Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad), 27 Murran Spies, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:26 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 11:17 AM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Eduardo Barreto
#821793 09/21/14 02:50 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
A true craftsman and consummate professional, he drew the New Teen Titans during the first phase of their Post-Perez decline, for which he was not at fault in the least. Meanwhile, he drew one issue of Legion of Super-Heroes, Baxter #56. One. Single. Solitary. Issue.

And he did it with his usual excellence. Here's a few panels, courtesy of Thoth:

[Linked Image]

Now, IIRC, he left NTT right about the time Greg LaRocque left LSH. And sometimes I wonder, what if he'd replaced LaRocque instead of the returning K**th G*ff*n? It's all too easy to dream of what might have been, but I like to indulge in it.

I also wonder, if Barreto had become the regular artist on Legion, would sales have continued their downward slide? Or would the slide have reversed itself? hmmm

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Re: Eduardo Barreto
Fanfic Lady #821794 09/21/14 03:18 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I think had Barreto replaced LaRoque, Levitz would have been more likely to have called it a day early.

Like Perez with Wolfman, Giffen probably gave Levitz a shot in the arm. Levitz had wanted to go at the end of 50/51(?) I think it's very likely Giffen gave the sales a shot in the arm too, as so many love the earlier Levitz/Giffen pairing.

If the book was produced the same way as the Titans, then I don't think Barreto would have been supplying any more than the art. Both the Titans and Legion prospered with multiple people adding to the plot pot.

It's no reflection on Barreto that he was involved with Titans when the writer had writer's block and the Legion when the writer had an eye towards to finishing line.

I think I'll give myself a couple of brownie points for getting through the whole post without saying "what downward slide?" D'Oh! wink

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #821796 09/21/14 04:08 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by thothkins
I think had Barreto replaced LaRoque, Levitz would have been more likely to have called it a day early.

That, in my opinion, would have been a good thing.

Like Perez with Wolfman, Giffen probably gave Levitz a shot in the arm. Levitz had wanted to go at the end of 50/51(?) I think it's very likely Giffen gave the sales a shot in the arm too, as so many love the earlier Levitz/Giffen pairing.

I'm not so sure of that, and I'm trying to look at it as objectively as I can. G*ff*n's style during his second Legion run with Levitz polarized people (hell, his style even polarized people towards the end of his first Legion run with Levitz -- many readers feel he lost it circa Omen/Prophet and never quite got back on track.)

Does anyone here at Legion World know for certain if sales went up during Baxter 50-63, or if they were continuing to decline?

If the book was produced the same way as the Titans, then I don't think Barreto would have been supplying any more than the art. Both the Titans and Legion prospered with multiple people adding to the plot pot.

I personally prefer more impersonal artists who just do their job and do it well. That, of course, is just a matter of individual taste. But I also feel very strongly that when Perez returned to the Titans after Barreto left, it was just as bad story-wise as it was when G*ff*n re-teamed with Levitz.

Fanfic Lady #821798 09/21/14 04:47 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
That, in my opinion, would have been a good thing.

I had wondered if you were including Levitz in with the decline. I'd have to dig out the issues to have a think about the plots that felt like a natural extension of #50. Lar, Shady and Brainy leaving for example seem fair.

Originally Posted by Fanfic LadyI'm not so sure of that, and I'm trying to look at it as objectively as I can. G*ff*n's style during his second Legion run with Levitz polarized people (hell, his style even polarized people towards the end of his first Legion run with Levitz -- many readers feel he lost it circa Omen/Prophet and never quite got back on track.)[/quote

I was thinking about the early issues of that spell. Just long enough for people to say "this is Giffen? I wasn't thinking about that Omen/Prophet watershed, so that's a fair point.

[quote=Fanfic Lady]Does anyone here at Legion World know for certain if sales went up during Baxter 50-63, or if they were continuing to decline?

I recall a quote from one of the books possibly around that time along the lines of "Our sales were still going down. But they weren't going down as quickly as everyone else's" smile

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
But I also feel very strongly that when Perez returned to the Titans after Barreto left, it was just as bad story-wise as it was when G*ff*n re-teamed with Levitz.

Avengers, JLA and the TItans were all better with Perez. His art is good enough able to atone for issues elsewhere. I do seem to recall really liking Who is Wonder Girl (leaving continuity issues at the door). I can't remember what the share of plotting was supposed to be, but I'm sure I read that Perez was never going to be around for long. So, the writer's block would have continued right along.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #821819 09/21/14 05:49 PM
OP Offline
I'd have to dig out the issues to have a think about the plots that felt like a natural extension of #50. Lar, Shady and Brainy leaving for example seem fair.

Agreed. I liked all of those. But the whole Revenge and Death of the Emerald Empress/Dream Girl and Atmos/Magic Wars stuff was very unappealing to me personally.

Fanfic Lady #821928 09/22/14 03:23 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I really liked the Empress two parter. Downside: You lose an iconic Legion villain (although others can take on the mantle). Upside: The Empress' quest ending as her power consumes her. A powerful scene with Jeckie too. Cool uniforms (except Brin's)too.

The Barreto issue was a lead into that with the villain there having an unpleasant follow up encounter with the Empress. The Dreamy/Atmos subplot wasn't a favourite, but followed up on the Universo plot.

Magic Wars seemed a bit rushed in the end, but had its moments and really set it'sef as a midpoint form the decline following Superboy's death through to 5 years later.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,937
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Tiffany Spiffany
Tiffany Spiffany
Mayavale University
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star