Roll Call
2 members (Ann Hebistand, Eryk Davis Ester), 14 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/19/24 05:14 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/19/24 11:59 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 11:13 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20
Re: My Big-Ass Pile o'Trades Waiting To Be Read At My Whim
Lard Lad #941688 12/14/17 04:26 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Lucky you! I got it out of the library last Christmas and got happily lost in it over the holidays. The master at his finest.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Lard Lad #941743 12/15/17 09:43 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Paladin
You know, I can't explain perfectly, but I didn't think Vol. 2 of Vision quite held up to Vol. 1. It's not that it was bad at all, but it felt a little in a hurry to resolve itself in the allotted 12 issues. I'm usually not a fan of decompression, but I would have liked to have seen the story breathe a little longer. Those first six issues felt so perfect and just precisely timed. I didn't feel that with the latter six. It made the tragic happenings more hollow than I felt they should be.

I did appreciate the inclusion of Victor Mancha as a logical extension of the Vision/Ultron family. But in a way his late entrance and the consequences he brought undermined the story's more insular set-up. In the end he was kind of a story-accelerating device that eliminated some of the benefits of a slower burn. I would have liked to see more of the kids' interesting school interactions that mostly disappeared in the second half, for example.

I think, in a nutshell, that the source of my lower level of satisfaction is that the bulk of the character development happened in the first half and mostly just stopped there. It's not that they did nothing or just acted predictably, but the smaller moments gave way to big moments that could have benefited from more of the former.

I dunno. I probably need to read all twelve parts together next time to make a better judgement. But my first impression was that while the conclusion was good, the set-up was better. From all of the universal praise I've heard, I'm probably in the vast minority there.

I can agree that the set-up was superior to the finish, but there was still enough to recommend it. I was initially upset that they found a way to put the genie back in the bottle regarding Vision's status at the end, but in a way it's an even creepier ending as he hasn't really changed his attitudes or inclinations, it's just all hidden again. I also was hoping for a more cataclismic showdown/resolution given the ominous portents of the first part, but obviously there's no way Marvel was going to allow that.

I do wonder what King's leaving for DC did to the flow of the story? He was always looking at twelve issues, but the last several were written to fulfill the contract as I understand it.

I'll be anxious to hear what you have to say about Mister Miracle, which is a great spiritual successor to Vision and actually surpasses it on many levels.

Lard Lad #941802 12/16/17 04:24 PM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Well, it took me almost 2.5 years, but I finally re-read V for Vendetta last night in one marathon sitting. I agree with everything you listed about its best qualities, Lardy, and I would only add one more -- UPLIFTING. Just when it starts to feel like it's too much to bear (both for the reader and for Evey,) Valerie's note with her life story appears, and the mood gradually reverses itself until by the end of the story, I felt like a great weight had been lifted off my back. I felt empowered, and even (cautiously) optimistic. Moore's Promethea had a very similar effect on me. I'm even starting to reconsider how I rank Moore's works -- maybe Promethea at 1, V for Vendetta at 2, and From Hell at 3.

Without giving TMI, V for Vendetta was exactly what I needed to read at that precise moment in my life.

Thanks, Lardy.

You're welcome! Love me some VfV, and I'm so glad that you got more out of it after this re-read!

Was this just the second time you've read it? I think I've read it around 4 times, which is a testament to how much I love it and how rewarding a re-read it is!

I believe this was the second time I was able to read it all the way through. Other times, for one reason or another, it just got to be too much before the Valerie's note sequence. I think this is a good sign of how much strength within I've found in recent months.

Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S

Valerie's note changed my life

You both mention Valerie's story. It is unquestionably the centerpiece of the story, the part of it that makes a really great story cross over into being transcendent! One brilliant thing about her story is it could both stand alone on its own while also lending heart context and theme to the larger work. If I were teaching an LGBT studies class (I think such a thing exists), I would make Valerie's story part of the curriculum. I just love it, even as sad as it is.

Beautifully put, Lardy!

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Lard Lad #941803 12/16/17 04:30 PM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
Pile UPDATE 12/1/17

Read Since Previous Update

Flex Mentallo

Okay, Lardy, I've braced myself...nay or yay?

I think every DC or Batman fan should read the stories contained within Tales of the Batman: Alan Brennert at some point. Practically the entirety of Brennert's comic book output is contained within this book, and it is really something special, to the point where I've just got to do a longer review here somewhere! nod

If my library has it (95% probability they do) I'll borrow it. Thanks.

Ann Hebistand #941872 12/19/17 12:19 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Pile UPDATE 12/1/17

Flex Mentallo

Okay, Lardy, I've braced myself...nay or yay?

I think overall it was a "yay". Though it suffered from what I think is Morrison's biggest weakness--a tendency to under-develop his characters--I get the symbolic meta-message of what he was trying to artfully tell here and can certainly appreciate the craft and the intent. Plus, the extent of Morrison's imagination is on full display here and with more clarity than in his worst excesses. I'll definitely have to re-read this one some day!

Originally Posted by Fick
I think every DC or Batman fan should read the stories contained within Tales of the Batman: Alan Brennert at some point. Practically the entirety of Brennert's comic book output is contained within this book, and it is really something special, to the point where I've just got to do a longer review here somewhere! nod

If my library has it (95% probability they do) I'll borrow it. Thanks.

I feel 95% confident that you will enjoy it!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #941882 12/19/17 07:34 PM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
WHOOPEEEEE! I'm so glad you found more to like than dislike in Flex Mentallo, Lardy. It makes me even happier that you plan to re-read it, because it is definitely one of the Morrison projects that unearths more and more Easter eggs on each re-read. I also agree that most of the characters were a bit flat, although Flex himself is so heartwarmingly pure in his uncomplicated goodness that I wouldn't want him diluted or tainted. It's also occurred to me that perhaps FM benefitted from Quitely being (at the time) neither particularly knowledgeable, nor reverent towards, superheroes -- that really balanced out the creative dynamics, I believe.

Lard Lad #943856 02/03/18 03:54 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Pile UPDATE 2/3/18

Currently Reading

Iron Man by Michelinie, Layton & Romita, Jr. Omnibus

Frank Miller's Ronin Deluxe Edition
Secret Six Vol. 1: Villains United
Nemo: Roses of Berlin
Star Wars: Legacy (Ostrander) Vol. 3
Thor: The Mighty Avenger Complete Collection
Batgirl Vol. 3 (Stewart/Fletcher/Tarr)
Omega Men: End Is Here
100 Bullets: Hang Up on the Hang Low
Doctor Strange PB: Montesi Formula
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1
Green Lanterns Rebirth Vol. 2
Amazing Spider-Man: Clone Conspiracy HC
Red Hood & Outlaws Rebirth Vol. 1
Wonder Woman Rebirth Vol. 2
Hercules: Prince of Power
Captain America: Operation Rebirth
Action Comics Rebirth Vol. 2
Goldfish

To-Read Pile

Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol. 2
Stray Bullets Uber Alles Edition
Grimjack Omnibus Vol. 2
Jon Sable: Freelance Omnibus Vol. 2
Nemo: River of Ghosts
Shaman's Tears (Mike Grell)
Howard the Duck Omnibus
Just the Tips (a Sex Criminals companion by Fraction/Zdarsky)
Bandette Vol. 2
Pride of Baghdad
Moon Knight Epic Collection Vol. 2
Star Wars: Legacy (Ostrander) Vols. 4-5
Star Wars: Tag & Bink Were Here
Paying for It by Chester Brown
Crisis on Infinite Earths Deluxe Edition
Superman: Secret Identity
Twilight Children
Wonder Woman: Earth One
Doom Patrol/Grant Morrison Omnibus
X-Statix Omnibus
Ultimate Spider-Man: Chameleons
World War Hulk: Incredible Hercules
Batman by Moench & Jones Vol. 1
John Carter Warlord of Mars Marvel Omnibus
Death & Return of Superman Omnibus
All-Star Section Eight
Fables: Werewolves of Heartland
100 Bullets Book 2
Point Blank (Prelude to Sleeper)
Alpha Flight by John Byrne Omnibus
Complete Essex County by Jeff Lemire
New Teen Titans: Games
Ultimate Spider-man: Death of Spider-Man Prelude
Rachel Rising Omnibus
Sensational She-Hulk by John Byrne: The Return
Black Widow (Waid/Samnee) Vol. 2
Detective Comics Rebirth Vol. 2
Batman & Outsiders Vol. 1 HC
Ultimate Death of Spider-Man HC
Flash Rebirth Vol. 2
Marvel Masterworks Captain America Vol. 9
Hawkeye: Kate Bishop Vol. 1
Doom Patrol (Young Animal) Vol. 1
Superboy & LSH Vol. 1
Wonder Woman by John Byrne Vol. 1
Marvel Masterworks: Champions
JLU : Infinitus Saga
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 2
Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye Vol. 1
Mother Russia Vol. 1
Thor: Quest for Odin
Avengers: Assault on Olympus
Hercules: Full Circle
Spider-Man: Death of Jean DeWolff
Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
Doctor Strange: Into Dark Dimension
Doctor Strange: Don't Pay the Ferryman
All-Star Batman Rebirth Vol. 2
Postal Vol. 2
Spider-Man Sinister Six
Doctor Strange Vol. 4: Mr. Misery
Iron Man: Iron Monger
Green Lanterns Rebirth Vol. 3
Han Solo TPB
Trinity Rebirth Vol. 1
Superman Rebirth Vol. 3
Spider-Man Brand New Day Complete Collection Vols. 1-3
Aquaman Rebirth Vol. 3
Batman Rebirth Vol. 3
Cyborg Rebirth Vol. 2
Deathstroke Rebirth Vol. 2 & 3
Flash Rebirth Vol. 3
Hal Jordan & GLC Rebirth Vol. 2
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 3
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 3
Thor Omnibus Vol. 3
Thor by Walt Simonson Omnibus
JLI Omnibus Vol. 1
Super Sons Vol. 1
Detective Comics Rebirth Vol. 3
New Teen Titans Vol. 7
Walking Dead Here's Negan
Star Wars Vol. 5

New Stuff

Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus
Doctor Strange Sorcerer Supreme Omnibus Vol. 1
Death of Ultimate Spider-Man Fall-Out HC
Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide Vol. 6
Thing: Serpent Crown Affair HC
Thor: Black Galaxy Saga
Batwoman Rebirth Vol. 1
Superman Rebirth Vol. 4
Batman/Flash: The Button HC
Hal Jordan & GLC Rebirth Vol. 3
Wonder Woman Rebirth Vol. 3
Batman Beyond Rebirth Vol. 1
Spider-Man Brand New Day Complete Collection Vol. 4
Green Lanterns Rebirth Vol. 4

Some excellent recent reads from the Pile.....

Believe the hype about Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: it is TONS of FUN! I'm definitely on the hunt already for more!!!

Reading Secret Six, including my first-ever reading of the Villains United stories, makes me really nostalgic for Gail Simone's heyday on the book. Her New 52 relaunch was completely lackluster compared to her original work on the series.

Rebirth continues to impress with 4 more terrific volumes under my belt. WW Vol. 2 is way superior to Vol. 1. Red Hood was a surprising delight. Green Lanterns continues Jessica and Simon's involving run as Earth's GLs. Action Vol. 2 makes me forget the lackluster first edition.

Ostrander and Duursema are just awesome Star Wars creators. They got to do a lot of their own thing on Legacy, and it makes for some great comics. Only wish they'd ease up on the repetitive slang introduced in the prequels. Otherwise, this is some of the best Star Wars comics I've ever read!

Nemo: Roses of Berlin really suffers from several pages that are presented with entirely German dialog. Sure, it's authentic, I guess, but you can't help but feel cheated if you can't read German.

Thor: the Mighty Avenger doesn't entirely live up to the hype and praise it got, but it is a nice read and a different take on Thor and Jane. And the Samnee art is a treat, as I've grown into a huge fan of his. The story mainly suffers to a lack of resolution to its main storyline, brought on by its apparently hasty cancellation.

Omega Men--one of Tom King's big early projects before his rise to fame. It's good and definitely worth a read, but I think it lacks the depth of characterization I would have preferred, favoring instead the presentation of King's master vision. It's an interesting rumination, though, on revolution and whether the next thing it brings about is necessarily better. Lots of meta stuff you can take from it.

100 Bullets: I read the first two trades a few years ago and really enjoyed them. This is the third, and I was able to slide right back in without needing to re-read the others. A gripping story full of character and shocking plot developments. I already own the newer edition that collects the next three trades (Book 2) and look forward to reading that one fairly soon.

And, I hate to say it, but Captain America: Operation Rebirth really doesn't hold up all that well these days. This was the first time I'd re-read that in years. The story is thinner than I remembered it, and boy, is Ron Garney's art aping '90s styles excessively! It's rather cringe-worthy at times, but at least his style has improved much over time

Ronin starts off slow but gets better after a while. But it's not what I'd call a great story. Lots of style over substance.

Batgirl's initial Burnside run ends pretty well and bleeds rather smoothly into Rebirth.

I've long wanted to read the story of Doctor Strange eradicating the vampires since I read of its effects in the classic Claremont X-Men run. It's good but doesn't quite live up to the hype of my imagination. It suffers from having Dan Green as penciller. He's certainly competent, but he's an inker by trade for a reason. Even with Terry Austin assisting, it's underwhelming, especially considering other great Doc artists who directly preceded and succeeded him, like Colan, Marshall Rogers and Paul Smith. Steve Leialoha on the finale was an improvement, but this should have been graced with momentous art for what was a momentous event. In fact it really should have been Colan, given all the work he'd done on Dracula.

Goldfish was the last of my Bendis crime collections. Between this, Jinx and Torso, Torso is still my favorite. Goldfish is in some ways the darkest and most noir of the three. All pretty good reads and great for his pre-Marvel resume. Honestly, Bendis generally writes (and draws) this kind of thing better than most of his superhero stuff.

Lard Lad #943862 02/04/18 08:45 AM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
Lots of stuff in the To Read Pile I'd be interested to hear your opinion on, especially this one:

I first read it a decade after it was originally published, and was very impressed at the intensity and rawness of its righteous anger. It's not perfect, but, Ye Gods, does it have heart and soul. Easy to see how it immediately put Peter David on the map. People who don't know the full range PAD's writing and think he's just an inveterate punster should definitely give this one a go.

Thor: the Mighty Avenger doesn't entirely live up to the hype and praise it got, but it is a nice read and a different take on Thor and Jane. And the Samnee art is a treat, as I've grown into a huge fan of his. The story mainly suffers to a lack of resolution to its main storyline, brought on by its apparently hasty cancellation.

Somehow this one passed by my radar. Samnee and Langridge (the latter justifiably acclaimed for fresh takes on the Muppets and Popeye) sound like a creative team made for each other! Thanks, Lardy!

Omega Men--one of Tom King's big early projects before his rise to fame. It's good and definitely worth a read, but I think it lacks the depth of characterization I would have preferred, favoring instead the presentation of King's master vision. It's an interesting rumination, though, on revolution and whether the next thing it brings about is necessarily better. Lots of meta stuff you can take from it.

I loved it on first read, but ended up giving it away after getting more skittish about it with each re-read. It just seemed like there wasn't as much substance to King's vision as I'd originally felt. I don't know, maybe King's just not my cup of arsenic. shrug

Ann Hebistand #943863 02/04/18 09:44 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L

I first read it a decade after it was originally published, and was very impressed at the intensity and rawness of its righteous anger. It's not perfect, but, Ye Gods, does it have heart and soul. Easy to see how it immediately put Peter David on the map. People who don't know the full range PAD's writing and think he's just an inveterate punster should definitely give this one a go.

I read it when it first came out in PPSSM (plus a few re-reads), so I'm not coming into this cold. In fact, PAD is one of my all-time favorites on Spidey. I wish he'd spent a longer time on the character. That said, I haven't read those stories from his original run in a looooong time. I jumped at the chance to own this particular story in hardcover. I'll see how it holds up!

Originally Posted by Annfie

Somehow this one passed by my radar. Samnee and Langridge (the latter justifiably acclaimed for fresh takes on the Muppets and Popeye) sound like a creative team made for each other! Thanks, Lardy!

It is a delightful, worthwhile read. More of a romance comic (with superhero fights, albeit) than anything else. I know you liked Thor and Jane in the movies. I think you'll like this!

I loved it on first read, but ended up giving it away after getting more skittish about it with each re-read. It just seemed like there wasn't as much substance to King's vision as I'd originally felt. I don't know, maybe King's just not my cup of arsenic. shrug

In some ways it's kind of cold and by-the-numbers. When characters die, you don't feel as much as you should. Don't get me wrong--there are some really good emotional moments, but it's not all it could have been. I guess you could say that it's clearer than a typical Morrison idea, but it also lacks the beating heart that Morrison's work often lacks.

Last edited by Paladin; 02/04/18 09:46 AM.

Lard Lad #948339 04/29/18 04:51 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Hey Lardy, are the X-Men or Spidey reprinted in TPD formats that are easily transportable in my briefcase? I'm feeling an itch to reread but don't want to transport the original individual issues on the train or in airports. The only thing is I really want them in color. Any recommendations in format?

(Ps - hey! It's been awhile, I know eek)

Cobalt Kid #948344 04/29/18 04:57 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Hey Lardy, are the X-Men or Spidey reprinted in TPD formats that are easily transportable in my briefcase? I'm feeling an itch to reread but don't want to transport the original individual issues on the train or in airports. The only thing is I really want them in color. Any recommendations in format?

I read them in Marvel Masterworks form. They're also available in 3 Omnibus editions apiece. They're a bit pricey, though--but less so at In-Stock trades.

Originally Posted by Cobie
(Ps - hey! It's been awhile, I know eek)

Yeah, no shit! I thought you fell into a vat of Smilex or something! lol

Lard Lad #948346 04/29/18 05:00 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'll check them out. The only time I really have to read them is while I'm traveling at work. This may make the most sense.

And yeah, I did fall in. Now I just can't stop grinning. grin

Lard Lad #948347 04/29/18 05:06 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I sure miss you, you sick son of a bitch!

Lard Lad #950181 05/27/18 12:50 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Pile UPDATE 5/27/18

World War Hulk: Incredible Hercules
100 Bullets Book 2
Detective Comics Rebirth Vol. 2
Batman & Outsiders Vol. 1 HC
Flash Rebirth Vol. 2 & 3
Hawkeye: Kate Bishop Vol. 1
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 2
Thor: Quest for Odin
Doctor Strange: Into Dark Dimension
Postal Vol. 2
Doctor Strange Vol. 4: Mr. Misery
Han Solo TPB
Trinity Rebirth Vol. 1
Superman Rebirth Vol. 3
Spider-Man Brand New Day Complete Collection Vols. 1-2
Batman Rebirth Vol. 3
Deathstroke Rebirth Vol. 2
New Teen Titans Vol. 7
Star Wars Vol. 5
Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide Vol. 6
Batman/Flash: The Button HC
Batman Beyond Rebirth Vol. 1
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol 2

To-Read Pile

Grimjack Omnibus Vol. 2
Howard the Duck Omnibus
Bandette Vol. 2
Pride of Baghdad
Twilight Children
X-Statix Omnibus
All-Star Section Eight
Rachel Rising Omnibus
Superboy & LSH Vol. 1
Mother Russia Vol. 1
Spider-Man Sinister Six
Spider-Man Brand New Day Complete Collection Vol. 3 & 4
Aquaman Rebirth Vol. 3
Cyborg Rebirth Vol. 2
Deathstroke Rebirth Vol. 3
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 3
Thor Omnibus Vol. 3
JLI Omnibus Vol. 1
Super Sons Vol. 1
Batwoman Rebirth Vol. 1
Superman Rebirth Vol. 4
Spider-Man Brand New Day Complete Collection Vol. 4

New Stuff

Avengers Omnibus Vol 3
100 Bullets Book 3
Star Wars Vol. 6
Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide Vol. 7
Detective Comics Rebirth Vols 4 & 5
Superman Reborn
Batgirl/Birds of Prey Rebirth Vol 2
Action Comics Rebirth Vols. 3 & 4
Batgirl Rebirth Vols. 2 & 3
Batman Night of Monster Men
Iron Fist: Trial of Seven Masters
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl HC Vol 2
Red Hood & Outlaws Rebirth Vols. 2 & 3
Aquaman Rebirth Vol 4
Rough Riders Vol. 1
New Teen Titans Vol. 8
Thing: Project Pegasus
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vols. 1 & 2
Star Wars: Screaming Citadel
Doctor Strange Omnibus Vol. 1
Thing: Liberty Legion
Titans: Lazarus Contract
Superman: Oz Effect
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 4
Superman Rebirth Vol. 5
Deathstroke Rebirth Vol. 4
Super Sons Vol. 2

Lard Lad #958559 09/07/18 12:53 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Pile UPDATE 9/7/18

Currently Reading

Superboy & LSH Vol. 1
Aquaman Rebirth Vol. 3
Cyborg Rebirth Vol. 2
Batman Night of Monster Men
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vols. 1
Thing: Liberty Legion
Green Lanterns Rebirth Vol. 3
Southern Bastards Vol. 4
Action Comics Rebirth Vol. 3
Runaways by Rainbow Rowell Vol. 1
Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1 (current series)

To-Read Pile

Grimjack Omnibus Vol. 2
Howard the Duck Omnibus
Bandette Vol. 2
Pride of Baghdad
Twilight Children
X-Statix Omnibus
All-Star Section Eight
Rachel Rising Omnibus
Mother Russia Vol. 1
Spider-Man Sinister Six
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 3
Thor Omnibus Vol. 3
JLI Omnibus Vol. 1
Super Sons Vol. 1
Batwoman Rebirth Vol. 1
Superman Rebirth Vol. 4
Avengers Omnibus Vol 3
100 Bullets Book 3
Star Wars Vol. 6
Superman Reborn
Action Comics Rebirth Vol. 4
Batgirl Rebirth Vols. 2 & 3
Red Hood & Outlaws Rebirth Vols. 2 & 3
Aquaman Rebirth Vol 4
Rough Riders Vol. 1
New Teen Titans Vol. 8
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vol. 2
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 4
Superman Rebirth Vol. 5
Super Sons Vol. 2

New Stuff

Hal Jordan & GLC Rebirth Vol. 4
100 Bullets: Brother Lono
Batman Dark Knight Detective Vol. 1 (Barr/Davis)
Judas Coin (Simonson)
Black Canary: Kicking and Screaming
Hercules: Still Going Strong
Star Wars: Captain Phasma
Batman & Outsiders HC Vol. 2
Batman Beyond Rebirth Vol. 2
Green Lantern Corps Beware Their Power Vol. 1
Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 2 (current series)
Superman: Exile Omnibus
Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide Vol. 8
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 5
Superboy & LSH Vol. 2
Miles Morales Omnibus Vol. 1
Lazarus X+66
Star Wars Vol. 7

Lard Lad #958567 09/07/18 02:33 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Plenty to look forward to in that pile. Stand outs for me are:-

Rachel Rising Omnibus
Batman & Outsiders HC Vol. 2 - If it's the Alan Davis run, I'll have those.

I really should read more fourth world and try to get my mitts on Grimjack.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #958581 09/07/18 08:53 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Plenty to look forward to in that pile. Stand outs for me are:-

Rachel Rising Omnibus
Batman & Outsiders HC Vol. 2 - If it's the Alan Davis run, I'll have those.

I really should read more fourth world and try to get my mitts on Grimjack.

Been waiting for Sunshine and Roses to end to finally dig in to my Stray Bullets book, but there's no end in sight. (Not a bad thing, btw.) I think it would potentially be confusing to read it while the other's still ongoing.

Gonna get to that final part of the Nemo trilogy soonish.

Alpha Flight's waiting for me to finally clear the FF Omnibus. (See re-reads thread for explanation.)

Been reading NTT chronologically thru the new trades. Be a while 'til I get to where Games fits in.

Rachel Rising's been calling to me. I read the first 2 trades a year ago, and they were outstanding! Sought the Omnibus shortly thereafter, and the time feels nigh to read it.

BatO Vol. 2 contains the first 2 Davis issues. One can NEVER get enough Alan Davis! BTW, the "Dark Knight Detective" trade features the Barr/Davis Detective stories.

Lard Lad #971622 05/27/19 07:43 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Been reading my Doom Patrol Omnibus by Grant Morrison and Richard Case. I thought I might just dip my toe in and re-read the first 2 or 3 arcs and put it down a while, but I'm already up to issue 47! I read the run as it originally came out in floppies, and this is my first-ever re-read. 25-odd years later, it reads like its Morrison's masterpiece! I'm LOVING it--even the parts I still don't understand! lol

Lard Lad #971654 05/28/19 01:02 PM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
Glad to hear it. Nothing quite like rediscovering an old favorite. Looking forward to finding out what you think of the run as a whole after you've finished. nod

Lard Lad #972075 06/06/19 08:27 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Pile UPDATE 6/6/19

Star Wars: Legacy (Ostrander) Vol. 4
Thor Omnibus Vol. 3
Super Sons Vol. 1
Batwoman Rebirth Vol. 1
100 Bullets Book 3
Superman Reborn
Action Comics Rebirth Vol. 4
Batgirl Rebirth Vol. 2
Red Hood & Outlaws Rebirth Vol. 2
Rough Riders Vol. 1
Lazarus X+66

To-Read Pile

Grimjack Omnibus Vol. 2
Howard the Duck Omnibus
Bandette Vol. 2
Pride of Baghdad
Star Wars: Legacy (Ostrander) Vol. 5
Twilight Children
X-Statix Omnibus
All-Star Section Eight
Rachel Rising Omnibus
Mother Russia Vol. 1
Spider-Man Sinister Six
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 3
JLI Omnibus Vol. 1
Superman Rebirth Vol. 4
Avengers Omnibus Vol 3
Batgirl Rebirth Vol. 3
Star Wars Vol. 6
Red Hood & Outlaws Rebirth Vol. 3
Aquaman Rebirth Vol 4
New Teen Titans Vol. 8
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vol. 2
Superman Reborn
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 4
Superman Rebirth Vol. 5
Super Sons Vol. 2
Hal Jordan & GLC Rebirth Vol. 4
100 Bullets: Brother Lono
Batman Dark Knight Detective Vol. 1 (Barr/Davis)
Judas Coin (Simonson)
Black Canary: Kicking and Screaming
Hercules: Still Going Strong
Star Wars: Captain Phasma
Batman & Outsiders HC Vol. 2
Batman Beyond Rebirth Vol. 2
Green Lantern Corps Beware Their Power Vol. 1
Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 2 (current series)
Superman: Exile Omnibus
Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide Vol. 8
Nightwing Rebirth Vol. 5
Superboy & LSH Vol. 2
Miles Morales Omnibus Vol. 1
Star Wars Vol. 7

New Stuff

Captain Marvel: Earth's Mightiest Hero Vols. 1-3
Tomb of Dracula Omnibus
Legends of the Dark Knight Norm Breyfogle Vol 2
Tales of the Batman: Gerry Conway Vols. 1-2
New Teen Titans Vols. 9-10
Justice League Rebirth Vols. 6-7
Aquaman Vol. 5
Batman: White Knight
Crisis on Infinite Earths Companion Deluxe Vol. 1
Green Lanterns Vol. 6
Hal Jordan & GLC Vol. 5
Aquaman: Search for Mera HC
My Boyfriend Is a Bear
Batgirl & BoP Vol. 3
Man of Steel (Bendis)
Action Comics Vol. 5
Star Wars Vol. 8-9
Runaways Vol. 2
Spectacular Spider-Man (current) Vols. 2-3
Fun Home
Hawkeye/Kate Bishop Vol. 2
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 3 HC
Brooklyn Blood (Levitz)
Unknown Soldier (Vertigo) Vols. 3-4
Amazing Spider-Man Worldwide Vol. 9
Conan the Barbarian Omnibus Vol. 1
My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies
100 Bullets Book 4
Fantastic Four Omnibus (Lee/Kirby) Vol. 1
Lady Killer Vol. 1
X-O Manowar: Retribution
Harbinger: Children of the Eighth Day

Lard Lad #972082 06/07/19 08:04 AM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
Lardy, what did you think of the Project Pegasus Saga?

Ann Hebistand #972113 06/07/19 11:10 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L

It was fairly enjoyable, Fick, but it felt kinda slapped together at the same time.I think the nature of the book, being a team-up book, kinda held it back.So you had to have a new guest star every issue (mostly). Usually, the previous hues is still in the story but gets a reduced role in the latest issue. Or maybe the opposite happens, and the latest co-star gets short shrift. (I felt, for example, that Thundra was under-utilized.)

So I think, given the book's format, they did alright. Gruenwald and Macchio were editors who were taking their first stab at writing, and it shows. (Gruenwald would later improve as he went on. Macchio never distinguished himself as a writer.) Someone like Roger Stern or one of the other big writers of the era could have made the story more compelling and highlighted all the players better.

But my itch was scratched. I remember discovering Project Pegasus thru the Official Handbook OTMU, and it was nice to see where the concept originated and to see what was a new, innovative idea for the time rolled out. Sometimes I feel like the Project was underused over time, but it was a significant part of the MU for a while. One thing I kinda loathe about the MU is how certain locations get discarded for the next writer's ideas. I mean, how many superhuman prisons have we gone through in the MU over the decades? What's even the current one?!?!

I'm glad I finally got to read it, but I realized pretty quickly that its re-read appeal for me was pretty much nil, so I ultimately brought it in with some other collections to my CBS in exchange for store credit.

Lard Lad #972123 06/08/19 04:30 AM
Active
Active
And Super Sons? As we approach the finish line for the book,at least as it has existed so far, it’s been on my mind a lot lately.

Lard Lad #972129 06/08/19 01:58 PM
Independent Scholar
Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar

It was fairly enjoyable, Fick, but it felt kinda slapped together at the same time.I think the nature of the book, being a team-up book, kinda held it back.So you had to have a new guest star every issue (mostly). Usually, the previous guest is still in the story but gets a reduced role in the latest issue. Or maybe the opposite happens, and the latest co-star gets short shrift. (I felt, for example, that Thundra was under-utilized.)

So I think, given the book's format, they did alright. Gruenwald and Macchio were editors who were taking their first stab at writing, and it shows. (Gruenwald would later improve as he went on. Macchio never distinguished himself as a writer.) Someone like Roger Stern or one of the other big writers of the era could have made the story more compelling and highlighted all the players better.

But my itch was scratched. I remember discovering Project Pegasus thru the Official Handbook OTMU, and it was nice to see where the concept originated and to see what was a new, innovative idea for the time rolled out. Sometimes I feel like the Project was underused over time, but it was a significant part of the MU for a while. One thing I kinda loathe about the MU is how certain locations get discarded for the next writer's ideas. I mean, how many superhuman prisons have we gone through in the MU over the decades? What's even the current one?!?!

I'm glad I finally got to read it, but I realized pretty quickly that its re-read appeal for me was pretty much nil, so I ultimately brought it in with some other collections to my CBS in exchange for store credit.

Fair enough. I'm not sure how to explain this, but I have a sentimental spot for the old-school team-up book format -- even when it resulted in awkward lopsidedness and plot contrivances, I consider that part of the format's charm. But I can see where other readers might find it off-putting, like it seems you did.

I do agree that Thundra should have remained a substantial cast member throughout the storyarc.

But I disagree about Gruenwald and Macchio's later writing work -- I consider Gruenwald to have never developed the proper technical chops, as well as being the worst dialoguer in the history of superhero comics (worse even than Bronze Age Kirby,) while I think Macchio's Black Widow stories from the early 80s (the Marvel Fanfare 4-parter with George Perez and the Bizarre Adventures one with Paul Gulacy) are seriously underrated. And, yes, most of what Macchio has written since then is a lot of forgettable fill-in stuff, but he could always out-dialogue and out-structure and out-pace Gruenwald by miles. In my opinion, naturally.

Roger Stern, funnily enough, was actually the editor of M2IO throughout the Project Pegasus arc. This was concurrent with his excellent editorship of the Claremont/Byrne UXM.

I'm also surprised you didn't say anything about the art -- I think Byrne and Sinnott meshed very nicely in the first half (though it's likely Byrne only did breakdowns,) and while Perez hadn't quite developed his own style at the time, the second half is still a very attractive example of the Bronze Age Marvel House Style.

Ann Hebistand #972144 06/08/19 11:28 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L

Fair enough. I'm not sure how to explain this, but I have a sentimental spot for the old-school team-up book format -- even when it resulted in awkward lopsidedness and plot contrivances, I consider that part of the format's charm. But I can see where other readers might find it off-putting, like it seems you did.

No, I didn't mean that at all! I LOVED MTU and DCCP growing up! I said here before that they (especially DCCP) were great gateways into their larger respective universes. There are many great done-in-ones in these types of books and even a few terrific 2- or 3-parters. Something else else comparatively massive like Project Pegasus would seem ill-suited to the format, however. When you've got that quota to have a different guest star every issue, it doesn't feel organic.

However, nothing I've said is meant to imply this storyline was anywhere near a failure. It was ambitious and achieved a good bit within the book's constraints. I think if I had a more personal connection to the story, like if I'd read and enjoyed it when I was a kid, I probably wouldn't have turned the book in. I certainly liked it, but when you have as many trades as I do, I try to be honest with myself as to whether I might be inclined to re-read it at some point. The answer was "no", and there have been quite a few books that I was surprised to get a similar answer from myself. Off the top of my head, one of these was the Daredevil by Frank Miller Omnibus that collected his whole first run. I ended up not keeping that one.

I do agree that Thundra should have remained a substantial cast member throughout the storyarc.

I remember there was something about her being romantically interested in Ben in the arc. That really didn't go anywhere, but it could have been interesting. Not that that was her only value, but it is something that intrigued me as I read it.

Sadly, I've yet to read a Thundra story that lives up to the potential I see in the character, and here was the latest miss.

But I disagree about Gruenwald and Macchio's later writing work -- I consider Gruenwald to have never developed the proper technical chops, as well as being the worst dialoguer in the history of superhero comics (worse even than Bronze Age Kirby,) while I think Macchio's Black Widow stories from the early 80s (the Marvel Fanfare 4-parter with George Perez and the Bizarre Adventures one with Paul Gulacy) are seriously underrated. And, yes, most of what Macchio has written since then is a lot of forgettable fill-in stuff, but he could always out-dialogue and out-structure and out-pace Gruenwald by miles. In my opinion, naturally.

This isn't really my personal opinion on the two but reflects my impressions of what the general comic-reading public thinks about them. Gruenwald seems revered for his Squadron Supreme work and his work on Quasar (and to a lesser degree for his long run on Cap), while the biggest thing anything ever says about Macchio is the joke about whether or not he's the silver screen's Karate Kid! lol It sounds like, at the very least, he has a smaller sample size of writing then Gruenwald had. Plus, well, Gruenwald being dead I'm sure gives him some artificial pomp the way some dead celebrities get who may not necessarily deserve it.

Roger Stern, funnily enough, was actually the editor of M2IO throughout the Project Pegasus arc. This was concurrent with his excellent editorship of the Claremont/Byrne UXM.

Might have been subliminally jingling in my noggin when I mentioned him earlier. I'm sure I probably saw his name in the credits when I read it, and I filed it away somewhere!

I'm also surprised you didn't say anything about the art -- I think Byrne and Sinnott meshed very nicely in the first half (though it's likely Byrne only did breakdowns,) and while Perez hadn't quite developed his own style at the time, the second half is still a very attractive example of the Bronze Age Marvel House Style.

I think you hit the nail on the head: it wasn't full Byrne art, and Perez was more homogenized at the time. Nothing bad about the art--it was pretty much all of what I like about Bronze Age styles but also not all that extraordinary at the same time. If this was like Cockrum or Byrne on the X-Men or Perez circa New Teen Titans or even a solid Gil Kane effort, I probably would have been gushing like crazy! Otherwise, it was well-done but not particularly memorable, kinda like how I feel about Ross Andru and Keith Pollard on Spidey after the giants that they followed.

Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,856
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Dave Hackett
Dave Hackett
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star