Roll Call
1 members (Lard Lad), 26 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:33 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:30 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/24/24 09:11 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20
Re: The Big Pile o'Trades on the Coffee Table Next to My Recliner!
Pov #912628 10/09/16 02:55 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Pov
Originally Posted by Paladin
As Pov pointed out on FB with a meme

OH NO!! lol I didn't mean to pick on you, PALardy!! love I share your illness!!

lol Nah, it's something I think about every day when I look at the monstrosity (beautiful, though it is) that is the Pile! It's just time to follow thru... nod

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #912668 10/10/16 07:31 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
...when I look at the monstrosity (beautiful, though it is) that is the Pile! It's just time to follow thru... nod

Competing with the backup success of Hillman's 1942 The Heap, National brought out the first of their muck monster mags. It was The Piles and it was immediately banned by the comics code.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #912672 10/10/16 07:34 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
LOL

Did an ancestor of Alan Grant write it?

(For the non-AG-minutiae-obsessed: AG teamed up with Simon Bisley to create a comic titled "Shit the Dog.")

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #912674 10/10/16 07:45 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
(For the non-AG-minutiae-obsessed: AG teamed up with Simon Bisley to create a comic titled "Shit the Dog.")

You really ought to be seeing a doctor if you're excreting wildlife. Or a shrink, if you were involved in its location in the first place. smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #912675 10/10/16 07:47 AM
LOL lol

A shrink can't do SQUAT for the animal-poopers.

wink

Lard Lad #912751 10/10/16 01:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Online Content
Time Trapper
L
So with that in mind, I wonder which of these TPBs I should use my certificate on:

Vision Vol. 1
Superman: Lois & Clark
Doctor Strange: Into the Dark Dimension
Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide Vol. 2

Decisions, decisions.... hmmm

So I went with Vision Vol. 1 which I got a best offer of $10 and free shipping on! After applying my eBay Bucks certificate, I paid just over $4 for it!

So that's it--the Pile shall not grow anymore between now and January, unless I allow myself one IST order around Christmas! nod

Lard Lad #917645 12/04/16 03:30 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Pile UPDATE (12/04/16)

Currently Reading

Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus Vol. 3
Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol. 1 (Re-read project w/Fick)

Recently Read

Essential Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 3
Southern Bastards Vol. 3
Star Wars: Rebel Jail
Lazarus Vol. 4
Vision Vol. 1: Little Worse Than Man

To-Read Pile

Mage Vol. 2: The Hero Defined
West Coast Avengers Omnibus Vol. 2
Goldfish
Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol. 2
Scout Vol. 2
Frank Miller's Ronin Deluxe Edition
Marvel Masterworks: Silver Surfer Vol. 1
Iron Man by Michelinie, Layton & Romita, Jr. Omnibus
Murder Me Dead (David Lapham)
Stray Bullets Uber Alles Edition
Grimjack Omnibus Vol. 2
Jon Sable: Freelance Omnibus Vols. 1 & 2
Secret Six Vol. 1: Villains United
Underwater Welder
Marvel Masterworks: Doctor Strange Vol. 6
Flex Mentallo
Nemo: Heart of Ice, Roses of Berlin & River of Ghosts
Orion by Walt Simonson Omnibus
Shaman's Tears (Mike Grell)
Howard the Duck Omnibus
Just the Tips (a Sex Criminals companion by Fraction/Zdarsky)
Thor Omnibus Vol. 2
Marada the She-Wolf
Bandette Vol. 2
Swamp Thing (Brian K. Vaughn) Vols. 1 & 2
Pride of Baghdad
Camelot 3000 Deluxe edition
Guardians of Galaxy Vol. 1 (Bendis)
Moon Knight Epic Collection Vols. 1 & 2
Star Wars: Legacy (Ostrander) Vols. 2-5
Star Wars: Tag & Bink Were Here
The Private Eye (Vaughn)
Descender Vol. 1
Deadpool Classics Vols. 1, 2 & 3
Crossover Classics Marvel/DC Vol. 1
Paying for It by Chester Brown
Princess Leia TPB
Secret History Omnibus Vols. 2 & 3
Showcase Presents Warlord Vol. 1
World War Hulk
Star Slammers Complete Collection
Crisis on Infinite Earths Deluxe Edition
Thanos: Infinity Revelation
The Wizard's Tale
Superman: Secret Identity
Twilight Children
Marvel Masterworks Captain America Vol. 8
New Teen Titans Vol. 4
Thor: The Mighty Avenger Complete Collection
Marvel Masterworks: The Defenders Vol. 5
Wonder Woman: Earth One
Doom Patrol/Grant Morrison Omnibus
X-Statix Omnibus
Ultimate Spider-Man: Chameleons
Doctor Strange/Jason Aaron Vol. 1
World War Hulk: Incredible Hercules
Batman by Moench & Jones Vol. 1
John Carter Warlord of Mars Marvel Omnibus
Death & Return of Superman Omnibus
All-Star Section Eight
Batgirl Vols. 1-3 (Stewart/Fletcher/Tarr)
Rachel Rising Vols. 1 & 2
iZombie Omnibus
Tales of the Batman: Alan Brennert
Wonder Woman by Perez Omnibus (finally!)
Incredible Hulk: Heart of the Atom
Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall
Fables: Werewolves of Heartland
Omega Men: End Is Here

Lard Lad #917646 12/04/16 03:37 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Online Content
Time Trapper
L
So that's it--the Pile shall not grow anymore between now and January, unless I allow myself one IST order around Christmas! nod

I've kept my word--no new trades since last time with the lone exception of that Vision trade bought with my eBay Bucks. The Pile probably would have shrunk more over the last two months, but I read a few months' worth of my backlog of floppies for a couple of weeks or so. Lots of goodness there, confirming that I made some good choices as to what titles to keep and which to either drop or convert to TPBs.

Other than the Essential book to complete my Spidey project, I decided to read 4 contemporary books that my enjoyment or lack thereof would determine whether I would continue with subsequent volumes--Vision, Star Wars, Lazarus & Southern Bastards. When I find some time, I will share some snapshot thoughts of each with you all.

Lard Lad #917680 12/05/16 07:43 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I popped into the library the other day. I've not been in there in a few years and my card gets wiped for data protection reasons if I leave it. But they had a comics section!

So, I trotted back with the tail end of Swamp Thing, Superman, The Geoff Johns Legion, a couple of British things from 200AD, and a Bernie Wrightson collection!

I also got one of those...what do you call them... smaller than a normal comic or GN...like a comic digest, but without pictures...book! that's it. I picked up a book too.

There's not a huge selection. But you can request things in from further afield. Or Things. if it's another Benrie Wrightson presumably. They've had sales in the past, where I've picked up cheap history books. Just think if there had been GNs when they were doing that... >sigh<

Lard Lad #917795 12/06/16 05:03 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Working my way through the Grant Morrison NEW X-MEN Omnibus.

On their way:
DOCTOR STRANGE- Way of the Weird
I HATE FAIRYLAND v.2- Fluff My Life
VISION- Little Worse Than A Man

Lard Lad #917842 12/07/16 09:33 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Really interested on your thoughts on your latest reads! Lazarus and Southern Bastards are two series I switched to trades on as well, which has subsequently meant I've basically forgotten they exist. Your thoughts may sway me in one direction or the other.

(Spoiler: it'll take a lot to get me to reinvest my time in either).

Cobalt Kid #917856 12/07/16 10:58 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Really interested on your thoughts on your latest reads! Lazarus and Southern Bastards are two series I switched to trades on as well, which has subsequently meant I've basically forgotten they exist. Your thoughts may sway me in one direction or the other.

(Spoiler: it'll take a lot to get me to reinvest my time in either).

Ask and ye shall receive! nod

Lazarus Vol. 4: Poison was a really welcome surprise. The last arc, Conclave, saved the series from being totally dropped after I'd already decided to stop getting individual issues. That arc caused me to keep going with the series via trades instead of dropping. But at the same time, I was fearful that the forward momentum the series had suddenly gained would be traded back off for the glacial pacing and wheel-spinning that had characterized the series prior to Conclave.

But, again, I was pleasantly surprised. Poison featured an exciting "A" plot featuring Forever leading a small strike team to take a strategic outpost that could shift the power balance with the rival Hock family. As a result of Conclave, Forever's Carlysle family was now at war with Hock. So it was nice to see things escalating instead of just having things simmer in the background. This was a pretty tense, high-stakes mission and exemplified the forward momentum I wanted to see. If there's a small caveat with the "A" plot, it comes in the form of Forever coming off at times as some unstoppable force. I mean, she's kind of supposed to be one, but with just her small strike force supporting her, it seemed they ahould have faced even more adversity. But it was still an exciting mission, and we get to see a rather startling example of how far Forever's recuperative powers go.

The "B" plots, I feel, are what really make Poison sizzle. The interior politics of the Carlysle family as they deal with the power vacuum caused by their head being in a coma are actually very interesting, especially within the context of war and fragile alliances with other families crumbling. To Rucka's credit, a lot of the slow buildup in those first dozen issues does really start to pay off in a satisfying way. And then, at the very end, there's what I think is a jaw-dropping reveal that makes perfect sense in the context of what we've seen of this world's genetic advances that also puts some scenes from earlier in the series in a different context. It really adds a new layer to the mysteries surrounding Forever.

All in all, this trade did what I needed it to do for me to continue and did so in a way that really increased my enthusiasm for the book. Michael Lark remains on art and is the rock-solid foundation that makes Greg Rucka's story work. Really looking forward to the eventual Volume 5 with raised expectations and enthusiasm.

Lard Lad #917870 12/07/16 01:16 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Southern Bastards Vol. 3: Homecoming started to remind me a little of writer jason Aaron's, imo, best and career-defining work to this point, Scalped, which he did at Vertigo. (I think Scalped is one of the best long-form comics stories I've ever read, btw, so that's a good thing.) What he did here in this Southern Bastards arc is to not necessarily tell all that similar a story to what he did on Scalped, but he used a technique he'd used a couple of times in that book--each issue focused on a different character and told a self-contained story with each that still feeds on the overall plot and are all set generally before, after and during the big homecoming football game.

If you are not at all familiar with Southern Bastards, it centers around a small Alabama town whose main claim to fame is their dominant high school football team. Their coach, Coach Boss, is a ruthless S.O.B. who is also involved with organized crime and rules the town with an iron fist. In this way, I suppose, SB does have some superficial similarities with Scalped and its Chief Red Crow and how both use their settings to deeply explore their respective cultural contexts. But its the settings and nuances and unique character evolution that really differentiate one book from the other.

So this 6 issue arc spotlights six separate characters around the homecoming week. It's a mixture of major, supporting and previously unseen characters. It's unclear whether the new characters will continue to play a role or if they are just there to give flavor. One of the stories even features artist Jason Latour (who is a writer himself, having written comics like Spider-Gwen) writng the most bizarre tale of the bunch over guest-artist Chris Brunner.

Overall, it's a good volume which highlights Aaron's affinity for strong character-centric writing. If there's a weakness, it's that forward momentum is sacrificed a bit. There's a character and potential confrontation that's been teased since the end of the first arc. We finally get to spend some time with that character in the volume's final story, but we still have to wait for him or her to meet Boss and the rest in (likely) the next volume. This is also similar to how Scalped's first arc ended with a murder which was not dealt with head-on for several arcs later. That worked out well for Scalped, so I trust that it will for SB as well.

Unlike some of Greg Rucka's work, Aaron is a pro at not only building up and layering his story in an entertaining way but also delivering some real pay-off down the road that makes you glad he told the story the way he did. That's definitely the feel I'm getting from Southern Bastards that compares favorably to the well-admired Scalped.

But what I really like about Bastards is that it's a parable of the American South that feels both genuine and larger-than-life at the same time. I grew up in and still live in the South and can see a lot of truth in the story being told her by two native southerners. It's not pretty and doesn't pull any punches, but it also doesn't feel overly biased for or against its subject matter. When all is said and done, this could turn out to be an important series for those familiar or unfamiliar with the American South and its culture.

Lard Lad #917871 12/07/16 01:24 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Online Content
Time Trapper
L
And, btw, Cobie--did you ever read the complete first arc of Southern Bastards? I remember getting the impression that maybe you hadn't read issue 4, which concluded that arc. I wasn't really feeling the book until that issue, which made it clear that the series really wasn't about who and what it seemed to be about. It had a major twist and teased another character who I mentioned vaguely in the above review. Then, the second arc, centering around Coach Boss's history, absolutely grabbed me by the balls and showed me how great this book could actually be!

Anyhow, just curious. It may well turn out to be one of those few books you and I don't see eye to eye about, but I'm curious about how much you read. I'm not sure if the subject matter could make it harder for some to get into than others, even those who might normally be more open to grittier and more polarizing books.

Lard Lad #917922 12/08/16 07:35 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
You know, I can't remember if I made it to #4--I ended right around that time, so it was either #3 or #4. I just wasn't enjoying it in the monthly format, but I've always wondered if trade-waiting was the way to go. If you'll recall, the way I read Scalped originally was the first 4 trades, then a long break, then I read the whole thing in one sitting. And that was a hugely rewarding experience. So I wouldn't mind doing the whole thing here.

I think you've convinced me in the long term to get back into Southern Bastards, but I'll wait a bit longer until there's more to read at once.

Lard Lad #917936 12/08/16 09:59 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Cool! Did you read my Lazarus review above? Think you'll check that out, too?

Lard Lad #917995 12/09/16 08:56 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
That one I'm less sure on. The big difference between SB and Lazarus is Aaron versus Rucka, and the fact that Laz was just such a slow burn. On the one hand, I'm loving Rucka on Wonder Woman right now, and its probably my single favorite work of his since Gotham Central back in the day. But on the other hand, I keep thinking about how he can be such a joyless complainer, "we're all doomed" ultra liberal type, and I just can't stomach those people right now. His backmatter was sometimes so doom and gloom that it's still etched in my memory.

All that being said, everything is a different story once a series concludes. If you're still feeling very positive about the series 4 trades from now, and I get a chance to really dig in and read a whole slew of trades at once, that might be a really enjoyable way to spend some time and money.

So...er...I don't know? shrug smile I'll say your comments certainly give me hope that I'll one day come back to it.

Lard Lad #918026 12/09/16 09:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Here's another recommendation for Lazarus v.4. It did pick up the pace. I enjoyed the previous volume Conclave, but it was still kinda slow - remember it as dark conspiracies in back rooms, with bursts of action. Volume 4 opens with "Mercy", which is more like one of those Cold War stories with the spy trying to get out of East Berlin: lots of suspense and action. The "Poison" arc is live battle, a small group behind enemy lines, very tense - and in the background, the conspiracies and backstabbing continue at the Carlyle compound. All in all, a more complex and varied volume than the previous ones.

I only read it in trades. I think the publication schedule has been a bit spotty for individual issues and the flow of the story is much clearer when reading in larger chunks.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Lard Lad #918034 12/09/16 10:16 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I'm another one who's going to be catching up with Lazarus in trades. I just fell away from the single issues. Not that they weren't good, just that I think the pacing lent itself much more to a better read when collected.

Lard Lad #918054 12/10/16 05:54 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lots of trade readers for Lazarus! Will I become one? Only time will tell!

Lard Lad #918055 12/10/16 06:30 AM
Southern Bastards Vol. 3: Homecoming started to remind me a little of writer jason Aaron's, imo, best and career-defining work to this point, Scalped, which he did at Vertigo. (I think Scalped is one of the best long-form comics stories I've ever read, btw, so that's a good thing.) What he did here in this Southern Bastards arc is to not necessarily tell all that similar a story to what he did on Scalped, but he used a technique he'd used a couple of times in that book--each issue focused on a different character and told a self-contained story with each that still feeds on the overall plot and are all set generally before, after and during the big homecoming football game.

If you are not at all familiar with Southern Bastards, it centers around a small Alabama town whose main claim to fame is their dominant high school football team. Their coach, Coach Boss, is a ruthless S.O.B. who is also involved with organized crime and rules the town with an iron fist. In this way, I suppose, SB does have some superficial similarities with Scalped and its Chief Red Crow and how both use their settings to deeply explore their respective cultural contexts. But its the settings and nuances and unique character evolution that really differentiate one book from the other.

So this 6 issue arc spotlights six separate characters around the homecoming week. It's a mixture of major, supporting and previously unseen characters. It's unclear whether the new characters will continue to play a role or if they are just there to give flavor. One of the stories even features artist Jason Latour (who is a writer himself, having written comics like Spider-Gwen) writng the most bizarre tale of the bunch over guest-artist Chris Brunner.

Overall, it's a good volume which highlights Aaron's affinity for strong character-centric writing. If there's a weakness, it's that forward momentum is sacrificed a bit. There's a character and potential confrontation that's been teased since the end of the first arc. We finally get to spend some time with that character in the volume's final story, but we still have to wait for him or her to meet Boss and the rest in (likely) the next volume. This is also similar to how Scalped's first arc ended with a murder which was not dealt with head-on for several arcs later. That worked out well for Scalped, so I trust that it will for SB as well.

Unlike some of Greg Rucka's work, Aaron is a pro at not only building up and layering his story in an entertaining way but also delivering some real pay-off down the road that makes you glad he told the story the way he did. That's definitely the feel I'm getting from Southern Bastards that compares favorably to the well-admired Scalped.

But what I really like about Bastards is that it's a parable of the American South that feels both genuine and larger-than-life at the same time. I grew up in and still live in the South and can see a lot of truth in the story being told her by two native southerners. It's not pretty and doesn't pull any punches, but it also doesn't feel overly biased for or against its subject matter. When all is said and done, this could turn out to be an important series for those familiar or unfamiliar with the American South and its culture.

Having lived in the Nexus of All Realities for 25 out of my 26 years of living in the U.S., its proximity to the South has always given me an outsider-looking-in view of Southern culture (I feel, as my hero Tim Truman does about his native West Virginia, that South Florida is both of the American South and not quite of the American South.) And I already like Aaron's writing, particularly his honesty and even-handedness, so "Southern Bastards" sounds right up my alley.

Thanks, Lardy.

(Will get to "Scalped" someday, I promise. Problem is, my usually reliable library system only has two or three of the trades. So I guess that now that I'm gainfully employed once again, I'll make a priority of saving up for the "Scalped" trades.)

Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
I keep thinking about how Greg Rucka can be such a joyless complainer, "we're all doomed" ultra liberal type, and I just can't stomach those people right now. His backmatter was sometimes so doom and gloom that it's still etched in my memory.

I hear ya, Cobie. It's like I said in my Forsaken Fangirls thread (right around the same times as you made that post -- great minds and all that), extremism is one of the worst blights on human societies, whether it comes from the left or the right. Cheers. cheers

Lard Lad #920619 01/14/17 09:59 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Online Content
Time Trapper
L
Fick & Cobie--I just wanted to report in real quick here to let y'all know that I'm currently reading Thor Omnibus Vol. 2 and enjoying the HELL out of it!!! You will recall that I walked away from FF Masterworks Vol. 5 highly disillusioned with Kirby, but I'm beyond pleased that the contents of these Thor stories you both recommended have really redeemed his greatness in my eyes to this point! THANKS!!!

Lard Lad #920620 01/14/17 10:07 AM
Awesome to hear that, Lardy!! You're very welcome. Yeah, Thor in its mid-late 60s prime may well be the crown jewel of Silver Age Marvel. smile

Meanwhile, long as you're in a Kirby state of mind, you (and Cobie) are invited to check out my current Retroboot Legion story-arc, which is almost as much a New Gods story as it is a Legion story:

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=920282#Post920282

Lard Lad #920830 01/19/17 07:23 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
For the holiday, I picked up a bunch of stuff.

Paying For It: A comic-strip memoir about being a john
Justice League Darkseid War Part 2
Green Arrow: Death and Life of Oliver Queen vol. 1
Dr. Fate: The Blood Price Vol. 1

And these for $5 each:
El Diablo (The Haunted Horseman)
52 Vol. 4
Final Crisis Aftermath: Escape
Checkmate: Chimera
Authority: Prime

Last edited by Myg - Andy S; 01/19/17 07:24 AM.
Myg - Andy S #920845 01/19/17 09:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S
For the holiday, I picked up a bunch of stuff.

Final Crisis Aftermath: Escape

That's the one that blends Tom Tresser Nemesis with Kirby OMAC stuff. I remember it being an interesting concept, but being very disjointed.

Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,927
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Legolas
Legolas
on the lam!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star