Roll Call
0 members (), 93 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/18/24 05:00 PM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/18/24 02:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/18/24 02:18 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 49 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 48 49
The Tide Has Turned
Invisible Brainiac #814765 07/18/14 11:57 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

VOLUME 2: SCATTERED SOULS

In another Legion's universe...

Flashes of light brightened the ancient halls of Zerox as they shook with a pitched battle. It pained Glorith to see her home like this, but the Legion had no choice. Mordru had to be stopped.

She closed her eyes to concentrate; spellcasting was a precise task in ideal situations, but even harder in the midst of a battlefield full of unpredictable opponents. She had to trust on her teammates to protect her. She could sense the magical energies aligning just so...

A faint, glowing bubble of light appeared around a section of the battlefield. The dozen or so figures encircled in it slowed to a halt.

"... there. I have cast a spell to slow down time around us," she breathed as she sat back. "This should delay Mordru's slaves for a while."

"That is good, Glorith. But we must keep moving. Look out!" Blok stepped in front of her, and Glorith could see his body light up. She held her hands up to brace herself against the shock waves.

"Nice going, Blok. I'll take him out!" Electricity arced out from Lightning Lass' hands and slammed into a blue demon with horns. His trident clattered to the ground as he fell. "The Blue Devil, you said, Brainy? I can't believe they let this guy into the Justice League."

As Lightning Lass turned to fly back, bands of cloth appeared from out of nowhere. She gasped as they wrapped around her body, binding her tight. She dropped to the floor like a sack of potatoes.

"During my time, the Justice League had better standards." A beautiful brunette with a top hat and fishnet stockings walked calmly towards the Legion. "Snoisulli lepsid," she said with a wave of her hand. "Nortreni nrut ot ria!"

The wall of intertron protecting Sensor Girl and Brainiac 5 faded. "Brainiac!" Projectra yelled as she flew to the side. "I know she can see us!"

"Hold on!" Star Boy said, hands glowing. "I've got her!" The brunette sank into the ground.

"Nurt ffo sih rewop!" The glow winked out from Star Boy's hands as the brunette rose again. She pointed a commanding finger at Star Boy. "Nam nurt ot -"

Her speech was suddenly cut off as a band of metal appeared around her face, covering her mouth. Her eyes bulged as she gripped it, vainly trying to pull it off. Suddenly, the very air around her turned into inertron.

"Thanks for the knowledge, Brainy," Element Lad said as he recreated his inertron wall. "Now, if only all Mordru's slaves had a weakness as simple as Zatanna's... GAAAH!"

Element Lad dropped to his knees as he clutched his side. Bloodstains appeared through his costume. A white-haired woman stood over him, blade gleaming despite the blood staining it. "Not all of us rely on magic," she said as she twisted her blade, preparing to drive it into her victim.

She bounced backwards as Brainiac 5's forcefield-protected form slammed into her. Her body crashed into the wall and fell, motionless. "What we Legionnaires have is teamwork, Zealot," Brainiac 5 said. "Glorith, I need your assistance, please." Glorith rushed up as Brainiac 5 inspected Element Lad's wound. She quickly placed her palm on it, and it healed before their eyes as her spell took hold.

"Thanks..." Element Lad said as he shook his head. Behind him, Sensor Girl was helping Lightning Lass up. "Grife. Glorith, Brainy, do you have any idea how many of Mordru's slaves there are?"

"I only know what historical records and Cosmic Boy's research chronicle," Brainiac 5 answered calmly. "It's hard to estimate..."

His words were drowned out as Glorith found herself surrounded by a fiery green glow. It lifted her up and above her teammates as the very ground rumbled and seemed to swallow them up. As debris rained down among them, powerful bolts of magical energy bombarded their bodies, draining their cries of pain..

She looked in shock as about a dozen figures emerged into view. She recognized them all; Mysa had taught her the stories of each one. And that knowledge chilled her blood. All were being of immense power: Jinx, Blackbriar Thorn, Torquemada, Alan Scott, Ibis the Invincible, Black Alice, Nightshade, Enchantress and Raven. She desperately ran her hands over the glow surrounding her to test it. Could she counteract it?

"Ah-ah," Black Alice stepped forward. Glorith felt the magic drain from her, as glowing facial tattoos appeared on Black Alice's face. "Thanks for the snack. Oooh, time magics. No wonder you were able to slow us down."

"Have you checked out the others?" Alan Scott asked. It was his power that was containing Glorith.

"No magic," Black Alice answered as she used her borrowed abilities to turn a rock into dust. "But the masked one has a magical background. I couldn't actually borrow her illusion abilities, though."

"Good enough." Torquemada lifted Sensor Girl's unconscious form into the air. Below her, the other five Legionnaires' bodies littered the ground. Blackbriar Thorn was gathering them in a heap, while the Enchantress was freeing Zatanna from her inertron prison. Traci Thirteen was assisting Zealot and Blue Devil up. Glorith thought her heart might stop then and there.

"Stop, let me go!" Glorith tried banging against the green flame around her; Alan Scott's, she recognized. "Please! Mysa told me what happened to you. I know you don't want to do this!"

"We are slaves, girl," the Enchantress' voice was lined with faint regret as she said this. "Our wills aren't our own anymore. We are aware, but we can do nothing about it."

"Yeah, I can't even feel sad about it anymore," Black Alice said as she caused a flower to bloom. "But hey, it'll be kind of cool to have someone else around my age as a fellow slave."

Raven knelt down as she pulled her hood from her face. "Be at ease, child. The process itself is not painful." Her soul-self sprang from her body; Glorith shrank back as it loomed at her. But there was nowhere to go. "It is best not to struggle. Let my soul-self calm you..."

Glorith tried to scream as the black bird-shaped aura enveloped her, but in moments all she felt was a quiet calm. The fiery green glow remained around her, but she no longer wished to fight against it. She noticed her friends, but could not bring herself to worry. Despite what her mind was telling her, her heart knew. All would be well.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 02/19/18 07:10 PM.
A Rousing Call
Invisible Brainiac #814820 07/20/14 09:18 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

Zoe crouched down behind this version of Sally, holding her blaster tensely. Sally, who also called herself Shrinking Violet here, drummed her fingers impatiently on her own blaster. "Where are they, where are they..."

Blaster. Shrinking Violet. Legion of Super-Heroes. Zoe shivered; what had she gotten into? She thought alternate realities and time travel belonged on the Twilight Zone or Doctor Who; and super-heroes only existed in movies and comic books and the imaginations of fans. But she had pinched herself over and over and knew she wasn't dreaming.

And now her life apparently lay in the hands of a woman who looked like her best friend, but acted nothing like her.

Zoe wanted to puke.

"You okay there?" Sally leaned down, her voice streaked with worry. "Your "Aunt Michelle" and company are on their way."

Zoe forced a smile and nodded. "Good girl," Sally patted her on the back. "You'll have your memories back in no time."

"if only it were that easy." Zoe's heart jumped as she recognized the voice of the blonde woman she had seen in Mr. Morgan's house. She turned to see her, the white-haired woman and an albino woman with what appeared to be antennae growing out of her head. Zoe forced herself not to stare. Sally could shrink to atomic size; so what if this woman looked like an alien?

The albino hurried over and knelt down in front of Zoe. "Are you well, Zoe?" At Zoe's nod, the albino gave a sigh of relief. "It looks like Mordru's manipulations have still left you with your own mind, if not your memories. That is good."

"Um..." Zoe scratched her head. "Do you mean Mr. Morgan? Sally here's told me that it was all a dream, and this is reality... how can that be?"

The albino traded glances with the other two new arrivals. The white-haired woman spoke up. "In a nutshell, Zoe, your essence was... absorbed by this Mordru. And he was in turn absorbed by Mysa here. Does that make sense?"

"I don't understand how I was absorbed, but... I can understand it happening. Just... not to me."

"Fair enough," the white-haired woman continued. "While you and Mordru were in Mysa's body, she attempted to pacify him with an illusory 21st century reality. He took that reality and warped it, bringing you into it. Everything you saw was... not real."

Zoe kept her face still. "Just seems too out of this world."

"You have no idea, honey," the white-haired woman brushed her hair. "And that's where we came in. Mysa here inserted herself into that reality as your Aunt Michelle."

"So that's why you acted so weird," Zoe breathed.

"I apologize, Zoe," Mysa's face was sorrowful as she said that. "I had to understand what your state of mind was like. When I found you were not truly being mind-controlled by Mordru, I tried to bring you out of there."

"And Dream Girl and I came in to help Mysa when Mordru had kidnapped you," the blonde spoke up. "I'm Saturn Girl, by the way. When Mordru was trying to drain the magic from you, we realized we had to separate you... and so Mysa freed both him and you."

"I was trying to find a way to free only you, and not him," Mysa added before Zoe could react. "I wish I could have done that; Mordru is probably the most dangerous wizard in this century. But seeing you about to be drained... I could not let that happen. And so I unleashed you both, may Amethyst have mercy on my soul."

"Do not blame yourself, sister," Dream Girl soothed Mysa. "You had no choice. Even without my visions, I can tell you that." She turned towards Zoe even as she held Mysa. "And I hope you understand her dilemma, Zoe. She was going to free you eventually and restore you whole. She just couldn't do it yet."

Zoe held her head in her hands. "This is a bit too much... I thought this kind of thing only happened in the movies! Like the Bourne Identity or something!"

Saturn Girl stepped forward and knelt beside Zoe. Zoe stared into her eyes and felt a warm sincerity that made her want to trust this woman. "Zoe... If you are willing... We can enter your mind and try to break down the blocks that Mordru has installed. He has suppressed your memories, but if we can unleash them... You will once more be in control of your powers."

"And we can put an end to Mordru, once and for all," Mysa - Aunt Michelle - added. It was odd for Zoe to think of her like that, especially now that she looked so different. "Please, trust us."

"We've been through that already," Sally laughed. "She trusts us to keep her alive, but I think this is all too much to take in."

"It is," Zoe murmured. "I honestly just wish I could go home."

Dream Girl leaned beside Zoe and took her head in her hands. "I'm really sorry to say this, Zoe, but you need to understand. Home isn't what you think it is."

"You have to hurry, Zoe," Sally said as she looked outside of their hiding place. "I can't raise the others anymore. I think it'll just be a matter of time before more magical slaves come after us."

Zoe gulped as she looked at the four women; all were staring at her, waiting for her to decide. She didn't want to trust them... but she had no choice, did she? At least they weren't trying to kill her, not like those... other things out there. She spread her hands in resignation. "Okay... let's go."

Saturn Girl nodded and took her head in her hands. "This won't hurt, but it might feel strange. I will be linking your mind with Dream Girl's and Mysa's. And we'll see what we can do about your mental blocks."

Zoe nodded and closed her eyes. In moments, she felt something pushing into her brain, not unlike the sensations when Saturn Girl had talked to her back at Mr. Morgan's.

She had to stop from screaming as her mind seemed to expand. She clutched her skirt in her hands as her world seemed to spin around her.

Glorith floated serenely as Alan Scott bowed before Mordru. Her mind told her she should be afraid, but she couldn't bring herself to be. All would be fine, she knew.

"We have one of the magic users, my Lord," Alan intoned on his knees. "Black Alice has stolen her power, and Raven has stolen her will. This other woman also has magical potential."

"And we have the other Legionnaires to dispose of, my Lord," Blackbriar Thorn added. Glorith saw out of the corner of her eye that her five remaining teammates were being forced upright by Thorn's plants. Yet all five remained unconscious. A purplish glow, no doubt the work of the sorceress Jinx, surrounded them.

Mordru stepped forward and inspected each closely. Then he stopped in front of the still-kneeling Blackbriar Thorn. "Get up."

A shaky Blackbriar Thorn complied, looking hopeful.

"Imbecile!" Mordru thundered as he blasted Thorn. The druid screamed in pain and crouched down on the ground. Mordru swiftly turned and hurled blasts at Alan Scott and at Jinx. "I told you to kill the rest! Why are they still alive?"

"F... forgive us, Master," Blackbriar Thorn trembled. "We only wished to dispose of them in front of you, to prove the deed."

"You could have brought their bodies to me," Mordru thundered. "I know these Legionnaires, and it is best to kill them rather than give them another chance to thwart me!"

"We...we shall do it right now, Master," Jinx wailed. "I can burn their bodies right now!"

"No matter," Mordru paused as he looked at Glorith. "You disobeyed me, but I will forgive you this time. Now that you have brought them before me, I shall handle them. But first..."

He turned towards Glorith and took her chin in his hands. "I can feel the power that Black Alice has absorbed from you, and it is mighty indeed," he murmured. "So much more than that foolish servant of mine way back. Yes, you shall make a nice addition to my army."

Mordru stepped back and began to chant. As he did, Glorith could feel the very rock coating her feet; the rock began climbing higher and higher up her legs. Her mind told her this must be how Mordru converted each of his slaves; the magical incantations was a way of binding body, mind and soul to his will. Yet her heart told her that all would be well. It was a mantra being repeated over and over in her mind.

All would be well.

She closed her eyes and permitted herself to smile. For once, she would no longer worry.

And then the world seemed to spin as she felt herself being pulled along by a powerful force, as a leaf must be pulled in the wake of a cyclone. She heard Mordru curse, and suddenly his voice seemed distant.

She thought she should be curious, but her mind told ner not to be. All would be well.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/01/15 09:09 AM.
Re: The Continuing Adventures of the Postboot Legion!
Invisible Brainiac #814823 07/20/14 10:46 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Zoe wanted to close her eyes, but she was transfixed as something seemed to bore deep into her mind and soul. Images - of herself, but not of her - flashed behind her eyes. What looked like her, only paler and with elf-like ears and a tail. Wearing a green skirt and diaphanous frills. Her hands glowing with green energy, and objects floating around her. A tall female alien with reddish hair and splotchy orange skin and the same green glow.

She saw Sally in a violet uniform and with a green streak in her hair. Tina in a cape and wearing her favorite red ruby around her neck. Ayla and her twin brother Garth in matching outfits, shooting lightning blasts. Jenny in yellow boots, running so fast she seemed a blur. Irma kissing Garth. This Imra, and this Sally, looked so much younger, just like her friends from school. Not like the Shrinking Violet and Saturn Girl who now protected her.

The tall female alien being hit by some sort of energy beam, and exploding into light. This Mordru - she still couldn't help but think of him as Mr. Morgan - waving his arms and drawing the light in. And Mordru in turn being turned into energy by the White Witch, whose very skin and eyes became black.

But these weren't her friends. This wasn't her. It couldn't be.

She heard Dream Girl murmur distantly; her voice was muffled, as though it came from another room. "She's not accepting it. She sees the images, but has no emotional connection to them."

"She doesn't know it's her," the White Witch replied. "It seems Mordru was more thorough than we thought."

"Then..." Saturn Girl's voice was clearer than the other two. Zoe realized she was hearing it in her mind! "We need to restore that connection. And I know just how to do it."

Glorith's vision swam as she felt herself being pulled along. Milliseconds later, everything seemed to grind to a halt.

"OhmygoshareyouokayGlorithdidIgettoyouintime?"

As the world seemed to settle around her, Glorith realized she was staring at a woman she hadn't seen in a while. But she couldn't bring herself to speak. All would be well, she told herself.

"Something else else is not right..." came another voice. Glorith knew she should recognize it, and that she should be surprised to hear it. But she also knew she shouldn't worry about such things.

"Her mind has been tampered with," came the second voice again. "Let me see what I can do..."

Glorith felt something tickle her mind. And with a start, she began to feel again. She lurched forward, and the woman caught her. "Are you okay?"

"XS! Tellus!" Glorith gasped out. "How are you here? Are the others safe?"

"Fret not, Glorith." Glorith's eyes bulged in surprise as another lost Legionnaire appeared. Dawnstar's wings folded as she landed and laid Brainiac 5 and Element Lad gently on the ground. Beside her, Ultra Boy placed Blok and Star Boy down.

"Wow, you really are fast, XS!" Ultra Boy's voice was a mixture of praise and jealousy. "Vibrating through a magical barrier AND grabbing Glorith and Jeckie like that before Mordru could finish whatever he was doing... and distracting him long enough for Wildfire and Mon-El to get in there and cover us." Ultra Boy grinned as he patted XS' shoulder.

"Speed force, Ultra Boy," XS smiled back. "But your mix of powers is what was needed to get Blok."

"I thank you," Glorith nodded at the four Legionnaires around her. "But we must hurry! Mordru's slaves are hunting the Lady Mysa and Kinetix. He intends to enslave them as well!"

"We know," Dawnstar said grimly. "Saturn Girl has apprised us. And just now, Tellus has learned what happened to you. Wait here." And with a flap of her wings, Dawnstar sped off.

"I apologize, Glorith," Tellus bowed. "When I restored your emotions, I learned what transpired and communicated it to the others. All will be well."

"All IS well." Glorith turned to see Dawnstar once again; this time, she carried an unconscious Black Alice. Glorith felt her magical strength returning. "I thank you," she replied as she returned Tellus' bow. "And please, do not be sorry you read my mind. And now that my powers have returned," she waved her hands, and her six teammates stirred. "Heal, my friends."

"Ooooh, grife. Remind me not to mess with magic again," Star Boy muttered as he stood up. "No offense, Glorith. I... DAWNSTAR? TELLUS?"

The other awakened Legionnaires all uttered statements of surprise. Except for Brainiac 5. "Well done, XS. And welcome back, Dawnstar and Tellus. It is good to have you back."

Before they could welcome their teammates, Ultra Boy raised a hand. "Move, now!" A split second later, the wall behind them came crashing down. Mon-El lay facedown in the rubble, struggling to get up. An enraged Mordru appeared, hand outstretched and bathed in black energy; Wildfire floated behind him, contained in a black sphere. Nearly two dozen of Mordru's slaves appeared behind. "You will not thwart me again, Legionnaires!"

"Oh, want to bet?" Phantom Girl flew through the ceiling. "Gates, home in on my location now!"

"Would you hate me if I said you were as imperious as our Tinya's mother?" Gates' voice was teasing as his teleportation disk came into view. Over two dozen Legionnaires and allies poured out of it, several firing bolts of energy in Mordru's direction.

"You know the plan!" Phantom Girl shouted as several blasts passed harmlessly through her and slammed into a snarling Mordru. "LET'S GO, LEGIONNAIRES!"

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/24/15 01:37 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #814869 07/20/14 11:41 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Cosmic Boy surveyed the pitched battle with increasing trepidation. Maya. Tempest. Doctor Mist. Manitou Dawn. The list of Mordru's slaves grew longer and longer. He could identify most by sight, but he only had a basic knowledge of their powers. Many of these could harness powerful magics with a variety of effects.

"They haven't noticed us yet, have they?" he asked Brainiac 5.

"Doubtful," Sensor Girl replied. "I am constantly shifting my illusions. Several of Mordru's slaves have dispelled individual illusions, but without locating me they are unable to shut me down."

"And my forcefield serves as a second line of defense," Brainiac 5 added. "Just concentrate on recalling as much as you can about as many slaves as you can identify. Together, you and I should be able to cover most of them."

"I hope that's enough to keep everyone alive, Brainy..." Cosmic Boy whispered. "We just got several missing members back. I don't want our celebration to turn into mourning."

"Do not fear, Cosmic Boy," Tellus' voice was calm, but showed his mental strain. "I am broadcasting your knowledge at the very speed of thought."

"Watch out for the one with the pistols, Phantom Girl. Anything he shoots at gets turned into stone during the night."

"Is that so?" Phantom Girl tensed as she approached the man called the Midnight Rider. "Guess I'm the right Legionnaire for the job. Warn everyone else away please, Tellus."

What false bravado. Tinya wasn't even sure her powers would allow her to phase harmlessly through magic. But she dove into the ground and surfaced before the man in the old cowboy outfit. "A thousand years have passed and you still haven't changed your costume? Too bad Mordru doesn't let you update your wardrobe."

Her taunts were met with a hail of bullets. Tinya thanked the gods as each passed harmlessly through her phantom form. "I've got his attention. Hit it!"

The Midnight Rider barely had time to look up before a wall of rock buried him. Tinya gave a thumbs up sign to Lightning Lass and Lightning Lad, whose hands still crackled with electricity. "Nice work, you two. On to the next target."

"Tempest is an Atlantean magician. His main power is manipulating water."

"OOOOMPH!" Fire Lad barely dodged the boiling water being thrown at him by Tempest. "I'm a little bit out of my League here, guys!"

"Well, don't announce it," Color Kid joked as he flew to the side. "We don't want the Legionnaires to know. And now... He's blinded, Drura. All he can see is black." Tempest held one hand over his eyes as another stretched outwards, feeling the wall in front of him.

"Thanks, starshine!" Color Kid and Fire Lad ducked as a streak of gases flew over their heads. "Love how your powers are beautiful AND functional at the same time!"

"That's it, Comet Queen, get me close enough..." Infectious Lass dropped to the ground nimbly and placed both hands on Tempest's head. "No matter how strong Tempest's Atlantean physiology, he still can't shake off Mellorian Piscine Fever."

Both Staq and Ulu rushed to hug Drura as Tempest collapsed to the ground. "Man, we really missed you," Ulu grinned.

"Yeah, even without the butt-kicking and the gender reversals," Staq added with a smile.

"Yellow Peri's power is in her book. She needs to touch it and her head at the same time to summon her spells."

"Now you tell me," Chameleon Boy snarked as he rapidly shifted from a Mimbian Brontopod into an Arcturan Rainbowbird. Its multihued plumage and vast wingspan were ideally suited to the cyclonic winds so common on Arcturus - just the thing to counteract the gales being summoned by Yellow Peri. The blonde magician was floating half a klick away. "I don't think I can get to her in time. Her back's to the rock. Who's nearby?" Cham called out over the flight ring network.

"I am not, but let us see if I can give someone else that chance." Harmonia Li conjured up a rock wall to shield herself. Planting her feet solidly on the ground, she raised her arms and began to turn the winds back. "Brace yourself, Chameleon Boy!"

"Thanks," Cham grinned as he shifted into a Sky-Jellyfish from Steeple. The winds carried him right towards Yellow Peri. As he came within a few feet of her, he quickly shifted into an Earthquake Beast and slammed her into the rock wall.

As the winds died down, he smiled at Harmonia. "Thanks for the assist. And remind me to thank my other-Earth counterpart for the Sky-Jellyfish form."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/24/15 01:37 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #814874 07/21/14 12:42 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

"Maya can control large amounts of both fire and water."

"Huh," Sun Boy mused. "Not the best combination to deal with." He looked around the battlefield. "No, not Polar Boy... not Dragonwing... Ah, perfect. Hey, Lamprey! Over here!"

The green-skinned woman turned and flew, alighting seconds later beside him. "What's up?" She was wearing her Science Police uniform now, though Dirk noted with approval that she still kept her honorary flight ring. "I need your help with something," Dirk replied. "Here's what we'll do..."

After conversing hastily, he aimed a blast of heat at the wall beside Maya. "Hey, hot stuff!" He called. "Let's see who's hotter, huh?"

"There is no flame big enough that water cannot quench it," Maya replied as she let loose a colossal wave of water.

"And there is no Legionnaire who doesn't have an ally at his or her back!" Lamprey dove smoothly into the oncoming wave and let loose her impressive electrical abilities. The current traveled through the water and threw Maya back.

As their opponent slumped to the floor, Sun Boy put a proud hand on Lamprey's shoulder. "Nice job, as expected. You always have my vote for full-time Legionnaire."

"Alan Scott, despite his impressive Green Lantern powers, has a very common vulnerability to wood."

"Wonderful," Timber Wolf grumbled as he jumped from side to side, dodging fiery green blasts left and right. "Still doesn't help me. Hey, little bug, a little help here?"

"What did I tell you about asking nicely?" Despite Gates' acerbic tone, a teleportation disk appeared right in front of Alan Scott. His green energy exited from another disk a few meters to the right, crashing harmlessly into a wall.

"Aw, you know I only have the utmost respect for you," Timber Wolf grinned as he grabbed a rock and tossed it at Alan Scott. The Green Lantern deflected it with a green bubble.

"Yeah, and all UP politicians are honest AND competent," Gates snarked as another disk opened behind Alan. Gates stepped out, accompanied by Chlorophyll Kid. "You're up, Ral."

"M-my p-pleasure," Chlorophyll Kid stuttered as he dropped a handful of seeds onto the ground. In an instant, towering oak trees sprung up and surrounded Alan.

Brin tumbled through an opening in the trees and slammed Alan's head against a trunk. "Even though I used to be called Lone Wolf, I gotta say that teamwork beats raw power any day."

"Nightshade manipulates darkness, turning shadows solid and teleporting people through them."

"So I see," Chameleon Girl shifted into a Kathooni Soundbat. Among her forms, this was the one most suited to darkness. Yet she still had trouble navigating the swirling darkness around her. "I knew I should have attended more training sessions with Shadow Lass... OOMPH!"

Yera rebounded hard as she crashed into what felt like solid muscle. "I'm sorry!" thundered her obstacle. "I knew I should have shrunk down."

"G-Gim?" Even without her form's echolocation abilities, she would know that voice anywhere.

"Yera?" Yera assumed her normal form and reached out in front of her. As expected, Gim had shrunk down to normal size. "Is that really you?"

"It is, Gim..." Yera smiled, though Gim couldn't see it. "I'm really back."

Before Gim could reply, a fierce burst of darkness toppled them both. "Two for one. I expected better," Nightshade smirked as she approached them.

"Save it for someone who can't see in the dark, lady." Nightshade yelped as a figure crashed into her. She blasted furiously in the direction of the attack, but her blasts met with resistance.

"Ah-ah. You're not the only one who can control shadows." Then two fists crashed into both sides of Nightshade's head, knocking her out.

As the darkness faded, Night Girl and Shadow Lass stood victorious over their foe. "Are you okay, Gim and Yera?" Shadow Lass asked as she turned towards their old teammates.

"Um... what say we head on to our next target, Tasmia?" Spots of color bloomed on her cheeks as Night Girl pulled Shadow Lass away. Tasmia herself couldn't help but smile at the sight of Yera and Gim locked in a passionate embrace.

"This isn't going to work for long, Tinya." Mon-El's voice was urgent as he slammed into Mordru yet again. "We can only dodge Mordru's blasts for so long. And I can see the others; it's taking two or three just to take down one of Mordru's slaves."

"I know, Mon, believe me," Phantom Girl's voice was deceptively calm. "But as the ranks of Mordru's slaves thin, I'll be sending more backup your way."

"Tell them to hurry, huh?" Wildfire dodged a magical blast and hurled some anti-energy bolts of his own back at Mordru. "We may be powerful, but Mordru's no cakewalk."

"Glorith is stemming Mordru's access to magic as best she can, Wildfire," Phantom Girl replied as she darted through a large boulder. "And several others are are slowing down the rest of his slaves. Don't worry. If anyone can stall Mordru, it will be us."

"I appreciate your faith in our abilities, Phantom Girl, but I hope the other teams can do their part as well." Dawnstar kept her wings close even as she maintained top speed around the large cavern. Bolts of energy rained all around, yet she adeptly dodged them all.

"Just keep pounding him so he can't cast any more complex spells," XS pummeled Mordru with thousands of punches as she said that. "That's what we did with our Mordru."

"XS... Saturn Girl needs you and Gates," Phantom Girl noted. "Sorry, we'll have to borrow you."

"On it, Tinya!" XS zipped off.

"Great," Ultra Boy muttered as his invulnerable body absorbed a blast meant for Chemical Kid. "Our fastest Legionnaire is gone. Keep your powers on at full blast, Hadru."

"I know, Ultra Boy," Chemical Kid said through gritted teeth. His eyes were closed and his hands outstretched; his powerful abilities were slowing down Mordru's metabolism as best he could. "Grife, if he's already this tough without his full power, imagine how bad he'll become if he gets his hands on Kinetix?"

"That's why we can't let that happen," Mon-El said grimly as he slammed into Mordru yet again. "We mustn't."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/24/15 01:38 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #814947 07/22/14 04:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Fantastic stuff IB, loving Cos informing the team about their opponents- I could see that happening in the comic, a clever way to deal with the situation. XS battering Mordru and Harmonia and Cham dealing with Yellow Peri and lamprey knocking out Maya are all great little scenes. I have a feeling Zoe will save the day ultimately, and that would be a cool ending to this section given everything she's been through. Your love of the characters shines through and continues to inspire , more, more, more!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Invisible Brainiac #814948 07/22/14 05:10 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks Harbi, so nice of you to comment and thanks for the encouraging words! The Legion's large cast makes for great battle scenes like these. More coming up for sure, and I can't wait to finish this section, I'm so excited!

Invisible Brainiac #814988 07/22/14 11:18 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

A panting Crystal Kid turned to Element Lad with worry. "I - I can feel my crystal wall being chipped away by the second! I don't know if I can keep replenishing it..."

"Bobb..." Element Lad said through gritted teeth, "I'm struggling as well, and so is Star Boy. But we owe it to everyone else here to keep the bulk of Mordru's slaves penned in as long as we can." Even as he tried to encourage Crystal Kid, Jan transmuted as much air as he could into magic-resistant iron and indestructible inertron. Many of the most powerful - and dangerous - magicians were behind the wall they were holding.

Beside Jan, Star Boy was doing his best to weigh down the enemy. "And I thought I was the optimistic one," he grunted with a smile. "Good to have you in such high spirits, Jan."

Crystal Kid opened his mouth to reply, but before he could utter a word, a section of the wall exploded outwards. The Legionnaires were barely able to shield themselves in time.

"A cute trick," sneered a rich, deep female voice. "But useless against any intermediate magician."

Element Lad quickly transmuted a small section of their shielding at eye-level into oxygen. "Cos, look through my eyes," he thought as he took in the regal black-haired woman in a green bodice and cloak, not unlike what the Emerald Empress might wear.

In a second, Cosmic Boy responded. "That's the Enchantress. She's a powerful magic user, and can virtually control any non-living object. Needless to say, be very careful."

"Yeah, even if you hadn't said it like that, your shaking voice would have tipped us off," Star Boy cracked. "We need to blitz her. Follow my lead."

Star Boy aimed his power at the cavern ceiling. With a loud boom, the rock above rained down on the Enchantress. At the same time, crystal spikes formed around her feet and traveled quickly up her legs. She gave a contemptuous laugh as she waved her hands; the falling rock turned into a shower of bubbles and the crystal vanished in a flurry of powder snow. "Amateurs. Onwards, my fellows. We face no real obstacle today."

"I beg to differ." A purple-haired figure planted herself in front of the Enchantress. "I am Rainbow Girl, and I intend to stop you."

"Dori, what are you doing?" hissed Crystal Kid. "She'll kill you!"

"Even your ally knows you are outclassed," the Enchantress laughed. "Step aside, little one, and I will kill you painlessly."

"Not a chance," Rainbow Girl said as she stood her ground, despite her allies' pleas. "Today is an indigo day." Dori's hands glowed, and an indigo light erupted from them towards the Enchantress. The ground beneath rose up to form a barrier between the two, but the light snaked around it and enveloped its target.

The Enchantress fell to her knees. "What... have you done... to me?" she screamed.

"Given you a dose of compassion," Rainbow Girl said with satisfaction.

"Noooooo! Such pain!" The Enchantress arched her back and held her head in her arms. "Stop this!"

"Gladly," Star Boy jumped forward and punched the Enchantress in the back of the head. She slumped forward.

"Nice work, Rainbow Girl," Element Lad smiled as he shook her hand. "Now come on. Help us slow down the rest of these slaves."

Crystal Kid just stood silently with his mouth open. "I just saw it, but I don't sprocking believe it..." he muttered.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/24/15 01:38 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #814995 07/22/14 11:43 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Good stuff IB and great characterization particularly Bbob and Thom - well done! Rainbow Girl taking out the Enchantress was a real delight, more, more, more!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Invisible Brainiac #814999 07/22/14 11:46 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

"Anna Fortune is an intermediate-level mage, but she uses spellcasings - projectiles of concentrated magic - to cause a variety of effects."

Polar Boy wove in and out of the barrage being shot at him. The first shot hit the ground where he had been standing, leaving behind a smoldering crater. The next hit the wall behind him, turning it into air.

"Sun Boy? Night Girl? Anyone?" Polar Boy yelled into his ring. "I can't get a clear shot with all this dodging I'm doing!"

"Will I do?" Polar Boy looked up to see Nightwind in her Science Police uniform. He wasn't used to seeing her flowing hair outside of her costume's cowl. She held out her arms, and gusts of wind slammed into Anna, pushing her back.

"Bloody hell, what was that spell again?" Anna breathed as she fought the winds. "Ah... Bigatin!" Anna sank to the ground and grinned. "I knew turning heavy would be useful." She aimed at Nightwind and fired. The former Academy student barely dove out of the way in time; a black hole opened where she had been standing, sucking in debris and rubble before winking out of existence.

As Anna turned to fire again, ice coated her wrist launchers. "Quickly, Berta!" Polar Boy beckoned as Anna began to melt through the ice.

"Grife," Nightwind muttered as she landed near Polar Boy. "That would certainly have been a terrible end to a short career."

"Come on," Polar Boy said as he raised his hands. "It's only a matter of time before she gets a lucky shot. We have to stop her from being able to fire."

"And how do we do that? She won't stop shooting long enough for us to grab her gauntlets."

"We remove her visibility, of course."

"What do you... ahh." A wide smile spread across Nightwind's face. "And what has worse visibility... than a blizzard."

Polar Boy smiled back as he unleashed a flurry of ice crystals. Beside him, Nightwind caused the wind in the cavern to compress into a twister. Before Anna could fire another spellcase, a veritable storm of ice and dust washed over her. "Where are you?" Anna shouted. "Blast it, stop trying to hide!"

"And now, before she can magic this away..." With a flick of her wrist, Nightwind slammed Anna against the rock. As she slumped to the ground, Polar Boy swiftly encased Anna in ice.

He turned to Nightwind with a smile. "Have I told you that you totally had my vote when your Legion application came up?"

"I hope I still have it if I ever decide to apply again," Nightwind laughed. "Now come on, let's see how many more bad guys we can double team."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/26/17 05:40 PM.
Harbinger #815000 07/22/14 11:49 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Harbinger
Good stuff IB and great characterization particularly Bbob and Thom - well done! Rainbow Girl taking out the Enchantress was a real delight, more, more, more!

Many thanks, Harbi smile I'm glad your are liking my little battles. I told myself I should give every Legionnaire and ally a little bit of screen time, so with the Nightwind and Polar Boy segment done I still have 11 more to go. Not going to be that easy, but it is fun thinking of unusual pairings of characters.

Invisible Brainiac #815496 07/28/14 12:18 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

"Extraño was a stage magician who gained real sorcery from an experiment. He can levitate and fire energy blasts, and uses his stage magician past to surprise opponents."

Tyroc peered cautiously around the corner that his brightly-dressed opponent had disappeared around. He wasn't at all surprised to find him missing; surprises were plentiful when dealing with magic.

Seeing nothing, he let out a soft hypersonic scream. His magic-based sonics didn't pick up any resonance, though.

"You're not going to find your Auntie Extraño so easily, sweetie." Tyroc barely had time to react before a blast of energy flew right where his head had been.

Twisting around so he faced his attacker, Tyroc let out a scream. The magician conjured up a shield to block it. He waved a hand and Tyroc felt bands of energy constricting his face. "Normally I like a deep manly voice, but yours is a bit too loud."

"How about big manly muscles?" A slab of rock slammed into the levitating sorceror. Tyroc looked down to see Power Boy and Gravity Kid. "Ugh," Gravity Kid sneered as he used his powers to slam Extraño up into the ceiling. "I hope not all gay 21st century men talked like that."

"Yeah," Power Boy nodded as he altered his density to absorb Extraño's next energy blast. "Though I think the people back then were more diverse than that."

Gravity Kid raised his hands, causing Extraño's to fall. The sorceror gasped as he flailed on the floor. "There we go. A little gravity should keep him down... WHOA!"

The two lovers toppled over as the ground shook. Extraño laughed as he stared at his handiwork. "I don't need my hand gestures in order to cast spells, darlings." Freed of Gravity Kid's power, Extraño stood up and brushed off his cloak. "I don't want to kill such a handsome young couple, but Lord Mordru's orders were clear..."

Tyroc quickly stood up and let loose a perfectly-calculated hypersonic scream. Extraño dropped like a sack of potatoes. After checking to see if Extraño was out, he helped the two former Academy students to their feet. "Thanks for distracting him enough for his spell to dissipate." As the two stood up, he smiled. "And don't worry. From the time I spent in the past, I can tell you that not all gay men were that flamboyant."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/24/15 01:39 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #816468 08/09/14 03:00 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Ibis the Invincible is an ancient Egyptian prince who can do almost anything with his magical Ibistick."

"Hmph." Ibis the Invincible kicked the fallen Enchantress' body. "Felled by amateurs." She barely stirred as he walked past. Holding his Ibistick up, he faced the alloy wall that their opponents had created. "A simple matter to conjure this away."

A loud crash threw him forward. Coughing, he scrambled around. A life-sized stone statue lay where he had been standing. Muttering angrily to himself, he looked around for his Ibistick.

"Looking for this?" He gasped to see a black-haired man in a green and yellow costume grinning. "This maneuver worked really well against Pulsar Stargrave, and I'm glad it worked well on you too."

"Give that back, now!" Ibis thundered.

The brunette shook his head as he wagged an insolent finger at Ibis. "Ah, ah. One thing you should know... my code name is Matter-Eater Lad. It's a very descriptive code name, kind of like yours isn't." Matter-Eater Lad held up a rock. "See this?"

Ibis watched in horror as his opponent devoured the rock in seconds. "Now, what if I do this to your Ibistick?"

"You don't know what you're doing!" Ibis held out a pleading hand. "That is the source of my magics! Without it, I will be useless to Lord Mordru!"

"Exactly what I'm counting on." The impudent man raised the Ibistick to his lips.

"Noooo!" Ibis charged forward, arms flailing around. As he lunged for the Ibistick, Tenzil smoothly sidestepped him and grabbed arm. He flipped Ibis over, smashing him into the ground. The magician rolled over, unconscious.

"Wow." Tenzil turned to see an awakened Stone Boy approaching. "That was impressive."

"Thanks," Tenzil smiled. "We made a good team again."

Stone Boy nodded. "Glad using me as a missile worked out well. Again."

"And I'm just glad he fell for my bluff. After the Miracle Machine, I am so not eating any magical artifacts ever again." Whistling, he slipped the Ibistick into his belt pouch.

"One's a speedster and the other's a teleporter," Violet complained as she peered out of their tiny alcove. The sounds of battle were getting louder and louder, but she still didn't see any of Mordru's slaves... or any other Legionnaires. "Where are they"

"Oh, don't get so testy." Gates popped into view just as XS raced in. "We wouldn't even have to rush if the telepathic network had worked."

"We already explained why," Saturn Girl said. "Now come on."

"Oh, Zoe, it's so good to see you again!" XS smiled as she hugged Zoe. "How are you feeling? How is it to be back?"

"Um... okay, I guess?" Zoe tentatively hugged XS back. "You look a lot like Jenny... are you the Jenni I know?"

"Aaah... not quite." XS stepped back and put a hand on Gates' shoulder. "Do you remember Gates?"

Zoe tensed up as she took in the sight of the gigantic bug in a red hood. "Sorry... I've seen you in my mind because of Imra here, but it just seems so weird, you know?"

Gates shrugged as he stepped forward. "Normally I'd comment on you humanoids' fair-weather memories, but I'll make an exception. It is good to see you back, Zoe."

Zoe forced a grin. "Thanks."

"Hush now, and I'll bring you into the telepathic network," Imra said. XS and Gates took their places beside Zoe and Imra. Zoe almost laughed at how surreal the moment was; she was sitting in a circle with a giant talking bug! She closed her eyes and tried her best not to laugh.

In a second, Zoe could feel XS' and Gates' presences in her mind. "Now," Imra's voice sounded in her head, "I want you to recall all your memories of Zoe. You two are her only teammates in this reality. Don't just remember what happened, but remember how each of your senses was affected; what you thought; how you felt; relive the moments as best as you can."

In an instant, images flashed in Zoe's mind yet again. But these were different somehow. The earlier images felt like she was watching a movie; these seemed like she was in a dream. They just felt more real, somehow.

She saw herself with a tail and pointed ears, teleporting into a pitched battle. She saw herself saving Sally from a woman who was about to stab her. She felt Jenny's joy at seeing her again after so long.*

She saw herself without the tail and pointed ears; she was sitting alone in a room, feeling sad. Then Jenny popped in with a smile to ask her to share a dessert. She felt Jenny's concern and care at that very moment.**

She saw herself on a ravaged planetoid, helping conjure up a forcefield against a powerful blast of energy. She recognized Lyle, but he was telling her to cut off somebody's oxygen. Jenny was right beside her, getting ready to dash off and collect some talismans. She could feel the adrenaline coursing through her body.***

She saw herself floating in space with Gates and four others; she recognized Larry and Laurel, but didn't know the green boy or the blue girl. She and Gates were having a lively debate about space exploration. She could feel his annoyance.****

She saw herself sitting in a clinic and being examined. Her mind felt dull and overwhelmed; she could see Gates offering her a carving of a moon. She could feel his warmth and concern.*****

More images, more memories flashed into her mind. Through every one, she could feel the warmth and compassion, the love and the friendship from these two. They seemed to know her so well. And she was beginning to feel like she knew them too.

As they watched the proceedings, Violet began to gasp. "I... I can feel something!"

Dream Girl looked her up and down. "I should hope so. You're glowing!"

"How..." Violet looked at her hands. "What's happening?"

"It's just as Sensor Girl suspected," Mysa considered. "Your recent battle with the Emerald Eye left you with a portion of its power. Someone must be harnessing it now. But it is not me."

Violet drew her blaster and looked around warily. "Grife. Could one of Mordru's slaves be doing it?"

"I don't think so," Nura whispered as she pointed at the telepathic circle. "Look. Kinetix is glowing in exactly the same color!"

The three looked over to the telepathic circle. Though Zoe's eyes were closed, her hands were clenched. "She is starting to absorb your magic," Mysa breathed.

"Good," Nura smiled as she turned back to watch the entrance. "Then we have a chance."

IB's notes:

*Legionnaires 36; the Legion is reunited against the Fatal Five. Mysa had just repowered Kinetix and teleported her off into battle.

**Legionnaires 42; Mysa had just restored Kinetix's original form and powers.

***Legionnaires 50, the battle against Mordru

****Legionnaires 60, the Legionnaires investigate the Anomaly

*****Legionnaires 62, being examined after returning from the Anomaly

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/24/15 01:40 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #816469 08/09/14 03:44 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Volume 2: Scattered Souls

Jinx is a powerful sorceress who can tap the magic in the Earth. But she must keep her bare feet touching the ground to sustain these effects.

"Oh, well, that's sprocking helpful," Dragonwing growled as she let a burst of flame loose at Jinx. The bald sorceress countered by raising a rock wall for protection. "I don't suppose you've developed telekinesis, by any chance?"

"Sadly, no," Porcupine Pete spat out as he let loose a hail of quills at Jinx. The sorceress countered with a flood of water.

"Great," Dragonwing replied as both she and Pete soared up into the air above the water. "You go right, I'll go left... OOPH!" Before the pair could move, bursts of wind battered them away from their target.

Below, Jinx laughed. "Though this is a different world, magics flow pure into me, a strong vessel for a strong world... Much, much stronger than Earth..."

"Good to know, Mademoiselle." Jinx gasped as she was suddenly lifted up high into the air. She couldn't see anyone, but she felt powerful arms encircling hers. She began to kick behind her.

"Zut alors! Dragonwing!"

"On it, Jacques!" Dragonwing smiled as she punched Jinx right in the face. A second punch caused the sorceress' struggles to cease.

"Good teamwork," Invisible Kid smiled as he faded into view. He and Dragonwing exchanged high fives, even as Jacques held onto Jinx.

"Wow, nice work, guys," Porcupine Pete tried to keep the envy out of his voice as approached. "You did really well."

"You helped distract her too, mon ami," Jacques offered graciously.

"But if you want to help more," Dragonwing smiled as she removed her cape, "help me tie her up and we can use one of your quills to stake her to the wall so she can't access her powers."

Invisible Brainiac #816470 08/09/14 04:49 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Kid Eternity can summon one deceased soul at a time for one minute each. The soul must do his bidding.

Lightning Lad tensed as Val Armorr lunged at him. Garth's flight ring propelled backwards just in time; he countered with a burst of lightning. A heaving Karate Kid fell to the ground and faded from view.

"Who's next?" Garth looked around him. He couldn't see Kid Eternity through the chaos. "Lu? Chuck? See any... UGH!" Garth's eyes widened as a familiar masked figure leaped at him, pinning him to the ground. He desperately loosed his electrical powers to the limit, but the ironed up Ferro Lad barely flinched.

"Sorry, Garth," Andrew Nolan's voice was flat as he raised his fist. Garth's eyes widened as it began to fall...

... and then it stopped inches in front of his face.

"Uh, uh! Nobody kill Legionnaires on Quislet's watch!" Quislet's ship hovered nearby as Ferro Lad's body jerked itself upright. "Thanks, Quislet, but don't hurt him!"

"Lightning Lad worries too much," Quislet chirped cheerfully as it made Ferro Lad's body march around like a toy soldier. "Quislet can inhabit iron for five minutes, Ferro Lad fade away in one, it won't crumble before he returns to wherever he came from!"

Lightning Lad stepped towards his old teammate. Ferro Lad had been a Legionnaire for such a short time, but he still had been a friend. "Sorry, Andy... Quislet, follow me as soon as you're able. Let's end this."

Lightning Lad took to the air. "Lu? Chuck? Any luck finding Kid Eternity?"

"We have," Duplicate Damsel replied over Garth's flight ring. "Hurry!" Luornu reintegrated her second body just as a large boulder fell where she had been standing. In front of her, a summoned Chemical King was guarding Kid Eternity. Condo fired beam after beam of his power, causing various effects: rusted metal, oxidized fires, sudden explosions. Luornu quickly summoned a dozen bodies and charged at him. She just had to wait the minute out.

She watched as her other bodies dodged beams and explosions; those with severe injuries were promptly integrated back into her. She shuddered as each one rejoined her to heal. She had to be careful not to sap her energy. Finally, after the minute was up, Chemical King faded away.

Luornu quickly summoned a full dozen bodies and charged towards Kid Eternity. "We have you now, Kid!" she yelled as she approached.

"Not quite," Kid Eternity smirked. "Eternity won't be beaten that easily."

Luornu tensed as she waited for the next hero to materialize. Would it be Superman? A Green Lantern? She might not even last a minute against those...

All her jaws dropped as the mists dissipated. No. It was the one Legionnaire she couldn't bear to see like this.

A girl in an purple dress and orange cape stepped forward. "Sister?"

"Oh grife." Luornu could sense her alternate bodies' confusion as one of her own stepped forward. "You... you look just like you did. The day COMPUTO killed you."

She could see the sadness in her dead self's eyes as she reached a hand out. "Luornu. Let Mordru win today. Please."

"I... I..." Fight it, Lu! You're stronger than this! He's just playing with your mind! Luornu screamed at herself as she tried to move. She could hear Kid Eternity's cruel laugh in the background. Luornu steeled herself as she drew back a fist. "I'm sorry, sister..."

"You sprocking nasshead!" Luornu and her selves turned as a familiar blue-and-white figure crashed into Kid Eternity. The white-clad redhead fell to the ground and tumbled. As he landed, Luornu saw her first body vanish.

She fell to her knees as Bouncing Boy ran to her. "Oh, Luornu, I'm so sorry you had to go through that..."

Lu hugged her husband tight as he helped her to her feet. "It's okay, Chuck. Thanks..." Luornu blinked back the tears as she forced herself to stand up straight. "I just have to accept that even though I can have as many bodies as I want now, none of them will be the same as my original Sisters."

Luornu smiled as she saw Chuck's eyes, misty-eyed and full of love. She held onto him as she spoke into her flight ring. "Kid Eternity's down, Garth."

Invisible Brainiac #816546 08/09/14 06:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Great stuff IB, loving your pairings, especially Dragonwing and Porcupine Pete. Lu facing her lost self was poignant too. Good to see Zoe being returned to herself, your love of the reboot team really Shi.es in the scene where she shares Gates and Jenni's memories. Really looking forward to you getting all your team together.

Love your work, more, more, more!

Invisible Brainiac #816547 08/09/14 06:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Post boot not reboot... Sorry. Actually, if I'm honest I don't know the difference as I only really followed the 5YG team then dipped in and out and bought old issues randomly.

Invisible Brainiac #816559 08/09/14 07:43 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks, Harbi! So nice of you to keep reading and commenting. I'm glad my odd pairings worked out, and that the Lu scene did as well. I'm also pretty excited that this part of the story is almost over. Looking forward to getting all the other Legionnaires back too.

No worries, I think Postboot and Reboot are interchangeable. They refer to the same incarnation of the team. I just prefer Postboot because it's alliterative with Preboot.

Invisible Brainiac #816560 08/09/14 07:46 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
By the way, I went back and gave Stone Boy a couple of lines in his scene with Tenzil and Isis. I thought I should, seeing as how everyone else at least got something to say!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/09/14 07:47 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #816569 08/09/14 09:00 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Mordru's eyes glowed as he felt his anger grow. He had enslaved dozens of the most powerful magic users of Earth's last great heroic age, yet most were not proving to be of any use now! The captured Glorith and Sensor Girl had been freed, and the Legionnaires were mounting a full-scale assault to help keep Kinetix out of his grasp.

This was unacceptable.

He cast his eye around the battlefield, mentally commanding himself to ignore the pain from the Legion's attacks. One of them must have a power that was affecting him. Though his mind was strong, his body felt like lead.

Dawnstar and Mon-El were buzzing around his head like flies. Wildfire hovered a few feet away, throwing large amounts of energy at him. That upstart Phantom Girl was darting through the walls, trying to distract him while barking instructions...

... and Ultra Boy was firing flash vision at him, while standing in front of an impudent young man in ridiculous glasses and an even more ridiculous coat. That must be it.

With a mighty roar, Mordru threw his head back and unleashed a wave of ambient magical energy. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Mon-El and Wildfire get thrown back. Dawnstar evaded a direct hit, but got caught in the shockwave as well. He heard Phantom Girl's audible gasp as all three Legionnaires fell.

"Hadru, move!" Phantom Girl commanded. "Jo, stall Mordru as best you can..."

"That won't be for long." Mordru's gigantic fist swatted Ultra Boy away like a fly, while another reached for the one Phantom Girl had called Hadru.

"No!" Phantom Girl dove towards them as Mordru closed in. A spell of time - one he had seen Glorith do - stopped her in her tracks. It would last but a few seconds, but it would suffice.

Hadru screamed as Mordru's hand closed around him and squeezed tight.

"What have you done to me?!" Mordru thundered. "And how have you delayed my army of slaves?"

"Go to Hell!" Hadru spat, though Mordru could clearly see his eyes bulging with pain and effort.

"I will one day. But you will precede me." Mordru began to squeeze tighter. Hadru's fingernails dug into his own fingers as the youngster began to writhe. "You have one last chance."

"Nn-no... no..." Hadru wheezed.

"So be it." Mordru smiled devilishly as he tightened his hold.

"NO!!" Mon-El's heat vision burned his fingers, and he opened them involuntarily. Phantom Girl caught the unconscious Hadru and flew away. Mordru screamed with rage as he unleashed the energy within him, lighting up the chamber.

Phantom Girl looked up to see Ultra Boy recovering, and Dawnstar, Wildfire and Mon-El flying out with her. Mordru's obliteration of the chamber caused rock and debris to fly everywhere. She cursed silently to herself; the maze of rock had caused the Legionnaires and Mordru's salves to spread out, and was one of their biggest advantages thus far.

"Imra, you'd better hurry," she said into her flight ring. "We're really running out of time."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/24/15 01:42 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #816616 08/10/14 11:40 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Element Lad couldn't recall being so tired in his life. Mordru's energy blast had destroyed most of his wall; he was trying to rebuild as much of it as possible, but Mordru's slaves were already streaming past.

Beside him, Glorith was chanting at a furious pace. The glow of her magic surrounded the oncoming horde. "There are too many of them, Element Lad!" she breathed.

A bolt of energy slammed into Glorith, causing her to scream. Element Lad turned to see a white-haired woman in a long, flowing robe. "We are indeed many, but even one such as I, Jennifer Morgan, is enough to fell an inexperienced child."

"Don't talk about my nova-bright friend like that, larva hair!" Comet Queen charged at Jennifer from behind, comet gases billowing around them both. Before Jennifer could react, Comet Queen punched her in the face. "Is Glorith space-snappy, Element Lad?"

Jan shook his head as he examined Glorith. "Let me see if I can wake her."

"I would not bother." Jan and Grava looked around as a woman and a man with feathers in their hair stepped forward. As one, they yelled "INUKCHUK!" Jan and Grava gasped as they both grew to gigantic size.

"Grava, take Glorith and run!" Jan yelled as he transmuted the rock around them into a magnesium flare. He didn't even stop to see if his opponents - now named by Cosmic Boy as Manitou Dawn and Manitou Raven - were blinded as he commanded his flight ring to carry him away as fast as it could.

Zoe's heart raced as he relived scene after scene. She couldn't get over how real they felt. Her adventures with XS and Gates, running around fighting criminals, seemed almost as real as the times she sat in Starbucks with Jenny doing homework and talking about boys.

She saw Gates' telling her and Jan that he had sent the Emerald Eye to them. She felt his confidence in her ability to stop it.**

She saw XS asking her for advice about a boy she liked - one she recognized as Larry Gand. She felt XS' trust in her as a confidante.

She wanted to shut the images out of her mind. Not because she hated them, but because she was beginning to be overwhelmed. Her memories of her simple life in a small town, with a normal family and normal friends and normal adolescent concerns, seemed as real as her new memories of a fantastic life catching super-powered criminals in outer space.

Cosmic Boy stared in horror as Sensor Girl and Brainiac 5 fell before him, smoke rising from their bodies. He recognized their attackers - Felix Faust and the Black Orchid. The tall, lean man smiled wickedly as he wagged a finger. "So, you are the one with knowledge of all our powers and identities."

Rokk quickly pulled whatever metal he could around him and hurled the pieces at the pair. Faust quickly disintegrated the pieces in front of him. "Please, you will have to do better than that-UGH!" Rokk smiled as a large piece of scrap hit Faust on the back of the head; just as he expected.

"I won't be beaten as easily," Black Orchid's tone was cold as she leaped right at Cos. Grabbing both his wrists, she pinned him down.

"Unhand him!" Tellus telekinesis lifted her off Rokk and slammed her against a wall.

"Thanks, Tellus, I..." Cosmic Boy never finished his sentence as a pinkish glow surrounded both of them. His face froze in horror as both he and Tellus turned to stone.

The Silver Sorceress stepped out from behind her hiding place, and examined her work. "Alive, but trapped," she murmured as she checked on Black Orchid. "Trapped, just like the rest of us..."

Zoe saw Gates crying out her name on while they were surrounded by aliens on a distant world. Though she looked like a spotted orange alien, she felt Gates' firm belief that she was still his friend.

She saw XS racing towards her as she, still in her orange form, was being attacked by a man who looked like a younger Superman. She felt XS' intense grief and rage as she vanished in a flash of light.***

She saw Gates and XS confronting Mysa about her fate. She felt their confusion and sense of loss at being told she couldn't be released just yet.

She saw the three of them, standing with almost two dozen others, waving to the largest crowd she had ever seen. A crowd larger than she could ever imagine. A crowd containing people from all over the world, and people who could not have possibly been from Earth.

And all these people were cheering. Cheering for them.

She felt pride. A true sense of belonging. Purpose. She looked around the faces, recognizing many - Sally, Jenny, Ayla, Candi, Garth, Irma, Jan, Tom, the triplets, Rick. But Gates and XS were telling her that she knew them by different names.

She tried to look away, but couldn't. How could it all feel so real?

"Oh no," Invisible Kid froze. "I cannot hear Cosmic Boy or Tellus anymore."

"Sprock," Sun Boy said beside him as he threw a blast at the pointy-haired youngster who had been identified as Klarion the Witch Boy. "Without Cos' knowledge, we're..."

Dirk was cut off as the wall in front of them came crashing down. Before either man could react, they were pulled away by two giant hands. Dirk looked back to see Klarion being buried in the rock.

"Colossal Boy! It is tres good to see you!"

"Later with the platitudes, Jacques," Chameleon Girl landed on Colossal Boy's shoulder. "We have to keep moving." She turned and pointed behind her; a woman in metallic gold gown, arm-length red gloves and a purple flower-shaped crest was laughing as a horde of demons and ogres crawled around the caverns before her.

"All we know is that's the Queen of Fables," Gim gasped as he shrank down to normal size," but Cos wasn't able to tell us what she can do."

"Honestly, I don't care right now." Dirk didn't look back as he took to the air with his flight ring. "I agree with Yera. Run!"

"I think you're going to like this one, Zoe." Zoe felt XS' voice in her mind. Though she couldn't see it, she knew XS was smiling widely.

She saw herself being supported by XS as she held a beautiful seven-pointed star that looked like light was trapped within it. She was confronting an old woman in a purple hood and dress. Zoe could feel the power from the star as she threatened to turn it on the woman.*

And then she saw her mother and her brother barge in and confront the old woman. She watched as her mother demanded the old woman alone.

And suddenly she recognized that this was her mother. The way she talked. The sound of love in her voice. It rang so clearly in her mind.

Zoe felt her last doubts vanish as everything seemed to click into place in her mind. It was like she had been swimming against a river, but now she let herself be carried by it. She remembered everything so clearly now. Zoe let herself drink in the feeling. She knew who she was. She knew who these people were. She understood everything now.

She let herself revel in the maelstrom of memories that had been unlocked in her mind. She remembered both "lives" that she had lived, but only one seemed real to her now.

She was a Legionnaire.

She forced herself to open her eyes in the physical world so she could look at XS and Gates, in the flesh, and show them that she remembered.

But her smile turned into horror as she saw XS being engulfed by a black shadow shaped like a raven. Saturn Girl screamed as a yellow glow surrounded her body.

And Gates dangled before her, blood running from his mouth and a yellow trident poking through his chest.

Kinetix watched in horror. And then she felt her heart burst as the cavern exploded with green light.

*IB's notes:

1) this happened in Legionnaires 42, which revealed Kinetix's connection with her universe's Mysa
2) LSH v4 121. That was a pretty good scene; Gates teleports the Emerald Eye into a cave, and Kinetix and Element Lad try to stop it! (Jan managed to blind it with a magnesium flare!)
3) Legion of 3 Worlds; Superboy-Prime "killing" Zoe

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/26/17 05:45 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #816802 08/12/14 08:13 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Great stuff IB! But now i wonder is that just Kinetix' s powers fully returning or is that the ever present Emerald Eye crashing the party?

Can't wait for the next installment!

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
Invisible Brainiac #816804 08/12/14 09:10 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Hi Omni, thanks for commenting smile Really appreciate your taking the time to read the voluminous amount of posts.

That's a good question on the Emerald Eye smile But no, I hadn't intended for it to show up because Mordru had not enslaved it. That would have been good though!

Invisible Brainiac #817211 08/16/14 02:56 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I finally caught up! Really like the team-ups to fight the enslaved magic users, all those little fights remind me of the old JLA/JSA team-ups smile

Extrano vs the embarassed for him Gravity Kid was pretty funny and I like the creativity with all of the resolutions as well. Looks like it's really hit the fan now, looking forward to more! smile

Invisible Brainiac #817215 08/16/14 04:19 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Hi raz, thanks for continuing to read! Glad you enjoyed all the little skirmishes. I really like writing those, gives a chance to use unusual combos of characters.

It's hit the fan all right! Looking forward to writing the next too

Page 8 of 49 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,841
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Wayne3003
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
rtvu2
rtvu2
Texas
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star