say, or something scientific and technical with the Flash or Atom, and the next acting more like a high school kid who is getting B's in science and has to work to not make a fool of himself in front of a pretty girl. (And I can imagine it being distracting for a hormonal hetero teenage boy to hang out with Wonder Woman, Black Canary and Zatanna, in their typical fishnets, sports bras and / or star-spangled panties.)

Batman being Batman, I could see him getting awfully suspicious about Ronnie's personality / knowledge inconsistencies and it turn into some sort of comedy of errors...

Power Boy #811164 06/11/14 08:42 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I just searched this to make sure: Did you know DC has never reprinted the old Firestorm series....not even in the massive cheapy B&W "Showcase Presents..." series! What the hell?!?! mad

Power Boy #811166 06/11/14 08:50 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
There is a TPB of Firestorm's first series, however, which I believe I reviewed here somewhere!

Eryk Davis Ester #811169 06/11/14 08:58 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
There is a TPB of Firestorm's first series, however, which I believe I reviewed here somewhere!

Oh! I overlooked that one! I never read any of his short-lived original series, and I don't think I read those back-ups it reprints, either! eBay, here I come.... grin

Set #811170 06/11/14 09:01 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Set
(And I can imagine it being distracting for a hormonal hetero teenage boy to hang out with Wonder Woman, Black Canary and Zatanna, in their typical fishnets, sports bras and / or star-spangled panties.)

The Jason Rusch Firestorm had a weird fascination with Doctor Light in her "covers everything" costume, and didn't really so much as glance at Zatanna in her fishnets or Vixen with her V-necked costume. Hmmmmm!

Eryk Davis Ester #811172 06/11/14 09:03 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L

Any idea where the review is? nod

Re: The often imitated never surpassed FIRESTORM!
Power Boy #811174 06/11/14 09:09 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Okay, not actually much of a review, but at least a few comments can be found here and on the next page.

Power Boy #811175 06/11/14 09:15 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yep, about as long-winded as I expected! lol For a guy of your profession, your reviews tend to be incredibly......concise? shrug

So....did you kinda love it, really love it or totally love it? wink

Power Boy #811177 06/11/14 09:19 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Honestly, I don't remember it too well, other than the generally positive feeling towards it!

Definitely an early Spider-Man kind of vibe to it, though!

Eryk Davis Ester #811180 06/11/14 09:24 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Honestly, I don't remember it too well, other than the generally positive feeling towards it!

Definitely an early Spider-Man kind of vibe to it, though!

I'm on such a huge '70s comics kick lately (Avengers & X-Men mostly, with cravings for defenders, Dr. Strange and JLA) that this trade suddenly feels like a MUST-HAVE! nod

Power Boy #811863 06/17/14 01:45 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I am all about the Silver/Bronze age right now. Here's Firestorm trying out for League membership in "Another Nail" alongside new takes on the Astral Mage and Halo.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Power Boy; 06/17/14 01:46 PM.
Power Boy #811881 06/17/14 03:46 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Firestorm, along with Flash, was the first DC hero I loved as a really little kid, because of his awesome costume, name and issue covers. Later I loved the powers, duel-person motif and of course Spidey vibe, which I agree was done perfectly.

It's criminal that DC allowed what was essentially their brightest "new" star fade away in the late 80's--especially since he was probably the last truly iconic hero DC had ever had. Ostrander's run, while well written, is partially to blame I think.

Still, there's never been a reason why the series couldn't work again. As much as Jason Rusch's addition always felt lame and forced, even with him as part of the series it would still be easily doable. All you need is a creative team that actually loves teen protagonists and superhero comics.

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 06/17/14 03:46 PM.
Cobalt Kid #811907 06/17/14 07:27 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Firestorm, along with Flash, was the first DC hero I loved as a really little kid, because of his awesome costume, name and issue covers. Later I loved the powers, duel-person motif and of course Spidey vibe, which I agree was done perfectly.

It's criminal that DC allowed what was essentially their brightest "new" star fade away in the late 80's--especially since he was probably the last truly iconic hero DC had ever had. Ostrander's run, while well written, is partially to blame I think.

Still, there's never been a reason why the series couldn't work again. As much as Jason Rusch's addition always felt lame and forced, even with him as part of the series it would still be easily doable. All you need is a creative team that actually loves teen protagonists and superhero comics.

Preach it, my bruthah! nod

Honestly, I was looking forward to the New52 relaunch of the book because: a) Ronnie was back to being a part of Firestorm, and b) Gail Simone was co-writing it. But, OMG, was this an abortion or what?!?! puke

I think DC was so intent on making this Firestorm different and cutting edge that they forgot that the original concept was already all of those things and so much more! Just tell a goddamn story working with the amazing core concept, and it'll be fucking GREAT! This is FIRESTORM, Not Captain Planet meets Psi-Force meets someone's crappy wet dream of what a great comic should be! mad

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,859
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star