Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 05:03 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 03/27/24 04:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/27/24 10:23 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:17 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Share more completely random things!
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 03/27/24 07:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: What is Your Legion World Story?
Invisible Brainiac #813589 07/03/14 11:02 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Come on, people! Come on in and share your stories. What better way to celebrate Legion World's 11th birthday than by telling us how you came to be part of the community?

Invisible Brainiac #813664 07/04/14 05:32 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
You know that music video where the leads are made for each other, but never seem to quite meet and connect? Yeah, I think its rubbish too. Something else else else we have in common!

I get a legion bug every few years or so…

Back in the last millennium, I knew I’d end up with doing some website tasks at work. A Legion site was the first I thought of as I hadn’t really seen anything I liked. In the end I did something that actually made some pennies instead, but Legion and websites were linked from then.

I looked at the DC boards on a few occasions but never really found a thread I really connected with.

I remember seeing a starry backgrounded Legion site just at the time I’d seen a glut of starry backgrounded websites and could really have done without seeing another.

There was the time I took a look at the history of the Legion World, only to go into the role playing history when I should have stuck to the comics threads.

More recently, I was one attempt away from abandoning the registration process – it was almost thoth lad/boy/lass or some such.

Without a forum to call my own, I found myself on a DC yahoo group. While not a huge poster, I did find that I had views on a number of comics issues and, indeed, issues. It certainly reminded me of the fondness I had for the Legion.

But what prompted me to get through the Legion World registration was the last Levitz issue. That bitter-sweet ending with the lovely Maguire art meant that I just had to post somewhere.

Having done that, I worked my way through a lot of the site’s history and threads, discovering all the great comments I had missed out on for all those years. That led to more posts…

The rest, as they say, is bagged in the evidence locker awaiting the trial.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #813709 07/05/14 12:01 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
So thothkins joined because the Legion comic ended.

At least we got something good out of the cancellation smile

How about the rest of ya??

Invisible Brainiac #813724 07/05/14 02:53 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
You were right Ibby. Making something up read much better than "thothkins: Spaceopoly addict" smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #813728 07/05/14 05:00 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
It worked for me so well when I started this thread, thothkins smile

Invisible Brainiac #822800 09/28/14 08:22 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
bump

I hope it's okay to perform some necromancy on this thread. tongue

I've been reading comics since roughly 2006, at the age of 10. My first comics were issues of Amazing Spider-man given to me by my cousins in India during my vacations there. I would spend hours reading them and I soon branched out to DC comics from there, particularly the Flash and Green Lantern who are still my favorite characters to this day.

I first started reading about the Legion roughly 3 years ago, when I stumbled upon them on the DC wiki while looking up something about Professor Zoom from a Flash comic I was reading(Flash v2# 79 if you're curious wink ). "Teenage superheroes in the 31st century?! That sounds so crazy enough that it's awesome!". My enthusiasm led me to stumble upon several issues of the Postboot Legion and I just couldn't get enough. I was initially confused by a lot of the continuity reference, but I just looked up the stuff I was confused about and continued to love the Legion's convoluted history even more. From there, I continued to collect more Legion stories, from the DnA era to the pre-Crisis Levitz run to the Baxter era to the recent Retroboot.

In 2013, I joined the Comic Book Resources(CBR) forums. I mostly talked about the Flash and Green Lantern on the DC Boards and became one of its resident H.E.A.T fanatics, but the Legion fans were largely scarce there save for a few obsessed posters like Desaad. I continued to try to spark Legion talk there, but most people didn't really offer the type of conversation I was looking for.

This summer, I was tired of the lack of Legion talk on CBR and Googled "Legion of Super-heroes fan forum" and somehow stumbled on Legion World! I was amazed that there was not only such a large Legion fan forum out there, but one that was this old! At first, I was intimidated by the really close community here and thought I wouldn't fit in, but you guys have been really welcoming, especially Ibby and Rocky! cool

So thanks for the great experiences LW and here's to many more to come hopefully.

Long Live the Legion!

Last edited by Braal Janitor; 09/28/14 08:56 PM.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Invisible Brainiac #822802 09/28/14 08:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Braal Janitor, we're glad you're here! This crew is an open and welcoming bunch. And you've proven you know the secret to gaining LW friendships...persistent, personal, playful posting. wink

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Invisible Brainiac #822803 09/28/14 08:52 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Thanks for sharing your story, Braal Janitor. It's great to see someone so young get into the Legion and LW.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
lil'rhino #822805 09/28/14 09:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Braal Janitor's post prompted me to review this thread, and I realized I'd never posted my story. It starts a lot like this:

Originally Posted by lil'rhino
In 1999, I found the rec.arts Legion board & the DC Legion board & started posting on both.
The other posters at rec.arts were mean, bitter, humorless & argumentative, so I stopped going there. The posters at the DC boards were less so(except for that evil sk8maven), so I stayed.
12 years later & a different board(our own board)-I'm still here!!

My first ventures onto the Internet were via WebTV (before I had a computer), and that led me to the rec.arts Legion forum which was moderated by Johanna Draper Carlson. I don't recall when I started visiting rec.arts.lsh...sometime in the late '90s. Johanna and a few others there were great, but as Rhino said, lots of posters were not pleasant...yes, I remember sk8maven too. I still have e-mail versions of some memorable posts from that time, as well as Andy Lanning's response to a fan e-mail I sent him.

I never found the DC Boards, as I recall, but I did visit Rob's Damn Board, and it may have been there I learned about Legion World. I joined here just a few days after it opened. I mostly lurked until around 2010 when my occasional posts prompted Kent Shakespeare to assume I was an alt-ID. That's when I woke up and become a Real Legion Worlder. wink

It was goofy interactions, especially with cleome, Dev-Em, future king (miss you, amigo), and rickshaw1 that exploded my posting in those early months after "coming out". Since then it's been a delight to get to know and interact with more and more of my heroes on Legion World!

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Kappa Kid #822819 09/28/14 09:39 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
This is awesome! I'm so glad you guys shared your stories, BraJa and LT!

Originally Posted by Braal Janitor
bump

I hope it's okay to perform some necromancy on this thread. tongue

I'm elated that you did, BraJa grin Thanks! Always good to hear stories from newer posters.

My enthusiasm led me to stumble upon several issues of the Postboot Legion and I just couldn't get enough. (snip) From there, I continued to collect more Legion stories, from the DnA era to the pre-Crisis Levitz run to the Baxter era to the recent Retroboot.

My story is much the same, started with the Post Zero Hour team and branched off into the other versions. One thing I like about LW is most of us are able to appreciate different eras and versions of the team.

I At first, I was intimidated by the really close community here and thought I wouldn't fit in, but you guys have been really welcoming, especially Ibby and Rocky! cool

So thanks for the great experiences LW and here's to many more to come hopefully.

Long Live the Legion!

I gotta say you've definitely proven that you fit in, and it's only been two months! Thanks for adding a lot of life to these boards smile

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 09/28/14 09:40 PM. Reason: fixed quotes
Invisible Brainiac #822822 09/28/14 09:57 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I'm still getting the hang of the whole roleplay thing going on here. I'm having fun doing it though. laugh

Legion Tracker #822827 09/28/14 11:17 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Legion Tracker
Braal Janitor's post prompted me to review this thread, and I realized I'd never posted my story. It starts a lot like this:

Better late than never, LT! But your story made me realize, you registered near the beginning of LW (even before I did in fact)! Glad you decided to de-lurk smile

Originally Posted by lil'rhino
(snip)The posters at the DC boards were less so(except for that evil sk8maven), so I stayed.
12 years later & a different board(our own board)-I'm still here!!

(snip)
and that led me to the rec.arts Legion forum which was moderated by Johanna Draper Carlson.

(snip)Johanna and a few others there were great, but as Rhino said, lots of posters were not pleasant...yes, I remember sk8maven too. I still have e-mail versions of some memorable posts from that time, as well as Andy Lanning's response to a fan e-mail I sent him.

"That evil sk8maven". That just makes me laugh I have never encountered sk8maven but have heard of her.

Since then it's been a delight to get to know and interact with more and more of my heroes on Legion World!

I felt much the same way too. After lurking on the DC Boards and on Rob's Damn Boards, it was such a delight to actually speak and interact with people who, for the longest time, had just been screen names/personalities whom I have admired for a while!

Kappa Kid #822829 09/28/14 11:20 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I'm still getting the hang of the whole roleplay thing going on here. I'm having fun doing it though. laugh

I think you're doing quite well with it. The main roleplay "rules" are:

1) keep with the tone of the thread, some threads are meant for "real life" while others are for us to be as imaginary as we want

2) during roleplaying/fic writing, if doing something permanent/serious/major with someone else's "character", ask permission. of course, some characters are pretty much common domain (like that one time we inducted Britney Spears, Gary Coleman and Frankie Muniz into the LMB!)

3) when in doubt, feel free to ask!

Oh, and this guide to roleplaying on the MMB should help too!

Invisible Brainiac #822833 09/28/14 11:37 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Since most of "Braal Janitor's" stories have taken place in the actual LSH universe (conquering Braal, elected and impeached as LSV leader, living as a Trom hobo), but you and Rocky also took part in those stories, does that mean Braal Janitor is from a different Earth in the multiverse than the rest of the LMB members? laugh

Last edited by Braal Janitor; 09/28/14 11:55 PM.

Invisible Brainiac #822834 09/29/14 12:00 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Hmm I guess I should make myself a new avatar then, seeing that Cosmic Boy isn't a fitting avatar for someone who's a member of the LSV and conquered Braal. laugh

Invisible Brainiac #822837 09/29/14 01:21 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Some posters would say that Cosmic Boy fits your actions perfectly tongue

Invisible Brainiac #822838 09/29/14 01:23 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Don't worry, I actually have a Microhero avatar for Braal Janitor I made for a roleplaying game last year. Hopefully it isn't too shabby compared to everyone elses. tongue

Invisible Brainiac #822870 09/29/14 11:22 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
Thanks for sharing your story, Braal Janitor. It's great to see someone so young get into the Legion and LW.

What He Who said! Legion, like all mainstream comics properties, needs to be appreciated by each successive generation in order to survive.

I first started reading about the Legion roughly 3 years ago, when I stumbled upon them on the DC wiki while looking up something about Professor Zoom from a Flash comic I was reading(Flash v2# 79 if you're curious wink

This is amazing. First it turns out that Rathmaker and I have Green Lantern: Rebirth as a touchstone, now it turns out that BraJa and I share a connection to Flash v.2 #79 -- that was the issue (the conclusion of The Return of Barry Allen) that turned me into a Flash fan!

I mostly lurked until around 2010 when my occasional posts prompted Kent Shakespeare to assume I was an alt-id. That's when I woke up and become a Real Legion Worlder. wink

Glad to have you here, LT. I especially appreciate your reviews in the Anywhere Machine's So What Are You Reading? thread.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Invisible Brainiac #822974 09/29/14 10:40 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Thanks for the kind words, BraJa. You've fit in here just fine. One of the things I have always loved is that this is truly a multi-generational community. Fun is had by all. nod

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
Invisible Brainiac #823037 09/30/14 05:22 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Multinational and multicultural, too smile

Invisible Brainiac #823043 09/30/14 05:38 PM
And multisexual. grin

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Invisible Brainiac #828330 11/16/14 04:26 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
And how smile We even have Cobie and his sheep, and a Giant RoboticLesbian...

Would any of our new members like to share their stories?

Invisible Brainiac #835349 01/17/15 03:30 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
[Linked Image]

Invisible Brainiac #835428 01/17/15 11:17 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
All new members soon realize that the majority of men on this site are only interested in other men!

Invisible Brainiac #842891 03/12/15 05:15 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
bump up for the festivities!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,269
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
String
String
The Bright, Sunny South
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star